Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2021 12:55:04 PM EDT
My oldest boy is turning 8 soon and I'd like to get him a knife.

Not sure why I've waited this long but either way, what makes the best first knife?

Swiss Army or locking blade?

I'm thinking just a simple locking blade but maybe one that will be easy enough for him to unlock.

What say you all?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Opinel.
It locks open or closed.
And it's easy to open.

My daughter wasn't strong enough to open the blade on any other knife I tried.
I tried the same experiment with one of her male classmates. Same problem.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Here’s what I’ve been buying for my grandkids when they get of age.

Opinel Kids Knife

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Stryfe.

I agree 100%!
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
my daughter's was and still is a Kershaw with the speedsafe assist.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Recently took one of my grandsons to get his first knife.
He picked a pair of Old Timers at Walmart for maybe $20.
(But, made in China. )

When my son was 5 or 6, his maternal grandpa got him a Rambo type survival knife.
Hollow handle full of fish hooks, line, etc.
He loved it, and for some foolish reason I let him keep it in his room.

One day he walked past me carrying his knife.
"Where are you headed?" I asked without paying much attention.

"I'm going to teach Jimmy a lesson." he replied.

I was glad I was listening at that point.

Maybe a Rambo knife is not a good first knife.

The Opinel above is an excellent idea.

The Outdoor Junior is only $25 on Amazon.
Outdoor Junior
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My son is a knife( he’s collector,now 14)
first one was a Columbia river knife tool very well-built.
Now he really likes butterfly knives and specifically butterfly knife trainers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you get, I wouldn't spend much.  He'll probably lose his first knife.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave my two boys Swiss army when they were 5 and 6 years old
By the end of the day they both gave them back to me, they had band aids on all their fingers.

I'd suggest maybe a Buck USA Bantam , you can get  one for around $20
Kinda bullet proof for a kid
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I think an 8 year old boy would get more use and enjoyment from a Swiss Army Knife or a good quality Multi-Tool. Good Multi-tool will have locking blade.

Remember all the exploring and building home made stuff when YOU were a kid?

I could write a book about all the things we made, built, and learned on our own.

Hunting knife should be something totally separate.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got three boys, all 10 or under. I'm trying to decide as well. A Swiss Army knife would be cool but I bet they'd lose it quick.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Swiss Army Evo Jr, locking main blade with rounded tip, saw, screw drivers, can opener, etc. Can be found around $20.

My son got his for his 5th birthday.

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
There’s more than one post about the son possibly losing the knife.
If a boy loses his knife that quick, he didn’t deserve one in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Swiss Army Evo Jr, locking main blade with rounded tip, saw, screw drivers, can opener, etc. Can be found around $20.

My son got his for his 5th birthday.

View Quote

Good first choice!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Mora eris on small side or regular mora
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I kind of like the Opinal suggestion, good value for the money.  Get a locking blade.  While they need to learn how to use any knife blade, most kids don’t comprehend the physics and forces that will collapse a slip-joint knife blade on fingers.  Get a locking blade (or fixed blade).

My first two knives I got both my son and daughter were locking BM Mini-Griptilian models and Mora Clipper fixed blades.  They learned how to safely handle and use a knife with the Mora fixed blade as it was easier to grip, forced them to sheath the knife when not using, and helped to learn maintenance and sharpening.  I was additionally devious in that I bought a half-dozen carbon steel Clipper knives (had Kydex sheaths made for both of them).  If they didn’t care for their knives, it was pretty obvious.  They also learned to sharpen them and doing Scandi-grinds on a bench stone really helps understand sharpening angles.  Being as cheap as they were, if one was lost or broken, it was easy to replace.  Ironically, both have survived and I’ve since did a forced patina on both.  Both kids grown and gone with better tools, but these Mora Clippers will be ready for grandkids when the day comes…

I love Swiss Army knives and had a few growing up as a kid.  While they’re a great consideration, I still highly recommend getting the locking blade versions.  

Let us know what you decide.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have small Swiss Army folders ready for both of my boys when they get big enough.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Swiss army knife
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my son (9) a Morakniv Wood Carving Junior 73/164 Knif as his first.
I'm liking some of these suggestions for a folder, though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My oldest boy is turning 8 soon and I'd like to get him a knife.

Not sure why I've waited this long but either way, what makes the best first knife?

Swiss Army or locking blade?

I'm thinking just a simple locking blade but maybe one that will be easy enough for him to unlock.

What say you all?
View Quote

Mine was a swiss army, given to me by my grandfather.

Almost two decades later, I found out that the nice buck folder that my mom kept in her top drawer was what he originally bought, and she said no, so he got the swiss army for me instead.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#21]
My first knife was a swiss army that I damn near sliced my finger off with. Get him a single blade that locks. Boys will do fuckery with a swiss army that it was not intended to do and will end up folding that razor sharp blade over on their fingers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
One that they are going to lose.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I kind of like the Opinal suggestion, good value for the money.  Get a locking blade.  While they need to learn how to use any knife blade, most kids don't comprehend the physics and forces that will collapse a slip-joint knife blade on fingers.  Get a locking blade (or fixed blade).

