Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 2:45:33 PM EDT
Do AA Lithium batteries leak like the alkaline batteries do ? Also where's a good place to order some where the chance of counterfeit is low ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming you mean the standard AA voltage and not the higher 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries (14500)?  Despite the cost, I use ithium batteries, either CR123, AA or AAA for mission equipment applications, self-defense tools or when backpacking.  Lithium batteries (in general as there are several different chemical variations) don't leak.  Unprotected cells can heat up and explode or catch on fire, but those are extremely rare and often involve a defective cell.  

Lithium batteries have a vastly longer shelf-life than alkaline; they are lighter and perform better in higher temperatures.  For 90% of my battery needs, I rely on rechargeable LSD NiMH batteries.  For serious tools and backpacking I almost always go with lithium batteries.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.
View Quote
See above.

Nimh doesn't either and is pretty much the safest chemistry out there.
Costco had Eneloops $20 for 10 some time ago and one of the large name brand companies uses theirs rebranded IIRC.
Fast charge capable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops. Regular voltage .
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oops. Regular voltage .
View Quote
Anything with liquid electrolytes can leak, but Energizer Lithium Advanced and Ultimates don't leak with anywhere near the frequency that alkalines leak.  I believe that I read one guy who had one leak, over on CPF, but that's about it.

Battery Junction dot com had them in bulk quantities.

Shelf life is up over 20 years now, making them the kings and their out of pack voltage is about 1.80v.  They're about half the weight of alkalines.

Here's a good review of the L91 Ultimate:

Energizer L91 Lithium Ultimate AA

3Ah at a 1A draw is pretty impressive.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

See above.

Costco had Eneloops $20 for 10 some time ago and one of the large name brand companies uses theirs rebranded IIRC.
Fast charge capable.
View Quote

NiMH have a lower nominal voltage, 1.3V per cell as opposed to 1.6V for lithium AAs (alkaline 1.5V as a comparison.)

NiMH are great rechargeables, much better than the old NiCADs, but the lower voltage can cause problems with some electronics.
They also self discharge, so aren't good for storing.

I keep Lithium AAs/AAAs for immediate use and NiMH for recharge and for backups when I can solar charge.
I also use the lithiums in camping equipment, BOBs, GPS/Beacons, etc.
And high dollar electronics like NODs and my Bosch laser level.

I get Energizer lithium and NiMH AA/AAA batteries at the military commissary for about half of retail cost (I'm not sure of other deals out there).
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

See above.

Fast charge capable.
View Quote
Eneloops are the best +1
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Eneloops are the best +1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See above.

Fast charge capable.
Eneloops are the best +1
Actually, "Eneloop" is now just a 'brand name' owned by Panasonic.  The factory that has produced Eneloop batteries when Sanyo owned everything is the FDK plant in Japan, which is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu.  It owns the factory, technology and patents on low self discharge batteries (LSD), which are Eneloops.

Fujitsu markets their own brand which is more, or less, identical to Panasonic's offerings.

Duracell Ion Core AA/AAAs are pretty much sourced from the FDK plant (more akin to Eneloop XX/Pros), as well as some of the Amazon offerings, Ikea and Energizer 2300s, which are marked 'made in Japan'.  There are some variations, but Fujitsu is selling to everybody and their grandmother.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't tested the Eneloop 4th Generation batteries, but I've had their Low-Self-Discharge stored for well over year and work quite well.  I could only estimate about 70-80%, but it wasn't too noticeable for intermittent use.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I haven't tested the Eneloop 4th Generation batteries, but I've had their Low-Self-Discharge stored for well over year and work quite well.  I could only estimate about 70-80%, but it wasn't too noticeable for intermittent use.  

ROCK6
View Quote
Good to know the is.
I'll have to try some.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6
We're up to Gen. 5 right now and the amount is minimal.  I did a one year test on new Eneloop Gen. 2s, GP ReCyKos and PowerEx Imedions.  All are considered LSD chemistries.  The Eneloops only lost about 13% after a full year.

Fifth Gen. Eneloops are 70% after 10 years, so there's no worry about that.

Chris

1 year self discharge test: Eneloops, GP and Imedion...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote
Thanks Chris.  That's pretty amazing...70% after 10 years is phenomenal for a rechargeable!  I won't even consider alkaline batteries anymore unless I'm on the trail and need an emergency replacement.  Lithium or rechargeable (Li-ion or NiMH) are all I buy these days.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks Chris.  That's pretty amazing...70% after 10 years is phenomenal for a rechargeable!  I won't even consider alkaline batteries anymore unless I'm on the trail and need an emergency replacement.  Lithium or rechargeable (Li-ion or NiMH) are all I buy these days.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

ROCK6
It's been slow on this board, so I don't mind regurgitating the info.

Fujitsu, Eneloops, hi-cap (semi-LSD: Eneloop Pros, Duracell Ion Core, Fujitsu/Amazon Hi-Caps) offerings, Amazon, Duracell, whatever, are ultimately the way to go.

I'm at about 5+ years into my first batches of Eneloops and they're still in the 1.5x volt range for internal resistance on my Maha C9000, so they're good and my AAAs are a bit higher.  Some of the better brands of HSD batteries, like my Sanyo 2700s, AccuPower 2900s and AccuPower 1200 AAAs have long since bitten the dust, so I won't be buying any of those.

