Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
This may seem dumb but you can throw a few contractor bags in the bottom of your sack, then use one bag to line the sack. Put everything in the bag, at the top twist and fold oger the bag before closing the sack up and now all your gear stays dry. The bags also have limitless potential as rain collectors, solar stills, rain parka, shelter material, etc.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Timberwulfen:

This may seem dumb but you can throw a few contractor bags in the bottom of your sack, then use one bag to line the sack. Put everything in the bag, at the top twist and fold oger the bag before closing the sack up and now all your gear stays dry. The bags also have limitless potential as rain collectors, solar stills, rain parka, shelter material, etc.

http://target.scene7.com/is/image//Target/14736813?wid=680&hei=680
View Quote

Also, if you tie off the garbage bag inside your pack with a bit of air in it, it serves as a flotation device.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

Also, if you tie off the garbage bag inside your pack with a bit of air in it, it serves as a flotation device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cut some holes in it for arms and head, it becomes an expedient emergency vapor shield (sort of windbreaker).
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have zippos you can take the flints out of bics once there empty.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a small pencil sharpener or a construction pencil sharpener to make awesome tinder from random twigs and sticks. It usually ignites from sparks depending on the type of wood. I make all my campfires this way using one or two strikes on my flint. Its tiny, weighs next to nothing, costs very little, and works amazing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hking:
I use a small pencil sharpener or a construction pencil sharpener to make awesome tinder from random twigs and sticks. It usually ignites from sparks depending on the type of wood. I make all my campfires this way using one or two strikes on my flint. Its tiny, weighs next to nothing, costs very little, and works amazing.
View Quote

That's so simple it makes you want to slap your forehead and scream "DOH!"
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Your girlfriends foot scraper, small and light. Makes fine shavings for tinder.
Wrap your ferro rod with half width duct tape for a handle.Tear off a piece, put fine tinder on it and hit with ferro.
Pine tar scraped from a tree and flattened out, about the size of a quarter. Place on a piece of bark. Put fine tinder on top.
Contractor bags have been mentioned extensively in this thread, but I didn't see this one.
Take a bag and fill it with pine straw, leaves or like material. Tie it up and you have a nice mattress.
Small fish like brook trout, chubs, creek minnows can be cooked by rolling them in hickory leaves and placed on hot coals.
Keep a couple of clear bags in your pack. If water is scarce, you can put the bags over green leafy limbs. It will collect a small amount.
Bandannas are a multiple use item. Put at least three in your pack. At the very least carry one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MadMax1911:
Your girlfriends foot scraper, small and light. Makes fine shavings for tinder.
Wrap your ferro rod with half width duct tape for a handle.Tear off a piece, put fine tinder on it and hit with ferro.
Pine tar scraped from a tree and flattened out, about the size of a quarter. Place on a piece of bark. Put fine tinder on top.
Contractor bags have been mentioned extensively in this thread, but I didn't see this one.
Take a bag and fill it with pine straw, leaves or like material. Tie it up and you have a nice mattress.
Small fish like brook trout, chubs, creek minnows can be cooked by rolling them in hickory leaves and placed on hot coals.
Keep a couple of clear bags in your pack. If water is scarce, you can put the bags over green leafy limbs. It will collect a small amount.
Bandannas are a multiple use item. Put at least three in your pack. At the very least carry one.
View Quote

I have a plastic bag with 3 bandannas that have been boiled and air dried; I keep them clean for use as bandages.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
tag-gage for a great info thread!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Actually, it will float without the air in it, if there is air in it, it serves as excess volume that could potentially be filled with water, and it will be too buoyant and will be difficult to stay afloat on top of the bag.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:13:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WSS] [#12]
Getting water to your house.

If you already have a booster pump, then the trick may be free. You can use a garden hose to pressurize your house right through the spigot. The pressure reverses. Make sure your city connection is turned off tight (if on city water and pressure) or you might be losing your stored water.

