Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2017 12:55:48 PM EDT
This has probably been beaten to death around these parts, but every now an then a topic should be revisited for furthering education.

I was out putting around the other day and went to a gun shop that had a rack of old surplus Kansas National guard shotguns for sale for a really reasonable price. They were all Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrels on them. Was thinking about grabbing one to throw in the trunk of my car.

So what would be better and why for a trunk gun, a shotgun, or a rifle?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
rifle>shotgun>handgun
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rifle>shotgun>handgun
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
AK-47 is a good trunk gun. Very reliable and low maintenance and the 7.62x39mm round is controllable and can shoot through cars well.

Odds are good if you get into a gun fight near your car that your target will be in or behind a car.

I think a shotgun is great for home defense though as its devastating at CQB ranges with 00 Buckshot. Setup in a long narrow hallway and wait for the bad guy to wonder into the death trap, boom!! Haha 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You should have had a choice for "other".  Much depends on your location, local ordnances, proximity and frequency of crossing state lines, etc.  

As mentioned, inherently a rifle is better than a shotgun; and a shotgun is better than a pistol.  

With that said, a rifle may not be the best option depending on the circumstances.  I actually think a shotgun in my AO would be perfectly fine. Another option that I have been using is a short AR/AK pistol (including 9mm variants), as they are basically pseudo-SBRs, but are still covered as handguns making crossing-state lines less of a hassle than an NFA item.  Additionally, just a handgun (your CCW?) is the minimum and may be more than acceptable depending on your personal risk assessments and planning.  

Rifle type can be controversial.  Where a "black-rifle" may be less accepted a hunting rifle or shotgun may be less troublesome.  A scout-type bolt action or lever action rifle may attract less attention and more appropriate for your vehicle.  I personally like the AR/AK type pistols mostly for their size if I'm forced to vacate my truck but the situation doesn't require full-blown open carry, I can still keep it discreet as I navigate via foot to my home or other predetermined location.  

As I say in my line of business..."It depends"...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If a fullsize handgun is not adequate and I am not going to the vehicle to drive away from the problem I will go to the vehicle and get my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
You are not limited to one gun. Keep the shotgun in the rack and a pistol between the seats. As for what to carry if I was out in the boonies and some varmints or a bear was sneaking around what would I like in my hands. it sure as hell isn't a handgun. However I am not going to fire a shotgun from the cab of my truck as I am half deaf already and kinds value the other half.  My personal truck guns are a AR15 and a Glock 17 but if I had a Mossy 500 I wouldn't feel to disadvantaged.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Something else to consider, is what firearms do you want to have on you and in your vehicle if you are unable to return home to your stash of firearms, ammo and supplies.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going with rifle but anything is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:11:57 AM EDT
[#10]
True GD fashion, both. Each as their purpose in life and distinct strengths and weaknesses. But for poll purposes I voted rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
rifle>shotgun>handgun
View Quote
I concur.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep a 16" barrel .44 mag lever between my truck seats. You would not see it unless you were looking for it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd say a ride is more effective than a shotgun, but I'd rather have a $200-$300 shotgun stolen than a $600-$1000 AR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends on your area.

For me, rifle. I live in suburbs, so a riot is far more of a concern than catching game. Also, I happen to have a spare AR that I'm not doing anything with, so it goes in the truck just fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]
A lot depends on your location.

Since truck gun is not defined lets assume you dont have a CCW. Or you have a CCW but cant take in your place of work.

In cases like this id prefer having a handgun.

Assuming you have your handgun 100% on you and so the long gun is the truck gun and you have to decide between the 2 at least in my AO i might chose shotgun. Single to pump. The less components i may have to deal with if i have to hump hills the better. Now if i lived in tje big city sure a rifle due to the higher potential of a riot but id be looking to try to get away not to fight in a firefight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Ma Deuce or go home!

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I think a lever gun in 357 or 44mag would be an ideal truck/trunk gun. Not "scary" to the retarded public in the event you had to use it, good ammo capacity, decent range, excellent terminal performance, can kill any animal in the lower 48 at closer ranges, fairly quick to fire multiple rounds....

I need to buy one
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Some geezer pulling a lever gun out of the trunk of his Biscayne isn't at all scary.

I'm pretty sure nobody would even notice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
For a "leave in the truck all the time" gun, I'm voting shotgun. If somebody breaks into the vehicle, I'm willing to cough up a $300 18" gun. I feel comfortable enough with a shotgun to see it as a beneficial thing to keep in the vehicle.

If I'm going somewhere that having a rifle makes sense, I'm going to bring an appropriate rifle, and not rely on a PSA/Anderson beater for that job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Neither, AR-15 Pistol w/ a brace, a 10.5-12" barrel, flashlight, and a 1-4.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If a fullsize handgun is not adequate and I am not going to the vehicle to drive away from the problem I will go to the vehicle and get my rifle.
View Quote
What if your vehicle does not work?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
AR Pistol in Kino Configuration.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#23]
This depends a lot on where / what / when you do stuff.  Working as a surveyor is different than a cubicle jockey.

