Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 10:58:36 PM EDT
Who makes a good short height hiking socks?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote
I still have my first pair of smartwool socks I bought 10 years ago.  I regularly wear Lorpen light hikers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Smart wool. Darn tough. Fox river

I really like darn tough myself
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll be good to go with the brands mentioned. I'd recommend wearing sock liners whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I typically prefer merino wool socks and when hiking summertime and they're all crew-sized socks.  For medium weight I like Darn Tough stocks and for lightweight, I like Smartwool.  REI also has their own brand which have done pretty well.  My non-merino wool socks I'm warming up to in the summer are Prosok bamboo socks.  They're a little thicker, but really wick away moisture and are quite comfortable.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you guys like wool vs synthetic?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you guys like wool vs synthetic?
View Quote
I don't use synthetics anymore or at least if they are they're a wool blend.  Some synthetics have some anti-foot-funk stuff built it, but most smell like rotten monkey butt after a day of hard hiking, foot sweat or wet from precipitation or creek crossings.  For me, it's either merino wool or bamboo.  I don't often use sock liners, but when I do, they're silk.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several pairs of Thorlos and they have been bullet proof.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking for a cheaper option, I know the Academy brand (Magellen?) makes a merino wool brand of sock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a pair of darn tough "no show" socks.  A little warm, but otherwise comfy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Smart wool.thorlos..but my Cabot and sons merino wool hikers are what normally gets worn.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
All I own is Smartwool and Balston in several different thicknesses. Neither brand has ever let me down. I was lucky enough to find all 10-12 pairs I own at TJ Maxx and Marshall's for $4-$6 a pair.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Highest percentage of merino wool possible.  I have several different brands and would have a hard time recommending a specific, but I often get various wool socks from cabalas, sierra trading post, and even from Walmart on occasion.

Some of my personal favorites:

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j19end7nv300zk8a0104w&mi=11469&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproduct%2FREALTREE-PACK-MERINO-WOOL-SOCKS%2F1769644.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dwool%252Bsocks%26CQ_sort%3DpriceLow%26CQ_page%3D20
They often go on sale for $10 for two.  I probably wouldn't buy them at their normal price.  These are not heavy, but rather an average weight.  They are my go to about 75% of the time.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/goodhew-expedition-socks-merino-wool-mid-calf-for-men-and-women~p~3971v/?filterString=goodhew%20socks&merch=search-zr-prod3971V#qaSection
These are really thick socks.  You would probably have trouble fitting these inside normal fitting footwear.  My heavy stiff sole hiking boots which I use when hauling large loads are probably a 1/2 size bigger fitting so I can run really thick cushy socks.  Also helps my toes from bottoming out when coming down steep hills with 50#+.  I really only wear these when on long hauling hunting trips.  Normal backpacking I use normal hiking boots.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rocky-Wool-Blend-Hiker-Medium-Men-s-Shoe-Size-6-ndash-9-2-Pack/17327676#about-item
I would rate these as my "beater" socks.  Obviously not as good as high content merino wool but I have had good luck with them.  I actually have two generations of that sock, some I got several years ago which are more like a heavy weight wool/ crew sock.  The current offering is closer to what its sold as, and that's a medium weight hiker.  The current or last version I got is a lower calf sock, but works perfect for average height hikers.  I also tend to use these as my "sleeping" socks.

IF you have $$ to spend you can't go wrong with Filson.

I could keep rambling on, but much like boots, socks are not one size fit all.  What works for me might not work very well for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top