Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 1:58:51 AM EDT
I had a brain fart and posted this in general originally.

I recently got my daughter a Esee Izula, in pink of course, and was thinking about putting together a kit to go with it.  So far I am thinking of getting her a ferro rod, a little first aid kit, and adding some cut up twine for fire starting.  

So I decided to ask you good folks for some ideas for other items as well as a source for the items and a cool, compact bag that will hold everything but not be cumbersome to a 90 lb 12 year old.

We don't do any hardcore primitive camping as my wife and toddler wouldn't be up to that.  I am thinking that this would be something that she likes and can be used for both of us to practice and build a skill set with.

Any ideas and links/pics/tips appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#1]
whistle (ACME 626 or similar), P-38 can opener, Fenix E05 LED light (with lithium primary) or similar, small bees wax candle., small button compass like a Suunto
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a P-38 that I have carried for years!
But for a young child you might want to look at the P51.

It is a little bigger, so small hands can control it.
It all so give you a little more leverage (torque) in opening a can.
Both have dual purpose. I have used it as a screw driver many times!

IMHO! Look for a small folder (like) a Swiss Army Knife. You know your daughter best!
For me, a folder is all a child should need, if she is not camping/ surviving alone!
But that is me!!!
Good luck! How about a few pictures of what you and your daughter come up with?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Micro Leatherman.Also got mine a swiss army knife. Got her the glow in the dark one. Pink bandanna.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
We did something similar for our 11 year old son several years ago.  Our intent was for him to take it with him camping and for hiking etc...

I gave him one of my old Camelbak Mule hydration packs (a green version of the below - but they have much cooler versions now).

Attachment Attached File

We bought a new bladder for it as well.  We put together a firestarting kit in an Altoids can, a small 1st Aid kit, multi-tool, flashlight, whistle and a couple of lightsticks that he carries in the Camelbak.  We also keep a couple of high energy snacks in the pack as well.

He loves bringing it camping, practicing his firestarting skills and going on hikes with it.

Good for you for getting your daughter interested!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw this a few days ago traveling to Afghanistan, but didn’t get a chance to respond, but I did the same thing several years ago…

So, I did something very similar for both our kids when they were younger.  We did a lot of hiking and backpacking, but neither were of the age to carry all their gear.  My goal was a basic day-hiking setup that they could take camping (where mom and dad carried all their main gear), but still serve as an emergency 72-hour bag.

I'll share this post I made a while back.

We do a lot of hiking, rock climbing/bouldering, backpacking and camping. When we go out on day hikes, I always have my kids carry their Camelback with their essentials. Both my son and daughter know how to safely use a knife, start and safely manage a fire, use a space blanket in conjunction with a field expedient shelter, basic water purification, basic signaling and some very minor navigation. Need to work a little more on first aid, better shelters and snaring/fishing. Regardless, I thought I'd share what I made for them...sort of a "kids' 72-hour essentials" kit for bugging out or just carrying while hiking:

I posted my kids’ kit a while ago, but I have since updated both of them and my son will be revalidating his next week on our little camping/backpacking trip. My son is now 9 and a ½ and my daughter just turned 14… both have been camping/backpacking several times and are pretty experienced at making fires, using knives, procuring and purifying/filtering water and knowing what to do when lost. My intent was/is to give them a kit for a 72/96 hour wilderness survival situation…along with the knowledge of what to do. Additionally, it gets them in the habit of carrying a pack (albeit small) as a basis to build up to larger packs for extended backpacking trips. Biggest piece of advice is just not to throw stuff in a small pack and say "here you go"...make sure they know what everything is used for and that they practice it. Both my kids loved making fires, filtering water, building a simple debris hut shelter, using the space blanket (properly), etc.

This is always worn:

Packs are just kids-sized Camelbak or similar hydration packs:

Total Weight (minus water):

Basic contents (this was over 10-12 years ago…):

Mora Clipper w/ Sheath Mechanic's sheath and Swedish firesteel
55-gallon garbage bag for emergency shelter
Space blanket
Ziploc bags (1 gallon and 1 qt)
Potable Aqua tablets
Frontier Survival Straw (new addition)
Extra pair of hiking socks
Small Nalgene water bottle (16oz)
Small nesting cup (Snow Peak’s 300, single wall)
Clif Bar
Peanut Butter
Individual drink flavor packets
Water tube (about 20” of Camelback tubing)
About 50 feet of 550 paracord
Cigarette lighter
Survival matches
Large Tea-light candle wrapped in tinfoil
Cravat
PAL LED light/strobe
Petzle 3AAA headlight
Silva compass
SAK – it’ll be an engraved Farmer for Christmas
Small Role of TP
Extra whistle and firesteel striker
Small fishing kit* (just something I added out of habit)

Small IFAK w/ some extras
- Band-Aids
- Large bandages
- Large gauze bandages
- Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin
- Antibiotic/burn cream
- Providone iodine wipes
- Sting-eze wipes
- Needles, Spiderwire spool
- Dental floss
- Medical tape
- Moleskin
- Sliver Gripper tweezers
- Safety pins
- Large paperclips
- Pencil wrapped w/ 12” of duct tape
- Razor blade
- Rain-rite paper, 2 sheets
- 6 feet of surveyor’s tape wrapped on paperclip

My son's water bladder is the smaller 50 fluid oz version and with both that and the 14 fluid ounce Nalgene water bottle, it adds up to just over 4 pounds, so their entire kit come in at about 9.5 lbs...not bad for a 72-96 hour survival kit that they have when hiking. Both my kids do just fine with the weight..