We use the 275gl IBC totes ($100ea) for water storage and a harbor freight booster pump ($80 on sale) this will put 40psi to your home. On Ebay there is a 75psi version free ship for $99

in use the water flows from bottom of IBC via garden hose to booster pump, then output is also via garden hose direct to outside spigot.

It works, hot water, shower, toilet etc. You have to learn to be sparing and watch for waste. One area we learned was the wait for hot water, fill up a clean five gallon bucket and put it back in the tote. Another was the old adage, yellow.mellow, brown flush it down. For dish cleaning use a soak tank. If you gotta drink the stored water, try one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251545155058?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know there are other methods but this fairly portable but does require 110vac for UV light.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Posted by LARman0311;
You can also do this as an MRE "bomb". Same materiel, just don't drill a hole in the cap, dump the magniziume powder from the ration heart, dump in as much tobasco as you lik on to the magnezium, replace cap, shake up good and hard and give it a good toss. Once the pressure builds up in the bottle, POP!! Good way to spook folks, delay tactic, or even a super crude flashbang.
View Quote

Bigger is better. I put 10 heater guts in a 2 liter bottle and filed it 3/4 full of water. Threw it under my porch steps for safety. It blew the steps off my back porch and set off car alarms for blocks. The harder the plastic the better the explosion.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:
Thought I would share a recent "project", I call the Tic Tac Ammo Case!

16, 9mm rounds, fit into a Tic Tac case (note the very slight bulged in the center), with proper taping, they are guaranteed 100% water resistant :

48 rounds, 115grain FMJ 9mm weighs approx 1lb 5oz:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/tic_tac_9mm_zps8389f55f.jpg

48, 22LR rounds, fit nicely into a Tic Tac case, 144 rounds weigh approx 1lb, 1oz:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/tic_tac_22LR_zps4fd42503.jpg

3 Tic Tac 9mm cases, will refill a Keltec PF9 six times, (7+1 divide by 48):

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/tic_tac_9mm_kel1_zps29258d59.jpg

A Keltec PF9 w/full mag (7rd) and 3 Tic Tac 9mm cases weighs, 2lb 8 oz, that is 55 rounds total (48 rounds + 7 round mag)! :

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/tic_tac_9mm_kel2_zps8880daeb.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold;">For what its worth, nine .223 rounds fit in the "Tic Tac" case (w/bulging), not sure how practical .223 is stored in this fashion? 9 rounds weigh approx 4oz:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/tic_tac_223_zps5d133a4c.jpg

Hopefully this thread will help/inspire those with a BOB concerned about weight, or perhaps even the ultralight backpackers out there.

Cheers
View Quote

I wish those pictures still worked.

@Blackoperations
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By walt_l:

VERY cool! I'd buy one if I knew where!!
View Quote

Couldn't you just get a bundle of paracord?  I don't think plastic bottle string is 500 pound test.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
You can make an axe handle out of a 2x4
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
Bigger is better. I put 10 heater guts in a 2 liter bottle and filed it 3/4 full of water. Threw it under my porch steps for safety. It blew the steps off my back porch and set off car alarms for blocks. The harder the plastic the better the explosion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
Posted by LARman0311;
You can also do this as an MRE "bomb". Same materiel, just don't drill a hole in the cap, dump the magniziume powder from the ration heart, dump in as much tobasco as you lik on to the magnezium, replace cap, shake up good and hard and give it a good toss. Once the pressure builds up in the bottle, POP!! Good way to spook folks, delay tactic, or even a super crude flashbang.
A heater and a little bit of water in a 2 liter bottle. Squeeze the bottle flat and it will inflate with hydrogen gas. I used to hold it upside down, unscrew the cap and let the crap drain out. Then I'd prop it upright (gas stays trapped inside) and light it with a rife cleaning qtip. A different kind of botte rocket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fatcat4620:
You can make an axe handle out of a 2x4
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ahz8sh.jpg
View Quote
And Indians made axe heads from rocks too!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Space blanket plus emergency candle for warmth.

Dig a small hole to put the candle in ensuring it has enough oxygen for the flame.

