Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 9:35:55 PM EDT
I've seen some of these come up in my Facebook feed lately. I love the leather crafting. Who's got good leather gear? Show it off.

I know some of these might not be "complete survival kits," but they would still be great "killing time in the woods" kits.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few supplies and can make a few things here and there, but unless you have a machine its very time consuming.

I am no leather worker that's for sure, but I can craft an axe mask, knife sheath, or maybe a small pouch.  I don't mind a random small project but I don't find it interesting enough to try to make massive amounts of anything or work on a project bigger then what I have already done.  Even with axe mask and sheaths I usually look at the cost of something basic and if I can get it for not much $$ I will probably go that route.  Most of my stuff, axes, knifes, etc are working tools so I don't really care about the sheath looking pretty.  I like to have nice stuff but much of bushcraft has turned into a fashion statement which I am not interested in.  I have no problem mixing modern, old, surplus etc.  With that said there are some guys & gals that make stuff so nice I would consider them an artist.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. Good stuff.

I'd like to try my hand at working with leather, but I have no idea where to start, or where to get patterns (if that's what I'm supposed to do). I don't need my own stuff to be pretty. I'll settle for functional, and "doesn't look totally like a bag of smashed assholes."
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Beautiful work. How long does it take to make one of those?
Love to have one of those for my M&P
View Quote

Thanks.  Time to make something just depends on the project.  I got to where I could knock a molded holster out in a couple of days.  (Cut, glue, clean up edges, lay out stitch lines, drill stitch holes, hand stitch, wet, partially dry, mold & bone, dry, dye, burnish/seal edges, dry, finish, dry... Doesn't literally take two days of working on the holster since much of that time is spent waiting for it to dry.)  

A knife sheath like what I've pictured can be done in a day or so, depending on how long I spend drawing up a pattern.  That top one is dyed and then heated & treated with Sno-Seal which is a mix of bee's wax and other stuff.  

I haven't made a ton of stuff, and I'm far from an expert.  I do find that I generally get a little better with each project.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Bulldawg that top sheath is awesome! All of your stuff looks very nice
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bulldawg that top sheath is awesome! All of your stuff looks very nice
View Quote

Thanks.  That one and the leather one I made for the $10 Mora are my favorite pieces.  They actually get used on occasion, especially the top one (for the Fallkniven F1).  I've made a few gun holsters, but I never use any of them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top