Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2017 11:21:16 AM EDT
I found this West German marked Feuerhand Nr.175 Type 2 Super Baby today at the Flea Market today for $10.00.

Attachment Attached File

The FH 175 Type 2 is an early post-war model that is just under 8" tall. Below the filling port, the test number K1491/1 is imprinted. This is the test mark of the German Lichttechnisches Institute, Tech. Univ. Karlsruhe. The test mark indicates the permission to use the lantern as vehicle light and fulfilled the condition of the traffic laws at the time.

Another special feature is the Ölab burner. The pre-war Ölab Burner was offered again for the post-war production lamps. The lamps are equipped with a Ölab burner with a rubber gasket. Another gasket is located between the tank and the burner. Both seals provide greater tightness during operation.

In order to ensure the lantern is sorta leak-proof the wick must be completely turned out so that the metal piece attached to the end of the wick is sealed with the seal between the burner and Tang. In order to distinguish lamps with the more complex Ölab burner from lamps with normal burners, it was provided with a separate tank lid with the inscription Ölab OilOff and the wick adjustment handle bent squarely.

Here you can see the burner, rubber seal, the metal piece at the end of the wick used to seal the tank, as well as the test mark and it's OilOff cap.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I was going to put it through electrolysis but after getting the grime off I liked the patina so I left it alone.

Here it is compared to a Dietz Comet which sorta set the standard for very small lanterns in the USA. It was the official Boy Scout lantern for years.

Attachment Attached File

The Feuerhand Nr.175 was made from 1933 and saw German use in WW-II. They were painted green then. I don't see any new Nr.175s for sale so I don't know if they are still made or not. They go for around $50.00 shipped for the later painted versions.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Great find ! ! !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top