Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
So I do have a question now I've I'm doing a test run...... Is it normal for there to be an odor close to the heater when on?  I haven't dealt with propane heaters before and I'm assuming since it's not 100% efficient that there will be some odor, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Also the instructions has a bullet in all caps that says "LP-GAS CYLINDERS MUST BE DISCONNECTED FROM HEATER WHEN NOT IN USE!", so this means every time I turn it off I'm supposed to remove the propane tanks?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it normal for there to be an odor close to the heater when on?

You'll occasionally notice an odor for a while after lighting the burner. Typically, it gets a lot less noticeable after the burner has been running for a while.

The only other time you might notice a strong odor is when a tank is almost empty. The "odorant" they use in propane has a tendency to settle to the bottom of the tank, and more of it gets drawn into the heater when the tank is nearly empty.

Also the instructions has a bullet in all caps that says "LP-GAS CYLINDERS MUST BE DISCONNECTED FROM HEATER WHEN NOT IN USE!", so this means every time I turn it off I'm supposed to remove the propane tanks?

If you're using 1 pound disposable propane cylinders, it's a good idea to remove the cylinder when the heater isn't in use. The connection between the cylinder and heater is at full pressure, and doesn't always make a perfect seal.

If you're using an extension hose to a large propane tank instead, you can turn off the valve on the tank and let the heater burn until all the propane in the hose is consumed. The next time you open the valve, be sure to do a "smell test" for leaks on the hose and fittings before lighting the burner.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome thanks for the info, kinda sucks to have to remove the cylinders every time.... but then again when I use it, it will actual run for a bit and not that often.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a couple from Menards too (a portable and a big).  Tested both and now I have two disposable cylinders with slowly leaking valves.  They're about 2 years old and were unused prior to the heater test.  Menards and both nearby hardware stores were out of caps so I had to leave the bottles attached to the heater until an order of caps comes in.

I don't know if that is a common problem (I know refilled disposable bottles are prone to it) but just an FYI.

The heaters both worked fine; I ran them for 15 minutes each.  No undue smell except for some initial 'hot plastic' that cleared up quickly.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes, you can fix a "leaker" by re-connecting the cylinder to the device. If the disconnect valve seal in the cylinder didn't seat properly the first time the cylinder was disconnected, it might the next time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sometimes, you can fix a "leaker" by re-connecting the cylinder to the device. If the disconnect valve seal in the cylinder didn't seat properly the first time the cylinder was disconnected, it might the next time.

Worth a try, thanks.  I've also got one bottle attached to a torch that flat out won't seal so it stays on the torch.  That one has been removed repeatedly but always leaks (but its also ~ 20 years old)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top