Stand or sit (stump, chair, bench, whatever) over the candle and wrap yourself and the candle in the space blanket.

That little flame will heat what's under the space blanket up rather well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: falfrenzy] [#20]
For those of us without automatic genset switchover during power outages, hang a glowstick on a string from your toilet paper holder.

Sucks being on the throne when the power goes out.

Seems to be that my smartphone is on the charger when this occurs, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
falfrenzy... when you get older, an LED task light (split key ring and cup hook near the toilet) allows you to hit your target without destroying your night vision

a trailer ball hitch on your riding mower,  for small utility trailer or log chain attachment

dedicated power strip to power all cell phone and battery chargers from one wall outlet (especially if you have a 120v single leg generator)... if you need to back feed a house panel, paint the necessary circuit breaker switches to identify them

a couple of frozen gallon jugs of water in your freezer for an emergency short term food preservation, and extra water
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I was gifted a Streamlight Stylus Pro for Christmas... the friend commented that the rubber end cap made activating the switch difficult, so he added a shim between the rubber and the actual switch... he used a hole punch to produce a chad from an old credit card of the same diameter as the recess in the rubber end cap... it added just enough thickness to work the switch easily....the end cap unscrews from the switch unit
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had a bit of trouble with my tired old feet. The top of my feet, especially my left one, began hurting after long walks to the point that I would almost limp. But I found out about 'LADDER LACING' your footwear. So after three days of wearing hiking boots and trail walking shoes the pain has almost disappeared; even after a 5 mile walk with my wife today. So if you're having trouble like I was, just look up 'Ladder Lacing' on Youtube and enjoy!

Hope it helps you as much as it did me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#24]
Just thought of this today when I was thinking of a way to fit fishing line into a BoB without bringing an entire spool.

Cut up a used giftcard into stripes and drill a hole in it (I wouldn't do center hole again, probably off to one end) and cut V notches into each end of the strip (a dremel with one of those bullet shaped sanding tips might work for this) I burned the V a little to try to remove any sharp edges left over from the initial cut.

Then I tied the line through the hole with a fisherman's knot and started wrapping the line around each end through the  V notch. I finished off by wrapping a piece of duck tape around the loose end and cut the line with a little dangler on that end exposed.

I'm sure you could figure out a way to make it not so warped... This was just a 5 minute craft. Makes a handy size for trip triggers or what not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
eta

Here's the straight dope on peeing on your feet.

from no less an expert than the immortal Cecil Adams.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arcticwarrior:
A quick cure for athlete's foot.  As long as your feet are not cracked to the point of bleeding that is.  Simply piss on your feet as soon as you get in the shower.  Then the last thing you do before getting out of the shower is wash your feet with soap.  It will help cure the foot fast and it's free.  I learned that tip when I was a young Paratrooper.  Thank God for Combat Medics.  They truly are some of the best.    I wear boots for at-least 10 hours a day and my feet sweat like crazy.   It sounds gross, but it's effective.
Combat medics have a great sense of humor, too. They like to treat urine-stained feet.
eta

Here's the straight dope on peeing on your feet.

from no less an expert than the immortal Cecil Adams.
I love reading old posts that being said. I wonder how many members here tried peeing on their feet
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#26]
The best therapy for athlete's foot (for me) is to mount a determined offensive on it. First of all, CONTAIN THAT CALLUS! Callus is (mostly) dead skin, and it cracks easily. Cracks are the method by which the fungus bypasses your body's first line of defense, i.e. your skin. So shave* and file the calluses, THEN apply the Tinactin or whatever antifungal cream you use.

I was surprised to find just how deep the cracks went.

*Yes I said SHAVE. There are callus shaving devices out there, usually found in the cosmetics department. After a bath or shower, when the skin is soft and wet, shave a few peels off your foot. You will be surprised at how much material you can take off without hurting your feet!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arcticwarrior:
See, now you ruined it.  It must have been psychosomatic because it has worked for me for years.    Now watch, it won't work anymore.  I have always known the medics have a great if not warped sense of humor as well.  
The best therapy for athlete's foot (for me) is to mount a determined offensive on it. First of all, CONTAIN THAT CALLUS! Callus is (mostly) dead skin, and it cracks easily. Cracks are the method by which the fungus bypasses your body's first line of defense, i.e. your skin. So shave* and file the calluses, THEN apply the Tinactin or whatever antifungal cream you use.

