Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2017 7:13:24 PM EDT
I was surfing the web and ran across this article on a bug out bike:
https://www.offgridweb.com/transportation/bug-out-bikes/

The idea of a dual-sport motorcycle for a BO vehicle caught my eye.  

But I got dubious at the sheer amount of gear being loaded onto the small ones he chose.  Motorcycles with 200cc engines, weight of 280 lbs, and < 20 hp.  I've ridden several bikes in that size category, and looking at the pictures says to me the balance is all wrong, with very little weight on the front wheel.

Then he lost me entirely at the part about riding at night, complete PVS-7 night vision googles.

But the idea itself has merit.  Am I wrong in thinking the plan in the article is a bit over the top?  What would you change?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a bug-out bike!

Attachment Attached File

Bug-out Doomsday Bike

The Trail-Breaker’s classic design is a perfect blend of functionality and ease of use. Known for their ability to go anywhere, Trail-Breakers have been used by the United States’ Armed Forces, Forest Service, Fish and Game officers in some 25 states, countless big game hunters, trail builders, farmers, ranchers, and even treasure hunters. Since 1960, the Trail-Breaker has set the standard for Rokon. Features include:
Suspension - Patented AutoGrab Front Suspension makes for a smooth ride even in demanding terrain like mud, sand, or snow.
Floatation - Hollow drum wheels can provide floatation or space for up to 2.5 gallons of extra fuel or water.
Powerful - Full time front and rear wheel drive with superior torque mean you can tow up to 2,000 lbs.
Climb - Climb a 60% grade. Rokons have climbed mountains rom the Rockies of Colorado to the Andes of Chile. With a ground clearance of 14 inches, the Trail-Breaker can go up and over any terrain.
Stable - Wide tractor tires (8x12x25”) and a lightweight of 218 lbs. combined with all wheel drive provides unmatched stability in any terrain.
Reliable - Standard American nuts, bolts, and chain make Rokons easy to maintain and repair. Parts are widely available and manuals easy to follow.
Versatile - From tow bars and saddle bags to side cars and log skidders, Rokon has a wide range of accessories to help you get any job done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I rode a Suzuki DL1000 till I planted it and collapsed a lung...  V twin water cooled 6 speed ... even in a de-tuned mode it is a rocket... not quiet as fast as my Yamaha FJR, but acceleration is amazing
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's definitely doable, but I also question some of his choices.  Of course I'm not a special forces guy with a website but I have ridden motorcycles since the '80s including touring around SE Asia and part of China on small bikes.  Whatever works for them but I'd recommend at a minimum adding the tools and parts to change a tire.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever works for them but I'd recommend at a minimum adding the tools and parts to change a tire.  
View Quote
Yeah, there's a toolkit in there, right next to the kitchen sink.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a couple dual sports and they are fun bikes in that they can go a lot of places on and off-road. I wouldn't rule one out for getting out of dodge but you are not going to be carrying that much gear, probably no more than what you would carry on your body normally if not less. I have ridden the Trans Am Trail about 1000 miles off road, across the Rockies, self-supported (no chase truck). I carried everything I needed for me and the bike and the bulk of what I carried was to keep the bike going if something happened. I had very little room for much more than the bare minimum light weight camping gear.

If you are just gonna hop on a dual sport with a small pack and ride out of town it until it quits then maybe but if you plan on keeping it running for an extended time you are gonna be pressed for space for personal gear. It's doable but there is a lot of trade offs to be considered and made IMHO

Edit - I'd look into  Suzuki DRZ-400 or DR650SE for dual sport bikes that have long maintenance cycles and are generally easy to keep running dual sport bikes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Kawasaki KLR650
Its the most famous dual sport made. Its a little heavy for trail riding, But it does the job and has great power and nimble for the road.
Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I rode a Suzuki DL1000 till I planted it and collapsed a lung...  V twin water cooled 6 speed ... even in a de-tuned mode it is a rocket... not quiet as fast as my Yamaha FJR, but acceleration is amazing
View Quote
I love mine, no way it is an off roader though, not for mortals...Big honda on off, 650 single
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the idea of the KLR 650.  

