User Panel

Site Notices
Best lighter? (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The Trekker was originally a design made by Windmill Lighters in Japan; they were originally imported from Japan then I believe they just made a copy in China.

The Windmill models are still available from Japan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125156272914

They are also available at this shop in the UK, but not sure if they ship internationally.

https://mysmokingshop.co.uk/windmill-lighters

However if getting a Windmill, I personally suggest the metal bodied JP Windproof. It's the same windproof core as all of their lighters, but in an indestructible metal case rather then plastic body.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
My Trekker Stormproof lighter is 10+ years old (company bought over by UST, but it looks like the same thing).

I don't smoke, so it's only used for backpacking/camping. There have been years where I wasn't able to make it out, so the lighter literally sat in my pack untouched for 12-18 months. Still had 3/4 of the fuel left, and lit right up on the first click, like it always does.

Only used Vector quintuple refined butane in it, and as mentioned, it lights up first time, every time. The orange rubber armor is dirty and grungy now, but hasn't cracked or peeled, and the lighter's been dropped on rocks with no damage.

For backpacking though, I also carry a Blastmatch as a backup Firestarter.

After I posted, I found out that UST discontinued the Trekker Stormproof lighter (which sucks. They bought over the design/company, and now discontinued it).

The Trekker was originally a design made by Windmill Lighters in Japan; they were originally imported from Japan then I believe they just made a copy in China.

They are also available at this shop in the UK, but not sure if they ship internationally.

However if getting a Windmill, I personally suggest the metal bodied JP Windproof. It's the same windproof core as all of their lighters, but in an indestructible metal case rather then plastic body.

@spydercomonkey

AWESOME! THANKS! Recommended this lighter to a few folks and the response was, "OOS everywhere?". Good to know the original company is still making them (UST seems to have mived ti those stupid rechargeable plasma arc lighters. Leave those things unused, and they'd be dead when you need them).

My original unit was a Windmill, just before UST started marketing their UST printed ones.

Now I know what to search for when this site below runs out.

https://www.survivalgear.us/products/windmill-trekker-lighter
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]

@raf

Thanks! I actually found a site that managed to secure a bunch of them (actually emailed to confirm it wasn't simply an old listing they hadn't revised/taken down, and the owner(?) Emailed back that he actually managed to secure a small batch of them). Ordered one, to have as a spare.

Not particularly cheap at $52 shipped, but as mentioned, the one I have that's 10+ years old is still working great.

They claim that the piezo igniter is supposedly good for 100,000 strikes. If someone smoked 20 cigs/day, that would theoretically last over a decade of use. I wouldn't know. I don't smoke, but when I was a kid, my parents had a refillable piezo BBQ lighter for the old gas stove that was used daily (albeit, not 20x a day), that had seen constant use for a looong time, and the piezoelectric igniter still sparked just fine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:
My Trekker Stormproof lighter is 10+ years old (company bought over by UST, but it looks like the same thing).

I don't smoke, so it's only used for backpacking/camping. There have been years where I wasn't able to make it out, so the lighter literally sat in my pack untouched for 12-18 months. Still had 3/4 of the fuel left, and lit right up on the first click, like it always does.

Only used Vector quintuple refined butane in it, and as mentioned, it lights up first time, every time. The orange rubber armor is dirty and grungy now, but hasn't cracked or peeled, and the lighter's been dropped on rocks with no damage.

W... T...F...

Did someone read this post and buy up all the ones on eBay?

After I posted, I found out that UST discontinued the Trekker Stormproof lighter (which sucks. They bought over the design/company, and now discontinued it).

The ONLY place I could still find them was on eBay (I think I saw 3 New in Package listings at the time). Was really thinking about picking up a second as a spare, as they've been absolutely reliable in the boonies, but I just went and looked, and they're all gone.
Looks like nearest thing is UST Refillable Floating Lighter with Waterproof, Windproof and Impact Resistant Construction.  One left on amazon. @bluemax_1

@raf

Thanks! I actually found a site that managed to secure a bunch of them (actually emailed to confirm it wasn't simply an old listing they hadn't revised/taken down, and the owner(?) Emailed back that he actually managed to secure a small batch of them). Ordered one, to have as a spare.

Not particularly cheap at $52 shipped, but as mentioned, the one I have that's 10+ years old is still working great.

