Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 12:12:04 AM EDT
Hey guys, been looking into some different packs for camping and I'm kind of interested in this set up. My budget isn't the highest so this seems like a real price point warrior. I have two questions. The first is would the Hellcat system be big enough for say a 3 day, two night outing, and what would expected price be for an already assembled unit in all woodland. Thanks for any replies I get.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used my hellcat for a 3/2 trip and there was ample space provided you are a frugal packer. I bought my stuff from Old grouch and assembled it my self but they offer a fully assembled hellcat pack.
Hellcat
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The first is would the Hellcat system be big enough for say a 3 day, two night outing, and what would expected price be for an already assembled unit in all woodland. Thanks for any replies I get.
View Quote

IIRC the woodland Alice was only available in a medium size. Three days would be about the limit of for it. Of course depending on what you packed.
Also the woodland Alice wasn't produced in the numbers that the OD green medium was.
Price is all dependent on your sources. I built a Hellcat for right at $30 by piecing it together when I found the components.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I would probably email or call old grouch and ask what the used molle packs for 50 bucks in the clearance section are really like.

I am not that picky, if it shows up needing a car wash cleaning I will take it and throw it in the back of the pickup while I use the do it myself car wash to clean up the truck.  Really the garden hose would probably work with some dawn dish soap and that way I could drink a beer or two while hosing it out and letting it soak and what not.  I doubt they are that bad, but I would call and check if it might be a problem for you.

If set on woodland, good luck.

If set on hellcat, check the ee here and other surplus sites and see what price things will come down to with shipping included.  I figure unclesams won't have alice stuff but I guess I would check there as well.

I think a medium hellcat is fine and dandy but part of why it got popular is a lot of folks already had the alice pack.  Old grouch is clearing out the frames cheap, but shipping can change the price fast.

And in the end, with a hellcat I would save some money and assemble it myself watching some youtube vids and spend the money on beer and food to eat that night while assembling my new to me toy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I decided to fo on a woodland Hellcat rig on eBay from  gunboatparksurplus. Now I just need to find a good bivy sack and sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
They are extremely rare but there were issue Large Rucks made in the Woodland Packcloth, NSN correct.  I had one I bought local for $50 and they show up on eBay from time.     

Edit: Kingdom Mercantile in AZ:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-US-Army-Camo-Alice-Pack-Large-With-Frame-Real-Military-Surplus-Survival-/291579070700?hash=item43e37788ec:g:2OwAAOSwFnFWDaM4
Fabric is same as the light woodland packcloth used in some of the Sincgars carriers.     Compare to the polyester-based Chicom copies on ebay.

You can expand the Medium Ruck by having some PALS loops added between the side pockets and the back seam for attaching the MOLLE Sustainment Pouches as needed, like for expanding it to a 3 season ruck, with space to carry ECWCS Puffy Suit.

This is an Italian issue Woodland Camo Alice Ruck Derivative, has two extra stuff pockets on the sides:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Military-Backpack-Woodland-Camo-Camping-Survival-Hiking-/291821568159

There is also a Woodland Camo Italian Alpine 90L Ruck with removable daypack, if you can still find them for sale, has a combination internal frame and external plastic lumbar sub-frame:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Army-Alpine-Rucksack-Bergen-With-Frame-Removable-Day-Sack-Mountain-100L-/162239192003?hash=item25c6359bc3

Without the daypack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Army-Alpine-Rucksack-Bergen-With-Frame-Removable-Day-Sack-Mountain-100L-/162239192003?hash=item25c6359bc3
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used my hellcat for a 3/2 trip and there was ample space provided you are a frugal packer. I bought my stuff from Old grouch and assembled it my self but they offer a fully assembled hellcat pack.
Hellcat
View Quote
For a large all woodland for about $86 bucks is not a bad deal at all OP! One thing I will a say with a pack like that is watch the weight the pack alone is going to weigh a lot. Large is around with frame 8 to 8.5 lbs and from what you add to make it a Hellcat sure weight will go up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IIRC the woodland Alice was only available in a medium size.
View Quote
This has been my experience.
Never saw a woodland Lrg Alice pack.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
     Aw, man! When did the SINCGARS radio packs shrink?   I remember the first ones out were same size as the Medium Alice but with radio pocket modified, the slit in the flap and some had a padded back.
    I caught one on ebay reduced price $10, for NIW, I figured I can't get a used Medium Alice packbag here for $10, and this one is Woodland Camo.     Go to put it on the frame and it appears to be about 4-5 inches shorter in height. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top