Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2017 10:20:03 PM EDT
Wondering about carrying a large pepper spray or possibly pepper spray "grenades" or foggers with all this unrest around.  
Anyone considering these as options to clear vehicle path?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really a good option for your intended use for numerous reasons.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wondering about carrying a large pepper spray or possibly pepper spray "grenades" or foggers with all this unrest around.  
View Quote

Not if you need to be driving. Don't over think it. Smoke grenades might be better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever been level 1'd with pepper spray?  You wouldn't need a large can of anything to get away from most people.

Top Cop is hot.  Really, really hot.  I used it last week with great success on someone who was trying to do terrible things to me, it worked quickly and took the fight out of him and the rest of the unit.  

You don't want to spray it from inside your vehicle if you use it.  Either get out or crack the window just enough for your hand and spray to stick out and start dusting.  You will always get a small amount of blowback on your fingers, which will transfer to everywhere, really quick if you don't decontaminate immediately.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just get some bear spray? I've got a couple cans of UDAP super magnum in the safe that we used in Montana a couple years ago. That stuff should put someone down and it's got some distance on the spray.. Or so they claim I did not have to use it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just get some bear spray? I've got a couple cans of UDAP super magnum in the safe that we used in Montana a couple years ago. That stuff should put someone down and it's got some distance on the spray.. Or so they claim I did not have to use it.
View Quote

You have to be careful, a lot of the animal shit will get you in trouble as it is clearly delineated on the can "Not for use of humans".  

While extremists of any kind are difficult to stomach, they are still humans.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about clearing a path for your vehicle but I have some Fox Labs items.

Maybe if your vehicle got boxed in by disabled vehicles or vehicles being used by the agitators and you got swarmed you could use it, I don't know...I don't think they're best used from a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
There are all kinds of levels of stuff and sizes of stuff.

I had a can of .2 % and in playing on amazon you can find 3.5 % so there is a wide range of stuff.

If you are able to legally carry a firearm I would personally hesitate, a whole lot, if I was thinking about messing with something rated less than lethal.

If I can't carry a firearm, but I can carry and use mace or pepper spray or whatever other name the stuff gets called, I would do so but as the person above said you want to use some on yourself.  So you know how it affects you.

I can understand the vehicle being blocked by other vehicles and thinking I need to spray someone to get them away, but I just hesitate.

If the vehicle is not blocked, I am making my vehicle move.  Sorry if someone gets run over, me thinking I need to deploy anything outside the vehicle means I am expecting my windows to be broken in and me dragged out and hurt badly.

I don't mind tools in the tool box.  I would examine laws and really really really think about things.

It is one thing for an officer to have to explain why they chose to use lethal force over something else.

I do not wish to be trying to explain why I felt mace was a poor choice and shot someone who had busted in my vehicle window.  Or was chasing me with a crowd of other folks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You have to be careful, a lot of the animal shit will get you in trouble as it is clearly delineated on the can "Not for use of humans".  

View Quote

Flammable but less OC in it......And might be an eye injury hazard. Not too dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]
You might consider some wasp/hornet spray.. It cost far less, shoots a stream 5-6 feet and would burn like hell in the eyes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are all kinds of levels of stuff and sizes of stuff.

I had a can of .2 % and in playing on amazon you can find 3.5 % so there is a wide range of stuff.

If you are able to legally carry a firearm I would personally hesitate, a whole lot, if I was thinking about messing with something rated less than lethal.

If I can't carry a firearm, but I can carry and use mace or pepper spray or whatever other name the stuff gets called, I would do so but as the person above said you want to use some on yourself.  So you know how it affects you.

I can understand the vehicle being blocked by other vehicles and thinking I need to spray someone to get them away, but I just hesitate.

If the vehicle is not blocked, I am making my vehicle move.  Sorry if someone gets run over, me thinking I need to deploy anything outside the vehicle means I am expecting my windows to be broken in and me dragged out and hurt badly.

I don't mind tools in the tool box.  I would examine laws and really really really think about things.

It is one thing for an officer to have to explain why they chose to use lethal force over something else.

I do not wish to be trying to explain why I felt mace was a poor choice and shot someone who had busted in my vehicle window.  Or was chasing me with a crowd of other folks.
View Quote

Excellent point Sir +1

Having to explain how you moved through the use of force continuum might be more difficult with a less than lethal option available.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
There's some majorly bad advice in this thread so far. OP, I don't think pepper spray will be a good solution for what you're trying to do. If you think spraying someone will allow you to drive to safety, chances are good you can just drive and they'll move or be run over. Using pepper spray has to have an end game, which I think you'd struggle to find as a civilian in a car. Someone bangs on your window, you spray them, then what? Wait for the mob to throw a brick through your window? Why didn't you drive away instead of spraying them?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Alone in a car? Handling all the tasks will get difficult and you'll likely get rushed when your window is down.
With another guy in the car, the driver could focus on driving.

If someone knocks your window out, spray away to make space around the broken window and drive on.

This stuff ends with the driver getting screwed in today's climate, unless there's some deadly force coming at you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, if you let off a spray bomb that affected me and my son all cause you got antsy with snowflakes around I would imagine I wouldnt be the only one beating a path to you with more then harsh words on my mind. If your that fu*king paranoid that you plan to spray and affect bystanders then Please stay the fu%k home before you hurt someone and get yourself killed in the process.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting side note, the FDA approves pepper spray for use on humans(all things actually, if they go IN or ON the body, clothes, food, drugs, ect) Bear spray ISNT for use on humans and thus isn't covered by the FDA(hence the warning).

