Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2012 5:34:40 PM EDT
Im looking for a cord that has a usb connector on one end and a 12v female cigarette lighter adapter at the other
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is but i think you will have to get USB to USB and then get the female Cig adpt that has a USB female
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think there is but i think you will have to get USB to USB and then get the female Cig adpt that has a USB female

^^^THIS...USB is typically 5v...
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Im looking for a cord that has a usb connector on one end and a 12v female cigarette lighter adapter at the other

no, because USB is only 5v. now, if you mean a 12v cig adapter(male) to USB, sure there are plenty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys......the link posted above is not what i am looking for.......i was looking for usb connector at one end say to be pluged into a laptop and at the other end of the cord for there to be a female cigarette lighter adapter
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
That would put 5 Volts onto a connector that is designed to provide 12 Volts. It would put an undesired strain on the 5 volt leg of your laptop with bad results if you put a 12 volt load on it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That would put 5 Volts onto a connector that is designed to provide 12 Volts. It would put an undesired strain on the 5 volt leg of your laptop with bad results if you put a 12 volt load on it.

it wouldnt because the 12v product wouldnt even try to turn on so it wouldnt work. you could build something like that if all you wanted to do was power something that was 5v and have less than .5mAh draw.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Got ya thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Well,

Anything is possible.

Let's start by me asking what you want to do.

If you want to run a 12v item of your USB port it is doable depending on the watts needed and lost wattage in your transformer to switch from 5-12v

So tell us what you want.

I've built many items to convert voltage...especially for airplanes 24-12v is a common issue on birds...

B
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
There charger for an older Blackberry is exactly that (or maybe to mini USB, Don't remember).

The new blackerries (and I think now all phones but Iphones) use the micro USB.  

You can get an adapter most electronic place (like Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc) that goes from the old to new smaller size (I have one for my AA phone charger) and they are availble the other way also (micro to USB)

ETA:  Female?  I doubt it
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks guys......the link posted above is not what i am looking for.......i was looking for usb connector at one end say to be pluged into a laptop and at the other end of the cord for there to be a female cigarette lighter adapter

Oh, that sounds like the opposite of the posted link.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes. USB can supply 5V @ 500mA, and there is a protection circuit on the port to guarantee it. Some USB wall adapters supply more, because iPhones and such want more if they can get it. But do not count on your laptop supplying more than 500mA. It is not hard to make a 5->12V boost converter, but you will not be able to supply much power, 2.5W max, so less than 200mA on 12V. So, it is not just a cable, there will be some parts inside.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I am still scratching my head trying to figure out what you would need a cigarette lighter for your laptop...not many things that run off the lighter outlet that could be reasonably ran by a USB. Please tell us what you are attempting to power with this and it may get you better answers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am still scratching my head trying to figure out what you would need a cigarette lighter for your laptop...not many things that run off the lighter outlet that could be reasonably ran by a USB. Please tell us what you are attempting to power with this and it may get you better answers.

+1

I run a bunch of stuff off my cigarette lighter power (some spliced in, or hooked up to the alternate adaptor, some right into the lighter) what are you trying to run exactly?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top