Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 5:52:54 PM EDT
Been wanting to get some snowshoes that are good for trails and backpacking and possible survival situation. which I hear would be 'rolling terrain' snowshoes. Does anyone have any recommendation which companies I should check out? I heard some even have lifetime warranties which will replace broken parts on the shoe. What should I be looking for in a snowshoe?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
MSR Lightning Ascents are what I use.  I've done some snowshoeing with groups where people using the Tubbs and other traditional style snowshoes had a lot of difficulty getting up and down hills without slipping.  The MSRs didn't slip.  The Ascents have a rail that flips up to support your heel on steep uphill climbs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI - MSR Lightning Ascents are great all-around snowshoes, IMO.  I really like the way the edges grip on crusty slopes.  Way better than the plastic decked MSRs I had before or the ancient Sherpa Snowclaws I had before that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies fella, I was concerned about the plastic MSR ones so I didn't bother with those but its good to see they have higher end more metal based ones. I also heard the MSR plastic ones make a fuckton of noise.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the replies fella, I was concerned about the plastic MSR ones so I didn't bother with those but its good to see they have higher end more metal based ones. I also heard the MSR plastic ones make a fuckton of noise.
View Quote
The plastic ones are fine, I used the Ascent version for years before I went to the aluminum ones.  They are only noisy on icy terrain.  They are a great choice if your budget doesn't allow the Lightning Ascents.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll take a pic of my garage sometime, swear I have half of REI in there, but I'll second (or third, or...) those MSRs.

I'm not really one to jock a brand if you know what I mean, I know every company is bound to put out a lemon every now and then, but I've yet to find MSRs lemon. I use their Dragonfly as my multi-fuel stove almost exclusively, of the dozen or so stoves I own it is the most reliable above timberline. I hump their 10L dromedary for days between water points, and use their pump water filter when I get there. I have yet to use one of their sleeping bags, may need pick one up at the next Garage Sale.

Not trying to derail, guessing if you're into snowshoeing you may be into winter camping. I sure am. Just got a Nemo Canon sleeping bag. Rated to -40, and it feels it, first bag I've ever gotten in and said "yeah, this is legit". Spent February 10th-12 snow camping up near Buena Vista, CO. Significant snowfall, I stayed dry and cozy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Snowshoes! One of my favorite topics, mention firearms, Jeeps, or snowshoes and my ears will prick right up LOL.

There are 2 main criteria for choosing snowshoes - your weight, and the type of terrain you'll be traveling. The type of snow is a minor 3rd criterion, mainly because most places get different types of snow throughout the year and because the snow on the ground changes as well.

As a general rule, the more you and your gear weigh the bigger the snowshoes you'll require. I'm a fatass who weighs around 310 all dressed and with my day pack, and I use 36" models for the most flotation. Currently I'm using Louis Garneau Blizzard II 1036, and have shamelessly linked a review I wrote for these on trailspace.com (I get nothing out of this besides perhaps reviewer reputation points.) In the past I've used Tubbs Wilderness and Tubbs Mountaineers, both also in 36" size. I like the Garneaus better than the Tubbs mainly because of the BOA binding Garneau uses (which Tubbs also uses on some models now.) The Blizzard IIs and Mountaineers are tube-framed backcountry snowshoes outstanding in looser snow because of their enormous surface area, but weaker on steeper pitches with more packed, icy snow because of their limited traction. Tube-framed snowshoes tend to have toe crampons and heel crampons and that's it.

Toe crampons

Heel crampons

Now those 7 big spades do dig deeply into hard, crusty snow, and the V-shaped heel crampon does a pretty good job of locking the rear of the snowshoe in place, but they can only do so much. Traverses are a weakness of any tube-framed snowshoe, and this is where the traction-frame snowshoe comes in.

I use 2 models of traction-frame snowshoes, both in 30" models: MSR Lightning Ascent and GV Snowshoes Mountain Extreme. Both of these use a bent & riveted piece of aluminum flat stock for their frames, with teeth cut into the bottom and toothed crossbars for extra traction. They both have toe crampons as well.

Traction frames, on MSRs (showing toe crampons, too.)

And GVs

GV toe crampons.

