Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2016 12:31:12 PM EDT
I've got another post in here about Alice pack mods, but I finally had a chance to load up my Alice pack and take a short stroll today.   I didn't go too far but the pack felt comfortable.  Just wanted the Alice pack guru's to have a look at how mine fit to see if it looks set up correctly.

" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
looks a bit high and like you need more weight in it 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a minty used medium ALICE pack 4+ years ago with the upgraded straps (IIRC) and it works well for my limited needs.  Yours seems to be sticking out at the bottom a bit more than my pack does (moderately loaded) when it's on my back.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using the Molle II shoulder straps and kidney belt.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP seems to be using a MOLLE waist belt as an ALICE belly band.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for your reply.  In all my research on this topic I read that the Alice pack was designed to ride high and that the kidney belt was to be higher than a typical backpacking pack due to its design to accommodate all the other alice components.  Isn't this pack supposed to sit high so that an "individual equipment belt" could be used with the packs waist belt riding above it?alice pack wiki

Quoted:
Yes, that's apparent from the photos.  You might consider using the MOLLE waist belt as it was intended to be used--as a waist belt, instead of a belly band.  that way, it will take some of the weight of the pack, instead of all of it being on your shoulders.  To do so, I suggest raising the MOLLE shoulder strap assembly as high as practicable on the frame, and adjusting the shoulder straps accordingly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.downeastinc.com/Products.php/?Link=1606AC

Get one of these for an ALICE pack. It completely transforms the fit of it to your back. It is fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get one of these for an ALICE pack. It completely transforms the fit of it to your back. It is fantastic.
View Quote
Thanks for that link. Looks interesting. Will get one ordered.

Linkage to their store which wasn't obvious to get to.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks too clean.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you go with the Down East frame? Please let me know if you like it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
what is your go-to pack then, raf?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Many years ago my nephew, then in the Marines, got me a large Alice pack and frame.

I was excited, loaded it up with about 20 pounds of stuff and hit the streets around where I lived to do a shake out hike.  Felt good the first mile.  Second mile, adjusted the pack to change up the weight distribution.  Third mile, the frame was putting uncomfortable pressure on my mid / lower back.  So I kept alternating the top of the pack, first tight to my body, next tilted back off my body.  Fourth mile, starting to get really uncomfortable.  Fifth mile, I developed an intense admiration for any branch of service that could do 20 mile marches with this torture device.  Pressure points and rubs annoying the hell outta me.  

Mentioned this to my Marine nephew and asked what I was doing wrong?  He laughed and said the way they humped with the pack was to throw it on the accompanying transport and retrieve it when they took breaks.

Learned a valuable lesson.  

But, it does make a pretty good pack when set up as a "hellcat" with the plastic Down East contoured frame and molle straps and waist belt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If someone handed me a GI-framed, Medium ALICE pack, and said "raf, pack it up, and we're heading out." I would figure that either they hated me, or did not know what they were doing, gear-wise.  Maybe both.  If they handed me a Large ALICE, GI-framed pack, I'd know they were nuts.

View Quote

Back when we were issued mediums, most of us went out and bought surplus larges.
My old ALICE large still lives in the garage as a repository of miscellaneous junk that hasn't made it to the trash can.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Back when we were issued mediums, most of us went out and bought surplus larges.
My old ALICE large still lives in the garage as a repository of miscellaneous junk that hasn't made it to the trash can.
View Quote

Same here, bought a large for Air Assault school so that I could pack it fast and not get smoked as much as the guys that brought mediums.  Never used the waist belt back then, train of thought was you couldn't drop the ruck fast enough under contact.  Nowadays I love my puss pad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Same here, bought a large for Air Assault school so that I could pack it fast and not get smoked as much as the guys that brought mediums.  Never used the waist belt back then, train of thought was you couldn't drop the ruck fast enough under contact.  Nowadays I love my puss pad.
View Quote

Yeah I recall in basic they made us tape the waist belt right to the frame to make it un-useable.
Kind of set younger guys up for failure because I don't recall many guys using the waist belt once they were at their units.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's 4+ lbs for the frame . Plus pack.
So on a medium tour looking at roughly est ,8 lbs of empty pack. For a sub 3k cu ruck.
That is HEAVY.
Now price.140+ ship. Then cost of pack 0-50$ .
So let's be nice a say 175$ total.
That puts the user into decent pack budget range for the same size.

