Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#1]
these are surprisingly good https://www.costco.com/Coast-Headlamps-2-pack.product.100365511.html

and this is pretty awesome, I have an earlier model  https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-dual-form-headlamp-rechargeable-EdisonBright/dp/B01JIFRTHY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1520827888&sr=8-9&keywords=nitecore+headlamp
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far, been really pleased with the Wowtac A2S - a nice ZebraLight-esque model that sells for 30 bucks.

Runs on either a single 18650 (included), or a pair of non-rechargeable CR123's.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61xgVsXaJGL._SY450_.jpg

https://store-l43z0c1llh.mybigcommerce.com/product_images/uploaded_images/a2s-parameter.jpg

They also make a $20 A2 model, but it doesn't have the brightness or run-time of the A2S version - mostly due to using a cheaper LED and a smaller capacity 18650 battery.
View Quote
I bought one of those in neutral tint last fall, maybe the Atactical branded version I can't remember.  It really exceeded all my expectations.  I've got many more expensive lights but this headlamp truly impressed me, particularly for the $.  The neutral tint has been particularly nice since I've been using the light for night hiking, snow blowing/shoveling.   For $20-30 it is definitely worth a try, even if just as a back up light in your glove box.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
My petzl tactikka has been great so far.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm really impressed by this Ozark Trail rechargeable I found at Walmart for $22
Fl1 300 lumens.  
micro usb rechargeable lithium ion battery
easy to use interface
The best part is the main beam has a (warm) neutral tint.

Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Easily one of the best performing headlamps on the market right now. I owned the previous version for years and got this model when it came out a few months back.

Runtime is nutz and it's very lightweight. An added bonus is it comes out of the head strap easily and has a pocket clip you can snap on and carry light a typical flashlight. It's my daily carry light and my vacation trip light to whatever island I'm going to.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the reasons that I stick with Maglite is reliability. Just how reliable are some of the too good to be true headlamps?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the reasons that I stick with Maglite is reliability. Just how reliable are some of the too good to be true headlamps?
View Quote
What are you doing with the light, is the first question that needs answering?

If you're just walking around, using the HL casually, you'll probably not have any issues.

Despite what many think, the Chinese make some damn fine lights and headlights.  The ones that actually get ANSI-FL ratings, can survive a 6' drop onto concrete X amount of times.  For others, dropping your light on concrete might bust a solder joint somewhere, just like dropping a MagLite on concrete will probably bust the bulb.

These modern lights/headlights are more circuit driven than a MagLite, so like any other electronic device, they can crap out on us, above and beyond the basic 'infant mortality' issue (DOA, or shortly thereafter).

If I were a professional caver, I'd have no problem using my NiteCore HC-50, or even my Fenix HL-30, or Black Diamond Storm.  Same for ZebraLights, of course, but if one's life depends on it, there always needs to be a backup, just in case.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you're just walking around, using the HL casually, you'll probably not have any issues.

Despite what many think, the Chinese make some damn fine lights and headlights.  The ones that actually get ANSI-FL ratings, can survive a 6' drop onto concrete X amount of times.  For others, dropping your light on concrete might bust a solder joint somewhere, just like dropping a MagLite on concrete will probably bust the bulb.

These modern lights/headlights are more circuit driven than a MagLite, so like any other electronic device, they can crap out on us, above and beyond the basic 'infant mortality' issue (DOA, or shortly thereafter).

If I were a professional caver, I'd have no problem using my NiteCore HC-50, or even my Fenix HL-30, or Black Diamond Storm.  Same for ZebraLights, of course, but if one's life depends on it, there always needs to be a backup, just in case.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris
ZAN, modern LED lights are a jillion more times reliable than a freaking Maglite. Not only are they more reliable, they put out thousands of times the amount of light and the runtime is ridiculously increased over the Maglite in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got one of the new streamlight enduro pros a few days ago. I haven't had it too long so I can't say a lot about it but I really like the band and he light feels well made, it runs off of 3 triple As, one feature I really like is that it has a flood beam and a spot beam in white light so if you need to see further out you can use the spot and if you're working up close and don't want a hotspot you can use the flood for a nice smooth area light, it also has two green LEDs for low light navigation (there is a red light model as well). I bought this mainly as a hunting pack light for walking in/out, tracking, skinning etc so I want be likely to put a lot of hours on it between now and season but it will see some occasional use this summer. I'll post some pics and specs tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
My input is for those using the light to run at night.  Don't get a light with a hinge on the bottom like most of the Petzel, Black D, etc.  I have had all kinds of them and invariably the hinge will wear out and the light will flop down and point in your face.  Get one where the weight is not on the hinge below the body of the light.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
So I did a quick overnighter to test some gear and gauge my 10 year old GDS's abilities.  She did pretty good for the 4 miles we did.  I think she's still good to go for 5-8 mile days provided plenty of breaks.