They claim that the piezo igniter is supposedly good for 100,000 strikes. If someone smoked 20 cigs/day, that would theoretically last over a decade of use. I wouldn't know. I don't smoke, but when I was a kid, my parents had a refillable piezo BBQ lighter for the old gas stove that was used daily (albeit, not 20x a day), that had seen constant use for a looong time, and the piezoelectric igniter still sparked just fine.
Glad that I may have helped, even if a small way.  Never know how links to items go.  If you are happy, I'm happy.  All best wishes!
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]

@raf

View All Quotes

W... T...F...

The ONLY place I could still find them was on eBay (I think I saw 3 New in Package listings at the time). Was really thinking about picking up a second as a spare, as they've been absolutely reliable in the boonies, but I just went and looked, and they're all gone.
Looks like nearest thing is UST Refillable Floating Lighter with Waterproof, Windproof and Impact Resistant Construction.  One left on amazon. @bluemax_1

@raf

Very glad to have helped you, no matter what.  Hopefully we all help each other on this forum; that's its' purpose.

If I helped you, I'm very glad.  If not, my apologies.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#4]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

The two lighters I mentioned both have fuel in them from probably eight to ten years ago- no lie, I was working outside of the US for several years and I hadn't pulled them out until this thread.  Both still lit on the first click.  

That said, we're getting into collector territory.  I only carried those fancier lighters a couple of times before going back to two inexpensive Bics (one in my pocket and one in a Ziploc along with some storm matches in a case) and a fire steel plus the small flares for certain uses (on the water and cold weather camping).  the ranger band/inner tube thing has been around forever; I know I learned it in Boy Scouts back in the '80s.  Even when in some weird 3rd world county you can find a cheap Chinese lighter that will work.  I fully understand wanting the finer things in life and there is nothing wrong with that, I've owned some nicer watches for example, but a lighter just isn't something that falls in that category for me.  And I found another old Ronson that was my grandfather's and another pipe lighter while looking for the pack of Zippo flints I knew I had stashed somewhere.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70832/Brunton_-_Copy_jpg-2631895.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

The two lighters I mentioned both have fuel in them from probably eight to ten years ago- no lie, I was working outside of the US for several years and I hadn't pulled them out until this thread.  Both still lit on the first click.  

That said, we're getting into collector territory.  I only carried those fancier lighters a couple of times before going back to two inexpensive Bics (one in my pocket and one in a Ziploc along with some storm matches in a case) and a fire steel plus the small flares for certain uses (on the water and cold weather camping).  the ranger band/inner tube thing has been around forever; I know I learned it in Boy Scouts back in the '80s.  Even when in some weird 3rd world county you can find a cheap Chinese lighter that will work.  I fully understand wanting the finer things in life and there is nothing wrong with that, I've owned some nicer watches for example, but a lighter just isn't something that falls in that category for me.  And I found another old Ronson that was my grandfather's and another pipe lighter while looking for the pack of Zippo flints I knew I had stashed somewhere.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70832/Brunton_-_Copy_jpg-2631895.JPG

For me, it's not so much about collecting (dad had quite a collection before he quit smoking). I just want something reliable when I'm in the boonies, and after reading various actual accounts (not to mention Jack London's 'To Build A Fire'... darned middle school lit ), I wanted something reliable and able to be operated 1-handed. I also carry a UST Blastmatch as a backup firestarter, for those reasons/features.

P.S.
8-10 years is impressive. Any recollection of what fuel you used? I've been using Vector Quintuple refined, but always interested in other options (read the same negatives about cheaper fuels like Ronson etc. mentioned in the thread).
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Would be very useful if you could give details.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:

Seriously?   But yes, I was going to describe a time that we had a BIC lighter explode and it was while I was in the Marine Corps.   One Marine threw a BIC to another and the throw was short.   The BIC hit the concrete, maybe eight inches from his outstretched hand and it exploded, complete with fireball.   Being Marines we did what all Marines must do and we killed a few more BIC's trying to reproduce the results.  We did blow up a second but I think six or eight were rendered garbage without exploding.  

And yes, Marines can break just about anything whether they intend to or not.
Would be very useful if you could give details.

Discovered that in HS

If you toss it high (or hard) at a hard surface like concrete or brick, the Bic shatters and the butane vaporizes. Not sure if it's the flint that ignites the vapor, or something else, but a really high toss (or a fastball type pitch) onto concrete/asphalt/brick makes them explode pretty reliably.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Very glad to have helped you, no matter what.  Hopefully we all help each other on this forum; that's its' purpose.

View All Quotes

W... T...F...

@raf

Wasn't being facetious. I'm genuinely grateful.

