User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go dig a hole with any square shovel.  You’ll see what I mean.  Then imagine trying to do it with a short little version.
View Quote

Good job everybody, we just rediscovered why there's both spades and shovels, and they're not the same!

I love the vintage look of my prewar Swiss square shovel, but there's little reason why it couldn't have a pointed spade blade in the same size envelope on the belt or pack.  The Russians at least have that right amongst the fixed-handled versions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just my personal opinion, but I'll take a combination of a pick and a shovel over any shovel that I've ever seen, including folding shovels that can sorta act like a pick.  Even certain shovels that have a fold-out pick implement are not nearly as good as a purpose-made pick, although such rare tools are better than any sort of simple shovel.

IMHO, simply no comparison on most soils, especially compacted soils and rocky soils.

If you want to dig efficiently, then use both a pick and a shovel.   The Roman army understood this thousands of years ago.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Without getting into brands, the issue that the .mil tries to solve is issuing one tool to everybody, and when you do that, there is going to be a compromise somewhere. A combo tool of whatever kind is not going to perform as well as either a dedicated shovel or pick.

So my vote FWIW if you must buy only one tool, is to buy a combo tool, because you're not likely to use or abuse it nearly to the extent that PFC Schmuckatelli might, since it is your property, and you aren't digging with the urgency that comes from worrying about incoming shell splinters.

If you have the luxury of more budget and space in your vehicle, then get a small shovel AND a small pick.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just my personal opinion, but I'll take a combination of a pick and a shovel over any shovel that I've ever seen, including folding shovels that can sorta act like a pick.  Even certain shovels that have a fold-out pick implement are not nearly as good as a purpose-made pick, although such rare tools are better than any sort of simple shovel.

IMHO, simply no comparison on most soils, especially compacted soils and rocky soils.

If you want to dig efficiently, then use both a pick and a shovel.   The Roman army understood this thousands of years ago.
View Quote

A grubbing hoe (talache in Spanish) is the best digging implement ever made.  Carrying one around sucks, though.

Where I come from, they tend to be built heavier (with a heavier haft) than that.

I cleared many acres with one in my youth.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. Why they don't just issue both, or one tool of either type to every other dude, I'll never quite understand.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Have had a few - the Cold Steel one seems to have been the best so far.  Actually use it gardening, great for cutting roots and woody plants.  However, I haven't found a good cover it.  Bought a cheap cover but wasn't any good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly. Why they don't just issue both, or one tool of either type to every other dude, I'll never quite understand.
View Quote
IDK if USGI picks are even issued anymore.

Just my opinion, and YMMV.

Given recent experiences in Ukraine, I reckon being able to quickly and efficiently dig a fighting position might be very useful.  Decent Picks being highly useful, IMHO.

NOT an Expert, but I've dug some holes using Mil-Spec E-Tools and other tools.  Picks always extremely useful tools.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I prefer the longer handled version of the Cold Steel.

Trench Shovel
View Quote

I have that, and the original.   Both are must own items.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top