Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Bonz23:
Isn't there a "medical" super glue now? Anyone know if there is and if its available to the public?

Yup - Dermabond.

http://www.amazon.com/Dermabond-Topical-Adhesive-5ml-vial/dp/B0024L19I0

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roguetrader] [#2]
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
This thread has me thinking. Given the half remembered very basic FA training I received all those years ago, I think that what I really need - in addition to some more training - is a set of instruction cards on basic FA so I don't hurt someone in a high stress situation.
Anyone know where those are available?

first aid pamphlet
additional ones here

I have one of these and it is informative, about 2 pages long (double sided) and on card stock that is similar to playing card paper (plastic but not too stiff)
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Tag

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#4]
Originally Posted By Dave15:
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
i agree 100% with sutures as well. i carry them in my kit. keep in mind sewing skin isn't that easy.

You CAN practice: old innertubes, dead critters, etc
(I've sewed up all manner of critters, and even fish, but no humans.)

Pig's feet- get them from a butcher. Pig skin has many similarities to human skin. We used them during residency when learning new suturing techniques. But live patients are the best...

That having been said, a wound does not necessarily need to be sutured right away, and steri-strips or butterflies are often sufficient to close a wound. If it's cleaned up and covered with a dressing and kept clean and moist, a wound can be repaired even several days later. This is done routinely in the case of surgical excision of skin cancers and subsequent complex surgical repairs. The surgical repair can be done 2-3 days later.

Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) and clean water are excellent for cleansing wounds, and does not kill cells (white blood cells, and cells in the skin) which are working on repairing the wound. Dakin solution, 1:40, (1 part bleach, 39 parts water) also works great, and doesn't kill cells either. Just don't get Hibiclens in the eyes- it can cause keratitis- bad inflammation of the cornea- which can be very serious; be very careful about using it on the head/face.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You can use a chicken breast.
real skin and muscle, and you can cook and eat it when you're done.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dave15:
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
i agree 100% with sutures as well. i carry them in my kit. keep in mind sewing skin isn't that easy.

You CAN practice: old innertubes, dead critters, etc
(I've sewed up all manner of critters, and even fish, but no humans.)

i sewed up my dog once, she was hit by a car, and had a 3 inch long rip, in the soft area, on her inner thigh. i could see about 4 inches into the hole at one spot. neosporin, peroxide, and a needle and thread, she limped around for a few weeks, but is doing fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#7]
If you live somewhere near the South, pick up a package of pigs' feet.  It's about as close to human tissue as you will get and if you want to get crafty, you can even practice sewing up different tissue layers.  Look up interrupted, figure-8, and running sutures on-line, those are probably as fancy as you would need to get.

You can get large bags of sutures from Amazon for about $25.

Edit - looks like TigerForce already mentioned it above me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Great thread.

Been looking for ideas for some bags to keep around, and I really didn't know where to start. It seems I am always out of bandages, Neosporin, etc, when I need them.

Thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I know I promised Pics. Im buying a house and teaching 2 days of PHTLS. BUT I will see If I can make some BLS quick cards free of charge and "liability" during class.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OlyCar15:
Originally Posted By roguetrader:
Great post!!!!!

Only one complaint- Gloves should be non-latex

It's just as easy to get medical grade Nitral gloves and save the risk of finding the one person with an allergy

Just to go with the OPs philosophy I have a Molle Medic pack with basics that could be used to support a large group for a long time
with several boo-boo kits for hand outs so I don't have to break open the bag every time.

The $0.99 first aid kits from target/walmart are a good start for a hand out

I love these little kits and find myself purchasing and recommending them quite often.

I augment them with a couple of individual wrapped  ibuprofen, Imodium and benadryl and a few extra bandaids and keep them in the glove box of the car. and 99% of the time I don't have to crack the bigger kit in the car for boo boo's

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, an actual real world medical thread.

Thanks, and a tag.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:48:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eli822] [#12]
I thought this was a pretty good thread, hope no one objects to me adding to it to hopefully keep it going.  I thought I would contribute some online resources I have found for first aid / medical knowledge.  These are more study / learning guides.

