Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 10:26:54 PM EDT
I filled up my can with 4 gallons of unleaded. When I got home this is what I saw.

This is the 2nd one that has been punctured. The hole came from the outside. Kinda bummed since I love these cans. (Still have 4 left) I guess I'll try out the plastic ones. Is LCI still the go to place?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are punching holes in metal cans you might do the same to plastic. i would look around for what is killing your cans.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Just how old are your cans?

ETA: how are the lid gaskets? Could that be the leak... or did you find the holes in the can?

Here are top quality new ones.

Set of four genuine NATO Jerry cans

lid gaskets

Made in Latvia under the Wavian brand made by Valpro (a NATO spec manufacture who has been manufacturing them for 60+ years)

Manufacturer website.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Made in Latvia under the Wavian brand made by Valpro (a NATO spec manufacture who has been manufacturing them for 60+ years)

Manufacturer website.
View Quote
These are good ones.  I have six.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, expensive but those are nice cans, good quality. I have a few.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: how are the lid gaskets? Could that be the leak... or did you find the holes in the can?

lid gaskets

Manufacturer website.
View Quote
Ive had these for ablut 8 years. They are from a swiss vehicle import company. I have no idea about the manufacture date. I think this ine fell over in the yard when almost empty and a rock punctured it. I just didnt notice until it had fuel in it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Wavian Steel Jerrycans Specification:

All of our Jerrycans are made from 0.9mm pickled steel (the only ones on the market!)

To prevent internal rusting, all of our cans are lined petrol resistant alkyd-ammonia based paint – 100% safe from flaking.

External powder coating gives anti-corrosion protection and a smooth finish.

The unique wide channel breather enables ‘glug’ and splash free pouring – Our 20 Litre Cans will empty in 25 seconds!

Strip welding ensures handle strength.

Robust Triple Handle.

Special holes drilled in the handle enables our pouring spouts to be attached.

Bayonet closure is completely leak proof with the can in any position.
   UN number approval certifies compliance with Dangerous Goods Transportation Regualtions.
   Date stamp on cap – shows year/month of production.
   Internationally Patented Locking Pin gives additional security against accidental opening of the can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wavian Steel Jerrycans Specification:

All of our Jerrycans are made from 0.9mm pickled steel (the only ones on the market!)

View Quote
They are nice cans, but GELG also offers 0.9mm steel cans.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are nice cans, but GELG also offers 0.9mm steel cans.
View Quote
Not to nitpick... but, from the GELG website:

Our jerry cans are durable, attractive and secure.

High-quality pressing and double-sided emulsion.
   Cans made from steel 0.8 mm thick.
   The material is welded using plasma machines and then painted on both sides with a powder paint resistant to the action of fuels.
   The inner painting of the can protects against rust and prevents deterioration of the contents in case of long-term storage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember tj asking why my surplus metal cans were a different green than his surplus metal cans.  Mine had been allowed to knock around a bit and what not and messed up their paint so I used some green paint I had on hand to touch em up.

I take a good look at anything I own if it is getting refilled or something.

Metal needs checked to see if paint is chipped and rust starting, plus check gaskets.

Plastic gets checked for any gouges and gaskets checked as well.

If the can had a hole in it, your pic shows nothing for me due to bandwith being used up, I would expect to notice it immediately upon filling the thing if I did not notice it on a quick inspection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top