BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mpnelson81:
So... instead of reading 42 pages.... Can I get a synopsis/ overall review?  Sorry, I am feeling lazy and would like to get the BLUF (bottom line up front)..  Thanks.
View Quote

We started this thread in January of 2010, there are over a 1000 post's and not one person has broke the generator and posted about it.....so yea, I would say its GTG, I own two.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MrZeat:
I bought one and almost never use it, surged too much, the UPSs hate it if I try and run servers on it... Fridge isn't much better, aside from powering like light weight electric lawn equipment (it powers a harbor freight pole saw perfectly) I haven't got much use out of it.
View Quote

Paired with a decent 40+ amp charger, it's excellent for recharging battery banks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:  We started this thread in January of 2010, there are over a 1000 post's and not one person has broke the generator and posted about it.....so yea, I would say its GTG, I own two.
View Quote

Well - it will fry the diodes if you try to gang them & don't quite get them in phase before throwing the switch...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:57:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Well - it will fry the diodes if you try to gang them & don't quite get them in phase before throwing the switch...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:  We started this thread in January of 2010, there are over a 1000 post's and not one person has broke the generator and posted about it.....so yea, I would say its GTG, I own two.

What diodes?

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

What diodes?
View All Quotes

What diodes?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1700723_.html
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned this generator for about a year and a half but probably only have about 10 hours on it. I use quality 2-stroke oil mixed with 87 octane, have an NGK spark plug since the beginning and use sea foam every now and again.

Engine starts and runs smooth, haven't given me any problems until yesterday. I started it up and plugged a 250W heat lamp into it just to run it under a load like I usually do and no dice. I saw the filament barely turn orange and then go out. Since then I'm not getting any power out. I'm getting 12-15vAC when I measure it with my multimeter. I checked the circuit breaker and it's showing 0 ohms when measured across the contacts.

Any thoughts? Product manual suggests not high enough RPM, bad rectifier, open windings.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

What diodes?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:42:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#8]
Originally Posted By JerzeyTransplant:
I've owned this generator for about a year and a half but probably only have about 10 hours on it. I use quality 2-stroke oil mixed with 87 octane, have an NGK spark plug since the beginning and use sea foam every now and again.

Engine starts and runs smooth, haven't given me any problems until yesterday. I started it up and plugged a 250W heat lamp into it just to run it under a load like I usually do and no dice. I saw the filament barely turn orange and then go out. Since then I'm not getting any power out. I'm getting 12-15vAC when I measure it with my multimeter. I checked the circuit breaker and it's showing 0 ohms when measured across the contacts.

Any thoughts? Product manual suggests not high enough RPM, bad rectifier, open windings.....
View Quote

My first suggestion is to take apart the plug.....its as cheap as they come, and might have worked itself loose.

All kidding aside, have you tried smacking it with a dead blow hammer? This often overlooked "repair procedure" is highly effective on just about everything from time to time... YMMV!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
^^ You might also try "flashing the field":

This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department. As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash the generator:

• Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless drills do not work).

• If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward position.

• Start the generator.

• While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backwards.

Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck. As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and the drill will turn on.

The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor winding the rotor has been flashed.

If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field flash your generator if needed -
View Quote

(Explanation: Most portable generators rely on a small amount of residual magnetism always being present in the steel laminations of the rotor and stator. This magnetism induces a small voltage when the generator is first started, which in turn produces more magnetism in the laminations, which in turn generates more voltage, until the generator quickly builds up full AC output voltage. Occasionally, there isn't enough residual magnetism to get the process started - in which case no voltage is produced when the generator engine is started. Fixing this problem involves applying an external voltage to the generator windings (i.e., "flashing the field") in order to re-magnetize them.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for suggestions guys. I thought I might need to adjust the governor but I verified the RPMs to be correct by using a tachometer from another generator I have.

I'll try the BFH trick when I get home and then try the reverse drill. I might use a cordless drill I have to wind it instead of by hand. I did try HF tech support which was a joke. The kid on the other end actually told me to take it to a mechanic. I said "like the guys that work on cars?" He said, "yeah, like a tool repair place. Or you can watch some videos online or something." WOW.

