Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 11:54:11 PM EDT
I'd like to have the option to open it in the front/or no sleeves to carry a rifle inside and still be able to use it.  General outdoors use.

It just needs to be waterproof, that's it.  The cheaper the better, but i can spend for quality.  Any reccomendations?

Eta looking at this, seems simple, reviews claim it fits with a pack like it should

Amazon
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't really care for ponchos.  I like their ability to make a shelter, but I already carry a rain fly/tarp.  A rain jacket (and pants if cold weather) is my preference along with a pack liner (trash compactor bag) and rain cover...even if I take a spill in a river, my gear will be dry.  This allows me my full range of motion.  This also means that if it's raining hard, I'm likely not on the trail and would prefer to take shelter and wait it out.  Doing anything in a regular poncho other than just squatting simply sucks.  If you do any high exertion activities, you're going to get soaked from sweat and condensation as they just don't breath.  With that said, the best poncho I've actually used when hiking, hunting and some work around the house is the Snugpak Patrol Poncho.  It's not as versatile as a regular poncho, but works well for what you're looking for.  

You don't want your rifle under your poncho. It is more likely to get caught up trying to deploy it.  Modern rifles are waterproof and won't melt, they just need concerted maintenance when you get a chance; you want to carry your rifle at the ready (whether hunting or patrolling).

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top