Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw one of these years ago at a surplus shop. You can probably build a more useful kit by visiting an outdoors store, but this might offer some ideas. Personally I'd add some depth to it: extra hooks, sinkers, and line because I've lost a lot of tackle over the year to snags and apparently whales, or great whites.

https://www.datrex.com/product/fishing-kit-uscg/
View Quote

That's an interesting suggestion.  I think the SOLAS (Safety On Land And Sea)  (Safety Of Life At Sea) kit might be kinda oriented to deep-water (likely salt water) usage, but a useful point of departure for any kit, I think.  Much obliged.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's an interesting suggestion.  I think the SOLAS (Safety On Land And Sea) kit might be kinda oriented to deep-water (likely salt water) usage, but a useful point of departure for any kit, I think.  Much obliged.
View Quote

SOLAS - Safety Of Life At Sea.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hell yeah.

I need to get my boat out of the shop.
View Quote

I do most of my fishing from shore using ultralight (2-4lb test) rig.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's an interesting suggestion.  I think the SOLAS (Safety On Land And Sea)  (Safety Of Life At Sea) kit might be kinda oriented to deep-water (likely salt water) usage, but a useful point of departure for any kit, I think.  Much obliged.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw one of these years ago at a surplus shop. You can probably build a more useful kit by visiting an outdoors store, but this might offer some ideas. Personally I'd add some depth to it: extra hooks, sinkers, and line because I've lost a lot of tackle over the year to snags and apparently whales, or great whites.

I think you could assemble the same kit for far less than $50, but it seems to cover the essentials.  You could catch fish anywhere with that kit, IMO.  I would add some hooks smaller than the smallest in the kit though.  The artificial baits would be difficult to use without a pole and reel, IMO (not impossible, just difficult).
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think you could assemble the same kit for far less than $50, but it seems to cover the essentials.  You could catch fish anywhere with that kit, IMO.  I would add some hooks smaller than the smallest in the kit though.  The artificial baits would be difficult to use without a pole and reel, IMO (not impossible, just difficult).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have virtually everything to learn given my current state of ignorance.  This thread has provided some very useful guidance.  Hopefully others in a similar position will also get some benefit.

I've yet to visit local fishing tackle store.  In advance of doing so, I'll jot down some of the most-repeated suggestions in advance.

FWIW, there are many low bridges/causeways hereabouts which are thronged by local fisher-folk, some of them with what appears to be very simple gear, indeed; not every one of them uses a fishing pole, though most seem to do so.  Some locations in salt water, some in brackish water, and some in fresh water.

Asking somewhat intelligent questions amongst them might be useful.  Trick is to find those who speak English, and no insult intended.

Will report back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have virtually everything to learn given my current state of ignorance.  This thread has provided some very useful guidance.  Hopefully others in a similar position will also get some benefit.

I've yet to visit local fishing tackle store.  In advance of doing so, I'll jot down some of the most-repeated suggestions in advance.

FWIW, there are many low bridges/causeways hereabouts which are thronged by local fisher-folk, some of them with what appears to be very simple gear, indeed; not every one of them uses a fishing pole, though most seem to do so.  Some locations in salt water, some in brackish water, and some in fresh water.

Asking somewhat intelligent questions amongst them might be useful.  Trick is to find those who speak English, and no insult intended.

Will report back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will report back.

It doesn’t take a thousand dollars worth of gear to catch a few fish.

Watching people doing it and asking questions is a good start… but ultimately you need to just do it.

For probably $5 you could buy a pack of perch hooks and a small, cheap spool of line and try to catch perch/bream/crappie/sunfish or similar.  You can literally tie your string to a 4’ stick, tie a hook on the end, and do it,  a little grasshopper can yield 3-4 pieces of bait or more (if you can catch one), and if you can find a school of fish, you can catch them.  I did that for the first time when I was probably 5, and did it most recently maybe a year ago, just like that.  You can fish for food, fish for bait, or catch and release.