Trust me. Raf and others know I've preached Alice for years (mostly joking) but that was 10 years ago...there is much better options out there.

But.

If I wanted a bullet proof ruck..to use on patrols in my immediate area..I'd grab my medium Alice.
Only mods is a old hip pad is mounted at the cross member to keep it from rubbing on my upper back.
Would it be super comfortable....

Not one bit. But it will get the job done.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used:

CIF Issued MOLLE II
Med ALICE
Unit Issued Mystery Ranch SATL
Unit Issued Mystery Ranch Tactiplane 7500
"Procured" Tac Tailor MALICE

ALL professional use of the ALICE was purely basic/OSUT. Absolutely hated it, nothing else to say about it.
The issued MOLLE II is a convenient place to stash things for storage, or extra luggage on trips downrange. If set up correctly (the key word), actually not bad at all. Not the handiest thing in the world for accessing your stuff, but carries OK. PITA to rig for jumping though, prefer to stash the MOLLE II inside the Eagle Industries parachutist bag for jumps.
Both Mystery Ranch bags..... definitely GTG! Still a pain to rig for jumps, but not as bad as the MOLLE II. Accessibility is great due to the way the compartments are set up and zippered. They're a bit on the heavy side empty, but can make up for it in comfort. 45lbs in the 7500 feels like 25lbs in the MOLLE II. The adjustment method is pretty easy and stays put once adjusted, and the BVS system actually works well for comfort and ventilation.
The MALICE has been to as many countries as the SATL and I have been. Disclaimer is that I do have the DEI 1606 frame in it, with MOLLE II waist belt and shoulder straps.

Long story short, I am now on transition leave. The 2 Mystery Ranch rucks somehow "fell off" my OCIE list and didnt get turned in. They will stay with me forever, and continue to be used a minimum of once a week. The MALICE will be used when I need more space than the SATL, but dont want to lug the 7500 around. Either of these 3 are a great go-to ruck for 99% of people, just with a big difference in price tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Cleaner is spot on with his assessment.  I have a couple old medium ALICE packs and an HSGI-modified Large ALICE.  They are really just good truck bags right now, although HSGI's modified Large ALICE has a vastly better suspension system than the standard.  The biggest issue is you really need to go to an REI or competent outfitter and get fitted for a pack; you really need to know what "right" feels like.  Just about all modern packs offer adjustment and it's a significant aspect of carrying a load.  

Ironically, my son just did Infantry Basic this past summer and as typical, the DI's scolded the trainees who tried to use their waist belt.  My son is a pretty avid backpacker and knows the purpose and proper fit of a pack's suspension and waist belt, so he just had to suck it up.  Things haven't changed in the almost 30 years of my service

I don't know the OP's purpose for the medium ALICE.  They're well-built which is about their only redeeming quality and fine for short treks or as a truck bag, but I wouldn't do any long hikes or built a bug-out bag with one.  I'm not saying you have to go out and get a $700-800 Kifaru pack, but there are some great used bags on Ebay, several Mystery Ranch packs that are built extremely well and with a solid frame/suspension system.  A well-design pack frame/suspension makes a significant difference when you start hauling heavy loads.  Seriously, even with my modified Large ALICE suspension, 60-70 pounds sucks; however, my Kifaru will carry a 100 pound load more comfortably.  You can't hide the weight, but you can make it more comfortable to carry.  I've done dozen of literal 10K "ruck runs" with the old medium ALICE and not wearing the waist belt...those sucked.  As already mentioned, the waist belt was designed to ride higher to allow the integration of the LBE harness and gear; this is often why the pack's waist belts were never used.  From your pictures, it looks "right" for the design, but in reality, you really want that waist belt about six-inches lower and riding just on your hips.

I can honestly and fortunately say I never used the MOLLE and MOLLE II rucks I was issued.  I routinely used my Kifaru Zulu for road marches and I actually enjoyed them

First, get professionally fitted for a pack (it's free); this is worth the time and effort alone.  Second, figure out what your gear load and weight is; the intent is to get a pack that will both handle the capacity and weight.  Lastly, figure out what packs are available within your budget.  You'll get far more feedback if you identify those last two.  What you don't want to do is spend over $500 for a pack designed as a bug-out bag and never gets used.  I give more credit to the budget restrained guy/gal who actually uses the crappy ALICE pack vice the guy who posts pictures of the $1000 pack and gear set that looks brand new.  If you're willing to invest the time and effort into using quality gear and pack, then invest in a quality pack.  

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top