Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like I'm late to the game.  I never had a Kifaru, but between Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock, the Eberlestock is waaaaaaay more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of large packs.  Most of them are milsurp.  All of them are decent and sellable.  I've been thinking about selling all of them off to partially defray the cost of a top-tier pack.

I want a very large pack that is easily transformed into a medium pack, depending on need.  Kifaru seems to offer such in the EMR II, but I am entirely open to other alternatives.  Quality of construction is a serious concern, as is a wide selection of color/camo patterns.

Pack suspension might be problematic.  I'm 6'3" with a long torso.  38" waist.  Again, Kifaru seems to offer the most suspension alternatives.

Compatibility with MOLLE/PALS is a must.

Opinions?  I am wide open to suggestions of top-quality items.  Not married to any particular mfr.
View Quote

I love my EMR, but be warned-you are going to fill it up and end up with an 80lb pack. It's great if you want to pack the same as you normally would but need a little more room for food without having to sacrifice room for extra cold weather clothing, but I consider my EMR to be more of an "I'll be back in a while" bag than a "bug out bag".

Having that separated lower compartment is nice because it allows you to set up camp in the rain without pulling half your shit out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, What I decided to do is buy this: London Bridge 8-Pocket Pack.   The included ALICE frame can be replaced with a DownEast USMC/Airborne frame which is intended to be a direct replacement for the ALICE frame, and is both lighter, stronger, and hard-armor compatible.  I have one of these on my Lg ALICE Hellcat pack.

The pack body is approximately the size of a Large ALICE pack and it has six exterior pockets that each approximate the size of the three, large exterior pockets on the ALICE.  IOW, twice the external pocket capacity.  The detachable lid of the pack can be used as a very small capacity day pack, and will accept a MOLLE Claymore/Utility pouch (on-hand).  The PALS webbing on the sides of the pack will accept up to four MOLLE Sustainment pouches. or other pouches.  The top of the pack has multiple zippers, so quick access to stuff inside the top of the pack body is do-able.  The interior of the pack has the expected radio pouch, so rigging an internal water bladder is easy to do.    The bottom of the pack can be adapted to accept a MOLLE I Modular sleep system carrier in winter, or a MOLLE waist pack in warmer seasons.  The shoulder straps seem to be more than adequately made, and anchored, but they lack load-lifter straps.  The OEM waist belt might be a weak point, and I will aggressively address this possible issue if necessary.  There is a horizontal, internal divider inside the pack which, when laced-up, creates a sleeping bag compartment in the lower portion of the pack.  The lower portion of the pack is accessible via its' own zipper.

While the pack has two vertical and four side compression straps, I might add some additional Mystery Ranch compression straps to manage the overall pack body as well as the various pockets.  At $5 a pop, they are certainly affordable.

In sum, the pack is extremely configurable, well-made, has a lifetime warranty, and I believe it will suit my needs when modified with items on-hand, and the store-bought compression straps.  I don't think it will be Perfect, but chasing perfection, and expecting to find it is a fool's goal, IMHO.  It's satisfying to at least get close, I think.

In the event that the OEM belt or shoulder straps need to be replaced with a better equivalents, intended for heavy load-carrying, I'd be obliged for suggestions on such waist belts and shoulder straps which are easily adaptable to the ALICE platform.  Such items ought to transfer to the DE frame all right.  The DownEast DE Padset seems rather decent, is guaranteed to fit the intended DE MC/AB plastic frame, and is available in multicam.  I plan on contacting them to see if it can be had without the frame, which I already have.

Your comments are most welcome.       
View Quote
That thing looks big enough to haul enough crap to hurt yourself.

Post some pics of it with something in the pockets.  I have a LB assault pack that I really like. I think that thing is going to be as effective as you can make the suspension system. I have my doubts about the stock belt/shoulders but I suppose there are other options (maybe a MOLLE belt?). The MOLLE2 system is far from perfect, but for whatever reason the belt fits me just right when it's in "heavy as hell" mode.

