Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2017 6:06:05 PM EDT
I'm going to be doing some international traveling. I'll keep a light pack with me as much as possible with some emergency items. My current thoughts are:

Surefire e1d with fresh batteries
N95 mask
Nomex gloves
Tourniquet
Water and some calories

Money belt or 5.11 holster shirt for docs and cards.

Phone with translator apps, maps, and a spare battery

Burner wallet with $20 usd and some local currency but no id or cards etc

Any regular travelers on here with some suggestions? I'm not looking for "taken" level preps or a giant unwieldy bag of nonsense, just a few emergency items.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm going to be doing some international traveling. I'll keep a light pack with me as much as possible with some emergency items. My current thoughts are:

Surefire e1d with fresh batteries
N95 mask
Nomex gloves
Tourniquet
Water and some calories

Money belt or 5.11 holster shirt for docs and cards.

Phone with translator apps, maps, and a spare battery

Burner wallet with $20 usd and some local currency but no id or cards etc

Any regular travelers on here with some suggestions? I'm not looking for "taken" level preps or a giant unwieldy bag of nonsense, just a few emergency items.
View Quote

Just a few thoughts…

Replace the tourniquet with a T3 Israeli bandage (or 2).  Way more useful than just a tourniquet.
https://www.rescue-essentials.com/israeli-t3-bandage-4/

Get a hat with a brim.  A ball cap or boonie or Tilley or whatever but get a hat.

Replace the Surefire with a Streamlight Protac 1l-1AA.  It gives plenty of light on a CR123 (350 lumens) but you can use an AA or AAA in pinch (about 150 lumens).  It can also work as a head lamp (if you have a hat with a brim).

In addition to the “money belt” or shirt holster for cards and passport, consider a regular money belt.  Tough to beat cash in hand even if you have nothing else.
https://www.bullhidebelts.com/collections/money-belts

Edited to add...

In addition to cash, the money belt is a great place to keep important numbers.  Think about your own phone numbers but also your credit card numbers and the customer service phone numbers for the cards.  Not just to report them stolen but to get a new card moving to you.  If you can keep enough cash to pay for a night or two in a hotel room and a few meals that would usually be enough time to have a new credit card delivered.

Regarding cash, there’s no doubt more is better but there’s only so much room in the belt.  Common wisdom regarding emergency cash is “The least it’s going to cost you is the smallest bill you have”.  Stuffing a money belt full of hundreds lets you carry around quite a lot of money but throwing around big bills may attract attention you don’t want or make you appear desperate and/or vulnerable.  Keeping a few small bills for cab rides or a lunch bill may be something to consider.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
40 years ago in SEA... money belt with a copy of US birth certificate, passport, and travel orders with any security clearance marked on it... (before widespread availability of copy machines, we made photo copies on slide film, kind of a DIY microfiche)..in addition to a "bribe" US currency, today I'd include a 1/10oz gold coin to get you a taxi ride to the US Embassy...secured documents to get you past the nice Marine guard... be sure to declare the money entering the country if necessary

make contact with a kid you believe you can trust, and have him/her make you a set of phonetic flash cards...  written out in host country's language and any principal dialects, and phonetic pronunciation underneath... take me to a doctor, hospital, US embassy, police etc

don't wear clothing that immediately identifies you as American... Levis, logo ball caps, logo shirts....I always tried to wear khaki and had a native shirt made if I was staying for longer than a couple of days... if you are a GI, loose the contraceptive glasses frames

see if you can get a copy of the Dept of State Area Handbook.... look up the customs... don't pet Buddhist kids on the head, step on a loose baht bills containing picture of Rama IX...know which hand to use if eating from the communal food bowl...don't take picture of any military installation or equipment... don't sit with your back to the door... keep aware of situations in the immediate and neighboring barrios/ provinces

add a Sawyer small water filter
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Wet wipes
Tea bags or other flavorings
Contractor trash bag
Flat pack of duct tape (Heathrow TSA stole my nice roll of Gorilla tape)
Twist ties
Vacuum-packed toilet paper

I found these clips really useful as an accessory to luggage:
Amazon Product
  • Hang your things anywhere
  • A fully functional clip with a rotating, folding hook
  • Lightweight and strong

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contractor trash bag
Flat pack of duct tape (Heathrow TSA stole my nice roll of Gorilla tape)
View Quote
I also carry a flat roll of duct tape; very versatile.

On my travel bag, I have a Vanquest FATPack attached that is pretty much a blow-out and I've flown with safety shears.  Not sure how they would get viewed for overseas, but I've had not troubles here in the States.