You can also see the toothed crossbars, 3 on the MSRs and 2 on the GVs. Looking at these it's not hard to see why this style of snowshoe is preferred for hard-packed, icy snow, steep ascents and descents, and especially traverses - anywhere the frames touch the ground, you have traction. On steep terrain one or two good stamps will firmly set the toe crampons and traction bars and let you lever yourself upward or provide reliable braking on descents. The 'shoes are narrower for their length than most tube-framed snowshoes, being 8" wide when 30" tube-frames are generally 9" wide. This makes them more maneuverable among the rocks often found in steep terrain, and also makes them easier to weave in and out of trees and brush. They obviously offer less flotation than my 36" tube-frames, but in all but the lightest, most fluffy powder I don't find that much of a problem as it also means I have less snowshoe to lift OUT of the snow. These 2 pairs of 30" traction-framed snowshoes are my go-to 'shoes probably 90% of the time.

Something that both rolling terrain and steep terrain snowshoes generally have is heel lifters. These are wire supports for your heels that you can raise when the going gets steep; they allow your feet to remain in a more level position when compared to the angle of the slope, they rotate the toes downward so the toe crampons are in a position to bite in more deeply, and they allow the heels to place more weight on the heel crampons or traction bars. If hills are in your future, I recommend buying models with heel lifters. Your calves will thank you.

My thoughts on plastic snowshoes - MSR Denali, Evo, and Revo, Louis Garneau Everest, Tubbs FLEX, etc. I have 3 pairs but have never used them, I bought them to use as loaners after my Tubbs Mountaineers came back bent due to someone bridging some kind of gap. Plastic snowshoes are as indestructible as a thing can be. They are noisy, CLACKing on every step on anything but soft powder. They're generally smaller than aluminum snowshoes, and are meant for severe service in severe terrain. I'm going to have to give my 27" Garneau Everests a try sometime, probably on my next outing that involves a steep hill without soft powder.

MSR Denali Evo Ascent, showing steel traction rails, aggressive toe crampons, and molded-in braking bars. You can also see how the bindings are pretty much overkill as far as security, which is common on backcountry snowshoes.

Something else the pic shows is an MSR exclusive - add-on flotation tails. These allow you to use a smaller snowshoe, and increase its surface area for softer snow or heavier loads. I have a set for my Lightning Ascents, and while they do work they also put you in a bit of a nose-down attitude on rolling terrain. I suspect that when climbing that's not the case, but I've never needed to try them out on an ascent.

Touring or day-hiking snowshoes are intended for less severe terrain, but still have many of the features of backcountry 'shoes. Heel lifters are very common, and bindings may not be bombproof like those on backcountry models but they're still very substantial. They are generally quicker to get in and out of. The Tubbs Wilderness and MSR Revo Explore are good examples of touring snowshoes.

The remaining type of snowshoe is trail-walking. These generally have limited traction, meant for groomed or heavily-used trails, and bindings that emphasize speed over security. Like the others, they come in aluminum and plastic models. The Tubbs Frontier, Atlas 10-series, and, for tweens & smaller teens, the MSR Shift. Don't let the "youth" category fool you, the MSR Shift is a beast of a snowshoe and really belongs in the "backcountry" category, built just as ruggedly as adult models like the Denali Evo Ascent. IMO the only drawback to the Shift is the lack of a heel lift, but I'm playing around with installing them on a pair.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a Cebela's near you keep an eye out for Spring snowshoe clearance.  They carry the Atlas models, or a house brand derivative thereof.  i know at our local Cabela's every spring they clearance out the winter gear with pretty good discounts.  Online may be a different gamble.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my old style military surplus snowshoes.

I am a big guy, so I need the extra size.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I personally like Northern Lites, specifically the Backcountry model.

Used them in Maine and in SWVA in Grayson Highlands and Mt Rogers and found them to work well even with very heavy packs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
One thing I would add is not to get distracted by the men's vs women's when it comes to MSR snowshoes.  If the weight rating you want is a women's snowshoe, get that.  The men's shoes are wider, and novice snowshoers can find they trip a lot.  The women's shoes are narrower.  When I bought mine (they used to have an awesome .mil discount) the weight rating for me and my pack for the type of snow we have put a women's model closest, so that's what I got.  That they came in white (the men's didn't) was bonus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top