Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2017 4:09:07 PM EDT
I just picked up a USGI poncho liner at my local surplus store.  I've been reading tons of great feedback on the versatility and usefulness of the poncho liner. The one I bought seems very thin, almost as if there is no filler material.  It's in very good condition though.  It says on the liner to hand launder but I wonder if it would be safe to wash it on gentle cycle and dry on "delicates" via machine.  Also curious what the temp rating is for the poncho liner (since it is so thin).
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Woobie - More Than A "Blanket"
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Kifaru recommends that their poncho liner is to be washed in a front loader, gentle/handwash cycle.

I use Woolite, no optical brighteners.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Woolite in a top loader on a gentle setting, air dry.

Poncho liners are great for warmer nights, but their insulation value is really low. I got a Snugpak Jungle Bag and it has the same versatility as a poncho liner, with better insulating value and a built-in bug net.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've ran mine through the washer and dryer a LOT.  Still in good shape!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you guys know any good places to get real poncho liners for decent prices?  Mine has been stolen away by my daughter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my real-deal poncho liners off of fleabay.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I were going to wash mine in a washing machine I might try a delicate cycle, and very low heat on the dryer.

If the poncho liner you bought is used, surplus I can almost guarantee you it's been machine washed a bunch of times.
View Quote
I have a USGI poncho liner in the green dominant ERDL camo that I bought NOS sometime back in the 80s. I've always machine washed it. The label says that it can be laundered and doesn't say anything about hand washing.

Agree with the other poster who mentioned the Snugpak Jungle Blanket/Bag. It's noticeably warmer than the woobie, and one side is both wind and water resistant.

If you want a really product-improved poncho liner though, get yourself a Hill People Gear Mountain Serape. 
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I washed one of mine once, cat peed on it, don't remember if I did the delicate cycle
it turned out fine, both in condition and smell

they're thin but they do a decent job of insulating
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Our troops (not me) call it a woobie.

It is an important part of their snivel gear.

I prefer wool... but I have both.

M4wifey (no pics) washes them in warm/cold and fluff dries.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it weird that my 1989 woobie has never been washed......
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Those with the HPG mountain serape, is there a poncho that works well in conjunction with that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it weird that my 1989 woobie has never been washed......
View Quote
Nope. Nor is it weird that females cross to the other side of the street when they walk past you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those with the HPG mountain serape, is there a poncho that works well in conjunction with that?
View Quote
The Mt. Serape pretty much mirrors most ponchos.  I was going to pick up the OPSEC poncho, and then found this video to reinforce a good match:  

Mountain Serape and O.P.S.E.C. (Oversized Poncho/Shelter/ Emergency Camouflage)

The guys is a little off, but he does show a good match up between the two.  The OPSEC poncho is the heavier weight material, but it's also fire retardant which makes a good combo with the Mt. Serape.

Another option that I like even better than the OPSEC (I don't care for grommets), is Bushcraft Outfitters MEST Poncho.  This has taped tabs which don't stress your poncho when used as a tarp and are easier to repair.  Both look like the same material...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had the same one since the early 80's.
Bought it while in the BSA.
It would be impossible to tell you how many times it's been washed in a standard washing machine and dried in a standard dryer.
Still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I had to buy another poncho liner last week since my daughter has absconded with the original one I bought.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#17]
been through more than a few ponchos and liners and finally found some that are built for use and very versatile look into this company.

wilderness innovation

great product.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a good place to get one.

Uncle Sams Retail Outlet ACU Poncho Liner

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top