I'm glad to know they're still in production, and where to find them. Over the years, I've recommended them to other folks. Good to know that I can direct them to where they can find them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Found a JP Windproof (brushed aluminum case) for $80 (shipped from Japan) on ebay.  Bulkier than the other Windmill lighters mentioned above, but the all-metal case likely is more durable than the plastic case; have seen negative reviews of plastic case, esp. the hinge.  I'll pay a bit extra for the longer-lasting case/hinge; in any event both types are now priced much higher than original price., so the all-metal case seems relatively more worth the money.
View All Quotes

Found a JP Windproof (brushed aluminum case) for $80 (shipped from Japan) on ebay.  Bulkier than the other Windmill lighters mentioned above, but the all-metal case likely is more durable than the plastic case; have seen negative reviews of plastic case, esp. the hinge.  I'll pay a bit extra for the longer-lasting case/hinge; in any event both types are now priced much higher than original price., so the all-metal case seems relatively more worth the money.

JP Windproof, I have several. It is the finest, or one of the finest, current production lighters in the world. See if you can snag the Polished Aluminum, as those I think wear better with age. But both are really beautiful.

Add a P7 Suspension clip to the lanyard loop, and it can be clipped to the pocket like a pocket knife, helping to keep it from getting lost.

The lighter 'core' that goes inside the metal body lasted for years, before finally giving out under a 20 cigarette a day habbit. I contacted Windmill and was able to order a replacement 'core' for about $20, which then screwed right into the old metal body.

JP Windproof is definitely the way to go vs the plastic Windmill lighters.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have recently heard of "Z-Plus" inserts for Zippo lighters. Some of them have a "soft" flame, as opposed to a "Torch" flame, and are refillable Butane inserts which use a striker wheel and replaceable flint.  Apparently, the flame is adjustable, unlike similar Thunderbird and Zippo inserts.  Investigating.  Most of these inserts seem to be available from UK, with exorbitant shipping prices.  

If anyone has any familiarity with the "Z-Plus" Soft flame Zippo insert, and where to buy it at a reasonable price, please chime in.
View Quote

I jusssst purchased a few days ago the Soft Flame Zippo brand insert, and so far I'm impressed.

I'd go with the Zippo brand insert over the Z plus; I've used the Zippo brand single torch jet insert for years with good results.

Newport butane is what I suggest for all lighters, its an optimal blend for torches and soft flame lighters.

https://www.zippo.com/products/butane-lighter-insert-yellow-flame
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it's time to talk about the best Butane fuel for such lighters.  Here's an article that provides some useful info: Butane Fuels

I have heard good and bad about most all commonly available Butane fuels.  I've been using Ronson Butane in my Thunderbird insert for my Zippo, and it "seems" to work OK.  Have both Vector and Colibri Butane fuels suggested, with cross-comments.

View Quote

Newport Butane is what I've found works best. Extremely clean, so doesn't clog up valves, and the blend inside of the gas (a mix of butane, isobutane, and propane) works exceptionally well for both soft flame lighters and jet lighters.

By comparison, Vector butane I found was a little too rich/powerful a gas mix for my Windmill jets, and made the flame overly large to the point where it would stay lit for 1/2 second or so after then lighter button was deactivated. But Vector did work great in more traditional Jet lighters. Overall Newport is the most versatile.

Newport also has a wonderful Cap with multiple lighter adpaters for filling vintage lighter valves. And these adapters are also perfect for depressing a lighter valve to 'Purge' the residual gas in the tank prior to refilling.

Newport Butane is Made in England, which is where the finest butane is made.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]

@spydercomonkey

AWESOME! THANKS! Recommended this lighter to a few folks and the response was, "OOS everywhere?". Good to know the original company is still making them (UST seems to have mived ti those stupid rechargeable plasma arc lighters. Leave those things unused, and they'd be dead when you need them).

My original unit was a Windmill, just before UST started marketing their UST printed ones.

View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Happy to help man.

I collect various windproof lighters, so I'm thrilled to finally have a use for all this arcane knowledge

Thats a good source you found; cheapest anywhere and in the more desirable Orange color.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I've BTDT with all the high dollar lighters, like the OP they've always let me down. I've used Bics for years but the old, often frozen hands do find it difficult to get them to work these days. I tried some MK lighters off Amazon and liked them. Then I stumbled on these extended MKs. I love them. They are all I use these days and they are used daily starting fires in the wood stove.

Yes I still carry matches and a rod in my kit bag and get home bag.