I have a KTM 350 EXC-F. Much more offroad than dual sport.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My bug out motorcycle is a BMW GS. It has two hard luggage storage containers mounted on it. They can hold 4 handguns, 2 AR15 pistols broken down and 1 Scorpion EVO with the stock folded to the side and all the mags and ammo needed for these. I don't plan on bugging out with this much firepower but this is what I took to the range the other day on the GS. It takes a bit of packing but is doable. On the negative side the GS isn't all that off road friendly being kind of heavy. I only get about 200 miles per tank on ideal conditions so expect much less with challenging riding. Over all I wouldn't want to have to bug out on a motorcycle but it does seem doable. It would take a bit of creative packing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to fantasize about the option of a bug out bike, but now that I have three kids, its just not an option.

I love the idea and I like his choice of bike, however on thing in the overall philosophy I would change is:

Other than the gasoline loadout and tools to keep the bike going... I would not take anything or stow any cargo on the bike that I could not carry on my back. I would take the longest term backpacking setup, packed in my largest pack that I actually currently carry, and rig that bitch up on the bike.

Theory being that you need to plan like you are going to end up on foot in the end no matter what.

ETA:

While a KLR is a soild choice, I might want more of a lightweight nimble bike in a true bug out scenario.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My bug out motorcycle is a BMW GS. It has two hard luggage storage containers mounted on it. They can hold 4 handguns, 2 AR15 pistols broken down and 1 Scorpion EVO with the stock folded to the side and all the mags and ammo needed for these. I don't plan on bugging out with this much firepower but this is what I took to the range the other day on the GS. It takes a bit of packing but is doable. On the negative side the GS isn't all that off road friendly being kind of heavy. I only get about 200 miles per tank on ideal conditions so expect much less with challenging riding. Over all I wouldn't want to have to bug out on a motorcycle but it does seem doable. It would take a bit of creative packing.
View Quote
No offense because I love me some BMW cycles, but I am thinking you would be laying on your side in short order if you actually had to ride it up and down the median ditches and hit some soft wet grass and dirt and mud on that heavy thing.

Better than a car for sure, but a dirtbike it ain't.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kawasaki KLR650
Its the most famous dual sport made. Its a little heavy for trail riding, But it does the job and has great power and nimble for the road.
Check it out.
View Quote
Yup. I had a KLR.  They're easy to maintain, relatively nimble, and has a pretty decent rider + payload capacity (~400lbs for rider and gear combined). I used to take mine camping and would have that thing loaded up like a pack mule. I had bags on the crash bars/engine guards, tank bag, saddle bags, and I'd put a big waterproof bag across the back deck and saddlebags.  In Front of that...I'd strap a small chair.  

If you distribute the weight properly/evenly...it rides surprisingly well at ~65 MPH loaded down like that.  My camp site was ~2.5 hours away. I rode it there like that, unloaded to trail essentials (left supplies at campsite), and rode home fully loaded.

For a BO vehicle...it actually makes a lot of sense.  ex. My area...there's no way in hell you're getting anywhere with a four wheeled vehicle once the roads clog up.  On two wheels...you've at least got a chance of getting out of a bad spot.

Tire selection is key though.  The second set I had on mine were 80/20 (street/off-road). They sucked a$$ on wet grass and you had to be careful in mud.  You just have to keep in mind that you're riding a ~450lb motorcycle...not a ~250lb dirt bike.

I bought my KLR new and got a decent enough deal on it.  If I had it to do over again though...I'd get a used one.  You can find one x < 3 years old with x < 2k pavement miles for ~$3,500 or so.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No offense because I love me some BMW cycles, but I am thinking you would be laying on your side in short order if you actually had to ride it up and down the median ditches and hit some soft wet grass and dirt and mud on that heavy thing.

