Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 3:54:57 PM EDT
Just got thru with hurricane Irma and getting power and all. Would say 80% was prepared but learned a few small things when society slightly took a shit down here. One of them was dry goods on stock / having MRE’s. In our house we have minimal rice/pasta on hand since elderly father is diabetic and I’m a guy who’s trying to lose weight so I stick to fresh meat and veggies plan. I’ve also got BOBs. and hurricane bags, and cases of water for days, but I didn't have enough MRE's on hand should we have been without power for longer than we lucked out and got power before.

On part of my list next to getting a yeti style roto molded cooler for long ice use, is wanting 1-2 cases of MRE's so that I can make sure my diabetic father would be taken care of food wise with minimal cooking . I don't want to get the meal in a bucket kits you see from places as that's too much salt for my preference. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for learning MRE purchasing/ who’s a trusted source, and what might be the best meal schedule option choices. He was diagnosed with celiac disease as a kid, so we tend to stay gluten free for him, but I can eat anything if there's enough hot sauce lol. He can have some tolerance to gluten if it’s in smaller doses I’ve noticed over the years. I would say 1-2 week supply, which would be stored either inside the house in a closet or on a wire shelf in the garage in florida.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Out west here when I need MREs I would shop around on craigslist. There always seemed to be somebody selling some and if they are in the military then the MREs aren't to old. But in your fathers case I would look at freeze dried food like Mountain House, and several others because they are impervious to heat and hold up well to other environmental conditions. The freeze dried meals also last longer and I think you can customize the meals to match his diet. Mountain House sells buckets of meals just for long term survival purposes. You can find them at Costco or Amazon. There are some brands geared towards survivalist that are very tasty but I can't remember their names right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in Florida are you located OP? If you're near Brevard, IM me. I can help you with this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
are "chunky" types of soups or stews within your meal plan?...they are often on a BOGO at Publix, around 2 for 2.39 or so... easily heated in their can, just remove the top, place in a pot over a propane stove, fill the pan about 2/3 full of water and bring to a low boil, stirring the soup... you can stretch the meal with noodles or instant rice if you can tolerate them...no clean up... no burned food.. . just throw the can away... my digestive system doesn't really care for MREs

I boiled hot dogs in the same pot, and used the heated water to clean the pan... I was out of power for 3 days for Irma... but for 9 days in 2004
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top