I personally hate the US modular sleep system (heavy as hell, plus i have no interest in arctic conditions). I had one, gave it to my father in law for his hunting camp. Should have kept the bivy (but I have others anyway). I have used the sleep system carrier for other stuff though. My portable hotel room fits perfectly, as does a lighter bag/tarp bundle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Eberlestock halftrack and really love it. Using lightweight gear I can pack for a week, more if I use external pouches. The one and only complaints I have with it is when the middle/main pocket is filled up it kind of squeezes into the outside attached pockets, that and a slight lack of organizing space. For this reason I will be purchasing a Eberlestock FAC Track pack. A bit more organizing storage space and the option to add side pockets as I see fit, depending on the length or purpose of the trip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Raf, any update to your LBT ruck mod?

I picked one up and sent it back for a replacement because the one I received had one of the outer pockets completely ripped and another that held something very hot and the nylon had melted and stiffened...I contacted USRO and they stated that definitely wasn't normal for their usual "wear" definition. For $250, I expected better. :) On the bright side, they handled the issue quickly once I called them up and my replacement should be landing within the next few days.

Definitely looking at swapping out the ALICE frame once it gets here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Raf, you seriously need to compile all your posts into an encyclopedia somewhere...love when you reason out these observations and thought processes.

I received my replacement pack from USRO and it's in like-new condition as well. Very pleased with their customer service and they definitely won brownie points in my book. I highly recommend calling them if you have any problems over using their online contact-form.

It's a shame that the DE frame isn't a direct drop-in, but Option 3 does seem like the best cost-effective option. Do please keep us updated if you decide to go this route.

My reasoning is that if I decide to spend more money on this pack beyond Option 3, I might as well spend an extra $100 or two and get the Mystery Ranch NICE frame for it. Not only is it a vastly superior suspension, but the NICE frame also lets me mount ANY Mystery Ranch packs to it as well, increasing its versatility and return-of-investment factor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The NICE frame is, well, nice, but I have reservations about the price.  I have yet to find anywhere on the MR site where the frame is shown in detail, let alone offered for sale as a separate item.  It appears that adapting the ALICE pack (and almost certainly the LBT pack) to the NICE frame requires the additional expense of the MR "Straps and Flaps" kit in order to strap the ALICE (and the LBT) onto the NICE frame. Google "NICE Frame" and an image of a LG ALICE appears, so-attached.  I can be up and running with an armor-compatible DEI 1606 frame (modified) and a MOLLE waist belt, for about 1/2 the Nice frame + Straps and Flaps kit price.  However, YMMV.  Keep in mind that your surplus ALICE frame+ ALICE cargo shelf +at least two sturdy wraparound straps + a pair of rather inexpensive ENHANCED ALICE LC2 shoulder straps is an excellent load-hauler by itself.  For cheap.

Looking at googled images of the NICE frame, I have some doubts as to whether or not it is compatible with a Plate carrier with hard plates installed.  I know for certain that the DEI 1606 frame is GTG in that respect.  As I have decided to use the DEI frame, for partially that reason, I haven't made inquiries to MR about the NICE frames' suitability with respect to body armor.  I suggest that if this a concern, or could be a concern in the future, you might inquire before making a decision.  Being armor-compatible is something to consider for the future, as you mentioned possible re-sale value.
View Quote
Raf,

It's interseting that the NICE frame is no longer available on the site...I could've sworn it was there before. If not, I'm sure you can call and purchase it direct. IIRC, it was around $300. You can usually find them on Ebay for around $200. The NICE frame also has the BVS system, which is basically two foam attachments that are designed to stabilize the load with armor. I read somewhere that the NICE frame was originally designed to fit a military requirement of adapting it to ALICE packs, then MR used it to be the basis of all their packs. From looking around the RokSlide forums, and other spots on the net, the NICE system isn't as comfortable as, say, the Kifaru Duplex for heavy loads. Seems like there's always folks jumping from MR to Kifaru, but you almost never hear of anyone going the other way.