Better than a car for sure, but a dirtbike it ain't.
View Quote
Yes and the small duel sports and dirt-bikes won't really perform with any amount of gear either

I'd probably go with a Honda Africa Twin or something...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Great in theory yes... Reality is a different matter...

Owned and ridden the following:

XT225
SV650
DR650
XL250R
DL1000
KLR650
Ruckus 50 (currently own x2)
K-Pipe 125 (currently own)
Rebel 250 (currently own)

All great in theory.  Not so great in reality.  They are fun TOYS.  Leave them at that.

Useful around a home base/QTH/BOL -Absolutely...  Last resort of transport: probably...  Primary plan: bad plan...  

Options are always good.  Plan A, B, C, D, etc... Good.  I probably wouldn't throw the two wheeled option in the top two tiers, and I have clocked 4K on two wheels this year -in a seasonal state.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great in theory yes... Reality is a different matter...

Owned and ridden the following:

XT225
SV650
DR650
XL250R
DL1000
KLR650
Ruckus 50 (currently own x2)
K-Pipe 125 (currently own)
Rebel 250 (currently own)

All great in theory.  Not so great in reality.  They are fun TOYS.  Leave them at that.

Useful around a home base/QTH/BOL -Absolutely...  Last resort of transport: probably...  Primary plan: bad plan...  

Options are always good.  Plan A, B, C, D, etc... Good.  I probably wouldn't throw the two wheeled option in the top two tiers, and I have clocked 4K on two wheels this year -in a seasonal state.
View Quote
Yup. I would not want that to be my primary form of egress, but if all else fails...it's better than trying to walk out of a bad spot.  Well...situation dependent on that too, of course.  The bad thing about any motorcycle is that people are going to hear you coming a while out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#16]
If I were going to go that route, I would want a 250cc machine. Something with a little more power than the smaller bikes, but still manageable down tighter trails we have on the east coast. Ever try riding a 650 through single track? It sucks. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I were going to go that route, I would want a 250cc machine. Something with a little more power than the smaller bikes, but still manageable down tighter trails we have on the east coast. Ever try riding a 650 through single track? It sucks. 
View Quote
Yes, I've done it. It does suck.  However, if your primary purpose is to get out of dodge...how well it rides on single-track is not the first priority.  Getting to the single-track with an adequate amount of gear is the first priority.

Any motorcycle that you're purchasing for more than one purpose (ex. On road and off road use) is an exercise in compromise.  What causes it to be better in one area (ex. 1200cc Super Tenere is going to ride better on the highway than a 650cc KLR) is going to cause it to be worse in another area (ex. A 1200cc dual-sport is going to maneuver like a land yacht off road compared to a 650cc).

Payload wise...what are you going to be able to manage with an average weight rider on a 250cc dual-sport?

That's why the KLR (and others that size) are a good compromise...to me.  They're adequate on-road, they can do anything off-road that the average rider is going to throw at them, and they have a good payload capacity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, I've done it. It does suck.  However, if your primary purpose is to get out of dodge...how well it rides on single-track is not the first priority.  Getting to the single-track with an adequate amount of gear is the first priority.

Any motorcycle that you're purchasing for more than one purpose (ex. On road and off road use) is an exercise in compromise.  What causes it to be better in one area (ex. 1200cc Super Tenere is going to ride better on the highway than a 650cc KLR) is going to cause it to be worse in another area (ex. A 1200cc dual-sport is going to maneuver like a land yacht off road compared to a 650cc).

Payload wise...what are you going to be able to manage with an average weight rider on a 250cc dual-sport?

That's why the KLR (and others that size) are a good compromise...to me.  They're adequate on-road, they can do anything off-road that the average rider is going to throw at them, and they have a good payload capacity.
View Quote
In my experience, engine size has nothing to do with carrying capacity. People put crazy amounts of stuff on a 49cc Ruckus. I’ll take the better handling and performing machine any day. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I am not trying to deflect the topic,
but side by sides are awesome.