Emergency Care is a website of online quizes and other materials.  Across the top border are chapter numbers that correspond with the chapters in the Emergency Care 10th Edition textbook.

National Outdoor Leadership School provides many different resources.  An online quiz more directed to wilderness medicine.  Case studies.  These are examples usually given as practical exercises, where a scenario is given and you have to make decisions based on the information you are given.    Resources includes accornym sheet, and printable card for conducting an assessment.  

Adventure Medical Kits offers a guide written by Dr. Eric Weiss with most of their bigger kits.  A .pdf of that field guide can be found
here

A couple years ago I found Special Operations Combat Medic Course, Mogadishu Raid Exercise this is a word document that is meant to be a class / small group exercise about medical interventions given during Mogadishu Raid (Black Hawk Down).  At the end of the exercise there are a couple interviews with medics who were there and discussion on what they may have done differently.  

Other resources:

On the PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support) page you can find Tactical Combat Casualty Care Course Materials all kinds of materials on TCCC.  

The Borden Institute has War Surgery in Afghanistan and Iraq which is pretty interesting.  

This  is an 11 page .pdf article by a doctor on treating gunshot wounds.  

Videos

When taking Basic EMT one thing that helped me was watching youtbe videos on patient assessment while following along with National Registry Sheets.  Sort of a way to memorize the format.  This one was very helpful.  There are addiontal videos listed in the right hand column.

Tacical Med Solutions has a vieo site that shoews how you use their OLAES bandages, other tips for frist aid, and some tactical tips like what to do with your rifle wile you are administering aid.  

Sam Medical used to have videos posted on their website but now it is a youtube channel.  Here are videos that show most all of Sam Medical products, specifically how to bend and apply a Sam Splint for certain injuries.  

Like Tac Med Solutions and Sam Medical H&H has videos under each product showing how to apply it.  This example shows how to apply the Bolin Chest Seal.

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope we aren't done with this. I've gained a great deal of insight.

BK
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Almost glued my lips together working with SG. The cap has a punch to open the seal on the tube. Having both hands occupied I stuck the cap between my lips. Didn't realize the cap got some glue on it. Luckily it only got on one lip and dried before I was done working with it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#15]
As soon as I move all my supplies im going to go to the store and find you guys the lowest prices that can be found. A few items are not found in stores like sam splints . It will be about 2 weeks till im setled in my new home and man cave .I swear there will be a price guide with pics
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Mods- This thread really could use a tack. It's a potential life saver, especially for folks with no medical background.

Regards,
Greg
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Spectre210:
Mods- This thread really could use a tack. It's a potential life saver, especially for folks with no medical background.

Regards,
Greg

Here! Here!
BK

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Another thing you guys might get for an EDC kit is a pocket face mask. I usually send them out when I ship something to members here but they have gone up in price. Looks like a condom holder for your keys. I recently went to a cardiac arrest where it was used and it kept the guys that were doing CPR/Mouth to mouth on a coworker from getting a mouth full of puke. A 2 way pocket mask is better but bigger. I neglect it because I have equipment in my truck but for you guys its a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the layman's CPR guidelines just change to just doing compressions without rescue breathing?
BTW - Great thread
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#20]
excellent thread lafmedic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome thread, one of the most useful ones I have read.

What about Nexcare Coban wraps?  I did about 4 years in a veterinarian office and learned to love them then.  Its a little easier than an ace bandage or bandage and tape; in particular if you are working one handed.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Never heard of them. Im assuming they are slightly stiffer than kling. Kind of like an ace/kling

Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

What about Nexcare Coban wraps?  I did about 4 years in a veterinarian office and learned to love them then.  Its a little easier than an ace bandage or bandage and tape; in particular if you are working one handed.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lafmedic1] [#23]
Probably did . It changes more than Id care to count. I reccomend getting CPR provider. Its a little bit more involved but I hope everyone here would be capable of it if they own firearms. Remember someone can have a pulse and not be breathing. Thats where the mask comes in. Does not make sense to do CPR then unless you cant recognize the signs. Just a useful tool thats small an simple to use. Laymans is great for the general public and Im not downing it. The theory is CPR causes negative pressure and thus allows for ventilation to occur. Im not jumping on that wagon yet.

