Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 8:47:08 PM EDT
Saw a thread on these about 2 weeks ago . For something to carry along with you in the truck or car wouldn't it be cheaper and more reliable to just take along a small gel car battery and a good set of cables ? A gel battery that has the built in carry strap .
Just seems like reading the reviews that those portable jumper boxes are hit or miss on quality control .
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The one I got for Christmas this year has impressed the hell out of me.

It's 1/6 the size of a gel battery and can recharge phones, tablets and many other items too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the newer ones are the size of a pmag.

I'm going this route:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the Red Fuel/Schumacher models at WalMart on a lark for $49.95.  It's about twice the size (thickness) as the large iPhone.  While stuck in Reno one weekend my car developed an odd battery issue.  Long story short, the little portable jump battery that I thought was likely junk but that I might get a good use or two out of, started my car 7 times over that weekend as I fiddled with the issue.  It had 64% of its charge after that.

I bought 1 for every one of my family members for Christmas.

It's funny, the first time you look at the slightly oversized cell phone body and a pair of jump cables you (at least I did) immediately think "There's absolutely no way this little thing is going to turn a motor at all much less fast enough to get spark".  And then it does so with ease.

I can see a lot of scenarios where this thing could save one's bacon.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one I got for Christmas this year has impressed the hell out of me.

It's 1/6 the size of a gel battery and can recharge phones, tablets and many other items too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought one of the Red Fuel/Schumacher models at WalMart on a lark for $49.95.  It's about twice the size (thickness) as the large iPhone.  While stuck in Reno one weekend my car developed an odd battery issue.  Long story short, the little portable jump battery that I thought was likely junk but that I might get a good use or two out of, started my car 7 times over that weekend as I fiddled with the issue.  It had 64% of its charge after that.

I bought 1 for every one of my family members for Christmas.

It's funny, the first time you look at the slightly oversized cell phone body and a pair of jump cables you (at least I did) immediately think "There's absolutely no way this little thing is going to turn a motor at all much less fast enough to get spark".  And then it does so with ease.

I can see a lot of scenarios where this thing could save one's bacon.
View Quote

I'm not sure of what you're talking about . Just what is it ?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of what you're talking about . Just what is it ?
View Quote

i believe he's talking about something like this
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a family friend that owns a towing company and he gets the ones at Harbor Frieght and gets an extended warranty on them, as they die out, the are replaced. If it's good enough for him, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of the newer ones are the size of a pmag.

I'm going this route:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187224/IMG-4621-132531.JPG
View Quote

I actually have one that looks like a Pmag. Works great.

Just got this one today for another vehicle. It also works great.
Amazon Product
  • [POWERFUL & COMPACT] : Jump start your vehicle (up to 5.5L(T)gas or 4.0L(T) diesel engine or Motorcycle ,oil boat and sleigh, ect) up to 30 times with 600 amps of peak current and heavy duty clamps and cables.Car Jump Starter has an incredibly large 14,000 mAh capacity battery, which means you can crank up any size of passenger car. Compact enough to store in your glovebox.
  • [QUICK CHARGE] : With 14000mAh Capacity and our adaptive smart IQC charging technology, charge phones, tablets,camera ,kindle and other devices at speeds of up to 2.1 amps (10W)port overall. Recharges in just 5.5 hours using the included wall or car charger,But we charge 110% faster,save your 50% time.
  • [6 IN 1 MULTI-FUNCTION]: (Emergency jump start, USB quick charge,LED flashlight, S.O.S lighting signal for help, compass,power extend ). it can help you In any case when you are adventure, outdoor, daily, emergency, high and low temperature(-25°c to 60°c),etc.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
And that little thing will jump start a car ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Back to the original question, "what's better about these over a spare car battery" is the safety features.

I have a Northern Tool one (one of the blue ones) with a few extra gizmos that are sort of useful for camping (USB power output, DC12v output for car accessories, light, and a weak ass air pump, inverter) but for jumping a vehicle it has a switch.  So, fumble around with getting it hooked up with cables not live, look for indicator light for proper hook up, flip the switch, then start.  MUCH safer than messing with live terminals and cables.

For a guy, that might not make a difference, but my half-coordinated GF can also use it safely.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back to the original question, "what's better about these over a spare car battery" is the safety features.