I have a Honda Pioneer 1000 3 seater.
It can handle 1000 lbs in the bed &
tow a 2000 lbs trailer. It seats 3 adults
side by side.

Capable of 65 mph on a good paved road,
and will climb hills that you would not think
possible. We love our P1K3.

They make a 700 & 500 for less expensive
options.

Buy once, cry once.

Good Luck.

John

Link

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have ridden dirt bikes quite a bit, never have ran a street bike more then around the block. I hear this electric dual sport handles incredibly well. Batteries aren't quite there yet. Range on a full charge is about 150 miles i hear. Not sure if some sort of solar charger could be rigged up or not.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here you go.

https://motoped.com/survival/
View Quote
They would be very interesting around a 1K price point but not @ 3K+
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In my experience, engine size has nothing to do with carrying capacity. People put crazy amounts of stuff on a 49cc Ruckus. I’ll take the better handling and performing machine any day. 
View Quote
CC mostly affects your acceleration, and top speed.  A 250cc machine would do everything and more that you would want/need in a grid down scenario.  I would not have much interest in topping the speed limit with no emergency services available, heck I don't like dong it now, because going down at 65mph gives you a good chance of never coming back up, especially if there are no ambulances or hospitals available.  On two wheels slow and steady wins the race, even more so without emergency services in place.

With that said I can easily pack just as much on my Ruckus than I could on my KLR, if I want to, and it has a much lower center of gravity.  Granted I can only go 30~40mph but its super quiet, easy to maneuver, and much less painful if you go down.  Not saying a Ruckus is for everyone, just another option if you don't mind going slow.  They also get 100+mpg.  Wife and I ride all over the place on them:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My wife and I really have had a lot of fun riding those slow little Hondas loaded down with gear.  We put almost 2k miles on them this year.  With that said I still like regular motorcycles to, and routinely commute to work on one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't fault the articles choice of the smaller bike for his daughter.  I've ridden various scooters and bikes around SE Asia and China, as well as riding in the US, and for the situation he's envisioning, I'd personally choose a KLX250 or Honda CRF250L.  As I said above, any bike you buy is going to benefit from tuning the suspension for your weight, your intended riding style, your intended load, etc.  Usually on these types of bikes that's going to mean aftermarket springs at a minimum since most are designed around a 185lb rider only.  The 250s are plenty fast enough, have enough power to haul the weight of most riders and a reasonable amount of gear and importantly, they tend to get noticeably better fuel economy than larger bikes- the fuel injection system helps with this as well as power.  Something else that is a consideration is tire wear, smaller bikes don't typically wear tires nearly as fast as larger, heavier bikes and in the article he's talking about having his daughter and her friend ride across a good portion of the country and they don't list a spare tire (or tubes for that matter) so there's that as well.    

I'd have setup the bikes he chose a little different but that's based on my own experience.  I'm definitely not criticizing his choice of ride though as I think it's decently thought out for his scenario where he anticipates travel on back roads and having to get out of sight when they want to rest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was surfing the web and ran across this article on a bug out bike:
https://www.offgridweb.com/transportation/bug-out-bikes/

The idea of a dual-sport motorcycle for a BO vehicle caught my eye.  

But I got dubious at the sheer amount of gear being loaded onto the small ones he chose.  Motorcycles with 200cc engines, weight of 280 lbs, and < 20 hp.  I've ridden several bikes in that size category, and looking at the pictures says to me the balance is all wrong, with very little weight on the front wheel.

Then he lost me entirely at the part about riding at night, complete PVS-7 night vision googles.

But the idea itself has merit.  Am I wrong in thinking the plan in the article is a bit over the top?  What would you change?
View Quote

I live near a very large metropolitan area that is at the top of the list for terrorist attacks.  It is also one of the worst cities for traffic on any given day, let alone during a crisis.