Originally Posted By Si9_605:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the layman's CPR guidelines just change to just doing compressions without rescue breathing?

BTW - Great thread

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 12:24:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spitfire762] [#24]
Nice thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: broken_reticle] [#25]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Never heard of them. Im assuming they are slightly stiffer than kling. Kind of like an ace/kling

Coban is a bit like an Ace, but it sticks very well to itself without sticking to skin.  It doesn't require any tape and holds pretty firmly.  I don't know how to describe, like a velcro bandage.   The nice thing is on something like your hand its easy to apply gauze and wrap with the stuff and not have to worry about tape or god-forbid those little ace bandage staple things.  In the case of a serious injury it does a very good job of holding compression.  

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetname=201327&category|category_root|116=Safety&category|cat_116|264=Gloves+and+Skin+Protection
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Skin stitch (the medical super glue) is handy to have.   Good for smaller to moderate lacerations that can be easily approximated.  Some silvadine for burns maybe?  Coban is good stuff to have too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 2:49:25 AM EDT
[#27]
ANy soure for the medical super glue ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Good question, Vet wrap is very handy stuff and not so expensive if you get a non brand name at places like tractor supply or KV vet supply. Although I've noticed it does seem to have a shelve life where after a couple of years open rolls seem to loose their stretch and clin
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:
excellent thread lafmedic.

+1. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MrBear80229:

Good question, Vet wrap is very handy stuff and not so expensive if you get a non brand name at places like tractor supply or KV vet supply. Although I've noticed it does seem to have a shelve life where after a couple of years open rolls seem to loose their stretch and clin

YMMV of course, but personally I don't like anything that applies extra tension for bandaging.  With Kling or Kerlix or Cravats I control how much tension is applied and how tightly the material is wrapped around the injury site.  If I find I've lost a pulse or fingertips are turning white, etc below the injury site, it's easy to go back and loosen the dressing and recheck and know that it's not going to get any tighter than where I have it.  

Coban and Ace bandages are elastic and when stretched will ty to return to their unstretched form.  That's going to increase the pressure to the injury site and can disrupt circulation without you knowing it.  I don't like to use either outside the hospital for bleeding control.  I do like Ace wraps for breaks, sprains, etc. without circulatory system compromise and God knows they're great when my aching knee needs a little support.  Coban is nice for applying a little extra pressure to blood draw sites when somebody's on Coumadin or other blood thinners and I've also seen it used on ABG sites and to help secure IV tubing.  

Just my opinion, as I said your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Eli822:
A couple years ago I found Special Operations Combat Medic Course, Mogadishu Raid Exercise this is a word document that is meant to be a class / small group exercise about medical interventions given during Mogadishu Raid (Black Hawk Down).  At the end of the exercise there are a couple interviews with medics who were there and discussion on what they may have done differently.  

That link is now dead; would you be willing to email me the document if you have it saved?
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't really want to derail the thread, but I've been considering my options for assembling a first aid kit for bicycle touring. I've designated a small bag(1.8L) for my med kit on the outside of my panniers. This will be for a 2 month unsupported bike tour across america.  Any opinions on what I should carry? How would it differ from something I would take for a 3-5 day backpack?
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

That link is now dead; would you be willing to email me the document if you have it saved?

Sorry about that.  Go to this website.  It is the second link under military medicine.  

