Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RSIFireRescue:
Last Poster, not disagreeing with you on the quick clot and TK, a lot of the discussion posed has been related to direct medical protocols for medical professionals.

In a situation such as yours, that is absolutely correct though.

Ah gotcha! I only had time I read the first page while at work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By roguetrader:
Great post!!!!!

Only one complaint- Gloves should be non-latex

It's just as easy to get medical grade Nitral gloves and save the risk of finding the one person with an allergy

This. My wife has a severe anaphylactic type allergy to latex, it will kill her.

Also, to the OP, not sure if you've looked at QuikClot lately, it's not what it used to be, it's just gauze impregnated with kaolin now, whatever they had in it before that actually did cauterization and caused heat, is no longer what they are putting out.

We make our own with powdered kaolin and gauze, keep some in rolls and 4x4 gauze sponges for basic bleeding, it really does stop the bleeding like double-quick, next line of defense up from that is the Israeli dressing, last resort is a CAT.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know a good shear holder ? I dont want the one for ricky resq that holds everything

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen guys with leather ones that reside in the back of the belt but I don't know where they get them and have not ever asked. I will try to remember to next time I see it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nvgeologist] [#5]

Fantastic thread. I took the liberty of making a list on amazon with the majority of the items from the thread, with the goal of putting together a light weight but comprehensive FAK.

If you get a chance, please take a look at let me know if I need to add anything or if I've lead anyone astray here. My medical experience is pretty limited to training only. I've been first aid trained for about 12 years, and had a Wilderness class in there about 10 years ago. Current on FA and CPR through Red Cross.

Things I didn't include, on purpose, for either duplication or lack of training:

Light source

Intubation

Suture kits

Quick Clot

Tourniquet

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:30:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lafmedic1] [#6]
Awesome. BTW Sam Splints has a new adhesive bandage that should be hitting the market soon

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Great list.
Thank you.

I am a contractor for the Navy and I keep a kit that I take on travel with me.  It is basically a glorified snivel kit full of generic brand, poop & tummy meds, pain meds, decongestants, eye drops, clove oil, chap stick, steptic pencil, super glue, band aids, 3x anti-bacterial ointment, hand sanitizer, Monkey Butt powder, tape, 4x4s and some vet wrap.  I keep this in a molle bag that looks a lot like a shaving kit.  When I go away with the Wife or camping, I just throw this in my bag.
As far as most of my bulk supplies, my wife brings me alot of stuff from work, she is a Licensed Vet Tech.  When stuff expires, she brings it home, mostly bandaging stuff.  I also get vet wrap from her.  I learned 1000 uses for cravats when I was an EMT (Va Beach Vol Rescue) so I make those from un-bleached muslin.  Buy some material and cut it into 36" squares, then cut it corner to corner into big triangles.  Roll them and throw them into your bag.  
In my EDC bag, I keep a S.O.E tear away kit (it goes on my stuff at gun places) it has a tournaguet and shears on the out side, the strap is held on with a loop of stretch string, the shears slip into the molle loops.  inside is H gauze, trauma dressing, space blanket, combat guaze (Quik-Clot) and gloves.  I have other bags with more of the same augmented with more bandaging and splinting stuff in the house, truck, range bag....  
Thanks again.  M2C, it is all in the training.  In EMT Basic we learned to do alot with just basic stuff.  Some of these dressings are super-cool, they have an eye cup / direct pressure bar, H-Gauze, tournequet all built in.  The time to have to figure it out is NOT when it is needed.  If you buy something, buy two.  One to keep and one to practice with.  The big dressings I have (Blast dressings) sell practice versions for like 3 bucks.  Same bandage just not vacuum sealed or sterilized.
(my spelling sucks today)

Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
Fantastic thread. I took the liberty of making a list on amazon with the majority of the items from the thread, with the goal of putting together a light weight but comprehensive FAK.

If you get a chance, please take a look at let me know if I need to add anything or if I've lead anyone astray here. My medical experience is pretty limited to training only. I've been first aid trained for about 12 years, and had a Wilderness class in there about 10 years ago. Current on FA and CPR through Red Cross.