It’s actually a lot of fun, and the more you do it, the easier it gets.  

It doesn’t take much skill, costs almost nothing and will teach you a lot. From there, it’s easy to move on to more involved fishing (which probably involves more gear).

If you can catch bait sized fish, you can use that to catch bigger fish and stay on a low budget path pretty easily.

You’re only limited by your imagination, budget, and having a place (and the time) to fish.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It doesn't take a thousand dollars worth of gear to catch a few fish.

Watching people doing it and asking questions is a good start  but ultimately you need to just do it.

For probably $5 you could buy a pack of perch hooks and a small, cheap spool of line and try to catch perch/bream/crappie/sunfish or similar.  You can literally tie your string to a 4' stick, tie a hook on the end, and do it,  a little grasshopper can yield 3-4 pieces of bait or more (if you can catch one), and if you can find a school of fish, you can catch them.  I did that for the first time when I was probably 5, and did it most recently maybe a year ago, just like that.  You can fish for food, fish for bait, or catch and release.

It's actually a lot of fun, and the more you do it, the easier it gets.  

It doesn't take much skill, costs almost nothing and will teach you a lot. From there, it's easy to move on to more involved fishing (which probably involves more gear).

If you can catch bait sized fish, you can use that to catch bigger fish and stay on a low budget path pretty easily.

You're only limited by your imagination, budget, and having a place (and the time) to fish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will report back.

It doesn't take a thousand dollars worth of gear to catch a few fish.

Watching people doing it and asking questions is a good start  but ultimately you need to just do it.

For probably $5 you could buy a pack of perch hooks and a small, cheap spool of line and try to catch perch/bream/crappie/sunfish or similar.  You can literally tie your string to a 4' stick, tie a hook on the end, and do it,  a little grasshopper can yield 3-4 pieces of bait or more (if you can catch one), and if you can find a school of fish, you can catch them.  I did that for the first time when I was probably 5, and did it most recently maybe a year ago, just like that.  You can fish for food, fish for bait, or catch and release.

It's actually a lot of fun, and the more you do it, the easier it gets.  

It doesn't take much skill, costs almost nothing and will teach you a lot. From there, it's easy to move on to more involved fishing (which probably involves more gear).

You're only limited by your imagination, budget, and having a place (and the time) to fish.

Wise advice!  My "budget" for such an "emergency fishing kit" probably exceeds what is actually necessary.  Understood that experience is at least as valuable as gear, probably more so.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Watching people doing it and asking questions is a good start… but ultimately you need to just do it.

For probably $5 you could buy a pack of perch hooks and a small, cheap spool of line and try to catch perch/bream/crappie/sunfish or similar.  You can literally tie your string to a 4’ stick, tie a hook on the end, and do it,  a little grasshopper can yield 3-4 pieces of bait or more (if you can catch one), and if you can find a school of fish, you can catch them.  I did that for the first time when I was probably 5, and did it most recently maybe a year ago, just like that.  You can fish for food, fish for bait, or catch and release.

It doesn’t take much skill, costs almost nothing and will teach you a lot. From there, it’s easy to move on to more involved fishing (which probably involves more gear).

You’re only limited by your imagination, budget, and having a place (and the time) to fish.
View Quote

I turn my nephews loose with a small yoyo with 10 lb mono, a styrofoam bobber and a perch hook tipped with Fishbites.  They turn into bait catching machines.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I learned to fish when I was a kid in Georgia using a cane pole, bobber, hook and bread.  Caught a ton of bluegill.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I turn my nephews loose with a small yoyo with 10 lb mono, a styrofoam bobber and a perch hook tipped with Fishbites.  They turn into bait catching machines.
View Quote

Doesn’t even take a bobber- just watch your line.  It’ll run when they have it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
A follow up- I stopped by the hideously overpriced sporting goods store on the way home.

