Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2017 11:18:08 AM EDT
A few months back I bought some ETS and Magpul Glock 19 mags to test out and use for practice.   The idea was that I can get these for less than factory mags, use them as practice mags and save my factory mags for actual carry.  I also wanted to evaluate the ETS and Magpul mags to see if I would ever consider rotating them into actual carry use.

I bought 2 ETS Glock 19 Mags and 2 Magpul Glock 19 mags.

So far, I have about 100 rounds through each magazine, primarily steel cased Wolf 115 grain.

The Magpul mags have had zero malfunctions so far.

The ETS mags have had numerous failures.  The issue seems to be that the steel cases are not "slick" enough and they get "wedged" against the side of the mag.  This usually happens after firing the first 5 rounds or so.  Once it gets stuck, obviously it won't feed.  This has happened with both mags multiple times.   I realize that 2 mags is a small sample size, but based on what I have seen, I would not recommend the ETS mags.  

The Magpul seem fine, but I will continue to use factory Glock mags for my carry.  Once I have put a few hundred more rounds through the Magpul mags, I might consider using them for carry.

TL:DR

ETS mags failed consistently with steel cased ammo.  Magpul mags have been fine so far.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had to have my ETS mags replaced 'cause they wouldn't drop free from any of my Gloves or my AR9 lower.  Then had to get replacement springs  to replace the warped ones in the replacement mags.

I've had zero issues with Magpul Glock 19 and 17 pmags, waiting anxiously for the 27 round mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had issues with my ETS mags as well.  To their credit they have always taken care of me.  Had both the won't drop free issue and the spring issue.  I have some ETS 30 rounders that have been solid though.  ETS mags are good for range work but I wouldn't carry them.

Magpul mags have been good to go.  I wouldn't have an issue carrying them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to the OP for posting this.  I also have a few Magpul mags for my G17.  So far, no issues.  Glad I steered away from the ETS brand.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got four of the ETS 33rd mags.  One binds like the OP's and doesn't feed properly.  The other three have worked ok so far.  All were shot through my G19.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a half dozen 33rd ETS mags with zero issues, but it the springs do look like they would bind.  I would definitely contact ETS as they really do try hard to address issues with their magazines.  I wouldn't be surprised if the steel case ammo is the issue, but even that doesn't sound right.  The polymer is as "slick" as Glock mags and even more "slick" than Magpul mags.  It's nice to have other options, but for those options to be serious contenders, they really need to be as reliable as OEM magazines...otherwise they're just inexpensive range mags.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not suggesting this to make the mags carry worthy. But it could improve the performance as range mags.

There is a product in the sailing industry used as a dry lubricant film. Sailkote, this stuff works wonders in situations like this. It comes out cold, so use several light coats on plastic so it doesn't crack from thermal shock. also the film has a milky white haze.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

amazon
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Update:  As suggested by others, I contacted ETS and they are sending me new springs for the two mags.  

Once they arrive, I will replace them and see if I have the same issue.  

Either way, that is pretty good customer service, they didn't even ask for pictures, just an address confirmation
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple 22 round 9mm ETS mags. I have used them in both practice and USPSA. Initially They were tough to get the last round in, but now they are G2G. By all means not a long term eval, but in roughly 8 months and 500-700 rounds of training, and USPSA, I have not had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 5 o the 21 round ETS mags, 3 of them have given me problems from the start. 2work great.

The do have excellent CS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the ammo wedging issue as well as ammo moving like it's moving though syrup though every ETS and magpul GLOCK magazine I've had.  Seemed to only happen to me in high humidity environments.  At least that's the only common factor I can find as it happens with steel case, brass cased both reloads and factory.  ETS replaced them all and I continued to have the same issues in high humidity.  They say that shouldn't be affecting the magazine but I don't know what else is causing it at this point as high humidity is the only common factory in my magazine issues.

Doesn't matter at this point as I've given away or sold all my Magpul and ETS magazines and just went back to OEM.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had issues with my ETS mags as well.  To their credit they have always taken care of me.  Had both the won't drop free issue and the spring issue.  I have some ETS 30 rounders that have been solid though.  ETS mags are good for range work but I wouldn't carry them.

