BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a slick looking little knife.
https://cutleryshoppe.com/gryphon-m10ffg-utility-boot-knife-4-0-ffg-laminated-vg-10-blade-w-dlc-finish-black-boltaron-sheathpro-sheath/

I'd probably use offset belt loops and carry at 10-11 o'clock like so. I can carry a full size SRK like this quite comfortably, it conceals ok and can be pulled with either hand.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's a pretty good, simple design that would do well at utility tasks an still a decent defensive profile.

Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
I'd probably use offset belt loops and carry at 10-11 o'clock like so. I can carry a full size SRK like this quite comfortably, it conceals ok and can be pulled with either hand.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/Screenshot_20230425-190809_png-2805153.JPG

I've really come to like that location and method of carry, both for smaller concealed fixed blades and larger field knives (even Khukuri-size). With smaller knives it's easily accessible with either hand and is much easier to resheath.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
IDK, but the CS SRK (I own one) seems to not be a useful bushcraft knife.  Too big for small tasks (think Mora), and too small for big tasks.

If chopping, batonning, and skinning of game is required, a knife with more metal near the tip is better.  See on Amazon Puma SGB Buffalo Hunter.  The Puma "White Hunter" knife is preferable, if one can afford it.

No offense intended, and any knife is preferable to no knife at all.

I prefer a Mora knife, and a decent saw.  If needed, the abovementioned Puma knife will do nicely for all other tasks.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Learned something on this thread today. People actually carry fixed blade knives inside the waistband. I have a SAK in the strong side pocket and a cheap folder clipped inside the weak pocket. Cheap folder because it will eventually join the other three.

Where that is, I ain't got a clue!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Esee 3 that I love the feel.  I also just got a Mini SpeedGoat.  Montana Knife makes some great options.  Their 3" Mini SpeedGoat would be a great every day carry.  All USA Made

Montana Mini Speedgoat

Josh also does alot of informative videos on Youtube.  Here is one about the length you can carry.

Montana Knife...what size to carry

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a fantastic Emerson fixed blade that I carry most (with black grips):

Attachment Attached File

https://emersonknives.com/shop/knives/all-knives/renegade/overland-renegade-fixed-blade/

My other go to fixed blade is a Benchmade Fixed Adamas (it is the only BM I own after their BS - but I like it too much to part with it:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My current favorite EDC fixed blade is a china knock off of the Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter (green and orange handle with orange sheath.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#8]
Might be the longest running thread I've ever posted. There are a few factors at play here...I am an avid hunter, into bushcraft and solo wilderness camping, value durability, and have had finger absolutely destroyed by a failed knife lock before. Following that, my preferred lock is made by Benchmade who I no longer care to purchase from.

I also like the slim profile of an IWB fixed blade versus hogging pocket space and a visible clip. Suggestions thus far have been awesome and I'm still leaning ESEE unless someone points me otherwise - and I'm quite willing to explore other options given blade coatings, etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#9]
Well, I bought an Esee 4. Still have multiple folding and fixed options but this seems the right size to fit my needs. I certainly won't bust it making kindling!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
Well, I bought an Esee 4. Still have multiple folding and fixed options but this seems the right size to fit my needs. I certainly won't bust it making kindling!
View Quote
Now they gotcha!  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I've been daily-ing it since it arrived in an Armatus Carry sheath. Small it ain't but there are certainly no worries about durability, gotta balance out ol slabsides on the other hip. Folders will likely be relegated to covert carry, though pocket clips are not discreet when compared to a hidden IWB sheath.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the Winkler stuff for bushcraft/EDC. Made in NC by hand, many for high speed military guys. Their Blue Ridge Hunter, SD1/2, or the General knives fit well. Lots of availability on preferred websites.

Half Face Blades are handmade in CA, by a former seal team member and his guys. Many of their production models would work well, like a Cav jr or Crow jr. Blade drops weekly on Saturdays.

Semper Sharp is a premium edc/outdoorsman knife made by hand in AK. Lots of choices in EDC, skinners, hunting blades etc. These usually have exotic wood, antler, bone, or tooth in the handle. Blade drops weekly on Fridays.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
Plenty of good knives mentioned in this thread; other good knives not mentioned.  Very common.

Your EDC knife will probably be very different than an EDC 12" fighting Knife used back in the 1840s.

Most any decent steel knife will do if you have the equipment and skill to sharpen it.  Without such skills/equipment one is kidding oneself.

Suggest that learning how to sharpen various knives (and other items) along with having the proper tools to do so will serve you very well.

Perhaps you have already done so, and good for you!

Your cutting device is as useful and durable as is your ability to keep it sharp.

You might consider attending some schools which teach knife-fighting and also how to defend against folks using knives.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top