Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2017 4:25:11 PM EDT
This isn't a troll post, really not sure.
Dont know anything about these masks but always hear about them. I want to get some...what kind and also they look flimsy.

What are they good for? Just to fight againsted colds or like a flu?

Thanks guy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
They remove 95% of particulates in the air, it is primarily used in the medical setting to protect against airborne droplets from a patient who is coughing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If something is airborne, you'll want some be it biological or debris.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I was baling hay about 20 acres, it wasn't the pristine all green fields you'd imagine.

Ground squirrel, gopher holes, dust so bad the windshield on the tractor was opaque in 10 minutes. 

N95 masks were the only thing that made it breathable I love them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
3M 8511 or Moldex 2300 series. For more than a few minutes us a N-95 with exhalation valve. Much more comfortable and does not get wet from breathe
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for not clownin me.
Im gonna get some!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything other to look at then 3M 8511? Whats a good price and place? Amazon?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I read that if the people of New York City had N-95 mask on 9/11/01 there would have been a lot less sick people because of all the dust...

I bought a box of about 10 or so on Amazon for not much money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A few things to consider:

95 percentile masks are the highest degree of filtration that is feasible to use with the filtration working on exhalation as well as inhalation.

This is why they are used in medical settings - to keep the sick from spreading germs, as much as to protect others from those germs. With that said, they still do a reasonably effective job.

You can get something rated for a higher percentage of filtration that has an exhalation valve. Those do less to protect others if you are sick, but would be a (probably very small) fraction better at protecting you from the environment. Masks with exhalation valves also do not build up moisture and heat as much, so are more comfortable to wear in hot weather.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
OP-

I have been using the 3M masks listed above for 20? years. I bought them for SHTF but started using them for everything.

Like the guy above - I have a hobby ranch and need to mow, weed eat, etc. a lot. I used to have seasonal allergies, but ever since using the masks, the allergies are all but gone.

My neighbor likes to talk over the fence when I weed eat down there. He always smirks at me when I take the mask off. He changes his tractor filter all the time. I guess his 'engine' doesn't need clean air to operate at peek efficiency.

I use them anytime particulates are around, yesterday I was CNC milling fiberglass dry - crap floating in the air big time - mask on! Spray paint - mask on! They even cut down the smell from 2 stroke engines.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer P-95 masks over N-95 masks in an urban/suburban environment and for day to day chores around tractors/paint.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
One other tidbit.  Dust masks are good for yardwork, regular droplets, etc...  N95 are used for protection from airborne illnesses like SARS, TB and chickenpox.  Make sure they fit.  They're not one size fits all for airborne viruses.

jd1
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have bad allergies and when Im doin my yard I just use a bandanna.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
These are the type that I get.

I like the spacing of where the two straps connect to the mask.

I wear them anytime I am my riding mower.

Amazon Product
  • At least 95% filtration efficiency against solid and liquid aerosols including oils
  • Odor removing filter materialCarbon layer provides relief from nuisance levels of organic vapors for greater comfort
  • Lightweight construction, promotes greater worker comfort

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#17]
N95 masks are good at reducing particulates that go into your lungs. I use them at work all the time.

A couple things to remember.

1) When you buy them, they will always say N95 on them. If it doesn't have a rating, it is a comfort dust mask, which are junk.
2) They will always have 2 elastic bands. You put the first elastic band (bottom one) over your head, slide it down to your neck, position the mask in place, and then slip the second one on to your head, and then pinch the nose piece. Do not just use the top one leaving the bottom to dangle. That is useless, though I see people do it all the time because it is more comfortable.
3) Having a facial hair will reduce their effectiveness.
4) Wearing them will require you to breathe slightly harder. For the vast majority of the population, this won't be a problem. That said, if you have some underlying difficulty breathing, you may have issues. If you are unsure, I'd say try it in a resting situation and see how it goes, and then work up to more physical activities. I wouldn't start running around outside in 95 degree weather doing calisthenics. Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One other tidbit.  Dust masks are good for yardwork, regular droplets, etc...  N95 are used for protection from airborne illnesses like SARS, TB and chickenpox.  Make sure they fit.  They're not one size fits all for airborne viruses.

jd1
View Quote
N95's are not only for medical uses. They can be used for any activity that doesn't involve seriously hazardous materials (you don't want to start ripping out a bunch of asbestos wearing just an N95).

Personally I think the one strap dust masks are garbage. They don't really help me at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to all of yous!

I ordered a 10 pack, I know it aint much but its a small start.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep a stash of them in my SHTF supplies, and I use them for various tasks around the house.  I wear them mowing the lawn, and I never blow black crap out of my nose when I wear them (there usually IS a bunch of black crap when I'm not wearing one).
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
N95's are not only for medical uses. They can be used for any activity that doesn't involve seriously hazardous materials
View Quote
Agreed.  I need to pack a few as I'm heading back over to A'Stan (again).  Air quality can go from great to toxic in a day; people burning tires, smog, air pressure that helps in linger longer and all the other lovely odors of poor sanitation, no garbage disposal services, heaps of refuse and general lack of any sanitation practices.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm heading back over to A'Stan (again).  
View Quote
Stay safe Rock!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
N95's are not only for medical uses. They can be used for any activity that doesn't involve seriously hazardous materials (you don't want to start ripping out a bunch of asbestos wearing just an N95).

Personally I think the one strap dust masks are garbage. They don't really help me at all.
View Quote
Good point. I'm aware of them having other uses, just wanted to point out the medical side.  Agreed that dust masks are garbage.  N95s aren't really expensive.

jd1
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I need to pack a few as I'm heading back over to A'Stan (again).  Air quality can go from great to toxic in a day; people burning tires, smog, air pressure that helps in linger longer and all the other lovely odors of poor sanitation, no garbage disposal services, heaps of refuse and general lack of any sanitation practices.  

ROCK6
View Quote
Stay safe man...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a few, about 20,000. . Local company bought them for the bird flu. Donated them to the county a couple of years ago. Have them tucked away everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top