I will be doing some international travel this year working overseas and was wondering if anybody has traveled with any of the new TSA compliant pliers, like SOG PowerLock Multitool.

Don't forget a good bandana, a great multipurpose item.  I also travel with a bottle that I can empty while going through security and fill with water beyond the security gates (saves a ton of money).  Any one of the "tactical pens" is also a nice addition.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I second leaving the Surefire at home. I am a Surefire fan, but I carry a Pelican 1920 everyday. If I was abroad, I would want a light that is easy to find batteries for, Cr123s are tough enough to track down here, I can't imagine in other countries. I think the Streamlight Protac would be a the ideal option.

Maybe add a stout metal bodied pen, nothing tactical looking, just a nice, non descript pen.

I always carry a small Adventure Med kit along with a CAT and izzy bandage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The "Embassy Pen" is non-tactical enough to go through security, but plenty stout.

Perhaps a 1x AA light vs 123 power?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
A few band-aids, some Tylenol/Advil/Imodium in the travel sizes and maybe some gauze.  Finally, some gum, or toothbrush/toothpaste.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Have plans to bring everything needed/valuable with you at all times. If its not on your person, then consider it "gone".

Passport
wallet/CC/cash (local currency)
Travel CC's are great - if you lose one, you're out a few hundred $$. Cash is king. Get to know the local coins. Don't tip like an American. (google it)

Don't put all your items in one place on your body.

If you are staying in hotel rooms, be creative with hiding your leave behind stuff.

If you can, dress like a local. I have specific euro clothing to use when I travel (purchased on previous trips) and I get mistaken for being local, or at last euro all the time. (until I open my mouth, hard to hide the US dialect) LOL

Research areas before you head out - avoid problematic areas. (ie. don't engage in a political debate in Speakers Corner in London).  

Be friendly. Ask lots of questions, engage the locals, but don't talk about yourself. Less is more.

Always check agrees routes in the hotel you are staying in. Pay special attention to windows to roofs that lead to nearby roofs.

no matter where you are, if things get weird, then get out. Hesitation kills. Don't linger.

I don't check luggage, and my carry on bags all function as backpacks as well. Great for rucking it when needed. Bring all the meds, snivel items
that you might need. Some items which are easily obtained here, aren't overseas.

Be nice! Locals love a visitor who appreciates their locale. When it comes to politics, play it neutral. They'll all know US politics, but you'll know next to nothing about their local situation.

Be smart, have fun and enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
While there are some basic items you ought to carry anywhere, some of it just depends on where you are.  Riots usually don't just happen, governments don't just fall, etc.  You are more likely to miss a bus or flight or find some place interesting and decide to stay there an extra day than society crashing around you.  On the other hand, certain areas are prone to things like cyclones, typhoons, earthquakes, etc. so having an idea of what to do and how to get out of town is advisable.  As for civil unrest, pay a little attention to the news wherever you are; most hotels have TVs so cut it on at night or when you wake up and see if there's an English speaking channel (often BBC for whatever region you're in) but even if you don't speak the language you will recognize the names of places and can find them on your map to see if they are close.  Obviously avoid areas of planned disturbances i.e. Charlottesville, or areas that are likely to experience unrest if people are mad at their government and planning protests.  Don't stand out and follow your intuition, again, a little research can go a long way.  I'll give you an example- when I was living and working in Malaysia several years ago the people were mad at the government for wasting money on things like their surface submarine (French built sub that they found out had issues with being underwater, still no idea why Malaysia really needs submarines).  Anyways, the protestors were wearing yellow shirts as a show of solidarity.  Well the oil company we were drilling for gave everyone a free polo shirt as part of a plan to increase moral (another story) but the shirts were bright yellow with the oil company's logo on them.  As the company man is handing them out the Malaysian are looking at him like he's crazy- and these are guys who loved anything free.  Yeah, they took them and I'm sure wore them later but they weren't about to wear them when they got off that rotation.  Another tip- when you check into a hotel try not to get too high above ground level.  When you get to your room, figure out where the exits are and how to get to them in the event of a fire or blackout- both of which are more common, especially in third world countries, and I do not want to be trying to go down a lot of stairs in the dark.  Plenty of areas do not have aerial ladders that will reach very high despite having taller buildings.  I always put my flashlight on the table next to the bed everywhere I stay.  I also keep a set of clothes ready to get into quickly and have at least my daypack or messenger bag packed or nearly so.  I could go on about techniques for escaping fires or damaged buildings but I've already drifted a bit off topic but basically pay attention to what's going on around you and generally you won't be surprised if something happens.  