But my point in posting today is I finally got the HL50 and the e+Lite out in the woods.  The zhL50 is exactly what I thought I wanted.  Its bright enough for sure.  Might like it even better if it had one lower setting.  More light than I "need" but that is not often an issue.  Somehow I managed to turn it on in my HPG chest pack.  It must not have been on long as it wasn't hot yet at all.  Not sure what to do about that other than a protective tube or similar blocking device around the click tail cap.

The e+Lite was great.  I used it exclusively for all my camp tasks.  While I was not going to be out long enough to need a spare battery, for the few grams a spare 2032, I enjoy the peace of mind.  The case it comes in is overkill and I'm not counting grams, but some weight could be saved there for sure.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been running a Thrunite TH20 that has been absolutely flawless and it has been out in freezing rain/sleet/snow on extended duck and goose hunts. Also I used a Fenix HL23 that was great as well but has been retired for a new 2018 model Fenix HL30. I keep all of these headlamps stoked with Eneloop AA's or Energizer Lithium in a pinch. I also have a Fenix HL55 that requires 18650's and I can tell you the light just is not worth it compared to the HL23 or HL30 models. AA's are everywhere, 18650's are not. Overall the HL30 is a beast and has the best run time and modes of any of the Fenix headlamps. If I were to only use one the HL30 2018 model would be it. That is unless you are dead set on a light that runs on a single AA cell.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]
For those with the HL50... is that metal bracket comfortable on the forehead? I generally like headlamps with the battery pack on the rear for better balance, but I am looking for one with everything in the front for when I am working while laying on my back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looking at the second pic, the one with the battery caddies, I'm again struck by how few choices there are with regards inexpensive, small, waterproof battery storage.  I have some of those same caddys, and they are fine except that without a baggie, they will allow the bats to get wet.

IIRC, allowing the batts to get wet is not a good thing.

ETA: Found this battery-specific Delrin tube: https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-storage-products/products/delrin-aaa-battery-locker-waterproof

And this Multi-Batt Tube Vault: https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-storage-products/products/tube-vaults  this last will hold a couple of 18650 batts.

In fact, the CountyComm "All Storage Products" has a considerable number of devices that can be used for waterproof batt storage.  Disclaimer: no financial interest.  Be advised that the "Tube Vaults", and possibly other items can be had from other vendors cheaper than from CC, who are a bit spendy sometimes.

Lightweight batt box: http://www.cr123batteries.com/waterproof-cr123-and-18650-battery-holder/
View Quote
@raf, yeah, the caddies are really just open storage options needing a waterproof bag if outdoors.

One of the reasons I like the single-cell lights is that that the Delrin tubes are perfect for carrying a single, extra battery.  This is my top choice for carrying a spare battery when backpacking.  Another great option (although admittedly more expensive) for "tactical" applications, are the Thyrm CellVaults: Thyrm.

These are pretty handy for carrying AA, CR123, AAA, or even 18650 batteries with a very handy attachment to gear, waterproof, and easy to access.

The older Surefire storage unit is still going strong for CR123 batteries.  Also, if storing batteries in a waterproof bag, the silicone protectors just keep the terminals from getting damaged or batteries shorting-out if they make contact.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Streamlight Sidewinder Compact 2.  Some models include a headband and helmet mount.

The light includes white, red, blue and IR if I'm remembering correctly.

I saw a guy at the range with one, and it looked like a nice light.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For those with the HL50... is that metal bracket comfortable on the forehead? I generally like headlamps with the battery pack on the rear for better balance, but I am looking for one with everything in the front for when I am working while laying on my back.
View Quote
Yes, I use one every day for work with and without a ball cap on. It is by far my favorite headlamp I have ever had. The only problem is I have been using it daily for over a year and the headband is starting to stretch out a bit and I have not found a replacement yet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been really happy with Zebralight headlights

http://www.zebralight.com/H52-AA-Headlamp-Cool-White_p_131.html
View Quote
I've had a floody zebralight for years and it's a fantastic headlamp.  AA batts, floody field of view, light, and a nice tint.  I also have a Fenix 4 AA headlamp that is bright as hell, but it's a narrow beam, which for my needs, isn't as useful.

