Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 11:12:59 PM EDT
I'm looking for a lightweight, compact backpacking stove to boil water for Mountain House meals, etc. I like the canister stoves since you can get three different size cans depending on need/length of trip.

I've never used any of these so looking for suggestions. JetBoil, MSR, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Google and do a search for backpacking stove reviews. Should show some Backpacking Magazine reviews. Use that information and checkout REI.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Outdoor Gear Labs likes the JetBoil MiniMo, FWIW: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-backpacking-stove/Ratings?sort_field=3

I like MSR because they are local.  The Reactor and WindBurner both boil water fast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using the same Svea 123A since I was a Scout in the late 60s-early 70s. With a pump, utterly reliable, well built, fuel efficient, obviously durable, with one possible drawback. It sounds like a small ramjet engine when it's running.

A little spendy, but considering it gets used 5-6 time a year for the last 40 years or so..................... I do have some back up Amazon el cheapos for when I just want to grab one and go. Svea is my primary stove most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Svea-Stove-2-Pack/dp/B000XZ5FDY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505885672&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=svea%2B123A&th=1&psc=1
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Jetboil. Nothing better for boiling water. Especially for making dehydrated foods like mountain house.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for jetboil.
Just pick which size or should I say model that suits your needs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother and I both use MSR Pocket Rockets. They fit inside an MSR Alpine 1.5L pot with plenty of room to spare [for tea, lighter, soup, etc...] and they are rock solid, dead nuts simple, and cheap. Jetboils are cool, but I've less than half the cost in this set up than JB's offerings.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother and I both use MSR Pocket Rockets. They fit inside an MSR Alpine 1.5L pot with plenty of room to spare [for tea, lighter, soup, etc...] and they are rock solid, dead nuts simple, and cheap. Jetboils are cool, but I've less than half the cost in this set up than JB's offerings.
View Quote
I got one of those $7 ChiCom knock-offs that were popular here, about 5 years back.  I've seen the PRs as low as $25 and I've fiddled with my cheap-o a bit and it boils water pretty quickly.  It even came with a little plastic slip case which takes up no room, so I would imagine that the PR does the same.  

No explosions yet.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Jetboil if you've got the room.  For boiling water they are very hard to beat, for actual cooking they are pretty easy to beat.  If you get one, get the snap on legs and pot holder thingy.  Mine lives in the back of my truck year round along with an extra fuel cylinder, no issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Jetboil or any of the others with a heat exchanger will start boiling water in seconds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Pocket Rocket. My brother has the knockoff. We just got back from a camping trip in Colorado. Both seemed to work fine. I've had my Pocket Rocket for years.

Also have a Coleman Peak One Apex. It's also a nice stove just is a bit heavier than the Pocket Rocket.  It's a liquid fuel though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have been using the same Svea 123A since I was a Scout in the late 60s-early 70s. With a pump, utterly reliable, well built, fuel efficient, obviously durable, with one possible drawback. It sounds like a small ramjet engine when it's running.

A little spendy, but considering it gets used 5-6 time a year for the last 40 years or so..................... I do have some back up Amazon el cheapos for when I just want to grab one and go. Svea is my primary stove most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Svea-Stove-2-Pack/dp/B000XZ5FDY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505885672&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=svea%2B123A&th=1&psc=1
View Quote
I <3 svea 123's, but jetboil is much faster for boiling water.

I can make the hell out of some eggs and bacon on a svea, though
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Jetboil Sol and an MSR Reactor. I only bring out the Reactor if I'm doing something stupid, like doing overnights on frozen lakes in the dead of winter.

The Reactor is indeed faster and has a bigger pot, but is a pain to light with gloves and heavier, and takes a bit more fuel.

I can get around 25+ boils with a Jetboil and a 4oz can of MSR fuel which I don't think is too bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Jetboil if you don’t get below freezing. Everything is self contained in a package the size of a small coffee mug. If you get below freezing, the Optimus line is very good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the simplicity of the pocket rocket personally.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The Kelly Kettle, MKettle, or if you can find one, a BackCountry Boiler are the wat to go. They all run on twigs and sticks you find on the ground or you can burn alcohol etc. I have the MKettle and it will do the job on a trioxane bar just fine. All of these stoves are capable of running a pot on top with stands if you make or buy a set.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#17]
BRS 25gram Stove. I have a couple of the MSR Pocket Rockets, used alcohol stoves, fancy feast stove, others. The BRS is the stove to get. Cheap. Small. Light.

Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've already eaten and packed away my Jetboil while my brother is still trying to heat water with his MSR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a jetboil that's over a decade old and still going strong.  I've "sold" two other hikers on them after they saw mine.  

On a long snowshoe day-hike we all stopped for lunch.  I got out my jetboil to heat up some water for coffee, my friend dug out his pocket stove.  I was enjoying my coffee while he was still waiting for his water to boil, then he bumped the pot and dumped his almost-boiling water out on the snow.  The forest reverberated with the sound of his displeasure...