To get a spool of the cheapest mono and a pack of perch hooks will run you about $7.50, not $5.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I, as a novice, expect to get "over-priced" in buying stuff.  Prices everywhere are going up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I, as a novice, expect to get "over-priced" in buying stuff.  Prices everywhere are going up.
View Quote

Screw that (unless you just want to pay more) - if you just want to screw around and learn some stuff, in this case it’s perfectly ok to buy the cheapest you can find.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully not buying unnecessary stuff nor paying exorbitant prices; that's the point of asking advice from experts in this thread.

Maybe asking too much, but perhaps some experts can "define" the contents of a small "emergency" fishing kit.

"Define" means that I as a total novice can go to WalMart or local fishing tackle shop and buy the suggested items.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hopefully not buying unnecessary stuff nor paying exorbitant prices; that's the point of asking advice from experts in this thread.

Maybe asking too much, but perhaps some experts can "define" the contents of a small "emergency" fishing kit.

"Define" means that I as a total novice can go to WalMart or local fishing tackle shop and buy the suggested items.

View Quote

I posted one earlier, a multipack that includes a variety of hooks and weights and a couple of packs of leader.

Best prep is to learn to fish first.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A fly fishing setup can catch about anything and is very compact with a 4 piece rod. A reel and box of flies takes up little space also. I keep one in my truck 24/7, under the back seat by the jack.
View Quote

This works. I keep a 3 piece spinning rig as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Rather than buy the card kit, take $15 and go to Wally World. Buy hooks of various sizes, a few bobbers, a spinner bait, and line.  Add a pair of pliers and a knife.

When you need it, find a large pole.  Tie off some line to it.  

Also learn how to make trot line or toss line.  You can fish while you sleep.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What are the mini-screw eyes for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I found them just very fast and convenient to run a line through so I can reach out further with a line, places that are too tight to cast or even toss a line.

Quoted:

I really like Emmrod and have a few. I kind of thought they were gimmicky, but I love their fly rod. They're not going to replace a 9 foot fly rod, but in small mountain creeks and tight areas, they're great. They have some real small pack rods perfect for such a fishing/foraging kit and while passive fishing is often much more effective, they're fun to use at times to test the waters:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I found them just very fast and convenient to run a line through so I can reach out further with a line, places that are too tight to cast or even toss a line.

I really like Emmrod and have a few. I kind of thought they were gimmicky, but I love their fly rod. They're not going to replace a 9 foot fly rod, but in small mountain creeks and tight areas, they're great. They have some real small pack rods perfect for such a fishing/foraging kit and while passive fishing is often much more effective, they're fun to use at times to test the waters:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/FishingKit1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Hiking%20Pictures/.highres/DSC03872.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Hiking%20Pictures/.highres/Pisgah-2.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF0443_zps2dycvkyv.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF0442_zpskjobftg1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/.highres/FishingKit1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Hiking%20Pictures/.highres/DSC03872.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Hiking%20Pictures/.highres/Pisgah-2.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF0443_zps2dycvkyv.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/DSCF0442_zpskjobftg1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
Interesting rig.  How does it pack down for transport/storage?
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Interesting rig.  How does it pack down for transport/storage?
View Quote

Just added a picture. The "rod" is locked in well, but can be removed and the handle fits through the coils to be really compact...

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/.highres/DSC03806.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/.highres/DSC03811.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/.highres/DSC03810.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/.highres/DSC03808.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

I love catching bluegill!
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love catching bluegill!
View Quote

I grew up catching rainbow trout and fly fishing and living in the SE where bream and bass reign supreme, it's take a while to figure them out. That said, my lightest rig makes a hand-sized bluegill feel like a 30 pound steelhead! I don't use an anchor in our kayak and those buggers will spin me in circles, they're a blast to catch with a light rig.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I foul hooked a yellow fin jack with a snatch hook one day and thought I'd hooked a SSBN
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I grew up catching rainbow trout and fly fishing and living in the SE where bream and bass reign supreme, it's take a while to figure them out. That said, my lightest rig makes a hand-sized bluegill feel like a 30 pound steelhead! I don't use an anchor in our kayak and those buggers will spin me in circles, they're a blast to catch with a light rig.