I did find some replacement parts for this genny on eBay but I don't think I want to put any more money into this already cheap generator. At least I have a good working 63cc engine. Maybe I can make a motor scooter or something.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JerzeyTransplant:  Thanks for suggestions guys. I thought I might need to adjust the governor but I verified the RPMs to be correct by using a tachometer from another generator I have.

I'll try the BFH trick when I get home and then try the reverse drill. I might use a cordless drill I have to wind it instead of by hand. I did try HF tech support which was a joke. The kid on the other end actually told me to take it to a mechanic. I said "like the guys that work on cars?" He said, "yeah, like a tool repair place. Or you can watch some videos online or something." WOW.

I did find some replacement parts for this genny on eBay but I don't think I want to put any more money into this already cheap generator. At least I have a good working 63cc engine. Maybe I can make a motor scooter or something.  
View Quote

I considered that last.  I had a 48V 750W Chinese electric scooter.  I bought one of these little gennys off eBay that had a 12V output, and a telecom 48V digital power supply.  I was going to gang it all together and boogie down the road @ 30 mph on my two-stroke hybrid.  Could never get the taillight to work, so couldn't pass inspection...  
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JerzeyTransplant: I might use a cordless drill I have to wind it instead of by hand.[/img]
View Quote

That won't work - The drill needs to be the "corded" variety, so that it can momentarily supply a little charging current to the generator when you spin it by hand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Skibane:
That won't work - The drill needs to be the "corded" variety, so that it can momentarily supply a little charging current to the generator when you spin it by hand.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By JerzeyTransplant: I might use a cordless drill I have to wind it instead of by hand.[/url]

I meant I could use a cordless drill to turn the corded drill.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JerzeyTransplant: I might use a cordless drill I have to wind it instead of by hand.[/url]

When the generator starts producing AC power again, it'll immediately spin the corded drill.

If you don't let go of the drill's trigger switch soon enough, things could get...interesting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Do you have a GoPro?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]

When the generator starts producing AC power again, it'll immediately spin the corded drill.

If you don't let go of the drill's trigger switch soon enough, things could get...interesting.
View Quote

I've done the "field flash" on mine using a cordless drill attached to a corded drill. It worked, the drills just kind of went "clunk" and torque-locked one another. No harm to me or the drills.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
So the "Field Flashing" using my two drills was pretty uneventful. I tried it forward and reverse several different times. No Dice.

The BFH trick didn't work either. Looks like I got a turd.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#18]
So the "Field Flashing" using my two drills was pretty uneventful. I tried it forward and reverse several different times. No Dice.

The BFH trick didn't work either. Looks like I got a turd.
View Quote

No, your genny has likely a single simple issue that you have failed to diagnose, so far.

Dig a little deeper...  

Maybe start with an ac voltmeter, 'analog meter' type because spark ignition systems typically play havoc with digital meters...

And while running, measure the voltage directly at the wires from the genny windings, as a good starting point.

Look around at all the connections to verify none have come loose or aren't making contact.

Also, check that any circuit protection the genny has is not tripped.

Then check winding resistance and after that, check for a bad diode.

Just a week ago, a friend's ELT wasn't working and he was going to have to replace it. In 3 minutes of careful inspection, it was clear that the wires from the heavy springs that make contact with the D cell batteries had bad solder joints to the smaller wires going to the ckt bd.

They were intermittent and I have to wonder how many others flying around out there have the same mfgr'ing defect.

Problem identified with just a visual inspection.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I just sold my HF 800 watt unit. I just never use it. I paid $79 just after this thread started and sold it for $70.

I always grab my 2000 watt Champion inverter first.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to test mine the other day. It started surging like crazy. With no load or under load it made no difference.

I guessed the carb may be plugged up. Took off the front cover on the airbox and sprayed some carb cleaner right into the carb opening. After a couple of shots of carb cleaner it was back to running like new again.

Hopefully this helps anyone with similar problems. Think I left the gas in there too long and some varnish clogged the carb jets even though I was religious about running all the gas out of the carb by shutting off the fuel valve and letting the generator burn out the rest of the fuel. I also use stabil.

Cycle your gas through these often.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought one of these, the first version, labeled the powerpac+ from Pep-Boys in 2007 for a very low price.
The mfg date on it is 04/2007.
I took it, a Stihl chainsaw and can of oil/gas mixture to the gulf coast to help in a katrina cleanup.
The new saw worked great, but the genny leaked gas all over the place when I turned the fuel valve on.
Off, it stopped leaking.
I left it in a barn down there, unused and with that fuel in the tank.

