Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 6:05:49 PM EDT
Looking for some suggestions for a 1-2 person tent for backpacking. Lighter weight and compact preferred.

My MSR Hubba has been going for 8 years and it's close to retiring it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you really want a two-person tent for occasional one-person camping.  A one-person tent is a ONE-PERSON tent.  A two-person is barely that if you get a good, modern, lightweight tent.  But you already have /  know that I think.

My advice is to get an REI Half Dome 2 tent.  Couple inches wider than an MSR Hubba and half the cost.  My old REI Half Dome gave great service for practically 20 years, I still have it and use it casually but it leaks a little now.  The new ones are under $200 and they come in grey / olive green which is cool for discrete camping instead of gaudy bright colors.  Only draw back is the 21" pole section lengths.   I like them more compact.

https://www.rei.com/product/878519/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-tent
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/ultamid-4.html

This will be my next purchase. I'm actually putting up two golite Shangri-la tipis to help fund it. I love floor less tents and that one is by far the lightest I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
this is what I'm considering. don't have any exp with it tho. recently seen it on massdrop but missed the offer.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Mountain-Shelter-LT/dp/B009408338?th=1&psc=1
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this is what I'm considering. don't have any exp with it tho. recently seen it on massdrop but missed the offer.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Mountain-Shelter-LT/dp/B009408338?th=1&psc=1
View Quote
That's pretty slick.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've moved to a tarp and net tent.  I love the space and adaptability.

net tent 1.58lbs

tarp 1.2 pounds
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Lost my big tent last year and needed a quick small replacement for my son and I. Went with the Coleman Sundome 4 person. Great little tent that went up fast and easy. Withstood 2 nights of severe thunderstorms, and torrential downpours. Fit me ( 6'1, 225 and my 5 Y/O ) great. Definitely would have fit my wife fairly comfortably if she went with us.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lost my big tent last year and needed a quick small replacement for my son and I. Went with the Coleman Sundome 4 person. Great little tent that went up fast and easy. Withstood 2 nights of severe thunderstorms, and torrential downpours. Fit me ( 6'1, 225 and my 5 Y/O ) great. Definitely would have fit my wife fairly comfortably if she went with us.
View Quote
That's an 11lb tent.  For backpacking that would be a nightmare to carry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently bought a Kelty Salida 2 for a backpacking trip. $115 off Amazon and it held up very well to a hailstorm that killed a couple other tents. About 4lbs so not super light but light enough. It would have been more comfortable by myself but was ok with two (after my buddy's tent got killed).
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
MyTrail sl5 or sl3 essentially the golite sl5 or 3 awesome tents used the 5 alot.

Big agnes fly creek UL2 is another tent I just picked up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I was looking at Tarptent. They're out of Washington IIRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The Big Agnes Rattlesnake SL 2 for $174 shipped is a pretty sweet deal. I went ahead and got this. We'll see how well this works, from the reviews, i'm pretty optimistic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Doors on both sides and clips instead of like sleeves are features I prefer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out the  Nemo Hornet 2P

It sit's right at 2lbs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00452C2IC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506915258&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mountainsmith+tent&dpPl=1&dpID=415Xz-F-NqL&ref=plSrch

I just got back from a CO trip. Used it for me and a 8 yr old. I like it. Slightly heavy but not bad. Will fit two normal sized adults. With two adults you could share the load and it would weight very little.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Big Agnes Rattlesnake SL 2 for $174 shipped is a pretty sweet deal. I went ahead and got this. We'll see how well this works, from the reviews, i'm pretty optimistic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Awesome deal and tent.  I'm 6'3" and have the 1 man version.  Used it at Philmont this summer.  Plenty of room and very well built.  I'd jump on this if I needed a tent.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Marmot Aurora from 2013.  Discontinued but they have a similar model - Tungsten 2P.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Marmot Aurora from 2013.  Discontinued but they have a similar model - Tungsten 2P.
View Quote
I have Tungsten 3P - damn cool tent.

Well made and great value
Roomy with 3 people
Great headroom - you can sit up pretty much anywhere inside
Large vestibules - big enough to put all packs, boots, etc. under cover
2# and change / person!  
Free standing except two the vestibules guys

I'm sure the 2P is just as good.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
anything by REI

find deals on ebay

Red
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like you really want a two-person tent for occasional one-person camping.  A one-person tent is a ONE-PERSON tent.  A two-person is barely that if you get a good, modern, lightweight tent.  But you already have /  know that I think.

My advice is to get an REI Half Dome 2 tent.  Couple inches wider than an MSR Hubba and half the cost.  My old REI Half Dome gave great service for practically 20 years, I still have it and use it casually but it leaks a little now.  The new ones are under $200 and they come in grey / olive green which is cool for discrete camping instead of gaudy bright colors.  Only draw back is the 21" pole section lengths.   I like them more compact.

https://www.rei.com/product/878519/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-tent
View Quote
A couple of the hardcore hiker dads in my kid's scout troop use the Half Dome 2 and 2+. One of them works for REI so he gets a discount making it a better deal. They had high praise for them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]
For weight savings, tents that use your trekking poles are often the lightest, but they usually aren't free-standing either, so you need to figure out what's more important.

I really love Tarptent

I own two.  One is the Stratospire-2, which is really big enough for three people and a 1-person Notch. The smaller Stratospire-1 will sleep two (albeit a little cramped).  It's a 3-4 season tent, roomy, versatile, and only 36 ounces.  Like many double-wall tents, the mesh netting can be left behind with just the outer shell and a ground sheet for a real light option.

While these non-free standing tents can be put up quickly (less than two minutes when practiced), it does take more time to find a suitable location as it's a PITA to move once staked down as opposed to the free standing tents.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check out the  Nemo Hornet 2P

It sit's right at 2lbs.
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top