"Well Bill since you are the new intern you get to help with product testing... first off cheesecake... Second pepper spray...."

"Danmit we need a new intern..."
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, if you let off a spray bomb that affected me and my son all cause you got antsy with snowflakes around I would imagine I wouldnt be the only one beating a path to you with more then harsh words on my mind. If your that fu*king paranoid that you plan to spray and affect bystanders then Please stay the fu%k home before you hurt someone and get yourself killed in the process.
View Quote

Lighten up man.  I'm just thinking it thru.

If your that obnoxious and looking for trouble by bringing your kids into it, perhaps you should rethink your activity and the consequences.   This is supposed to be a place to bounce ideas off each other and hopefully learn.
Take your crap to the GD forum.

That said, I can see the reasoning behind all your (most of) your posts.   I can drive right thru it.   My best plan is to be nowhere near it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD is the forum you seek.

It's plain to see what the post is about....rioters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dosent say rioters here. Sounds pretty clear about his willingness to do harm to anyone around thats not doing harm.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dosent say rioters here. Sounds pretty clear about his willingness to do harm to anyone around thats not doing harm.
View Quote

I do think this is important.  As frustrating and disruptive as protesters can be, as long as your property and life are not at risk, it's just something you need to deal with (or better yet, avoid).  With that said, having your vehicle surrounded by violent protesters and rioters is a whole different story.  As soon as the bricks and bats start damaging your vehicle, it's life-threatening.  I would still try to adhere to an escalation protocol and having less-than-lethal options would go long way to your defense if the escalation resulted in lethal force in the defense of your life.  

The problem is avoidance in the first place. If your employment is in an area involved with violent protests, you're best hunkering down and battening down the hatches.  If you're in you vehicle your standard TTPs should be situational awareness, receiving any and all intel and avoiding any potentially volatile situations.  Getting stuck downtown in the middle of a potentially violent mob with your vehicle is just piss poor planning and awareness.  Now with that said, I've been to a few professional sporting events where I get extremely concerned about the herd-mentality if something was to go bonkers.  I still have a life to live and enjoy so those events are not without risk and force you to plan exit routes and contingencies.  Today's rioters are not flash-mobs or spontaneous situations; they're planned, coordinated and funded professional agitators.  This gives you plenty of time to assess, mitigate risk or just cancel your plans.  Always be prepared, but better yet, due your prudent planning up front.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I do think this is important.  As frustrating and disruptive as protesters can be, as long as your property and life are not at risk, it's just something you need to deal with (or better yet, avoid).  With that said, having your vehicle surrounded by violent protesters and rioters is a whole different story.  As soon as the bricks and bats start damaging your vehicle, it's life-threatening.  I would still try to adhere to an escalation protocol and having less-than-lethal options would go long way to your defense if the escalation resulted in lethal force in the defense of your life.  

The problem is avoidance in the first place. If your employment is in an area involved with violent protests, you're best hunkering down and battening down the hatches.  If you're in you vehicle your standard TTPs should be situational awareness, receiving any and all intel and avoiding any potentially volatile situations.  Getting stuck downtown in the middle of a potentially violent mob with your vehicle is just piss poor planning and awareness.  Now with that said, I've been to a few professional sporting events where I get extremely concerned about the herd-mentality if something was to go bonkers.  I still have a life to live and enjoy so those events are not without risk and force you to plan exit routes and contingencies.  Today's rioters are not flash-mobs or spontaneous situations; they're planned, coordinated and funded professional agitators.  This gives you plenty of time to assess, mitigate risk or just cancel your plans.  Always be prepared, but better yet, due your prudent planning up front.

ROCK6
View Quote

Well said.  Situational awareness.  

I do carry a small can of pepper spray in my EDC/GHB so I can have it with me at work in the case of an emergency.  Regulations prohibit me from CCW while in uniform, so having a can of spray in my bag next to me is about the best I can do.  Even worst case scenario backup with the appropriate tools are never very far away.

As regular Joe Civilian I would never carry pepper spray on my person along with a firearm.  Tucked away in the GHB is one thing, but if you ever had to deploy deadly physical force, well I will leave the rest up to the imagination.

With that said I would never try to deploy spray on more then one or two people and that would have to be a serious, real, self defense situation.  I plan to avoid any serious situation as best as possible but its nice to have options.  Large group? walk or drive the other way.  Ditching your car if necessary because its not worth subjecting yourself to injury or possibly worse.  I have insurance on the Jeep so it will be sacrificed well before my safety.

Pepper spray for me is something I carry in Lieu of CCW, though not really by choice.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be ready for the next wymans rally
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#22]
No plans at all to use or employ it while away from home. The stuff is as likely to cross-contaminate YOU as it is anyone else, and I would imagine that trying to drive with your eyes sealed shut from OC wouldn't be very fun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just go away dude.  Troll in some other waters

I think this has been taken the wrong way by some hot headed comments.  I thank those that gave decent well thought out responses.

Mods can lock this down if they want.  Enough of this.

ETA:  I truly do appreciate the legit comments meant as instructional info.  That's what I'm looking for.  Much appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top