My first two knives I got both my son and daughter were locking BM Mini-Griptilian models and Mora Clipper fixed blades.  They learned how to safely handle and use a knife with the Mora fixed blade as it was easier to grip, forced them to sheath the knife when not using, and helped to learn maintenance and sharpening.  I was additionally devious in that I bought a half-dozen carbon steel Clipper knives (had Kydex sheaths made for both of them).  If they didn't care for their knives, it was pretty obvious.  They also learned to sharpen them and doing Scandi-grinds on a bench stone really helps understand sharpening angles.  Being as cheap as they were, if one was lost or broken, it was easy to replace.  Ironically, both have survived and I've since did a forced patina on both.  Both kids grown and gone with better tools, but these Mora Clippers will be ready for grandkids when the day comes

I love Swiss Army knives and had a few growing up as a kid.  While they're a great consideration, I still highly recommend getting the locking blade versions.

Let us know what you decide.  

ROCK6
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I've gotten my boys Opinels for first knives. They have the safety of a locking blade with the ease of opening that only Opinel can offer. The price/value is a great incentive as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Paraframe
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
This was my first knife, my dad wouldn't let me get anything that didn't lock open, he was afraid I was going to close it on my fingers. If I think about it I still can feel that knurling from hours of whittling though. It was a good knife other than that part causing blisters and then ripping them open.

I'd still get one I'd just wrap that part in tape or fill it with epoxy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Swiss Army Adventurer.
Liner lock blade.
It is bigger than the the usual SAK
$35 from Amazon

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
By the end of the day they both gave them back to me, they had band aids on all their fingers.

View Quote

This is a good knife, daily carried one for many years. Get the 285, comes with a belt clip and is a good size. Usually available at Walmart or sporting goods stores.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Swiss army tinker, or camper. I wish they made a stock knife like a camper but with a Philip instead of a corkscrew.

I don't want to have have one custom made.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Sold out
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I borrowed my dad's knife without permission when I was 5, took it outside and promptly cut the shit out of my finger.

Took me until I was in my 30s to stop cutting myself accidentally every time I looked sideways at a knife...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Got mine a SAK around 8? Last year i got him a bugout clone and promised him a real one for his birthday 2022 if he hadn’t lost the clone.

Still has it, 3 months to go.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Gerber LST (pictured) or LST Magnum.  Small, some have a pocket clip. Easy to open and close and inexpensive. Also has black handle in case he doesn't like the grandpa-style stuff.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I would spring and get him something nice and something to cherris....

Knife of Alaska Belt knife?

Wish I was in your shoes...

My oldest Graduates on friday from college and the youngest the end of next summer....

Enjoy the ride!

Red
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#36]
My kids got CRKT minimalist cleavers for their first knife. Most of the cuts I had as a kid were my SAK folding up on my finger while making a hole in something with the point of the blade or having the tip walk off of whatever I was whittling a hole into and go into my hand.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Byrd Meadowlark

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#38]
While a swiss army knife may be good for a teen ager + they are razor sharp and will result in injury easily, even as an adult.  My vote goes for a basic Mora or folding buck knife that locks.

Depending on if the kid likes to work on stuff a basic multi tool might not be a bad option?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Barlow
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My first knife was a swiss army that I damn near sliced my finger off with. Get him a single blade that locks. Boys will do fuckery with a swiss army that it was not intended to do and will end up folding that razor sharp blade over on their fingers.
View Quote

LOL, SHARP... i dont think my knife i had as a kid EVER had an edge... i didnt learn to sharpen till couple years later...
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Swiss army tinker, or camper. I wish they made a stock knife like a camper but with a Philip instead of a corkscrew.

I don't want to have have one custom made.
View Quote

Hiker.
Same price as the camper.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#42]
This is what I started my kids with. Small blade with good sized handle for their hands made easy to use for them.
https://morakniv.se/en/product/eldris-s/
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#43]
A small fixed blade.

I have had to many folder not lock and collapse on my fingers.

My youngest girl has/used uluqs since she was big enough to hold them.
She now has at least 6 uluqs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is what I started my kids with. Small blade with good sized handle for their hands made easy to use for them.
https://morakniv.se/en/product/eldris-s/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95221/Eldris-Blue-600x600-2280313.png
View Quote
It would be nice if they made the handle a tiny bit longer and put a finger guard at the top like on the 511 so you didn't have to worry about their hands slipping up onto the blade when they're doing the dumb shit that kids do with knives when they're learning. They could even just swell the semi guard that's on there already.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Thread resurrection.   Got this for my daughter, she was excited.  Thanks for the suggestion.

They offer custom engraving, and the blade is .... not horribly sharp.  It's almost more like a thin piece of metal, less of a traditional knife edge grind.   Even  when she slips, it shouldn't take a finger off.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a scar the length of my right thumb from when I was 5 that can attest to this.

I have an opinel, and do seem to like the idea of the kids version for my daughter when she's old enough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#47]
swiss army knife, otherwise a folder. start with something that isn't crazy sharp or pointy so they learn to be careful without life long scars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Ozark brand lock back from Walmart.

When they lose it, no big deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#49]
So what did you get him, OP?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top