Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 6:25:10 PM EDT
Greetings all,

I am in the process of putting together some minor preparation items (something is better than nothing right?) and needed some guidance. I live in the Pacific Northwest and the recent fires in the area have solidified (at least for me) the need for some sort of breathing protection. I have no idea what I need though I do know I am looking at reasonable use cases such as smoke, ash, etc.

Also, would it be reasonable to look for protection from radiation, viral, and/or bacterial dangers as well...though I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars.

Please sound off with recommendations and guidance.

Thanks !!!

PS. I live in the city, in case it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas masks and respirators can offer protection from particulate matter, such as ash or aerosol nerve agents, however to live comfortably in an environment full of smoke or depleted oxygen, you need an SCBA. There is no way around that.

What is your level of training? Are you able to be fitted for size and then fit-test your mask?

Just in case you are considering some cheap alternatives that you may come across...

You may read about the vintage Russian gas mask brown MO-series cylindrical filter which could allegedly "filter" or convert CO, however I would consider them all obsolete and out of date.

The Russians also fielded a mask that somehow converted CO2 into an air supply with usable oxygen-- once again, consider any of those that you may encounter as obsolete relics. I do recall the process used a chemical reaction between exhaled air and organic peroxides, and the catalyst was a porous brick-like substance that got submersed in sulfuric acid. Nasty kit to play with. The air produced by the system smelled like vomit as well, so imagine that inside a tight mask.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure how close you need to be to a large fire for oxygen depletion.  Seems many people drive out of fires in cars with flames licking the windows and dont have issues with lack of oxygen.

I would start by looking at a Scott M120 CBRN mask.  With CBRN filter, it will set you back $325+, but is a very nice do-all mask.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe a military grade gas mask has a place in preps.

If you are anywhere around a "Revolt", "Uprising" or as we used to call them "Riot", the authorities will use a lot of Riot Control agents...

Those go where the wind does, so even though you are not In That Mix, you may end up getting the overspray / splash.

If you have to drive, shoot or see what is going on, it is much easier with a good mask & protection, then with eyes burning & throat afire...

If things go to Bio issues, the .MIL masks are ABC / NBC rated for protection against airborne elements.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I think most of your needs could be met using 3M Scott 5000 or 6000 series respirators either half face mask or full face mask.
Basically like others have said particulate protection would be a first concern.
And the cartridges are interchangeable if you use the same family of respirators (verify before purchase though); you could use a basic "dust" cartridge and if the scenario changed you could choose an organic vapor cartridge or other appropriate cartridge.
And some of these use the same fitting as a Scott Air Pack if you decided you needed an SCBA to get out of an area. A crafty fellow could probably modify a few components and use a Scuba rig fitted to a full face mask respirator and drive out of a bad situation until conditions got better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the advice and guidance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top