I do take out my batteries that don't get used much and run them through the Maha for a few cycles, to keep the electrolytes spread out, so that's always a good practice.  Get an analyzing charger, like the Maha C9000, LaCrosse BC-700/1000, Opus BT 3100/3400, or Liitokala Lii 500 Engineer and a person can get an idea of the health of their NiMH and Li-Ion batteries and cells.

I'm a bit more anal about it, than some, but I've mellowed over these five years, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's been slow on this board, so I don't mind regurgitating the info.

Fujitsu, Eneloops, hi-cap (semi-LSD: Eneloop Pros, Duracell Ion Core, Fujitsu/Amazon Hi-Caps) offerings, Amazon, Duracell, whatever, are ultimately the way to go.

I'm at about 5+ years into my first batches of Eneloops and they're still in the 1.5x volt range for internal resistance on my Maha C9000, so they're good and my AAAs are a bit higher.  Some of the better brands of HSD batteries, like my Sanyo 2700s, AccuPower 2900s and AccuPower 1200 AAAs have long since bitten the dust, so I won't be buying any of those.

I do take out my batteries that don't get used much and run them through the Maha for a few cycles, to keep the electrolytes spread out, so that's always a good practice.  Get an analyzing charger, like the Maha C9000, LaCrosse BC-700/1000, Opus BT 3100/3400, or Liitokala Lii 500 Engineer and a person can get an idea of the health of their NiMH and Li-Ion batteries and cells.

I'm a bit more anal about it, than some, but I've mellowed over these five years, lol.

Chris
View Quote
This is good info to regurgitate.  I do an annual refresh/charge of all my batteries, but I rotate through for use as well.  My biggest problem is tracking my batteries down as my two (now adult) children borrow them and then they disappear.  I've got better control measures and once the boy's off to school in the fall, I can keep a better eye on my batteries...my flashlights, my ammo, my knives, my backpacking gear, my tactical gear, cash in my wallet...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Battery junction allowed me to seriously stock up on the cr123a batteries over time.  Free shipping and tiny coupons got me to place orders a couple times a year and over a few years I built up a nice stash.

Sam's is where I get the bulk packs of energizer lithium aa and now aaa batteries.  If I don't go I ask an aunt to pic some up a couple times a year.  They have mostly swapped over to these as well.

My eneloops are the glitter ones from several years ago on clearance, I also agree with the maha charger.  I guess I will shop new eneloops this holiday just to get some newer ones in and mess with them.

Since I got rid of alkaline I really don't deal with batteries all that often.  Kind of nice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Battery junction allowed me to seriously stock up on the cr123a batteries over time.  Free shipping and tiny coupons got me to place orders a couple times a year and over a few years I built up a nice stash.

Sam's is where I get the bulk packs of energizer lithium aa and now aaa batteries.  If I don't go I ask an aunt to pic some up a couple times a year.  They have mostly swapped over to these as well.

My eneloops are the glitter ones from several years ago on clearance, I also agree with the maha charger.  I guess I will shop new eneloops this holiday just to get some newer ones in and mess with them.

Since I got rid of alkaline I really don't deal with batteries all that often.  Kind of nice.
View Quote
You perhaps bought the Eneloop Glitters (Gen. 2) off of WOOT, since they had a nice little sale going on them with a dumb charger a few years back, for $16 + s/h, for 8 Eneloops.  I think I paid $37 for 16 batteries, which was a good price back then.

I got two of them and they're the 9/2012 5th Anniversary jobbies and tested quite well out of the pack.

I don't think that they've changed all that much from say Gen. 2 through Gen. 5, it's just like with Mountain House and LifeStraw, the products were new and they really didn't know how good they could be, or how long the shelf life is/was, so they guesstimated.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I have three Maha C9000 chargers to feed my ham radios and flashlights.  Great charger.
All long term batteries are NIMH because I have lost too many electronics from alkaleaks.
Have some lithium for extra long storage in emergency lanterns.
Still use alkalines for short term use where I plan to use until exhausted and throw away for fear of leaking.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Woot it was.  Before amazon got ahold of em. 

The aa have proven themselves so what I really will order will be aaa rechargeable.

Should also get some decent 18650 batteries as well, got some cheap lights that came with junky batteries.

I like to stagger lifetimes of stuff, so 4 aa will probably show up as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Woot it was.  Before amazon got ahold of em. 

The aa have proven themselves so what I really will order will be aaa rechargeable.

Should also get some decent 18650 batteries as well, got some cheap lights that came with junky batteries.

I like to stagger lifetimes of stuff, so 4 aa will probably show up as well.
View Quote
If you have access to a COSTCO, they have 10 Eneloop Gen. 5s for $20 in a single pack, they have a 12 AAA Eneloop Gen. 5 (I think on these) for $20 bucks and then they have the typical bundle with BQ-CC55 charger 8 AAs and 4 AAAs (IIRC), for ~$25.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Eneloops are the best +1
View Quote
+2.
Eneloops never leak and hold their charge for many years. This is what I use for all devices that require AA batteries.
They have a decent capacity too. Costco sells them and chargers too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top