MK-Assorted-Windproof-Refillable-Multipurpose
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dairyfarmer:
I've BTDT with all the high dollar lighters, like the OP they've always let me down. I've used Bics for years but the old, often frozen hands do find it difficult to get them to work these days. I tried some MK lighters off Amazon and liked them. Then I stumbled on these extended MKs. I love them. They are all I use these days and they are used daily starting fires in the wood stove.

Yes I still carry matches and a rod in my kit bag and get home bag.

MK-Assorted-Windproof-Refillable-Multipurpose
View Quote
Excellent link!
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm glad to know they're still in production, and where to find them. Over the years, I've recommended them to other folks. Good to know that I can direct them to where they can find them.
View All Quotes

W... T...F...

@raf

It's all good bluemax_1!  Sometimes I sound a little "snarky" when I don't mean to.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]

@spydercomonkey

View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Unfortunately sorvivalgear site linked above now shows windmill trekker lights as "Sold Out".

Looks like this thread has cleaned out a lot of places, lol!
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:13:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#15]

JP Windproof, I have several. It is the finest, or one of the finest, current production lighters in the world. See if you can snag the Polished Aluminum, as those I think wear better with age. But both are really beautiful.

Add a P7 Suspension clip to the lanyard loop, and it can be clipped to the pocket like a pocket knife, helping to keep it from getting lost.

https://i.redd.it/bu4ja56yz2p11.jpg

The lighter 'core' that goes inside the metal body lasted for years, before finally giving out under a 20 cigarette a day habbit. I contacted Windmill and was able to order a replacement 'core' for about $20, which then screwed right into the old metal body.

View All Quotes

The P-7 clip has possibilities; ordered a 2-pack.  Much obliged.

Unfortunately, that site is a lot like County Comm, so your link will likely cost me some $$$ in the future, lol.

ETA: 2-pack of P-7 clips arrived and included 2 suitably small split rings and two small "snap"-clips.  Better deal than I first thought.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately sorvivalgear site linked above now shows windmill trekker lights as "Sold Out".

View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Lol. Arfcom has the ability to do that with all sorts of random things. Someone posts a link. BOOM! All gone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Lol. Arfcom has the ability to do that with all sorts of random things. Someone posts a link. BOOM! All gone.
View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Yep.  Sometimes when I find something in scant supply, I buy it, and afterwards post about it here.  I think I'm not the only one doing so.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Yep.  Sometimes when I find something in scant supply, I buy it, and afterwards post about it here.  I think I'm not the only one doing so.
View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Definitely. If it's something you're going to get, gotta place the order before posting about it

Lighter arrived today. Yep. New in packaging. Now I have a spare.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Definitely. If it's something you're going to get, gotta place the order before posting about it

View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

I recommend storing the spare lighter fueled, as it helps keep the o-rings and seals tight.

I collect vintage lighters, the ones I've found that still work are the ones that were kept fueled; ones that were kept 'dry' almost always have dead O-rings. I purchased an old stock Windmill from back in the day, it was sadly dead due to old seals drying out.

I've got a spare Windmill jet in my lighter collection thats been fueled for 10-11 years now, and it lights up first time when I test it periodically.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#20]

I recommend storing the spare lighter fueled, as it helps keep the o-rings and seals tight.

I collect vintage lighters, the ones I've found that still work are the ones that were kept fueled; ones that were kept 'dry' almost always have dead O-rings. I purchased an old stock Windmill from back in the day, it was sadly dead due to old seals drying out.

I've got a spare Windmill jet in my lighter collection thats been fueled for 10-11 years now, and it lights up first time when I test it periodically.
View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Good advice! Seen similar things with anything that has seals/o-rings. First thing I did when I got it, was take it out of the package, fill it up and test it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 4:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#21]

View All Quotes

@spydercomonkey

Interesting advice, and not something I would normally have done.  

4-pack of Newport Lighter fuel (gas) arrived today.  I'll fill all the stored lighters with the Newport fuel and use the 1-1/4 cans of Ronson fuel (gas) for EDC lighters just to burn it up.

The 167g cans of Newport are much larger than the 78g cans of Ronson, and each can of the Newport fuel comes with an assortment of tips for different devices.

Thanks for the tip!

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Happy to help, and spread the word of Newport
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Happy to help, and spread the word of Newport
View Quote
Helping each other in Tech Forums is what is best about this site.  GD is the cesspool allows Tech forums to run properly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Brushed aluminum "JP Windproof" Windmill lighter arrived yesterday.  Appears to be a fine, well-made unit, and glad I managed to get one.  Instructions almost completely in some Asian language, but no matter.  Case of the lighter will likely survive being run over by a car suffering only scratches.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Brushed aluminum "JP Windproof" Windmill lighter arrived yesterday.  Appears to be a fine, well-made unit, and glad I managed to get one.  Instructions almost completely in some Asian language, but no matter.  Case of the lighter will likely survive being run over by a car suffering only scratches.
View Quote

Those look really nice (as does the Windmill AWL All-weather lighter), especially for someone who might use it every day.