I was surprised to find just how deep the cracks went.

*Yes I said SHAVE. There are callus shaving devices out there, usually found in the cosmetics department. After a bath or shower, when the skin is soft and wet, shave a few peels off your foot. You will be surprised at how much material you can take off without hurting your feet!
Old post I know. But I remember exactly what you stated. I've had my feet shaved. I remember when going through RANGER SCHOOL.

I got recycled in the 1st phase. But instead of going back to battalion. I just stayed and started the next class the following week.

I started RANGER SCHOOL at 185lbs graduated at 134lbs. Being recycled in the 1st phase kick my butt.

In the Florida phase myself and a bunch of other Rangers made the mistake of taking our boots off after days of being in water to dry my feet and change socks. Our feet swelled so much we litterally could not even force our boots back on.

They were cracked and bleeding. So the medic made us go in to see doc. He took a scalpel and razor and did exactly what you stated.

Commenced shaving and cutting as much of the skin as possible off. Then sprayed I believe tough skin or something on it.

I could not believe how much skin he cut and shaved off. Moral of story. Do not remove your boots if in certain situations. You might not get them back on.

That year it rained way more than normal and alot of guys ended up having to be treated.

Ee did not want to go in. We felt like I was abandoning our team. It really bothered me and other Rangers. But we was back out the next morning.

Btw do not argue with an RI you might get a negative 1 lol.

They also did their best to keep us awake the whole time we were in, plus no you did not get anything to eat lol. This was in the early 80s Swamp FOX was our classes name.

I know this has more to do with trench foot/immersion foot. But shaving away the dead skin does help alot. After that I always carried tough skin and a razor in my kit.

But I'd die before I quit or got recycled in Florida phase. We all wanted back out immediately.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#27]
If you've ever had too sew up something that needed to hold and be tough (like a button on a pair of maybe too tight pants), try dental floss.  Dental floss is tough as hell and we all probably have a few rolls of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Ranger bands, small thick strong elastic bands.  I primarily  use them wrapped on my flashlight to give some anti slip grip and keeps the flashlight in my pocket better as well on my zippo.  They ignite pretty good, can be used to silence rattlingly gear, and as a makeshift slingshot band.

-P
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 2ndamendmentknights:
Space blanket plus emergency candle for warmth.

Dig a small hole to put the candle in ensuring it has enough oxygen for the flame.

Stand or sit (stump, chair, bench, whatever) over the candle and wrap yourself and the candle in the space blanket.

That little flame will heat what's under the space blanket up rather well.
View Quote

Learn the Trick this Survivalist uses to stay warm! Winter Survival, Survival Hacks, Survival Tips
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#30]
When fire starting from a ferry rod I like to use the brown natural fiber string and shred a small piece of it. To that I add small torn off pieces of duct tape.  The small pieces of duct tape burn like a match where the string burns up quickly.  I also use a pencil sharpener like to ones made for a carpenter pencils to make shavings from sticks for tender to get it started. The pencil sharpener  seems to be a really good choice compared to making feather sticks.

Also everyone here should understand what a Dakota Pit Fire is.  Two holes in the ground with a cross hole at the bottom. One side allows air to enter the other side is the fire.  There are times having your fire below ground where it is not visible can be good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Yes, but I use the 6mil bags. They're a good bit more but the thickness is significant and worthwhile in the situations I might actually need to use them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to heat near exclusively with firewood in winters up here in Alaska.  TP tubes stuffed with dryer lint, sawdust and candlewax make a hell of a cheap and effective firestarter in a pinch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Go to local bycycle shop and ask to buy a couple of USED inner tubes; possibly they will give them to you:  Make your own small Ranger Bands.