Things I didn't include, on purpose, for either duplication or lack of training:

Light source

Intubation

Suture kits

Quick Clot

Tourniquet

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta tag this for all the good info.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Still here guys. Just not a team member anymore. Thanks for the bump RAF
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome thread, putting together a kit now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 2:35:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#12]
3m steri-strips been mentioned?  They've saved me from sutures on a few occasions.  Cheap and take up very little space.  Also, tegaderm?  I had a few opsites in my first aid kit left from clinical/nurse lab on a BCWA trip.  Got a nasty cut on my ankle over my Achilles in the water.  High motion/tension area that was going to get wet.  I cleaned and slapped one of those over it and it kept it closed and clean for 3 days, and I could look at the wound without redressing.  Handy item.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone ever used Corona cream? I've used it on my dogs several times and it seems to work great. Wanted to know what the knowledgeable folks thought about it.

And no, it's not made from the beer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm bumping these for reference.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Just wanted to thank lafmedic1 for starting this great thread.

I just finished reading all 9 pages and didn't see anyone ask about this part:

Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
I will suggest that there are many ways to get free training and expierience. Local Volunteer Fire departments are a Great way.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Been trying to find some low-cost training but it's like pulling teeth around here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sircam671] [#17]
Originally Posted By Trommie:
Just wanted to thank lafmedic1 for starting this great thread.

I just finished reading all 9 pages and didn't see anyone ask about this part:

I will suggest that there are many ways to get free training and expierience. Local Volunteer Fire departments are a Great way.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Been trying to find some low-cost training but it's like pulling teeth around here.

It depends on exactly what kind of training you're looking for, but I think "many" may have just been bad word choice.  There are many volunteer Fire and EMS agencies, and they often have their own educators and training programs.  Some may require you to sign a contract to agree to volunteer for a certain amount of time (2 years, perhaps) if you take the training, and to pay a fee if you break the contract.  Many will train you at least to First Responder or EMT-B without a contract, though.

FEMA offers free training that may apply as college credits, depending on your college:  http://training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.aspx

Civilian Emergency Response Team, along the same line:  http://www.citizencorps.gov/cc/searchCert.do?submitByZip
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for those links, Sircam. I've never heard of the Civilian Emergency Response Team. It sounds interesting and I'll have to look further into it. If they don't work out, I'll probably just take the first aid/cpr class from the American Red Cross. Around here, it's that or the local community college's EMT-B course. But at roughly $1500, I'm all ears when I hear the words "free training"..lol. The class with the Red Cross is only a few hours, but it's a start.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
This thing has grown . Very good to see all the info
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
It looks like thimerisol free contact lens cleaning solution can work in a pinch.

Thimerisol free is available at Walgreens and many other places.  Once it's opened, it needs to be considered contaminated and the clock is ticking on it's usefulness. They do have some preservatives in them that should help keep bacterial growth down.

Since I use some of the solution in my household already, I'll be getting a couple travel bottles to use as one-time wound wash use and rotating them instead of the gargantuan bottle working on now. (Two fixes with the same item.)

For longer term (a bigger wound) I have a Datkin's solution instruction sheet.  Making a wound wash is not all that hard, but not always something I want to be doing while trying to patch myself up.

Answered my own question. Thanks for inspiring me to go look for it.

I've been wondering about contact lens saline for a while now. The rockstarpiercing page is a tad confusing. First they recommend it under "What Makes Sense". Then they go on to list it under "What Does Not Make Sense" if it's packaged in plastic squeeze bottles. The majority of solutions come packaged that way. As a lens wearer, I've never used anything not in a plastic bottle. So the most common and price effective saline solutions aren't recommended?

