Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 9:54:14 PM EDT
I dont carry any of these cause Im worried its goin to leak.

Has this happened to any of yous?
Cause I do want to carry one in my pacs.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I dont carry any of these cause Im worried its goin to leak.

Has this happened to any of yous?
Cause I do want to carry one in my pacs.

Thanks
View Quote

You can lock them out if that's a concern.

I've had some BICs in a pocket and the button was depressed when bunched up while sitting and they've leaked, but there are methods.

Wrap a small zip tie, or rubber band around the body and underneath the button until the lighter is needed.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey chris...thanks.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
All the ones I have in bags are secured with a small zip tie under the button. I carry a mini bic in my pocket every day, and I don't notice leaks. It's in there with a sak farmer with a Gerber pry tool attached to it and a flashlight clipped to the pocket.  I also have an active job.  I wouldn't worry about them too much.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You have not lived until you carried an over-filled Zippo in your pocket!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one in a plastic case in my pack to prevent the button from being pressed that leaked for some reason.  Was in my GHB in the back of my car a couple of years and when I went to replace the power bars etc, I checked everything out.  Result was flashlight a goner from leaking batteries, and bic lighter completely empty.  Lesson learned, don't keep batteries stored in devices and check lighters every couple of months as well as having matches for a backup.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I think that burning sensation in your pants was just you happy to see me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All the ones I have in bags are secured with a small zip tie under the button. I carry a mini bic in my pocket every day, and I don't notice leaks. It's in there with a sak farmer with a Gerber pry tool attached to it and a flashlight clipped to the pocket.  I also have an active job.  I wouldn't worry about them too much.
View Quote
This is the way to go.

Also, rip off that metal guard that goes around the striker wheel before doing this.  Those things will get in the way of getting a flame if your fingers are wet/cold.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have carried a lighter in my pocket pretty much everyday of my life since I was 11. 25 years of smoking =(. I have never had a bic leak in my pocket. Zippos, well of course and them cheap clearish rectangle lighters are built really cheap and can crack and leak in the pocket. Like others have said, if you are really worried about it just wrap a small rubber band under the button and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I keep a BIC in my center console for lighting my cigar and one hot day in Miami, I went to light it and I had a six inch flame come out!

I've never had one burst, but that lighter was under a lot of pressure.  I now point the lighter away from my face, or just depress the button before sparking.

BICs are pretty indestructible, but their not perfect.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a full sized Bic in one of these:
Fire Sleeve
It is on my key chain.
I did by a box with like 50 mini-Bics a while back, but I just keep them at home for "in case."
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
They're so small and light, just carry 3. One of them will work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep a two Bics in each of our bags.  To prevent leaks I store them in an Altoids "fire making kit".  This prevents the button from getting depressed, and is convenient since the tinder is right there with the lighter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
over the years I have found that bic lighters leak when left in a drawer without being touched.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
over the years I have found that bic lighters leak when left in a drawer without being touched.
View Quote
More likely, the flint will corrode and won't spark.

They're a good product, but they don't last forever, IME.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
hair tie....several wraps with one going under the button, it also serves as a grip enhancement for the slick body......
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The last time I bought them (for survival kits ... don't smoke) two of the five in the "WalMart bulk pack" wouldn't ignite.  I had selected a pack toward the rear of the display because it had two orange and two red (which I like for survival kits).

Always test your gear (regularly).
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used an o-ring with one of those glow-in-the-dark tabs on it.  

Fits under the lighter tab, prevents accidental leaks, and can be used as fuel if needed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I gave up on BICs. I had several throughout my various bags and one each in with every "hillbilly MRE" bucket  that I put together.  After about 5 years I was switching out the perishables and not one of those BICs worked. The wheels had all corroded and would not turn and strike sparks off the flint.  Most had lot their fuel as well.
YMMV
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cut a 1.5" length of bicycle innertube and slide it over the Zippo. It slows the evaporation (since I don't smoke, I just like fire) and prevents the naphtha burn.

For the OP, I have a Spool Tool in my day pack that is pretty cool. It exactly holds a BIC mini and has a little tab to keep the button from going down. It might be more stuff than you want, but i thought it was pretty nifty.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to the hardware store and buy a rubber o-ring that will fit around the lighter in the little notch on the bottom of the fuel button and keep it from being depressed.

If you're willing to carry a full-size bic, you can get an Exotac fireSleeve.  I wish they'd make them for Mini-Bics.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
A far superior solution for   fast FIRE  is available here:
Really  high quality, oring sealed LIGHTER

Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a three of those.  The o-rings on all of mine failed eventually.  O-rings are easy to replace, but bad or no o-rings = fuel evaporation.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Lighters are not an end all do all of fire.  They require checking, and double checking.  Bic is one of those tried and true brands but they do eventually leak, or flints corrode.  Obviously if you push the button in your pocket it will run out of fuel.  Prepping wise variety is key; lighter, matches, ferro rod.  I KISS (keep it simple stupid) in my BOB but at home, I keep a variety.  Plenty of matches, a supply of bic lighters, a good stash of clippers, no shortage of zippo parts/ components/ fuel, and plenty of ferro rods.  diversity is important.
Even ferro rods can corrode quickly and are not a perfect answer.  All of the above require a form monitoring.  Setting yourself up for failure thinking you can stash something, not look at it for several years, and hope it works when you need it, other than a P38 can opener that is.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top