I have a Northern Tool one (one of the blue ones) with a few extra gizmos that are sort of useful for camping (USB power output, DC12v output for car accessories, light, and a weak ass air pump, inverter) but for jumping a vehicle it has a switch.  So, fumble around with getting it hooked up with cables not live, look for indicator light for proper hook up, flip the switch, then start.  MUCH safer than messing with live terminals and cables.

For a guy, that might not make a difference, but my half-coordinated GF can also use it safely.
View Quote

And it's highly portable if you need to stick one in your pocket and go jump another vehicle, you can. Try that with a spare car battery.
I'd get one even if I did have a spare car battery, always good to have back ups for your back ups.
This is why I bought one for my mom.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get with the program, guy. Things change. And we're not using rotary dial princess phones anymore, either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Best brand I have seen is the NOCO. I sell them and have handled and done demos with several kinds and brands that I sell. NOCO is the best I have seen. 

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best brand I have seen is the NOCO. I sell them and have handled and done demos with several kinds and brands that I sell. NOCO is the best I have seen. 

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Power all brand after 13-14 the LED light would come on strobe and no way to turn it off. I bought 2 walmart/Shumacker brand for $49 for both vehicles. When I am in a building with weak cell signal my Note 3 runs down quick, I stick the battery pack in my pocket and use the 2.1A USB to charge my phone. Works well since mid December. And 1/3-1/4 the price of Noco stuff, which is awesome.

I still have a 25'-30' pair of good jumper cables to be sure if ever needed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get with the program, guy. Things change. And we're not using rotary dial princess phones anymore, either.
View Quote

I didn't know this was GD .
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#16]
the one I had years ago sucked. the time I needed it the charge had drained enough from sitting that it didn't work. It hadn't sat that long from being charged either. I could have understood if it had sat in the back of the suv for a year but it was less than a month as I would check the charge indicator from time to time and recharge it. It showed that it had a charge but would not start the car. regular jump off someone elses running car worked fine and after my car ran a while my batter was able to start it on its own

if these new tiny ones actually work well I might give one a try, I know battery tech has gotten better. I don't currently have jumper cables in the miata due to space constraints so a small pack would be nice to have as I could probably put it in the compartment with the jack
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I think these are made with banks of 18650's or similar. We have been reporting on the 18650 for years in SF with much success. It would be a logical extension for someone to bank them into a high current box. So, good for us, although it's not that cutting edge to be dangerous anymore.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't know this was GD .
View Quote
Sorry for being humorous. My apologies to you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, they will jump start a car. They'll jump start a diesel truck too with the right model. They're handy little things!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry for being humorous. My apologies to you.
View Quote

We be cool .
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, they will jump start a car. They'll jump start a diesel truck too with the right model. They're handy little things!
View Quote
I have a 600A-14,000MaH one that started a 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD. With a completely dead battery.
Jumped my Toyota Tacoma, ATV, Tractor and several friends, family, and strangers' vehicles.
They work, even in cold weather.
I had an big, old, lead/acid Stanley jump starter, damn thing would die or not put out enough juice if it was below freezing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I gave my girlfriend my lead acid jump box when she bought a new car. For christmas she gave me one of these. I was able to start my Tacoma multiple times with it even with the battery disconnected and the unit put into bypass mode.

Amazon Product
  • Compact, yet powerful lithium jump starter rated at 1,000 amps (7,000 joules3s) - up to 20 jump starts on a single charge
  • An ultra-safe and mistake-proof design with spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection, which allow it to safely connect to any battery
  • An ultra-bright 100 lumen LED flashlight with 7 light modes, including SOS and emergency strobe

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Any concerns leaving these in a car during the summer months?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#24]
The Noco Genius units are everything they say they are.

I have jumped a few V8's with mine between charges, and never dropped below 75%. Leaving them in the car in the Phoenix heat has never presented an issue, I just make sure to put a maintenance charge on it every few months (still never seen it below 75%)

I have two of them now, and while skeptical to start, I'm a believer now...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#25]
which one of these jump boxes is going to be the "best bang for the buck"?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Saw a thread on these about 2 weeks ago . For something to carry along with you in the truck or car wouldn't it be cheaper and more reliable to just take along a small gel car battery and a good set of cables ? A gel battery that has the built in carry strap .
Just seems like reading the reviews that those portable jumper boxes are hit or miss on quality control .
View Quote

The lithium ion batteries have a very low self discharge rate. Your gel battery likely wouldn't have juice when you need it unless you keep on top of it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The lithium ion batteries have a very low self discharge rate. Your gel battery likely wouldn't have juice when you need it unless you keep on top of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, a gel battery is going to be $100+, cables another $40+... The decent jump starters are ~$100 and very small. You can get the largest jump starter offered for about $300, and its still smaller than a bell battery.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says who?