On a very remote off-trail hike into the Wonder Mountain Wilderness another friend has pretty much the same thing happen.  We'd gotten to the lake after nine hours of path-finding through the old growth forest and immediately dropped our packs to get some fishing in before dark.  The darkness came quickly and we set up out tents in the dark by headlamp, then I started the jetboil to rehydrate some Mountain House meal, he doing the same with his regular stove.  I was finishing eating while he was still waiting for his water to boil, and like the other guy, he bumped the pot ever so slightly and dumped it out in the dirt.  I was asleep before he started eating!

Two advantages of the jetboil over the little stoves; they heat water much faster and they attach to the burner so are much more stable.  Remember, the spot you have to cook isn't likely to be level and flat.

Back when MSR had a super pro-pricing deal for military, I picked up the MSR version of the jetboil. It's a little bigger but works just as well.  For day-hikes (small pack) I take the jetboil.  For overnighters (large pack) I take the MSR.  If I'm heating water for two I'll make room for the bigger MSR even on a day-hike.  I still prefer the jetboil because I don't need to light a match to get it going; it has the built-in igniter.  The MSR is a little trickier to get going- light match, open valve, match blows out...  light match, open valve, singe eyebrows...

EDIT to add a tip for either the jetboil or the MSR.  When you open your fuel canister don't throw the plastic lid away.  Replace it on the canister after use and then place the canister back inside the cup with the plastic cap DOWN.  That will prevent a rust ring from forming at the bottom of the cup.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quick tip:
Whichever stove you end up buying, keep a flint striker in the kit. Any of these stoves will light with one and you don’t need to worry about your lighter or matches getting wet or running out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything you need to know about backpacking stoves:

Adventures in Stoving

https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresInStoving/
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jetboil. Nothing better for boiling water. Especially for making dehydrated foods like mountain house.
View Quote
#truth..

spring the extra $$ for the titanium version..
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Kelly Kettle, MKettle, or if you can find one, a BackCountry Boiler are the wat to go. They all run on twigs and sticks you find on the ground or you can burn alcohol etc. I have the MKettle and it will do the job on a trioxane bar just fine. All of these stoves are capable of running a pot on top with stands if you make or buy a set.
View Quote
 Kelly Kettle  A bit bigger but it does a lot more. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Either a JetBoil or a MSR Windburner. Primus makes a similar style boiler too, but I'm not a fan of the Primus adjustment knob. Also consider an insulation pouch for your Mountain House.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jetboil or any of the others with a heat exchanger will start boiling water in seconds.
View Quote
I own dozen of stoves and if you don't want to mess with a wind-screen with the detachable canister stoves, gas stoves, or even alcohol stoves where wind is your efficiency killer, the Jetboil stoves is pretty much the fastest to get a pot of boiling water.  I do use an alcohol stove for our distance packing as it allows me to shave ounces, but if I need expediency, the Jetboil often gets the nod...especially when all you need is hot water.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been happy with the Snow Peak Gigapower coupled with the Trek 700 Titanium. The fuel canister and stove fit inside the Trek 700 cup, as does the Titanium Spork. It all goes into a mesh stuff sack and is a complete light weight cook set. I also use an MSR Universal Canister Stand for stability.

I haven't used the Jetboil so I can't compare the two. Maybe I'm missing out on the Jetboil. Just throwing out something else to consider.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#28]
If you're good with canister fuel, the MSR windburner is outstanding.  If you want an INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) stove, Solo.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#29]
jetboil or MSR reactor
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#30]
our Scout Troop is obsessed with JetBoil stoves.  We love them. Get one that has the igniter built in.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been using the Jetboil PCS for several years with no issues. I then moved up to a Mini mo so that I could simmer if I used the fry pan. Recently I've started carrying a Mighty mo in my day pack along with Sea to Summit X-pot. You can't get much smaller.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  Minimo for the win.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm very happy with the MSR reactor my brother gifted me.  I used it in AK for about four years and currently have it with me in Iraq.  It boils water as fast as a microwave.  I've even cooked soup and country ham with it (very difficult to adjust the temp...it is essentially on or off).  I like the all metal construction.  That stove rides perfectly in a rucksack sustainment pouch.  It has been beat to hell and it still works fine.  I highly recommend the MSR
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
For boiling water go with the jetboil. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and I love it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#35]
If you're JUST boiling water, you can't beat a Jet Boil or one of copies (I like the MSR Wind boiler).

There are smaller options, lighter options, more versatile options, but nothing is really better for boiling water.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a jet boil.   Mostly for making coffee while  hunting or fishing out of town.

Its fast and works well.  The only issue Ive had was trying to make coffee one morning when it was about 10 degrees out.   It did fine in the tent when we got it warmed a bit, but outdoors in the cold it took forever.  I thought the gas cylinder was empty, but I checked it when we got home and its probably 1/2 full.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Jet boil is the way to go. Get the French press too
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#38]
If you go with canister fuel, iso-butane, and plan on using it in cold temps, keep the fuel on your person, in a pocket etc. Or overnight, keep it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. I've heard of problems starting at 20° F but I've never had issues til 10° or lower. This number can change with elevation gain.