I ended up snagging the last orange Windmill Delta Turbo on ebay (they still had green or black IIRC). While I don't know that it would survive a car running over it, I like the orange rubber armor on the Windmill Quest/UST Trekker, and it looks like the flatter Delta Turbo could comfortably slip into a pocket of my winter jacket, for just-in-case purposes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Instructions are all in Japanese.

The JP is almost exclusively for the Japanese market.

It's indeed a super strong case. Wayyyyy tougher then any Zippo.

Instructions are basically to purge the lighter by depressing the fill valve using one of the Newport adapters until there is no gas hiss.

Then fill by using the Newport can upside down for 3-4 seconds in one solid fill. Do not attempt to top up with a second depressing of the can, as this will overfill and/or add air bubbles to the tank.

If you have a digital scale, the JP should have between 0.7-0.9g fuel weight added when freshly filled.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Instructions are all in Japanese.

The JP is almost exclusively for the Japanese market.

It's indeed a super strong case. Wayyyyy tougher then any Zippo.

Instructions are basically to purge the lighter by depressing the fill valve using one of the Newport adapters until there is no gas hiss.

Then fill by using the Newport can upside down for 3-4 seconds in one solid fill. Do not attempt to top up with a second depressing of the can, as this will overfill and/or add air bubbles to the tank.

If you have a digital scale, the JP should have between 0.7-0.9g fuel weight added when freshly filled.
View Quote
TYVM for translation of key instructions; will print and store with the lighter.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
linky to purchase?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
linky to purchase?
View All Quotes
linky to purchase?

Ebay. Search Windmill JP Windproof (or just Windmill lighter. The AWL All-weather lighter is another all-metal one that looks very nice).
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:50:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#30]

Ebay. Search Windmill JP Windproof (or just Windmill lighter. The AWL All-weather lighter is another all-metal one that looks very nice).
View All Quotes
linky to purchase?

I have the AWL as well, it sucks. The metal is only along the central band, while the hinge and cap and most of the body is plastic.

The JP Windproof is the way to go, 100%. Although I also like the ZAG in clear plastic, as its the model I used to lust after at REI when I was a teen.

The JP, ZAG, and Delta all share a mostly common 'core' turbo flame insert that holds 0.9g of fuel. Their difference is just in their exterior case.

The 'turbo jet' is Windmills core technology. A normal blue jet flame is windproof to ~20mph. Windmills turbo uses a wound Platinum wire catalyzer coil over the flame, which gets white hot and constantly reignites the gas even in heavy wind (65+mph).

The downside is the flame is invisible in the day.

Cheaper knock offs of the Turbo use a simple S of wire that breaks easily. Windmill uses two parallel bars with the platinum wire wrapped around both like a bridge, making it much more durable.

The primary threat to the lighter is carbon fouling from firewroks fuses; that can kill a jet lighter very quickly. Secondary threat is clogging the lighter with cheap butane (Ronson, etc).
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#31]

I have the AWL as well, it sucks. The metal is only along the central band, while the hinge and cap and most of the body is plastic.

The JP Windproof is the way to go, 100%. Although I also like the ZAG in clear plastic, as its the model I used to lust after at REI when I was a teen.

The JP, ZAG, and Delta all share a mostly common 'core' turbo flame insert that holds 0.9g of fuel. Their difference is just in their exterior case.

The 'turbo jet' is Windmills core technology. A normal blue jet flame is windproof to ~20mph. Windmills turbo uses a wound Platinum wire catalyzer coil over the flame, which gets white hot and constantly reignites the gas even in heavy wind (65+mph).

https://i.ibb.co/njzTNZ1/windproof-lighter-windmill-jp.webp

Cheaper knock offs of the Turbo use a simple S of wire that breaks easily. Windmill uses two parallel bars with the platinum wire wrapped around both like a bridge, making it much more durable.

The primary threat to the lighter is carbon fouling from firewroks fuses; that can kill a jet lighter very quickly. Secondary threat is clogging the lighter with cheap butane (Ronson, etc).
View All Quotes
linky to purchase?

https://i.ibb.co/njzTNZ1/windproof-lighter-windmill-jp.webp

All good things to know.