I'd also go for cheap over effectiveness.

Check your state laws about loaded in vehicle and where you can keep it. I believe WI dictates unloaded, which means nothing in the magazine tube or a detached magazine.  Loading a lever gun or pump shotgun quick isn't as easy as popping in a magazine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This depends a lot on where / what / when you do stuff.  Working as a surveyor is different than a cubicle jockey.
View Quote
+1.

In my AOPS = rifle>handgun>.22lr>shotgun
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Draco Pistol with folding brace.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
We have an awesome thread about use of a carry pistol for self defense, but is there a similar thread about trunk guns? I would seriously be interested in hearing some actual stories.

I can see having a trunk gun if you live in the country, or travel to through the country for work, but for most city/suburb dwellers, such as myself, it seems your chances of having to use one are a million times less than your chances of being attacked by a wild polar bear in July in Manhattan. If your CCW cant handle it, you are probably screwed regardless.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to have an NPAP(AK) that I kept as a truck gun but have since moved to a folding stock SLR104FR that can come with me as needed. Folded up it can fit places any other legal rifle cannot and be carried discretely if needed to be away from the vehicle.

Ideally a folding stock SBR would make the best truck gun for concealability and maneuverability inside the cab. I can see an AK or AR pistol with a "brace" serving that role well. If there weren't legal issues a AKSU or MK18 with a folding stock adapter would be better still because if the robustness of the folding stock.

I'm saying this over a shotgun because at the same size the sbr the shotgun is much more difficult to control with a lower capacity.

In any case the gun needs to come with you to and from the vehicle and a long-gun is much harder to move discretely over any distance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends on where you live I suppose.

I live in a rural area so my truck gun is an AR, It's main purpose is putting down coyotes and fox and it does that much better than a shotgun.

It's one of those PSA/Anderson beaters but it's never failed me.

I always have my CCW on me just in case a Coyote Lives Matter riot breaks out when I'm not close to a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I cleaned out my hunting Bronco the other day. One shotgun, two rifles, a .22 and a pistol.
Just in case.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I cleaned out my hunting Bronco the other day. One shotgun, two rifles, a .22 and a pistol.
Just in case.
View Quote
     That just reminded me that there is a Browning Buckmark tucked in the truck seat too.  I suppose I oughta' take a good look tomorrow and see what else is in there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Shotguns are cheap and they work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shotguns are cheap and they work.
View Quote
...and they are slow to reload, have limited range and the ammo is heavy.

On a recent long-distance trip I considered taking a shotgun, in addition to an AR, two pistols and a .22. But decided to stick with those since I could carry a lot more ammo compactly than I could have with a shotgun. I was space-limited on my trip so something had to stay home.

If I did take a shotgun it would have been my Baikal Izh 94 combination rifle and shotgun (30/06-12 ga w/.308, 20 & .410 ga adapters).
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What if your vehicle does not work?
View Quote
Like I said, if I am not driving away from the problem I am getting my rifle.

I fully understand that depending on permission slips or where someone lives the handgun vs. rifle definition is a big deal.

I am answering in this thread based a whole lot more on handgun cartridge vs. rifle cartridge.

So if I have a 10.5 inch ar pistol in 223 I am going to consider that as covering my rifle answer.

If I have a 9mm carbine, I am putting that more in the handgun category.

Depending on what you need to accomplish with your firearm use what works for you.

But I consider a good ar pistol that I can shoot well to be as good as an ar rifle to me.

For me, ccw is usually going to be 40s&w or 45acp.  Go to truck, these days it is something in 223/5.56. 

After messing with a super redhawk in 454 casull I readily admit if I had one with a 10.5 inch barrel or whatever the longest length is and a good scope, I would just shrug and say revolver being a rifle for my area.  And it takes speed loaders.  If you did not know, 45colt and 454 casull fit in the cheap black plastic speedloaders just fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I fully understand that depending on permission slips or where someone lives the handgun vs. rifle definition is a big deal.
View Quote
I think most would agree in general that rifle<shotgun<pistol; however, as biere points out, there are more than just ballistics performance that impact the best decision.

Location is key and local regulations significantly impact decision.  Many places make it difficult to leave a rifle in your vehicle, but a handgun is fine.  Despite always keeping a CCW on me when legal, I still like the idea of a larger “pistol” platform with arm brace in the vehicle to offer better accuracy at distance, more firepower and if in a rifle cartridge, far better performance and similar distances than handgun cartridges.  

At one point, the pump shotgun was the best choice for me.  I worked on a secured installation that wasn’t too friendly to firearms in vehicle (let alone on person).  That particular shotgun was registered on the installation as they had a gun range and I was able to slightly bend the rules since my shotgun was a combo gun and I had done some trap shooting with it.  It would have been easier explaining the shotgun than an AR15 (or handgun) and if it was confiscated, it was an inexpensive Mossberg 500 combo set.  At that time, it was the perfect truck gun.