This is a quote from one of the interviews at the end, "Ninety-five percent of what I did treatment wise was primary / secondary survey, bandages and splints and IV’s. No ET tubes, cutdowns or chest tubes. I do not mean to de-emphasize these important procedures, but only to say most of the management was fairly simple. Most of it was Boy Scout First Aid."  The quote for some reason always sticks out in my mind.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kc8ard:
I don't really want to derail the thread, but I've been considering my options for assembling a first aid kit for bicycle touring. I've designated a small bag(1.8L) for my med kit on the outside of my panniers. This will be for a 2 month unsupported bike tour across america.  Any opinions on what I should carry? How would it differ from something I would take for a 3-5 day backpack?

honestly I probably wouldn't change a lot....if you need to restock there will be plenty of drugstores and walmarts along the way.  i would think anything that couldn't be treated with a basic 3-5 day kit would probably be enough to keep you off the bike until it heals.  maybe stock some extra advil, tylenol, immodium, and moleskin for blisters.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Im working on getting the set up down to the size of a Jan Sport book sack. Im going to be making a few for my friends as they have expressed interest. Sadly the Pelican Cases are keeping the cost up. Im still moving in .Expect a full report in about 2-3weeks. I hate when people stall Like I am. but as long as this thread keeps rolling I will keep adding. Also as others have said the idea with this set up is easy re supply. Walgreens,CVS and such. I probably wont go with the inital purchase of stuff from them but will re supply with them

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry about that.  Go to this website.  It is the second link under military medicine.  

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Im working on getting the set up down to the size of a Jan Sport book sack. Im going to be making a few for my friends as they have expressed interest. Sadly the Pelican Cases are keeping the cost up. Im still moving in .Expect a full report in about 2-3weeks. I hate when people stall Like I am. but as long as this thread keeps rolling I will keep adding. Also as others have said the idea with this set up is easy re supply. Walgreens,CVS and such. I probably wont go with the inital purchase of stuff from them but will re supply with them

I am putting together a couple of first aid kits based on this thread.  I have been looking for good prices on a Pelican case, to which I discovered there are not any.  I did find some good deals on metal tool cases at Lowes, they will be somewhat weather proof and keep everything organized.  I am going to try to organize everything I can in vacuum sealed bags to protect against water.  The best part of the case was the cost, about $9 each.  The weight would suck on a bike though, but vacuum sealing the stuff would keep the stuff dry.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been thinking about going full retard with a med kit based on these 2 pelican cases.  I'm also thinking hard about getting EMT certified at the local city college this year as well so I have the skills to go with the goods.

Any comment or opinion on these 2 setups, either together or individually?

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Its full reatrd. I see saline  and bicarb .Save your money and build it up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#40]

None of the contents are included with those cases, just the cases, organizers and dividers.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Then in that case looks like a good set up. Very similar to what im using . I like the tackle box.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#42]
UPDATE. Okay guys I spoke to a rep at PMI Medical Supplies. I got a reply next day about personal sales. Looks like some excellent pricing. The deal is it can not be an invasive tool IE Et tubes, needles , fluids that you are ordering. Otherwise your good to go. The prices there rock! and they have a sale section. When you order your supplies in the company name list yourself. They also have free shipping for orders over $150. Im going to order soon and let you guys know how it goes.

Link left cold
http://www.progressivemed.com/

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I notice in the pictures that its velcro holding the dividers in. I wonder if something else could be used for dividers and we could roll our own. Im down for it. Can you ID the pelican size. Im curretly using the one thats around 50 bucks. We use the same Set up in a semi rigid bag at work.

Originally Posted By LOW2000:

None of the contents are included with those cases, just the cases, organizers and dividers.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 2:49:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LOW2000] [#44]

I notice in the pictures that its velcro holding the dividers in. I wonder if something else could be used for dividers and we could roll our own. Im down for it. Can you ID the pelican size. Im curretly using the one thats around 50 bucks. We use the same Set up in a semi rigid bag at work.

The tackle box is the Pelican 1460 EMS Case.

(this may or may not be the best pricing out there, but it has pictures and descriptions, they are currently out of stock)

The Pelican 1460EMS Case with EMS Organizer/Divider was specifically designed in conjunction with fire department and EMS personnel. It has an interior tray system with 3 trays for storage of supplies and a lockable compartment for controlled substances. There are adjustable tray dividers and a sharps bottle storage bracket. It is carried by a combination haul and shoulder strap with a wide pad. This case has a lifetime guarantee of excellence.
It is an unbreakable watertight airtight dustproof chemical resistant and corrosion proof hard case used to carry any kind of equipment that needs to be protected from the elements. It is made of ultra-high Impact structural copolymer that makes it extremely strong and durable. It has a watertight neoprene o-ring easy-open double throw latches that seal perfectly and includes an automatic pressure equalization valve for quick equalization after changes in atmospheric pressure. The case has comfortable rubber over-molded top handle.