Need larger Ranger Bands?  Go to Motorcycle shop and do the same thing.

Need even larger Ranger Bands?  Try a car/truck tire shop.  Kinda tough to find car inner tubes, but some trucks still use them; you might get lucky.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By dab2:
I've had a bit of trouble with my tired old feet. The top of my feet, especially my left one, began hurting after long walks to the point that I would almost limp. But I found out about 'LADDER LACING' your footwear. So after three days of wearing hiking boots and trail walking shoes the pain has almost disappeared; even after a 5 mile walk with my wife today. So if you're having trouble like I was, just look up 'Ladder Lacing' on Youtube and enjoy!
View Quote

This was standard practice for the Brits on their ammo boots back in WW2. Also makes cutting the boot off a lot easier.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:

This was standard practice for the Brits on their ammo boots back in WW2. Also makes cutting the boot off a lot easier.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Originally Posted By dab2:

Ladder Lacing
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#36]
As far as hand tools go, especially pliers, having some parallel-jaw pliers can make a significant difference.  My parallel-jaw pliers are my go-to pliers, and I own many different types.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=parallel+jaw+pliers&;crid=35J26JI7N74IM&sprefix=parallel+jaw%2Caps%2C80&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_12

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Fun you should post this ad I was about to also.

When we travel we always pack a few of these, gallon ziplocks and quart zip locks.  We ALWAYS use them in some
manner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I have  started scavenging the thrift shops for clam shell eye glass cases that snap shut.
They can hod a basic first aid kit or sewing supplies.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]
MRE's have a lot of air in them, so I usually cut a small slit in the outer shell, squeeze the air out and the wrap it several times with 100mph tape.
Takes up less room, and let's you keep a couple extra feet of tape.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#40]
ON YOUR PERSON!
In an inside pocket of you have one. A Ferro rod, small sharp folding knife, and compass.
I keep all three and a peanut lighter on me for even the shortest of walks away from camp. Never be without those three things on your person in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jvm:
I have  started scavenging the thrift shops for clam shell eye glass cases that snap shut.
They can hod a basic first aid kit or sewing supplies.
View Quote

I have a couple, good thinking...
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By firemedic2000:

Old post I know. But I remember exactly what you stated. I've had my feet shaved. I remember when going through RANGER SCHOOL.

I got recycled in the 1st phase. But instead of going back to battalion. I just stayed and started the next class the following week.

I started RANGER SCHOOL at 185lbs graduated at 134lbs. Being recycled in the 1st phase kick my butt.

In the Florida phase myself and a bunch of other Rangers made the mistake of taking our boots off after days of being in water to dry my feet and change socks. Our feet swelled so much we litterally could not even force our boots back on.

They were cracked and bleeding. So the medic made us go in to see doc. He took a scalpel and razor and did exactly what you stated.

Commenced shaving and cutting as much of the skin as possible off. Then sprayed I believe tough skin or something on it.

I could not believe how much skin he cut and shaved off. Moral of story. Do not remove your boots if in certain situations. You might not get them back on.

That year it rained way more than normal and alot of guys ended up having to be treated.

Ee did not want to go in. We felt like I was abandoning our team. It really bothered me and other Rangers. But we was back out the next morning.

Btw do not argue with an RI you might get a negative 1 lol.

They also did their best to keep us awake the whole time we were in, plus no you did not get anything to eat lol. This was in the early 80s Swamp FOX was our classes name.

I know this has more to do with trench foot/immersion foot. But shaving away the dead skin does help alot. After that I always carried tough skin and a razor in my kit.

But I'd die before I quit or got recycled in Florida phase. We all wanted back out immediately.
View Quote

You were the lucky ones. USMC, WW II, guys came in after MONTHS with their boots on. In some cases the docs removed toes with pliers! Source: an elderly friend of my dad who witnessed it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Did not check to see if already posted but if you live in or near an urban area a universal silcock wrench will let you get water from those outside hose bibs on lots of buildings.

$11 at Home Depot.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top