Can you keep a long gun in your vehicle?

Is your vehicle secure enough to mitigate the threat of theft?

Are you comfortable with leaving a more expensive rifle vice shotgun in your vehicle?

If you go with the less expensive shotgun, are you prepared to invest in training with it?

I now keep an AR or AK “pistol” in my truck.  I’m more comfortable with a rifle, but if traveling longer distances or to areas with possibly higher theft threats, I would likely opt for the shotgun.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#35]
When I think "truck gun" I think something that stays in the back 24/7, that I am not emotionally attached to in case of fire, theft, crash, etc..
I also think of something that will be likely used ONCE in self defense.  If I don't get it back from which ever agency is going to take it for lab testing, then I don't give a shit.  My "nice rifles" are out.   I have two long guns for such purpose.   $180 Smith 3000 shotgun, 18 inch LE trade in and a Marlin 35 Remington lever gun.  
Both are useful defensively for time enough for me to unass the area, and both are reliable, cheap to feed, and "non threatening in appearance" to the pubic, or some state trooper who investigates my crash should I have one.  
My fantasies of prolonged firefights and rapid mag changes, humping ammo for miles over hilly terrain and forted up behind my Toyota off I 75 have not come to fruition, so I keep it simple.  
My truck arsenal is a Colt 38 Official Police revolver along with one or both said long guns (I am not emotionally attached to it either).   I will have a carry gun on me anyway....so come at me bro...
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#38]
What do you want to shoot with it?  Shotguns are the most flexible in terms of ammo choices.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I normally carry a 870 when traveling, but......I've been wanting a KelTec Sub 2000 in S&W M&P9 for an under the seat gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I am probably going to stick with a stock Chicom sks with a few stripper clips full of ammo. Seems like it will be the best bet. However, a cheap shotgun is a pretty versatile weapon as well. So I guess I am still torn.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to carry a second hand 870 with 18.5 barrel but have replaced it with folding stock AK with a couple of mags.  I got into some shit years ago with a car full of idiots waving pistols and when they saw me step out with the AK, they disappeared fast.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I used to carry a second hand 870 with 18.5 barrel but have replaced it with folding stock AK with a couple of mags.  I got into some shit years ago with a car full of idiots waving pistols and when they saw me step out with the AK, they disappeared fast.
View Quote
Serious question, would a shotgun have had the same effect?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I keep a SKS and a bandoleer of stripper clips under my trucks back seat. That and my carry pistol with 3 mags on me. Should work.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Given that one important characteristic of a trunk gun is being cheap, that way it's cheap to replace if it gets stolen, I'd say shotgun. A Maverick 88 can be had for $150-$200. Even in these salad days, AR's don't really get cheaper than $450-$500.

Also, the sorts of situations in which you might really need your trunk gun are where you need to get out of dodge ASAP. You won't be grabbing your trunk gun on short notice to storm a terrorist compound. You'll be grabbing your trunk gun on short notice to respond to rioters to keep them away while you drive or run away.

So I think a 12ga Maverick 88 with a cheap sling, nylon side saddle, and maybe a cheap mounted flashlight is a perfect trunk gun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#45]
One issue I sort of have with a shotgun is slugs from a regular barrel are not really all that accurate and using shot gives you pellet spread.  Your method may vary and all that, for me a slug out of a regular barrel is not something I plan to use on a deer at 100 yards.

A lot of my concerns are covered by the shotgun vs ar for home defense stuff that gets discussed a ton.  Oldpainless has it on his site.

I somewhat figure with a cheap guncase one of the 300 dollar ar slickside kits might work, so should have assembled ar with sites and some mags for under 400 bucks.

I would have it in a guncase because the slickside ar kit lacks stuff like the little door to cover the bolt and what not.

I never bought a slickside kid but came really close pre-election just because dang is that a cheap way to get into an ar.

I like shotguns just fine.  At the same time, mine are pretty much for yard varmints due to being a moving target and I do like my shotguns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I usually just carry my CCW but a recent post of road blocking rioters showed at least one with an AR n him locking n loading.  He was wearing a plate carrier as well.
We'll see more of this as the rioters escalate things.
So I'm leaning towards the AR as a truck gun for extreme emergencies.  
If I can drive I'm leaving - not leaving my vehicle.   If that's immobilized and on foot, concealable is the way to go.  Once that option is blown, it's firepower that's needed.
The rifle can go from no use to full on as needed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#47]
AR+D60 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#48]
AR Pistol.  Legal to transport loaded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#49]
PSA AR pistol and just picked up a Remington Tac-14 that will accompany it.

So Both
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Depending on your state.  AR Pistol.  My trunk gun is currently a 10.5inch AR pistol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top