At any rate, they recommended wound wash saline in a metal can, as it "doesn’t ever get contaminated". This would make more sense for a fak, as it's sturdier and remains sterile. I looked at a can of it at Wallys this morning.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NeilMed-Wound-Wash-Saline-Spray-6-fl-oz/23821918

On the actual can, it said something about being for single patient use only. Does this mean it doesn't remain sterile? At $3.xx, it's not terribly expensive. But it would be nice if wasn't a throwaway product. I didn't examine the can enough to notice, but the web description says "Do not use in body orifices, ear canals, eyes or mouth". So even if it does remain sterile, it may just be better to carry those small bottles of lens solution in case eye irrigation is needed.

Anyone ever use the the NeilMed wash? Or even have any thoughts one way or another?
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone try Oral IV. What is this stuff Gatorade ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#22]

I'm not real familiar with it but it markets itself in the 'sports drink' type market.  i don't like that it's zero calories, this tells me they're leaving out some important parts of rehydration in the name of glucose.  gatorade, as most of us know, over does it with the sugar and carbs, but some of it is necessary, hence the reason you hear about cutting 50% with water but then you're losing necessary sodium and potassium.  Pedialyte is an ideal mixture of electrolytes in the proper concentrations to do what your body needs when it's truly dehydrated.

So... I say stick with tried and true Pedialyte.  That stuff works, again and again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#23]

If you mean oral hydration salts, the Army issue packs contain the following:

sodium chloride  3.5g

potassium chloride  1.5g

trisodium citrate, dihydrate 2.9g

glucose anhydrous 20.0 g

Yes, it's basically powdered gatorade with some extra healthy stuff thrown in. Tastes like shit but it will work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#24]
SAM splint has a competitor called STAT splint, fraction of the cost and includes a roll of coflex inside it.

Also for tourniquets loom at the SWAT-T, I'm going to be ordering some soon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Trommie:
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
It looks like thimerisol free contact lens cleaning solution can work in a pinch.

Thimerisol free is available at Walgreens and many other places.  Once it's opened, it needs to be considered contaminated and the clock is ticking on it's usefulness. They do have some preservatives in them that should help keep bacterial growth down.

Since I use some of the solution in my household already, I'll be getting a couple travel bottles to use as one-time wound wash use and rotating them instead of the gargantuan bottle working on now. (Two fixes with the same item.)

For longer term (a bigger wound) I have a Datkin's solution instruction sheet.  Making a wound wash is not all that hard, but not always something I want to be doing while trying to patch myself up.

Answered my own question. Thanks for inspiring me to go look for it.

I've been wondering about contact lens saline for a while now. The rockstarpiercing page is a tad confusing. First they recommend it under "What Makes Sense". Then they go on to list it under "What Does Not Make Sense" if it's packaged in plastic squeeze bottles. The majority of solutions come packaged that way. As a lens wearer, I've never used anything not in a plastic bottle. So the most common and price effective saline solutions aren't recommended?

At any rate, they recommended wound wash saline in a metal can, as it "doesn’t ever get contaminated". This would make more sense for a fak, as it's sturdier and remains sterile. I looked at a can of it at Wallys this morning.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NeilMed-Wound-Wash-Saline-Spray-6-fl-oz/23821918

On the actual can, it said something about being for single patient use only. Does this mean it doesn't remain sterile? At $3.xx, it's not terribly expensive. But it would be nice if wasn't a throwaway product. I didn't examine the can enough to notice, but the web description says "Do not use in body orifices, ear canals, eyes or mouth". So even if it does remain sterile, it may just be better to carry those small bottles of lens solution in case eye irrigation is needed.

Anyone ever use the the NeilMed wash? Or even have any thoughts one way or another?

Probably a late response.  Ive never heard of that product.  For irrigation, you are best off with saline or water only.  saline can be used in te eyes, as long as its low pressure- IV bags work pretty well.  I suppose you could use eye drop bottles, but try to stick with drops that dont "get the red out."  For wounds, you will likely use at least foyr ounces, maybe more, to effectively irrigate.  No point buying little bottles.

As for single patient use, most bottles should be considered just that.  However, if you transfer from a large bottle to a smaller container, then the large bottle is still ok for another patient.  And most items "expire" 30days from opening.