Found this thread earlier this year and said why not?
I retrieved the genny and cleaned the tank and carb of a soupy dark blue liquid using gasoline and carb cleaner.
I now know what Stihl oli and gas mix looks like after 7 years.
Fixed the shutoff valve as well.
Note that the carb had the blue oil/gas soup in it, not the usual dried varnish.
After cleaning, I dumped a quart of Trufuel into the tank and as expected, it would not start.
Removed the cowling and used a drill and socket with adapter to spin the engine.
After about 10-15 seconds it started.
Reassembled, it starts with the rope.
I plan on breaking it in properly when the weather cools some.

I think the presence of the oil/gas mixture prevented the usual goop (technical term) from developing in the carb.
I wonder if, instead of running the genny every month, simply draining the carb and refilling with fuel from the tank will keep it in running condition.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone tried running the small 5 - 7 cubic foot chest freezers with one of these?

I'm curious if it will work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I've run a small chest freezer and dorm sized fridge on mine at the same time. No problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Pforty:
Has anyone tried running the small 5 - 7 cubic foot chest freezers with one of these?

View Quote

I have a both a 5cubic foot chest freezer (old one) and a new 7 cubic foot chest freezer. Both chest freezers run fine on this generator, Killawatt meter shows running wattage less than 130 watts for each freezer.

I only ran one freezer at a time, I have not tried to plug them both in at the same time. That would likely stall out this small generator due to the starting amps.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got one of these little HF genny's and I never thought it'd have the muscle to power my little chest freezer.  I'm glad to hear that it'll work.  I'm going to have to experiment with mine and report back if it works or doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 2:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#28]
We've been using 2 of the little chest freezers on solar power for ---let's see---  since 2009...

They use little juice for what they do -and work great!

As long as you sequence the starting, and don't do a 'Hard Start', I expect the little genny would run BOTH, just fine.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#29]
It was 92F degrees today and I thought to myself........Air conditioning demands redundant power backup, what SANE person doesn't have a Air Conditioning strategy when the power flickers?

All Hail the affordable generators that will save the day during a power failure:

That is all, carry on.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#30]
needle and seat keeps getting buggered with a few break-in runs over months. The fuel overflows the bowl and I have to clean the needle...tried to smooth out the ridges with a little sanding and reassembled. Works ok, but something to keep an eye on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#31]
"what SANE person doesn't have a Air Conditioning strategy when the power flickers?"

Absolutely.
Wife had no interest in some cheap window unit hanging out the LR window facing the back yard.
About a months ago the central unit acted up.
Now we run the little unit all the time even with the central unit fixed.
When I showed her the gen sitting in the shed ready to keep the little A/C running to keep her comfy even if the power failed, she said "cool".
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#32]
My electrician had one but experienced varying voltages.

He drilled and tapped the lever, installed a screw and ran it up to the level where the voltage was 120V.

He then screwed the lever in place. Walla! Problem solved. Just thought I'd throw that out even though I don't have one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

I have a both a 5cubic foot chest freezer (old one) and a new 7 cubic foot chest freezer. Both chest freezers run fine on this generator, Killawatt meter shows running wattage less than 130 watts for each freezer.

I only ran one freezer at a time, I have not tried to plug them both in at the same time. That would likely stall out this small generator due to the starting amps.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:
Originally Posted By Pforty:

I have an older 7 cu foot freezer and it'll run it no problem.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
just keeping this thread from going extinct.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Going to do a test run this weekend..powering up shtf circuit in the house from the little 800watt genny that never quits.

Got one leg of a 5w-30 connector, powered through the gen, into a transfer switch, powering a central circuit in the house.  Little Ups separates power and devices.  I'm a little concerned with low voltage, but the ups should kick in if there are any problems.

We'll see how it goes!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone should make a propane conversion for this little thing. I would probably run several days on a bbq tank.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By xacex:  Someone should make a propane conversion for this little thing. I would probably run several days on a bbq tank.
View Quote

Needs an oil injector - it's 2 stroke.  PARover got it to run on rubbing alcohol, but you have to start it w/ lighter fluid.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1551220_backbencher_s_delema____What_in_the_PX_will_run_in_a_2_stroke_engine_.html
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GTTacoma:
Going to do a test run this weekend..powering up shtf circuit in the house from the little 800watt genny that never quits.