As for gear, I agree on the flashlight.  It’s been a while since I was in Europe but lots of Asians love "tactical stuff" and love to play airsoft and paintball so you can usually find things like CR123 batteries in the cities but don't count on it.  I carry two flashlights- a Streamlight stylus Pro and an older Black Diamond headlamp, both use AAA batteries which can be found all over.  The Streamlight can be used as a Kubotan if you know how to use one of those and it's small enough to go unnoticed in your hand while walking.  If you do decide to get a "tactical" pen make sure it looks like a regular pen; I've seen TSA confiscate one that didn't as well as the screeners in HK.  

Nothing wrong with having a N95 mask or two in your bag.  Surgical masks are common all over Asia.  I'd pass on the nomex gloves and get some basic nonmilitary looking leather gloves.  Something like the Magpul ranch style although I'll admit I've had a pair of Mechanix gloves in my daypack for a while now since they dry out faster than leather.  

I don't carry a tourniquet unless I'm motorcycling.  I do carry a bandana everywhere and I wear a belt.  I also carry a couple of Band Aids, some Tums, Imodium, Benadryl and ibuprofen.  The little packs you buy at convenience stores all over the world are handier than having a whole bottle and easier to replace.  Carry at least one pack of tissues and a pack of wet wipes- tp can be non-existent in some places (learn how to use a squat toilet and how they clean up before going to areas with them- it’s not something you want to learn on the job so to speak).  A tube of hand sanitizer is handy and it seems everyone is carrying them these days.  

Splitting up your money is wise.  Some of the travel clothing compaies have hidden or harder to access pockets or you can do like lots of travelers and just sew a pocket inside of your pants or shorts.  Go to the restroom or other discrete area to access it.  Carry at least two credit cards and have enough balance on them to buy a plane ticket or pay for medical care if needed.  Don’t be surprised if your credit card number gets hacked, most banks will forward you another by express courier if needed- be sure to let your bank know where you are going so they don’t flag it and lock it for suspicious activity.  Most banks are actually pretty good about catching fraudulent charges and putting a hold on your account.  Make copies of your ID, passport and important numbers and upload them some way.  I just attached a page titled something goofy to an email to myself from another one of my email addresses and it’s there if I ever need to get copies.    

Phones can be great for the reasons mentioned; I carry a recharging battery thing in my bag.  

A bottle of water and a snack bar or two is always a good idea.

I use a weather resistant messenger bag a lot of the time (North Face Base Camp messenger bag, mine is blue).  It doesn't really stick out too much and the weatehr resitant part is nice when traveling in areas prone to rain.  It's easy to swing around in front of me to get stuff out of or make sure no little hands get in it.  My usual daypack is a fake Arc'teryx I picked up in China for like $12 or a Kelty Redwing if I'm carrying a larger bag.

Bonus tips, otherwise known as things I also carry.  A travel sized umbrella- good for sudden rain as well as sun protection (yes, a hat is always a good idea as well).  A small notepad and pen- making notes, drawing maps, drawing pictures to try to get your point across, doodling.  A small collapsible bag- I carry one of the Sea to Summit ultra-sil bags.  Great for when you come across something at the market you decide you want or to carry your loaf of bread home without squishing it or any of a thousand other uses where you might need a handy bag.  The straps are thin so you’re not going to go backpacking with it but for carrying lighter loads from the market to your hotel or home they’re great as they pack down to the size of a small hacky sack.  A paperback book- because reading is always good and things always seem to take longer than they should and it’s nice to have something to do besides stare at your phone while using up your battery.  When you finish it, swap it out at places that have frequent travelers (drop in on youth hostels for example if you need English language paperbacks).   Synthetic travel clothes for the win.  They tend to breath better, they don't get stinky as quickly, they pack smaller and lighter and most importantly, you can wash them in the sink at night, wring them out then roll them up in towel and wring out again then hang them up to dry and they should be good to go in the morning.  I've traveled for a month at a time with just the Kelty and a fanny pack (yeah, they're still acceptable overseas and they're great for motorcycling).  Inflatable neck pillow for flying, the other style takes up too much room.  Also several pairs of disposable earplugs for flying or noisy hotels in town.    

Most importantly- don’t listen to all of the nervous Nellies in GD who will tell you how they’ll never leave the country, won’t go to any place where they can’t carry a gun, etc.,  use some common sense but the world is an awesome place and most places and the folks in them are just normal people looking to live their lives.  In fact, most places are I’ve been have been more friendly than the US.  Have fun!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top