Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2012 5:59:20 AM EDT
I am a coleman man.

That said, over the weekend I found what I think is a deal on a BriteLyt 500CP

Paid 60.00 USD

Appears to have been only lightly used. Cleaned up really nice.
No dents.
Came with the original instruction manual, spare parts, all accessories and 5 mantles.
No case.

I am intrigued regarding the different fuels the website says will work in it (basically anything that will burn or a combination thereof......

Anyone else use these?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one . The best. I use anything that pours, and it will burn it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got several.  They're great and they put off a TON of light.

You will want the shade and the bicycle pump adapter.

Also go to the website and watch the how to videos so you know how to fire the beast.  There's a method to the madness.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got several.  They're great and they put off a TON of light.

You will want the shade and the bicycle pump adapter.

Also go to the website and watch the how to videos so you know how to fire the beast.  There's a method to the madness.

I have aready started to watch those, and I am planning to get the top shade, a reflector and a case.

Bicycle pump adapter?   I am not a "girly man".

Although, I gotta say, Colemans appear easier to operate.

I watched a video of that rapid pre-heater for kerosene and well,
the word "scary" comes to mind.

It was advertsed on craigslist as a kerosene lantern and I have been wanting a kerosene lantern, so......
It was not till later I read on their site that it burns pretty much any flammable liquid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]

This aint your momma's Coleman lantern

You gotta get enough pressure in that can to run the preheater for 45-60 sec and then some.....

Fire that baby up a few times and then tell me that the bicycle pump adapter is only for girlymen
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This aint your momma's Coleman lantern

You gotta get enough pressure in that can to run the preheater for 45-60 sec and then some.....

Fire that baby up a few times and then tell me that the bicycle pump adapter is only for girlymen

Seems like instead of using that flamethrower pre-heater, you could just use the alcohol cup to preheat?
or am I mistaken?

Although the flamethrower seems more exciting.........

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to light it both ways.

Just fire it up then we'll talk girlymen stuff- just sayin

I've personally BTDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I finally got a chance to fire up the petromax this morning.

Tank was already filled with kerosene, I have no idea how old the fuel is.
I am working out of a hotel room at present and I do not really want to go buy any fuel.

It took 100 pumps to get the pressure up to the red line. - as reference I usually pump my military coleman lanterns 45-50pumps.
New mantle in place, the quick start "flamethrower" worked well:

After 60sec of flamethrower, turn it off and turn on the fuel to the mantle, fired right up:

Had to pump an additional 25 times.
After about a minute, the mantle seasoned and worked fine:

This is my first kerosene (multi-fuel) lantern and I can say it works extremely well. You know those Germans......  

and it's a damn nice looking lantern.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the girlyman comment, but for the amount of use this thing will get,
I think I can handle pumping it.

I am not THAT old........... yet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Screw pumping.
Get the bike pump adapter then get yourself a Co2 cartridge bike tire inflater. You will use up a cartridge each time you use the lantern but it is well worth it. I also keep the bike pump handy in case I run low on cartridges.
Make sure you read the instructions on how to adjust the lantern. I spent over an hour trying to light mine once. Then I broke down and read the instructions, made the adjustments and if fired right up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Screw pumping.
Get the bike pump adapter then get yourself a Co2 cartridge bike tire inflater. You will use up a cartridge each time you use the lantern but it is well worth it. I also keep the bike pump handy in case I run low on cartridges.
Make sure you read the instructions on how to adjust the lantern. I spent over an hour trying to light mine once. Then I broke down and read the instructions, made the adjustments and if fired right up.

I kinda figured first time I tried to light a used lantern of a type I have never owned....  

reading the instructions a few times and checking to make sure all the seals/parts were there before putting a flame to it was a good idea.

Primary usage still falls to my Colemans:

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top