ROCK6

View Quote

I love how they do that tight circle as they dive to get away.  They are the biggest scrapper pound for pound.

Biggest one I caught was just under a pound.  I let him go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Late to the party but I’d like to add:

Survival fishing is different than sport fishing. Will a $1000 Stella/St Croix setup work for survival? Sure, but remember, youre going for volume, not sport. Youre not going to have time in a SHTF scenario to relax in the salt marsh; you need something set and forget.

For survival I keep trot lines set up and Sabiki rigs. Sabikis are cheap, compact and full rigged and can be tied to a stick, if you have some weight for the other end. There are tons if different types of sabikis so I keep a variety: some look like shrimp or baitfish etc. theyre primarily intended for dropping offshore in the middle of the water column for big baitfish, but could be used anywhere. for trotlines its just a larger sabiki with bare hooks and you put a chunk of worm or cricket or corn on each hook (or just tip with fishbites).

Also if youre near water, and going to bug in, consider minnow traps (or crab traps in my AO) or seine nets. Again, set and forget.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Either in the SAS survival book or book on the SAS I read that don't try for the large fish.
Use small hook's and catch whatever you can.

Large hooks are for large fish, small hook's can catch both.

As a kid I caught a crap load of pearch with a cane pole and small hooks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Either in the SAS survival book or book on the SAS I read that don't try for the large fish.

View Quote

I think it’s a question of goals and application. If you’re a single person trying to traverse distance, small fish can provide enough sustenance to keep moving.  If you’re moving slower or have multiple people to feed, bigger fish makes for more meat.  If you’re (mostly) passive fishing, it’s big return for minimal effort. Presumably, you’ve got better things to do in that situation beside hunting calories all day.

You can catch big fish on a little hook sometimes- you can also get irreplaceable (in this context) hooks broken or lost.  Use the right equipment for the job.

That’s my opinion, anyway… worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think it’s a question of goals and application. If you’re a single person trying to traverse distance, small fish can provide enough sustenance to keep moving.  If you’re moving slower or have multiple people to feed, bigger fish makes for more meat.  If you’re (mostly) passive fishing, it’s big return for minimal effort. Presumably, you’ve got better things to do in that situation beside hunting calories all day.

You can catch big fish on a little hook sometimes- you can also get irreplaceable (in this context) hooks broken or lost.  Use the right equipment for the job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with the sentiment
My thing was what is easier to catch, small or large fish.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread is neat thanks for posting it @raf

I washed out an old clear plastic chew tin (Skoal Snus) and slid some swirl-tail grubs/Mister Twisters onto some jig head hooks and packed the hooks and grubs in that, I find it's a pretty convenient size to slip into a pocket or pack. I have a spool of mono-line but I had no idea they made so many different compact fishing poles. I usually keep a shorter (5') 2-piece light ugly stick in the car with a reel, but a more packable pole would be cool to have. I've watched reviews of the old "Ronco Pocket Fisherman" and thought it was a neat concept but it seems to be somewhat flawed in execution according to the reviews.

I like the swirl tail grubs because it's what I use when I fish regularly and catch plenty of fish from bluegills up to largemouth bass on them, but re-thinking it now those rely somewhat on your cranking speed and I don't know if I could reel in with a stick fast enough. Maybe if I held the line taut in my left hand and made circular motions with a stick in my right hand I could wind the line fast enough to keep them from dragging on the bottom. I'll have to give it a try sometime this summer when my boy and I go fishing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agree with the sentiment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with the sentiment

NM
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Am reading all replies and considering them. I plan on going down to local fishing shop and talking to owner long before local fishing season begins.

Talking to him in "slow season" seems to be wise, I reckon.

I have MUCH to learn and may thanks for useful comments!
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#33]
So, I picked up a few of these hooks. I need to give them a shot (strictly for academic purposes), but top water bream are small and strike everything like little piranhas. These are larger hooks...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top