Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 3:55:03 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing another section hike on the Appalachian Trail in GA next month. I've never even thought of bringing a GPS device with me since the AT is pretty well marked and a map and compass have been all I needed in the past. But with the 2 little kids we have now, the wifey is a little nervous about me being gone in the mountains for a week and a half. Me and my buddy don't have too much money to spend, but were interested in one of those Spot GPS devices. We basically just need something to call for help and locate where we are at for an emergency, and wouldn't mind the option of sending a "I'm OK" message. I've seen the Spot Gen1 go for $30 but with all the new devices out there, is it obsolete or will it suit my needs? Not really looking to spend $100 on the new Gen3 and pay that yearly subscription fee for something I'm not even sure I want. But for $30 and the peace of mind for my wife, it seems like a no brainer as long as its still a viable option. Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#1]
My spot one had problems a couple years ago, tech support at spot said they were no longer supporting it.  Two years ago.  That's why they are 30.00.  Don't do it.

I bought the new one cause I am often alone and beyond cell service.  It works fine, but I wish I had gone delorme and had the ability to send any text, and receive them.

And the spot service plan just went up to 200/yr I think.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You can rent PLB w or w/o messaging.  Many outfitters offer, just Google for it.  No need to buy.

Depending on where you're planning to go, you may have enough coverage.  And most smart phones have GPS.  I have ATT for my phone, so coverage is spotty on the AT for me.  But VZ has the best coverage and if you get to a peak, you can usually get coverage.  I've had LTE on my ATT from high hillside facing a known town.  This summer I reactivated an old VZ when I was spending 2 weeks in backcountry and felt comfortable.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
TAG.

I spend a bit of time in the backcountry myself and looked into both the spot and delorom options, but man are they pricey for someone who only uses them a few times per season.

I went with the above posters open, both an AT&T and Verizon phone when in the backcountry.  Opens up your opens vs only having one carrier.

Verizon and AT&T work of different towers because they operate using different technology.

GSM & CDMA. A quick but not really correct way to describe it to those who have no interest in detailed technological explanation is FM or AM radio.

My primary phone is an AT&T smart phone, but I also keep a Verizon prepaid plan for those times when I am in the backcountry and only have service from one or another, or god forbid a realistic disaster scenario taxing the phone system.  

I also carry a VHF/UHF hand held radio, being a ham, and working in the communications field, I have knowledge and the ability to utilize many radio repeaters in and around my AO.  Not an option for most but figured I would throw it out there.

With all that said, even the two cell and ham radio option is not a sat phone or sat emergency communicator, just other options.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This I was looking at the same thing for my job I'm going to be working at a National park that has no cell service and at times my radio will not work do to cliffs and how far away I might be from my vehicle.

They make 4 types of these InReach just go with the cheapest one as I have read that even with the $500 the GPS is not the best and to get a separate GPS.

You always know you can get help unlike a cellphone, you can send emails/text to people giving them where you are at also you can have a two way communication with family or SAR if you need it can't do that with the Spot1.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My bad, the spot 1 is way too old.  Spot 2 was what I had, and kind of liked. Till it went tits up.  Spot 3 is what I now have, and wish I had the delorme unit.  But it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top