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm hoping to pick up one of these in the next couple months.

Amazon Product
  • Compact, yet powerful lithium jump starter rated at 4,000 Amps (22,500 Joules3S) with spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection - up to 80 jump starts on a single charge
  • Enjoy portable 12-volt power from anywhere for tire pumps, inverters, lights and more; plus rapid recharging in just over 3 hours
  • An ultra-bright 500 lumen LED flashlight with 7 light modes, including SOS and Emergency Strobe

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to pick up one of these in the next couple months.www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKSSB8
View Quote

That thing is insanely over priced.   You can get a good jump starter for $60 and a 500 lumen flashlight for $25.  There is no reason to pay that much.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That thing is insanely over priced.   You can get a good jump starter for $60 and a 500 lumen flashlight for $25.  There is no reason to pay that much.
View Quote

Not that size, you cant.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#32]
How long can these things sit in the trunk of a vehicle before they lose their charge? I'm asking because I've got kids that could use these but won't bother enough with them to put it on a charger periodically.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How long can these things sit in the trunk of a vehicle before they lose their charge? I'm asking because I've got kids that could use these but won't bother enough with them to put it on a charger periodically.
View Quote

It would still be usable after a year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to pick up one of these in the next couple months.www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKSSB8
View Quote

What in gods name are you starting that needs 3000 amps?
Mine is 600A peak current and it starts a stone cold dead full sized Chevy van better than an new battery!
Mine was around $70.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I have this and it's a beast.

I have jumped about ten cars so far.  Never charged it after the initial charge and checked it the other day and it was still full.  It sits in my cold ass trunk in my cruiser.

Well worth the price for it too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's suggested that you charge at least every 3 months whether you use it or not to maintain the lithium ion battery.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Newegg has NOCOs on sale right now
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have jumped about ten cars so far.  Never charged it after the initial charge and checked it the other day and it was still full.  It sits in my cold ass trunk in my cruiser.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169716/xp-10-micro-start-power-supply-pps-151153.JPG
View Quote

Have this one as well but haven't used it yet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#40]
I can buy a jumper that charges my wife's phone, laptop, ipad, and can jump a car for $70.

Or I can buy a battery that weighs 5 times as much and only does one thing.  And it'll cost me 1.5 times as much.

It's a no brainer IMO.  Read reviews and buy a good do all.

We've got several aND they all work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
You jumping mining equipment? 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nipple stimulation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169716/xp-10-micro-start-power-supply-pps-151153.JPG
View Quote

Above is a picture of an Antigravity XP-10.  My neighbor has one, and it says it is charged but it only outputs 11.1V.  He emailed them, and they said that was normal for all of the Li-ion jump starters.  Can anyone confirm if that's true or if his is broken?  At that voltage, it will never charge a battery to help with starting if the box doesn't put out enough current on its own.  It wasn't powerful enough to start my Toyota this morning, and at 11.1V it wasn't charging the battery at all.  It wouldn't even turn over the engine, but it was about 35 degrees and it hadn't been started in a couple of months so that's a pretty hard test.z
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Sometimes you can find the Suaki T10 on Amazon under $40!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#45]
We have a Halo Bolt 58830 we keep in the house.  It will power at TV, radio, or charge several devices at once.  It's also capable of jumping a car 4 times before it needs charging.

We keep ProLift packs in the cars.  They're a little smaller/lighter and less expensive, but they do the trick.

the wife used hers over the weekend to help a kid at the theatre jump his truck off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump for more info.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#48]
This interests me.

SF might be the most useful forum on ar15.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
That little thing will jump an F250 full sized truck. My neighbor across the street has an old F250 with about 400k miles on it and refuses to part with it. If it caught on fire and burnt up, he would probably still try to drive it. He is always starting it with one of those little jump starters. Bamashooter the Mod also posted about the one he bought. Send him a PM to this thread and have him chime in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top