The area also has several "rails to trails" paved and gravel trail systems that go out from the city towards to the suburbs that many people use for commuting on bicycles and use for exercise.  These trails are usually the width of one car and are often gated with a removable post at road intersections so that maintenance vehicles can access the trail while keeping most other vehicles out, but offer plenty of width for bicycles, running strollers and motorcycles.  They also often parallel the major roadways in/out of town.

Before having children my plan to get out of town was to travel on my full-sized dual sport with top case and side bags as fast and as far out of town as I could get on these trails and then pick up public roads when traffic allowed.  At any road crossing, I could get back on the street and with the plates on the motorcycle its no big deal.  The idea being that traffic on the highway would come to a stop and I'd rather ride on the trail system than try to ride through/around traffic on the shoulder or medians.

As for his loadout?  That's the decision he made based on his perceived needs, mine are are more gray.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#26]
You can pick up for $1000-$1,500 a Honda nx250
Their engines are bullet proof, they have 6 sp trans and they are fun to drive.
They were available here for couple yrs(1988,1989) only.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You can pick up for $1000-$1,500 a Honda nx250
Their engines are bullet proof, they have 6 sp trans and they are fun to drive.
They were available here for couple yrs(1988,1989) only.
View Quote
Where exactly can I pickup these NX250 machines for 1k?  

Well not in my state anyways, not one that doesn't need a complete refresh to be safe and road ready.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Whole lotta fugly going on in this thread.
1st order is survival, 2nd is continuation of my bloodline. So "sexy" is also important..

Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Join advrider.com
The nx250 thread is here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/nx250-thread-official-adv-owners-manual.322268/page-611
A lot of the members there posting deals from Craigslist, eBay etc

Quoted:

Where exactly can I pickup these NX250 machines for 1k?  

Well not in my state anyways, not one that doesn't need a complete refresh to be safe and road ready.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I think his bike choice is too small and over-loaded.  Hell, just the four gallons of fuel make up 10% of the bike's weight.

The ideal bike would be A KLR650 or XR650L.

But since I don't have either I'll ride off on my BMW GSA.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Join advrider.com
The nx250 thread is here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/nx250-thread-official-adv-owners-manual.322268/page-611
A lot of the members there posting deals from Craigslist, eBay etc
View Quote
Been a member on ADVrider for a decade.  I still don't see any road ready NX250s in my AO for less than 1k.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#32]
You have to define the fantasy more, because "bug out bike" means different things to different people.

terrain, speed, noise, efficiency, size, capacity, durability, cost,...prob some more factors.

7K for that rokon is a joke. Get the KLR650 long before you consider that contraption.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I like the idea of the KLR 650.  

I have a KTM 350 EXC-F. Much more offroad than dual sport.
View Quote
Just be prepared for it not being a bike you want to spend a looong time on a freeway with. They might do it all, but they don’t do anything well, particularly touring and long distance travel. It is a q.t hour bike for me or I want to pop the gas cap, kick it over and throw a match on it. I managed a Detroit to Oshkosh trip once, it was a grit-your-teeth affair coming home, even with two days rest from getting out there.

They can be nervous on the freeway with some tires, and wind buffeting sucks with any-even the stock-windscreen. I pulled mine off.

The DL1000 is a nice bike, test rode one this year and it’s on a short list of bikes with acceptable leg room for me. I’m a sport bike guy that needs a decent all around bike to ride that doesn’t make me hurt after I get off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Honestly, if it were the end of the world,I think I’d want a Honda Grom. They do 55mph two up, get 130mpg handle well, have fantastic brakes, and are comfortable to ride. Very easy bike to live with, my GF has had hers for 2 or 3 years now... with a set of dual sport tires it would be a fantastic trail bike if you didn’t plan to jump it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top