It's an expensive investment, that's for sure. But if you ever plan on purchasing any of Mystery Ranch's larger packs, then that NICE frame is a good investment where you'll only have to shell out ~$200 for a bag without the frame.

But I do really like your idea on the DEI frame. Would love to see how you mod it out!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a eberlestock x3 lowdrag. It stays in my patrol car and it functions as a ghb/sar/shtf bag, it's a great bag and the rifle scabbard is innovative but I don't care for it as much as I thought I would, if the bag is packed tight and the compression straps are tight it's tough to get a rifle out, I've also found that the rifle can make your pack like a saw horse.  Not a huge deal in the lowdrag when it's packed light but it's a pain in their bigger packs. I have had an eberlestock terminator and warhammer. The warhammer is a great design and it's very adaptable. The terminator in my opinion was too big to use with the scabbard so I got rid of it. I also have a mystery ranch asap, way smaller than the topic line here but I can attest to their quality. Absolutely excellent but now they have started making some stuff overseas so I don't know if the quality is the same.

All that being said I have decided to upgrade to Kifaru for my hunting/camping/shtf needs and it will replace the terminator and what I had used the warhammer for.

I'm going to get a 26" frame and a 22 mag to start off and will get the timberline 2 after that for longer outings. I really like the idea of being able to have one frame that you can have pouches on the belt for essentials that stay the same and being able to swap the pack out for different seasons and/or uses.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread delivers!

Just spent the coin on an Eberlestock G4 Operator, and am looking forward to getting out in the field with it soon. The thing I've noticed about it is that you have to really think about how and where your gear goes in it to make the most of the available space, but it really does have a lot of room if you pack carefully. I'm basically packing for excursions of three to ten days in hot weather, so the sleeping bag, which would normally dominate the load bay, is reduced to just the rolled-up bivvy bag and maybe my woobie alongside. The rest of the pack is devoted to tent, sleeping pad, dry socks, t-shirts, basic toiletry kit, wipes, weapon cleaning kit, backpacking food/MREs, and a few other items.

Giving serious thought to trying out a Warhammer at some point. I like the versatility of that design, as well as the huge side storage pouches.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I hope you like the LBT pack. I have one of their 3 day assault packs that goes on sale every so often and it's extremely well made. I also have an Eberlestock Battleship. It's pretty fucking awesome if you need/want a large rucksack. You can carry everything you need internally. If you don't want one quite as big the Destroyer is a bit smaller but the same design. My only complaints are that the the shoulder harness is a bit of a pain to adjust, the lid is not removable, and it could use a little more organization on the inside. It's bombproof though and also has excellent construction despite being made in Vietnam(?).
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#17]
F5
F5
F5
Sigh...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I "revise and extend" my comments as-needed, and as I think of things I might have left out.  I prefer to think of it as "added content" as well as corrections.

Sorry if my doing so annoys you.  Not my intention.
View Quote
Who, me?

I'm not annoyed, I just want to see pics...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh.  Well, had a death in the family recently, and so lots to do since then.  I'll post some pix when I have some time,  Shouldn't be too long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who, me?

I'm not annoyed, I just want to see pics...
Oh.  Well, had a death in the family recently, and so lots to do since then.  I'll post some pix when I have some time,  Shouldn't be too long.
I hear ya. I've been to two funerals in the last two weeks.  On the plus side, taking my older son fishing this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with the Eberlestock Skycrane II mainly for all of the carry options it offers.  I can even carry by Kelty 3500 on it if I need extra stowage.  Several of my friends bought one after they looked mine over.  You could carry a five gallon water can on it and hump all day (well when I was much younger).  Kifaru is another great line.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Patient? Me?

The devil, you say...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top