I saw a listing for a silver AWL-10. Didn't realize that the body must be just silver colored plastic and only that center section is metal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
$75 (ish) on ebay.

that a decent deal?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#33]
JP Aluminum-bodied and gas-fueled lighter featured above is a very fine lighter.

That said, it relies on Butane gas for fuel.  From oreign sources, at least for good fuel.

I prefer a "decent" and O-ring sealed liquid fueled lighter.

Many decent types exist.  Some better than others.  Many such liquid-fueled lighters have "caps" that restrict fuel evap from their wick, which is most usual fuel evap point.

Awaiting arrival of "Zorro" lighter case (very stout) and also Zorro lighter insert with a "Cap" for the wick.

Nothing that has not been done before.

Just damn tired of fuel evaporating from my Zippo lighters.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#34]
JP Aluminum-bodied and gas-fueled lighter featured above is a very fine lighter.

That said, it relies on Butane gas for fuel.  From oreign sources, at least for good fuel.

I prefer a "decent" and O-ring sealed liquid fueled lighter.

Many decent types exist.  Some better than others.  Many such liquid-fueled lighters have "caps" that restrict fuel evap from their wick, which is most usual fuel evap point.

Awaiting arrival of "Zorro" lighter case (very stout) and also Zorro lighter insert with a "Cap" for the wick.

Nothing that has not been done before.

Just damn tired of fuel evaporating from my Zippo lighters.
View Quote
i carry and use regular petrol zippos.

top it off sunday night whilst PMCSing my work gear.

1 gallon of coleman fuel is a lot of zippo refills.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#35]
$75 (ish) on ebay.

that a decent deal?
View All Quotes

$75 (ish) on ebay.

that a decent deal?

Yes, $75 is good. Thats their MSRP cost cost in Japan from the factory (9,900yen / $74.80). So $75 shipped to the US from Japan is solid.

http://wind-mill.shop-pro.jp/?pid=135139253

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
i carry and use regular petrol zippos.

top it off sunday night whilst PMCSing my work gear.

View Quote
I'm kinda hoping the foreign-sourced Zorro lighter cases/inserts might be useful.

Cases having "O" rings for the cap case, and the Zorro inserts having "caps" for the wicks which evap most of the fuel.

Time will tell.  I have no "dog in the hunt", just looking for useful items.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

A lottttt of Zippo refills:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lighters/comments/9amtcx/zippo_and_imco_fuel_capacity_measurements/

Based on the calculations 12oz of Zippo fluid provides 88-160 weeks of Zippo refills, depending on how the lighter is used.

At the conservative 88 weekly fills x 12oz, 1 Gallon of Coleman fluid will give you 938 weeks / 17.98 years of fluid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#38]

A lottttt of Zippo refills:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lighters/comments/9amtcx/zippo_and_imco_fuel_capacity_measurements/

Based on the calculations 12oz of Zippo fluid provides 88-160 weeks of Zippo refills, depending on how the lighter is used.

At the conservative 88 weekly fills x 12oz, 1 Gallon of Coleman fluid will give you 938 weeks / 17.98 years of fluid.
View Quote

Based on personal experience, original Coleman Fuel metal containers will eventually rust-out and leak.

Most savvy folks will buy equivalent Naptha cans of fuel which will also rust out in fairly short order.

Aside from that, the real point is the leakage/evaporation of fuel from common Zippo lighters. Not a big deal as long as fuel is common/cheap, but why waste fuel?

I don't run Zippo lighters now that I know there are better alternatives available.  Not just speaking of butane lighters, but there are better liquid fueled lighters than the Zippo available which don't evaporate nearly so much fuel.

For pure SHTF use, liquid fueled lighters are probably the longer-lasting choice, IMHO.

I'm looking forward to receiving some Zorro lighter items.  The Zorro case is apparently very stoutly made, and has a replaceable O-ring that deters fuel evap.  The separate Zorro lighter insert has a "cap" that covers the wick which greatly reduces fuel evap.

Will report when items are received and tested.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Based on personal experience, original Coleman Fuel metal containers will eventually rust-out and leak.

Most savvy folks will buy equivalent Naptha cans of fuel which will also rust out in fairly short order.

Aside from that, the real point is the leakage/evaporation of fuel from common Zippo lighters. Not a big deal as long as fuel is common/cheap, but why waste fuel?

I don't run Zippo lighters now that I know there are better alternatives available.  Not just speaking of butane lighters, but there are better liquid fueled lighters than the Zippo available which don't evaporate nearly so much fuel.