Got one leg of a 5w-30 connector, powered through the gen, into a transfer switch, powering a central circuit in the house.  Little Ups separates power and devices.  I'm a little concerned with low voltage, but the ups should kick in if there are any problems.

We'll see how it goes!
View Quote

Well,  test today was mostly a failure.  

I'm running this through my 240v Gentran transfer switch,  into my main panel,  to 3 different circuits.  The most important circuit goes upstairs to a central room in the house, with a good view, and all of my communication equipment.  Second circuit is a few outlets on the first floor,  and third runs some outlets in the kitchen.  

The kitchen circuit is GFCI,  and when I transfer the power to the gen,  it works fine.  

The other 2 circuits are the trouble makers,  they are AFCI breakers,  and as soon as I transfer the load to the gen,  the breakers on the main panel trip.  

Guess I've got some reading to do to figure this one out
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Little genny is saving T-day.

About 90 min ago the power failed. Turkey has been outside in the smoker since 3am and needed about another 90-120 min to reach perfection.

I waited a half hour to see if this blackout was just a teaser or going to be awhile. Smoker is back up to temp and genny is just purring nicely with this load. Now that it's up to temp I'm going to add the load of a 300va UPS which is keeping the DSL modem, switch and wireless running.

The backup propane furnace which requires no power is keeping us nice and warm, think it is less than 20F outside. Skylights keep most of the house nice and bright.

We all Good. Happy Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Good!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
on sale for 88.00 this weekend
View Quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/900-Peak700-Running-Watts-2-HP-63cc-2-Cycle-Gas-Generator-EPACARB-60338.html

I am considering grabbing one of these.  I already have a 5k and 3k, but this might make a good little backup for when we only want to charge some things.

They don't drop below 90 very often anymore.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:

My local Napa had the champion plug. Tried tractor supply and Walmart without luck, so hit an auto parts store first.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:

Originally Posted By Canoer:
correct sparkplug (brand/#)to replace the original one?

Champion N11YC
NGK BPR5ES
Bosch WR9DC
(0.028 - 0.031" gap)

My local Napa had the champion plug. Tried tractor supply and Walmart without luck, so hit an auto parts store first.

Quote just to keep the info alive.  According to other members changing out the plug for a name brand one is a must, and will help with reliable starting and running.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#44]
" />        Any one have this happen? Broke it in according to the inst. Ran it just to charge my deep cells up at my elk camp. It was full of fuel, purring away when we heard a loud pop. Looked out of the tent and the flames were 10 feet and climbing the tree! I di not take it apart to investigate , just returned it for a new one. So far so good. Just running it way out on the driveway, don't trust it yet.
" />

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#45]
So then it's also a campsite heater!

(Man, those HF engineers thought of EVERYTHING!)
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#46]

So then it's also a campsite heater!

(Man, those HF engineers thought of EVERYTHING!)
View Quote
You owe me a key board! LOL. You never saw 3 old guys move as fast as we did to put it out. No one got hurt and the forest was saved. The next day the DOW officer just looked at and shook her head and said "nice job "

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By tuppergun:

http://<a href=http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb343/tuppergun1/f58bfdda-ab01-4107-a1e5-9f318846ea23_zpssnxhvud4.jpg" />        Any one have this happen? Broke it in according to the inst. Ran it just to charge my deep cells up at my elk camp. It was full of fuel, purring away when we heard a loud pop. Looked out of the tent and the flames were 10 feet and climbing the tree! I di not take it apart to investigate , just returned it for a new one. So far so good. Just running it way out on the driveway, don't trust it yet.

http://<a href=http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb343/tuppergun1/20150915_133333_zpspsqeyauy.jpg" />    
View Quote

Working as intended, comrade.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#48]
How much was the charger drawing?  How many batteries was it charging @ the time?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#49]
How much was the charger drawing?  How many batteries was it charging @ the time?
View Quote

That shouldn't really matter, since the generator has a circuit breaker that's **supposed** to open well before the point where the magic smoke starts escaping.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#50]
It had a smart charger plugged in that says 450 watts, charging 1 deep cell at 25 amps. It had done it for 4 days with no problems. Not overloaded, running 50/1 oil mix.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top