Specifications:

• Adjustable tray dividers allow for easy customization

• Sharps storage bracket included

• Top lid opens up to 180° for on-the-field anti-roll stability when open

• O-ring seal for dust and water resistant seal (IP66)

• Easy open Double Throw latches

• Open cell core with solid wall design - strong, light weight

• Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve

• Comfortable rubber over-molded handles

• ]Stainless steel hardware and padlock protectors

• Personalized nameplate service available

• Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence (Tray system not covered by lifetime warranty)

• Each tray has an overall internal dimension of: 17" x 7.65" x 1.36" (43.18 x 19.43 x 3.45cm) LxWxD

• Interior Dimensions: 18.54" x 9.92" x 10.92" (47.1 x 25.2 x 27.7 cm)

• The standard case is this one:

The Pelican 1550EMS Case with EMS Organizer/Divider was specifically designed in conjunction with fire department and EMS personnel. A specially engineered medical supply organization system which includes a lid organizer with clear pockets and a fully customizable, hook-and-loop, padded divider set.

It is an unbreakable watertight airtight dustproof chemical resistant and corrosion proof hard case used to carry any kind of equipment that needs to be protected from the elements. It is made of ultra-high Impact structural copolymer that makes it extremely strong and durable. It has a watertight neoprene o-ring easy-open double throw latches that seal perfectly and includes an automatic pressure equalization valve for quick equalization after changes in atmospheric pressure. The case has comfortable rubber over-molded top handle.

Specifications:

• 1550 Case customized for EMS personnel

• Multi layer lid organizer with numerous clean pockets - find everything right away

• Lid organizer clear cover with Velcro® fasteners - keep supplies in place during transport

• Padded dividers with adjustable walls for customizing compartments to any size

• Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve

• Stainless steel padlock protectors

• Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence

• Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof

• CONTENTS NOT INCLUDED
  • Now I fully acknowledge that this is NOT the most cost effective route to take, those 2 boxes alone will be in the 4-500 dollar range before you fill them.  That said, they ARE nearly bombproof, waterproof, easily identifiable in an emergency "GO GRAB THE TWO BRIGHT ORANGE CASES" are easy directions for anyone to follow.  They also have a built in organization system that makes getting to what you need in an emergency, or inventorying and rotating your supplies much easier as well.

I appreciate the time you are putting into this thread, and as I stated above, it has prompted me to get my EMT-I cert this year.  As with so much we prepare for, I hope to never use any of those skills or supplies, but in addition to the obvious preparedness slant, it also provides me with the ability to have something to fall back on should I lose my job or something along those lines.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 2:59:21 AM EDT
    [#45]
    Clem lights & flash lights were mentioned. I would rather have a head light (you know, a light that's mounted to an elastic strap that goes around your head).

That way you have both hands free.
    Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:20:14 AM EDT
    [#46]
    Yea a petzel is good also. A few guys use them. I dont like them but I do like the hands fee idea. Im going to put the kits together with a reg Single AA batt Lite. I have a surefire 6p halogen for the dirtywork
    Link Posted: 4/16/2011 9:09:18 AM EDT
    [#47]
    Just finished reading. This post needs to be stickied
    Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:28:47 AM EDT
    [#48]

Originally Posted By S197Shelby:

Just finished reading. This post needs to be stickied

+1

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 5:21:03 PM EDT
    [#49]

[/li]Now I fully acknowledge that this is NOT the most cost effective route to take, those 2 boxes alone will be in the 4-500 dollar range before you fill them. [/div]    [/div]

they're cheaper here
    Link Posted: 4/18/2011 1:15:37 PM EDT
    [#50]
    Medical "super glue" -  http://www.progressivemed.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=86444    around $ 30. each.
    Page / 6
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top