For pure SHTF use, liquid fueled lighters are probably the longer-lasting choice, IMHO.

I'm looking forward to receiving some Zorro lighter items.  The Zorro case is apparently very stoutly made, and has a replaceable O-ring that deters fuel evap.  The separate Zorro lighter insert has a "cap" that covers the wick which greatly reduces fuel evap.

View Quote
i grabbed a zorro 556 last night from aliexpress for $11 shipped.

curious to see if it's any good or not.

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:30:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb81358c96671460ab266cc7170b669aa2/Zorro-556-Transparent-Oil-Tank-Kerosene-Lighter-Metal-Brass-Open-Flame-Cigarette-Smoking-Windproof-Creative-Retro.jpg_640x640.jpg
View All Quotes

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb81358c96671460ab266cc7170b669aa2/Zorro-556-Transparent-Oil-Tank-Kerosene-Lighter-Metal-Brass-Open-Flame-Cigarette-Smoking-Windproof-Creative-Retro.jpg_640x640.jpg
That "556" lighter doesn't look like the "zippo"-like Zorro cases/inserts I ordered, but with any luck it will work out fine.  I'm curious about what the base metal of the lighter body is, so report back if possible.  My preference is to order lighters with the same surface finish (plating) as is the base metal of the lighter body.  That way, I figure scratches through the plating won't show up as much.

The "S" suffix in some of the "zippo"-like Zorro lighters designates a "Super-Sized" lighter, more of a table-top lighter than a pocket unit IMHO.  If you order a Zorro "zippo-like" lighter insert/case, be careful.  The Zorro "Zippo" inserts with internal cap are apparently sized for use with common Zippo cases but check to be certain before ordering.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#41]
That "556" lighter doesn't look like the "zippo"-like Zorro cases/inserts I ordered, but with any luck it will work out fine.  I'm curious about what the base metal of the lighter body is, so report back if possible.  My preference is to order lighters with the same surface finish (plating) as is the base metal of the lighter body.  That way, I figure scratches through the plating won't show up as much.

The "S" suffix in some of the "zippo"-like Zorro lighters designates a "Super-Sized" lighter, more of a table-top lighter than a pocket unit IMHO.  If you order a Zorro "zippo-like" lighter insert/case, be careful.  The Zorro "Zippo" inserts with internal cap are apparently sized for use with common Zippo cases but check to be certain before ordering.
View Quote
pics show o ring seals on the fill area and it has the cap over the wick like an IMCO.

should help with evaporation.

i will say that fuel in the IMCOs lasts a lot longer than fuel in a regular Zippo due to the cap over the wick.

i've been wanting a trench lighter for a while so for $11 why not?

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Also never seen Bic blow up from being in a hot car....but I find those cheap free lighters the cigarette store gives you blown to bits. Bic don't like the cold...but runjng them thru the laundry seems to have no effect

40 years ago in Europe I found a leather holder for a bic...I wore that around my neck for years.

We still have Djeeps localy....my wife prefers them

Never seen a stoner(or anyone else) use a Cricket....but they claim they do....might pick one up out of curiosity

I did have a nice storm proof lighter that was fantastic for lighting up a cig while driving with window folded, no top or doors....but it broke after a few years.

Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I have never ever heard of anyone breaking a bic lighter. as posted rip off the child proof thing if it bothers you and move on with life. why does everything need to be complicated.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
An unexpected benefit to the Thunderbird "Jet" insert in my brass Zippo "Armor" lighter case just came to light (forgive the pun, lol).

It rained here heavily at times yesterday along with very high winds; temps dropped about 40 deg.  Some exterior door locks were frozen despite being treated with lube recently.  Lock "de-icer" stored inside garage, behind frozen locks, naturally.

The "Jet" flame allowed me to heat both key and lock cylinder simultaneously without blowing out as would have a normal "soft" flame.  Although hard to see, it was easy to "focus" the flame/heat where needed.

All locks de-iced and re-treated with lube.  Spare can of lock "de-icer" obtained and stored inside house.    
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Just received Thyrm 2.0 lighter case.  Original impressions are that it is well-made of appropriate plastic.  Fits OEM Zippo lighter insert perfectly.  Fits my model of Thunderbird single jet lighter insert perfectly.  Both inserts need to have OEM lid "opening" tabs placed in "closed" position.

I "trimmed" some minor "flashing" or what some might call "ridges" from the plastic case.  Not necessary for most folks except if they have OCD.