Here's Sheath Mechanic’s piggy-backed sheath that both kids now have:

More of a belt-mounted, scouting kit:

I always put in a little “survival card” on what to do if lost:

Again, a few ideas, somewhat dated, but the importance is not so much about your daughter’s kit, it’s making sure she knows how to use everything and spending the time with her to understand the purpose, design, and use for everything she may have in her bag.  I’ll reiterate the advantage of a small hydration bladder pack as this is invaluable to keep them hydrated much easier than a water bottle that can get lost.  I still included a small bottle and cup, but the hydration bladders made that task very easy for our children.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Also a small index card with all important numbers on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Victorinox needs to change the name of the Farmer, the name does not do the knife justice... 3 of my students earned their Eagle Scout rank at the same time... I gave each of them an alox Cadet... at the time I was a knife noob, should have been a Farmer... 1 went to USNA, 1 went to USAFA, and third to UF in architecture...
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
County Comm has a lot of small / lightweight gear that is high quality.

Are you trying to build her a "bug out bag" or "edc" ?

For a pocket EDC ... All kept in a small tin ...

P51 Can Opener
Water Purification Tablets (blister packed)
Fox40 Micro Whistle
#95 Paracord (available at your Hobby store) in Blaze Orange
Silva Button Compass
Bic MINI Lighter
LMF Scout Ferro with Striker
Maratac AA Flashlight (wrap spare battery in plastic wrap to prevent corrosion)
Benadryl (blister packed) ... for emergency allergic reactions (after you validate she isn't allergic to this med)
Spyderco Lady Bug

For a more balanced EDC .... all of this will fit in a Maxped Fatty Pocket Organizer

Her ESEE
Platypus .75L collapsible water bag
(6) Water purification tablets (blister packed)
Frontier filter
3/4" x 2" sharpening stone
Bic Lighter
LMF Scout Model
QuikClot Sports Sponge
Yard Waste Bag (heavy mil version)
WalMart Emergency Poncho (the tiny super thin disposable kind ... barely larger than the yard waste bag)
Silva Starter Compass
SOL 2-Person Space Blanket
50' #325 Paracord
(3) Wet-Ones Antibactieral Wipes
Fox40 Micro Whistle
Streamlight Compact Sidewinder 2 Headlamp (will run on AA, AAA, CR123)
(2 spare) AA Batteries (wrapped to prevent corrosion)
Small Stainless Boiling Vessel
P51 Can Opener
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my everyday pocket carry "kit" ....

The Paramilitary 2 and Streamlight are clipped in my front off-hand pocket.  The "kit tin" is in my back pocket.

The black 325 paracord is cut to bootlace length because in my everyday life I'm much more likely to break a shoe lace than anything else, haha.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my go everywhere "Personal Survival Kit" ....

The Busse knife is heavy.  The lighter weight has the knife removed, but sheath still attached to the pouch.  The lighter weight should approximate the total weight with her ESEE knife + sheath.

PERSONAL SURVIVAL KIT CONTENTS

Maxpedition Fatty Pocket Organizer [Foliage Green]

Fire Making

(1) Butane Lighter, Bic
(1) Fire Steel with Striker, LMF Army

First Aid & Hygiene

(2) Adhesive Bandage, Large
(3) Antiseptic Wipes, Germ-X
(1) Hemostatic, QuikClot Combat Sport

Food Related

(1) Can Opener, P-51
(1) Snare Line – See Paracord
(3) Tea Bag, Organic Caffeine Free

Navigation & Signaling

(2) Batteries, AA
(1) Compass, Ultimate Survival Technology
(1) Headlamp, Streamlight Compact Sidewinder 2 (AAA, AA, CR123 Compatible) with QD Head Strap
(1) Pen, Sharpie
(1) Whistle, Fox 40 Micro with Lanyard

Shelter

(1) Bandana
(1) Emergency Blanket, SOL 2 Person
(50ft) Paracord, #95
(1) Poncho, Emergency

Tools

(1) Knife, Busse Active Duty Battle Grade with Mashed Cat Kydex Sheath & MOLLE Loks
(1) Knife, Kershaw 8750TOLBW
(1) Sharpening Stick, Ceramic
(1) Yard Waste Bag

Water

(1) Boiling Tin, Stainless Medical Grade
(1) Water Bottle, .75L Platypus
(1) Water Filter, Aquamira Frontier
(4) Water Purification Tablets, Varies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top