If I were looking for another headlamp, it'd be another Zebralight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are looking for durability, I suggest this One .  I recovered this headlamp from the MH 60 crash than occurred in western Iraq earlier this year.  I pulled this headlamp from the ground (it was buried, but not burned) and it still worked.  I plan to buy one for myself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Just had a OLight H1R Nova delivered today. Rechargable CR123 and magnetic charger included.

600 lumens turbo mode. (only runs a few minutes before stepping down to high)
180 / 60 / 15 / 2 lumen modes.

Seems well built. Easy to operate. Lightweight. I'm liking it so far.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a huge Petzl fan
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What Rock6 said.

I keep a Fenix HL50 in my hipbelt pocket as my go to light
and an e+LITE and a spare CR123A in my repair kit ( bundle of insecurities )
as back ups.

https://i.imgur.com/fxB66bf.jpg

The e+LITE is badass and certainly could be your only headlamp if you've gone
down the ultralight rabbit hole.  The current model has almost twice the output
of the previous generation and but has a bulkier head-strap.  They both weigh 27 gms.

https://i.imgur.com/dFk3Mx8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dyHc7XL.jpg?1

I still prefer the older one. As a back up I don't need the extra Lumens and like its
compactness.  I don't love the new battery management - it keeps the light level
relatively constant then just shuts down.  I like that the previous generation gets dimmer
and dimmer but still works until it dies... it seems more useful to me.
View Quote
I have both e+Lites as well and came to the same conclusions.

One item I'd like to add that I discovered on a google search:

You can turn over the top battery and re-close the cover, maintaining the water resistance rating. (both models)

The circuit is completed on the edge of the battery.

The headlamp will still run, at a lower lumen, and you're basically carrying a spare inside.

It might flicker a bit at times but it does work
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi guys, I’ve read through this thread, lots of great input.

I have a week long excursion coming up on the Maine-Canada border and my headlamp is my #1 concern at the moment. It’s all camping, ice fishing and snowmobiling. Current temps are reaching zero and it’ll easily get below zero by the time I’m up there. I’m nervous about functionality at such low temps.

I’ve got a few Coast headlamps that are ok but have fits when it’s decent out so I really need to upgrade. I really like the Olight H2r but I’m a bit concerned about rechargeables as there is no power (or running water) where I’m going. I’d like a single AA if I can find one, I’m not a huge fan of CR123s.

Any thoughts?

ETA: I’m think an H2R with an extra rechargeable might be the route I go. I have a small solar panel I may be able to use to charge if need be. With the extra battery I doubt I’d need to.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi guys, I’ve read through this thread, lots of great input.

I have a week long excursion coming up on the Maine-Canada border and my headlamp is my #1 concern at the moment. It’s all camping, ice fishing and snowmobiling. Current temps are reaching zero and it’ll easily get below zero by the time I’m up there. I’m nervous about functionality at such low temps.

I’ve got a few Coast headlamps that are ok but have fits when it’s decent out so I really need to upgrade. I really like the Olight H2r but I’m a bit concerned about rechargeables as there is no power (or running water) where I’m going. I’d like a single AA if I can find one, I’m not a huge fan of CR123s.

Any thoughts?

ETA: I’m think an H2R with an extra rechargeable might be the route I go. I have a small solar panel I may be able to use to charge if need be. With the extra battery I doubt I’d need to.
View Quote
Get something that runs on either one 18650, or two CR123As and use the latter in the freezing temps and the 18650 for other warmer climes.

I have a Nitecore HC50 which uses both and is pretty nifty.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Get something that runs on either one 18650, or two CR123As and use the latter in the freezing temps and the 18650 for other warmer climes.

Chris
View Quote
Do 18650s not perform well in colder temps?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am ignorant to this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coast-435-Lumens-Tri-Color-LED-Headlamp-with-Twist-Focus-2-Pack-FL74/305286190

2 pack Coast LED Head Lamp $19.xx at Home Depot

I rate This very high,based on my personal experience
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Not ideal at 32*F.  But lights and HL that work on a 18650 will generally work on 2 CR123As.  You can always find one that works on two AAs and use Energizer Lithium Ultimates and go that route.

Chris
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top