Magpul mags have been good to go.  I wouldn't have an issue carrying them.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat.  No issues with Magpul, but numerous problems with ETS.  Even the replacements they sent will not stack carry ammo correctly.  I've tried all weights too.

They do take care of you but what happens with the replacements exhibit the same issue.  I like ETS for AR mags.  They do have a problem with rounds popping out but they load and feed great.  I dropped 2 mags from my safe onto carpet and lost 3 rounds out of one and 4 out of the other.

I won't be buying anymore.  I really had high hopes for them, but there are too many other good options.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't use ETS. Like others, too many issues...I don't care about good CS.  The product.has veen out long enough to trouble shoot and improve.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
It's unfortunate some of you guys aren't having good luck with ETS mags.  My son and I ran about 500 rounds of crappy, steel cased ammo, most loaded in about a dozen magazines for the past few months, shot through my ATI 9mm "pistol".  He has the videos on his phone of both of us ripping through a 30 round magazine as fast as we could pull the trigger...not a single hiccup or issue.  I was impressed with the ATI, but even more so with the ETS mags running the cheaper ammo.  

This is the third big test with these mags, and I haven't had an issue in my ATI or any Glocks.  I would probably still run OEM for serious training and carry, but so far zero issues with my ETS mags.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's unfortunate some of you guys aren't having good luck with ETS mags.  My son and I ran about 500 rounds of crappy, steel cased ammo, most loaded in about a dozen magazines for the past few months, shot through my ATI 9mm "pistol".  He has the videos on his phone of both of us ripping through a 30 round magazine as fast as we could pull the trigger...not a single hiccup or issue.  I was impressed with the ATI, but even more so with the ETS mags running the cheaper ammo.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/20170526_085009_zpsg6uifdgf.jpg

This is the third big test with these mags, and I haven't had an issue in my ATI or any Glocks.  I would probably still run OEM for serious training and carry, but so far zero issues with my ETS mags.

ROCK6
View Quote
My 30 round mag is the only one I have that I can completely load everytime.  When loaded they all function fine.  It's just about 75% of the time you can't get them to stack right and load to capacity.  The ETS replacement does the same thing with brass, nickel, and steel cases.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My 30 round mag is the only one I have that I can completely load everytime.  When loaded they all function fine.  It's just about 75% of the time you can't get them to stack right and load to capacity.  The ETS replacement does the same thing with brass, nickel, and steel cases.
View Quote
That's odd.  I have had the typical false load where the top round is loose; a sharp slap on the bottom fully seats and I'm able to continue loading.  Once seated and loaded, I haven't had any issues.  I was explaining the issues some were having with these ETS magazines to my son, and of course he said it was operator error and probably a limp wrist  I really would put the blame on good QA/QC; an out of spec spring, molding irregularity or something similar.  I know the reliability has been the concern of many, but I can say that the polymer used is extremely tough having survived a number of drops on concrete surfaces (not on purpose).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a 14 page thread in the Glock section that would be worth looking at for more input from shooters. I have been using the 22rd mags for months without problem save for one follower chipping and trying to escape the confines of the mag. ETS sent me a new follower the next day free of charge. Even came with an ETS sticker. Before you give up on them look at the other thread and you'll see they're very responsive to any issues and making mags that Glock isn't. They're even making higher capacity mags for the 42 and 43 now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 10 Magpul glock 19 mags, 10 Magpul 17 mags and 5 ets 19 mags. I have a little over a thousand rounds through them some suppressed and some not and haven't had any issues yet. All the ammo was brass case though. Plan to pick up some ets g43 mags soon as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got 4 of the ETS g19, and 2 of 22rd mags. The 22rd mags had feeding issues for the first couple mags worth. But I broke all the mags down, cleaned them, and game them a squirt of dry lube.  The G19 mags have been flawless and 2 of them are in my truck right now and another is in my g19.

My 1 magpul g19 mag has been flawless. I however do not like that it has such a thick baseplate on it. I prefer slimer models like factory or ets for carry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#20]
No problems with 31rnd ETS mags on my end. I only shoot steel or aluminum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top