Sorry for tpos, on a tablet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Bump for great thread.

Anyone have any suggestions for heavyweight ziploc bags or something to keep small items like band aids organized?  Or can suggest a better method?

People have mentioned superglue several times.  I'd be very careful with superglue as it has a way of getting where you don't intend.  And you would need acetone to remove it.   Not a fan.

Earlier someone also mentioned using Hydrogen peroxide as an oral rinse.  I'm a dentist and it's as bad for mouths as it is for wounds and basically should never be used.  Plain old salt water is far better for emergency oral cleansing.  

As for other oral emergencies, you can get a temporary filling material at walmart which is basically the same as what we use in the office.  It's good for filling holes to keep food from packing or temporarily re-cementing loose crowns.   Toothaches or anything involving swelling probably indicates infection and requires professional care ASAP.  Infections of dental origin can kill you just as quick as any other infection so don't mess around.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bones45:
Bump for great thread.

Anyone have any suggestions for heavyweight ziploc bags or something to keep small items like band aids organized?  Or can suggest a better method?

View Quote

Aloksak brand bags are not bad for entire small kits, but are expensive per unit for supplies

I actually buy lots of 4 mil zip closure bags from a jewelry distributor: http://www.starstruckllc.com/plastic_bags_bestbuy.php The 3x5 and 4x6 are great little bags to organize small supplies I make mini pocket  first aid kits out of the 4x6s . The bag provides a reasonable amount of waterproofing.  the 4 mils are nice, the  2 mil are a little thin.

I break pills down into smaller 2"x3" poly bags.  I do ensure these bags are food grade by buying those specially made to hold pills.. Walmart sells them in the pharmacy for just a couple of bucks for 50-100 of them. .  

Another option to organize band aids is the  plano storage compartment boxes with adjustable compartments.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Another bump for a great thread!

Thanks for all the great info everyone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump to the top and thanks to everyone for the info
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks, great thread.

I now have a grab and go blowout bag, as well as a full med-pack depending on what events come to pass.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump.

Great thread...

Should it be tacked?

Bret
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Garryowen] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I notice the OP was big on the regular sterile 4x4 gauze for wound dressings. Isn't there supposed to be a non stick version of those? Also I see them with petroleum jelly to do the same thing. Is there anything to all of this?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Storm_Tracker:
I notice the OP was big on the regular sterile 4x4 gauze for wound dressings. Isn't there supposed to be a non stick version of those? Also I see them with petroleum jelly to do the same thing. Is there anything to all of this?
View Quote

Petroleum bandages are NOT used for bleeding control, they're used for wound care after bleeding has stopped, or sucking chest wounds (old school use).  Some other uses too, but since the gauze is already impregnated with the PJ, it won't hold any blood and allow clotting.

Non stick, I've only seen small bandages (eg, 2x2). They're not great for bleeding control either, but it's an option to use one as a 'base layer" and then regular gauze over it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Storm_Tracker:

View Quote
As far as I know Petroleum jelly causes internal tissue damage. Usually the 4x4 is applied for around 30 min to an hour and removed at the er and then applied again. Changing the dressing will cause some bleeding but it will get less each time. Do not let it scab to the bandage . A wet wound is bad even with sterile water. Maybe a doc can chime in on Petroleum jelly on wounds.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:31:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#39]
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:42:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Storm_Tracker] [#43]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

as stated above vaseline gauze is NOT for bleed control or to be packed inside wounds, it should be for an occlusive dressing or a case where adhesion long term would be an issue <such as a burn>. In the field is not an issue as they will be passed to advanced care fairly quickly. for long term wound care telfa non stick dressings would be my preference as they are less likely to "stick" to a clot yet still absorb weeping.. in the field i WANT as much clotting surface as possible and that is why an absorbent dressing would be preferred.
Vaseline gauze foes NOT cause tissue damage ON SKIN where it is intended to be used.
View Quote
So ideally would standard procedure be a telfa non stick dressing then regular gauze on top of that for a light to medium bleeder? That was my initial thought. For some reason I thought I had read that the petroleum gauze did the same thing as the Telfa. No pj bandages, understood. But why isn't these non adherent bandages being used in these lists and trauma first aide kits?