Tip- stick that fuel tank in the bottom of your sleeping bag, along with your days socks and if you got really sweaty, toss your base layers down there too. Your body heat will drive the moisture out of the clothes and up through the sleeping bag layers. Boom. Dry clothes in the AM to go along with your coffee you'll be able to make right away with your preheated fuel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I love my jet boils
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Jetboil
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Jetboil if you want to cook real food ever. MSR for just boiling water. MSR is more efficient but lacks fine control to cook anything but full blast.

I love my jet boil. Made everything from chicken curry in it to boiled water.

Despite what some have said it works in the cold 90% of my trips are snow. Of course wind and cold reduce effectiveness and you need some wind sheltering. I find building the wind shelter when needed is better than carrying a 10lb brass ring or whatever some were talking about.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Cauldryn by Fyre was just released at shot show '18 and it's a container that heats water by a battery that can be recharged. Great product for the times you can't get a fire started or don't want to draw any attention.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:17:53 AM EDT
[#43]
No love for the GSI Pinnacle Stove?
I have had mine for a few years now and absolutely love it.
Boils water in a very timely manner and can be turned down to do conventional cooking also.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BRS 25gram Stove. I have a couple of the MSR Pocket Rockets, used alcohol stoves, fancy feast stove, others. The BRS is the stove to get. Cheap. Small. Light.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2NDUj4lpdI4/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote
I just received this stove last week.  Looks like a solid unit.  I'll test it a bit before my first trip, but I don't winter camp so that won't be for a few months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just received this stove last week.  Looks like a solid unit.  I'll test it a bit before my first trip, but I don't winter camp so that won't be for a few months.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2NDUj4lpdI4/hqdefault.jpg
Recognize that you still need a pot to boil in, so yes, they are super small and lightweight, but you still need to the pot.

The pot will be less efficient, so more fuel and longer time to get to a boil.  Not a big deal on an overnighter; more of a deal on a day-hike (time) or a multi-night (run out of fuel).

Also, since the pot will not attach to the stove you risk dumping the contents.  I've seen that happen- sucks.  Tests great in the kitchen or garage, but few perfectly level spots along the trail or in camp.

I have one similar- have never in 15 years used it.  It's in the box of other unused hiking gear that seemed like an essential.  They're cool awesome little stoves but recognize their limitations.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Recognize that you still need a pot to boil in, so yes, they are super small and lightweight, but you still need to the pot.

The pot will be less efficient, so more fuel and longer time to get to a boil.  Not a big deal on an overnighter; more of a deal on a day-hike (time) or a multi-night (run out of fuel).

Also, since the pot will not attach to the stove you risk dumping the contents.  I've seen that happen- sucks.  Tests great in the kitchen or garage, but few perfectly level spots along the trail or in camp.

I have one similar- have never in 15 years used it.  It's in the box of other unused hiking gear that seemed like an essential.  They're cool awesome little stoves but recognize their limitations.
View Quote
The BRS-300 was my go to canister stove last year. Maybe 150-200 breakfast and dinner boils ?  Never a problem and still going strong.  Use a windscreen if it's windy, don't expect it to be a snow melt stove or
provide for a whole scout troop and it seems to work fine.

I've hiked and camped and cooked with a ton of people that swear by the integrated systems but I'm still
not sold.  I like options.

Pots from 1500 to 500 mL ( 450 if I'm cold soaking and just want AM coffee and PM hot chocolate )
Canister fuel; on or off the stove.  Alcohol, solid fuel, wood ... man it's nice when you can run light
with a 550 mL pot, an Esbit spyder and a pack of tabs, but that 550 pot nestles in an 1100 mL one
with a stove and a canister and a pair of hotlips - and you're cooking for 2 for 4 nights.

Back on track.  Weight, cost, durability, reliability, pot support, wind resistance, fits with my kit -
I'm trying it this year;

Soto Amicus
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I have 6-8 different stoves including MSR and Jetboil but I find myself carrying the same one most of the time.  Its a $15 folding stove that nests in a nalgene cup with a small can of fuel.   Im deployed now and it goes everywhere with me in my assault pack. Boils water fast for dehydrated meals and packs up tiny.

Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#48]
msr dragonfly is what I've been using for more than 10 years and it's crazy powerful if you want or it will go low enough to just keep things warm.

It's very small and multi fuel. It will run on pretty much anything that will burn in liquid form but I typically use the Coleman fuel which is dirt cheap compared to pressurized canisters. I also like that I can carry all the fuel I would ever need for weeks of cooking in one or two canisters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been poking around amazon looking for something to bring on future camping trips with my Cub Scout and this looks interesting...
Amazon Product

• 1.Heat exchanger ring increases 30% high efficiency. 2.The pot could hold 230g fuel\'s gas tank

• 3.Multi-purpose pot rack - can be used with a variety of pots and pans 4.Solid handle design - can be locked in a solid handle

• 5.Fire-maple FMS-X2 "Fixed Star" Stove Pot Cooking System is a Hi-heat efficient camping stove kitchen utensil. 6.X2 stove bases can be perfectly combined with or disassembled with heat exchanger pot.

Are these kinds of stoves that much better than your standard stick made fire?
I have not been camping in years and all we ever had back in my day was sticks and matches!
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Hands down MSR Windburner. Better than a Jetboil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top