Currently filling the Zippo insert (properly and not over filling it) with fluid and will evaluate for fuel leakage.  From prior experience with OEM Zippo lighters, if the Thyrm 2.0-encased lighter lights up after a month of sitting in sunlight (being warm), then the Thyrm case will have proven itself.  Will report.

Thyrm 2.0 allows decent one-handed use in order to open the outer case and allow decent one-handed ignition of either OEM zippo insert or my particular model of Thunderbird single jet insert.

Thyrm 2.0 case is bigger in all dimensions than the original Zippo case.  Your call.

Hinge spring seems quite stout and up to the task.  Latch spring is much smaller.  Suggest a drop of decent oil on both springs, springs being "sensitive" to wear and corrosion.  An Ounce of prevention is worth a Pound of cure.

Thyrm 2.0 has a useful built-in lanyard loop.

As most Zippo users understand, fuel evaporation from the wick and the un-sealed top of the case is the primary "flaw" in normal Zippos.  There are inserts for the bottom of the case which seal it, allow easy refill of fuel and replacement of flint, and which also "trap" a replacement flint.  Useful devices, if only to trap" the spare flint.  These add-on insert "caps" seem to seal the bottom of the Zippo case insert pretty well, but compared to the fual evap from the wick, probably won't help much in preventing fuel evap.  

Hopefully the sealed Thyrm case will eliminate all fuel evap concerns, but that is to be seen.  I'll still install the plastic insert bottom sealing device, since it "traps" the replacement flint and gives easy access to it; much easier access than leaving spare flints in bottom of Zippo case, or placing them inside the bottom felt insert.  YMMV.

We'll see how this item works out in a month or so and will report back.

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
View Quote
I have one of these. does not seem to hold fluid that long.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I have the clear Windmill(probably from REI) and one that is in a rubber case...both the coils I think died..I got a few years out of them and they worked great till they didn't..then click click nothing..

The JP windproof looks interesting.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I just want to take this opportunity to say that the worst, most unbelievable, part of the movie The Postman was when Kevin Costner takes refuge in the old mail truck and finds the Zippo and it lights.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Benzomatic ST2200 - a miniature blow torch.

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AR45fan:
I just want to take this opportunity to say that the worst, most unbelievable, part of the movie The Postman was when Kevin Costner takes refuge in the old mail truck and finds the Zippo and it lights.  
View Quote
I understand.  It's a movie; park your brain with the car, lol.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#49]
Originally Posted By geekz0r:
Benzomatic ST2200 - a miniature blow torch.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/60d201e1-cda3-44b7-a5bf-d18de0a33fc4_1.62e4255dfd393c533f70fb014a17acbf.jpeg
View Quote

Understand your suggestion, and I've been investigating such mini-torches.  That would have certainly solved my frozen lock issue, but perhaps too much heat?  IDK.

As it is, the TB Jet insert solved the problem with no damage.

I'll be buying some sort of mini-torch in the future.  There are a million types, some with more features than others.  Investigating.

TYVM for reminding me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#50]
An unexpected benefit to the Thunderbird "Jet" insert in my brass Zippo "Armor" lighter case just came to light (forgive the pun, lol).

It rained here heavily at times yesterday along with very high winds; temps dropped about 40 deg.  Some exterior door locks were frozen despite being treated with lube recently.  Lock "de-icer" stored inside garage, behind frozen locks, naturally.

The "Jet" flame allowed me to heat both key and lock cylinder simultaneously without blowing out as would have a normal "soft" flame.  Although hard to see, it was easy to "focus" the flame/heat where needed.

All locks de-iced and re-treated with lube.  Spare can of lock "de-icer" obtained and stored inside house.    
View Quote

Not on-topic wrt lighters, but a little tip for a Survival Forums thread;

One thing I learned in MI a few decades back;
Use Lock-Ease for locks. It's an aerosol graphite lubricant with an alcohol (+oil?) based carrier. Spray it in (keep a paper towel handy. Will leak black graphite, and get it on the key), the carrier gets it in everything that needs lube, as you turn the key back and forth.

The carrier then evaporates and just leaves the graphite, which doesn't attract/collect dust/dirt, and won't gum up no matter how cold it gets (which is one common reason for 'frozen' locks in cold weather. Oftentimes, it's not water ingress, but the oil, grease or lubricating fluid thickening/gumming up when it's cold. Used to have this issue when I used WD-40. When sprayed fresh, it has a solvent in it that can unfreeze locks, but after the solvent evaporates, what's left can gum up later).
Page / 6
Best lighter? (Page 3 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top