Read your post a couple more times. Ok, so we want a heavy absorbent pad if we are certain that we can get someone to the ER within the hour? for a long term issue say I'm knee deep in the outback or emergency services are unable to respond timely and might not get help until the next day or longer then the Telfa pad and then absorbent pad on top of that may be ideal?

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Ive seen petroleum gauze used for penetrating wpunds in the chest, for large pieces of shrapnel.  Its packed around the object and used as an acclusive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I will elaborate when I have more time, but I am a strong advocate for having access to IV fluid therapy. If you are wise enough to stock up on such supplies, you are wise enough to read about the cautions you should take and the process for administration. As the OP eluded to, they are used best by those that handle them daily, but one can at least have them as part of their preps so someone who is medically trained that they know may use them. The same goes for several other medical therapies. Store them with the anticipation that someone with medical knowledge may be able to help you use them.

This is a subjective topic, so there is no right answer. Some may opt to rely on no one while others opt to form small communities with people of multiple specialties involved. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I will try to check this thread, but you can also PM/email me questions if you have any.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]
bump

Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
What do you recommend for burns? Help maybe a day or 2 away.
View Quote

didn't see an answer to this while reading through
differences in treating second and third degree burns?
any thoughts/ suggestions/ recommendations?

anybody have any experience with Water Jel?
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/water-jel-8x18-burn-dressing/

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#47]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bones45:
Bump for great thread.

People have mentioned superglue several times.  I'd be very careful with superglue as it has a way of getting where you don't intend.  And you would need acetone to remove it.   Not a fan.

Earlier someone also mentioned using Hydrogen peroxide as an oral rinse.  I'm a dentist and it's as bad for mouths as it is for wounds and basically should never be used.  Plain old salt water is far better for emergency oral cleansing.  

As for other oral emergencies, you can get a temporary filling material at walmart which is basically the same as what we use in the office.  It's good for filling holes to keep food from packing or temporarily re-cementing loose crowns.   Toothaches or anything involving swelling probably indicates infection and requires professional care ASAP.  Infections of dental origin can kill you just as quick as any other infection so don't mess around.
View Quote

Uline

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AGW:
#1 is always to stop the burning process.  Run water on it/yourself if it's a thermal or electrical burn.  Chemical burns might require chemical reversal of the burning process.  Generally, minor burns with blistering are better off drained and derided (cut the dead/blistered skin away).  After that, regularly washing/scrubbing is important to help new tissue granulate.  Bacitracin et al with a dry dressing is sufficient to cover.

Serious burns (esp. when we're talking >/= 10% BSA) require definitive treatment, but the biggest threats are shifts in fluid/electrolyte balance and infection.  Focus on aggressive fluid intake.  IV fluids are the gold standard, LR in particular, but I guess gatorade/nuun/etc. is an acceptable substitute if treatment is 1+ days out.  Keep thyself clean and work on extremity and digit movement if the burn crosses a joint.

Be realistic as well.  Severe, extensive burns can be a death sentence without the initiation of burn center-level treatment within the first few hours.  And any burn, big or small, on or near the face is considered a life threat due to concerns about airway and ventilation until ruled out.

View Quote

AGW, thanks for the good info.
this is one of the most useful threads on arfcom i've seen
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tvcasualty:
bump

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tvcasualty:
bump

Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
What do you recommend for burns? Help maybe a day or 2 away.

We have those at work - they are heavy, messy and you would have to be careful about the packaging if it's going to be bouncing around a lot, or you are rough on your equipment.  I think the claim that they relieve pain is B.S.  Maybe for 1st degree burns, but you wouldn't use that product just for a 1st degree.  If they're bad enough to need a burn sheet, they're likely getting morphine or fentanyl.  For the weight and bulk, I think I would rather have sterile dressings and sterile water - more versatile.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top