User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Portable aircraft radio and either solid map skills or gps.  Nearly everything airborn listens to 121.5.  You start calling for help, they'll get someone to you as long as you can tell them where you are, which is why you need to know where you are.
View Quote

If you're going to spend the money on a radio, why wouldn't you just buy an emergency satellite beacon?  They're cheaper than air-band radios, and all you have to do is push a button and wait.  You don't even need to know where you are, because they transmit your GPS coordinates directly to the rescuers.  Some of you are really over-thinking this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you're going to spend the money on a radio, why wouldn't you just buy an emergency satellite beacon?  They're cheaper than air-band radios, and all you have to do is push a button and wait.  You don't even need to know where you are, because they transmit your GPS coordinates directly to the rescuers.  Some of you are really over-thinking this.
View Quote

This. ^^^

Buy a PLB. Register it.  Keep the batteries fresh.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This. ^^^

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. ^^^

For example...

McMurdo FAST FIND 220 Personal Locator Beacon  $238.69

https://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-Find-220-PLB/dp/B008OPJGBC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=personal+locator+beacon&link_code=qs&qid=1614105906&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-5&tag=mozilla-20

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
A few years back, a helicopter crew had to make a precautionary landing in a mountain valley.  They didn't have LOS comms back and couldn't hit a repeater from the valley.  They hailed a passing airliner on guard and had them relay their location back to their operations desk.

That said, for a real emergency, a PLB will send coords and an SOS to a rescue agency within seconds.  That is the logical primary method, if 911 doesn't work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]
An emergency PLB is a great tool if you travel solo in remote locations, where even basic survival could be difficult if you found yourself in a bad situation.

A satellite phone is pretty cheap nowadays as well and can be a great tool for the not-so-extreme situations.  You can definitely text from one, don't recall if you can do voice calls.  If you carry a GPS then you could text to your family/friends exactly where you are and communicate any needs.  And without the fuss of a rescue agency involved if their assistance isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Lasing an aircraft is not smart.  Using a laser to identify your position is a related, but different, idea.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
If you find yourself in a situation requiring signaling an aircraft, make sure you use the correct hand and arm signals and dont accidentally wave off the craft by signaling "All OK" like Carl McCunn did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_McCunn

"An Alaska State Trooper flew over the lake in late August and observed McCunn's campsite. The pilot did not sense McCunn was in distress, since he waved his orange sleeping bag very casually and, on his third pass of the campsite, he saw McCunn casually walking back to his tent. The State Trooper later testified he saw no reason to surmise McCunn needed any assistance.[1][4]

McCunn later wrote in his diary: "I recall raising my right hand, shoulder high and shaking my fist on the plane's second pass. It was a little cheer – like when your team scored a touchdown or something. Turns out that's the signal for 'ALL O.K. – DO NOT WAIT!' It's certainly my fault I'm here now! "
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Random SAR story:

I flew on a SAR case where some hikers activated a beacon.  We found them and saw no obvious signs of distress.  Everyone ambulatory and milling about.  Landing was going to be dicey, and we didn't want to if not absolutely necessary.  We dropped a message block to them that said "wave your yellow jacket if you're in distress."  They read it and did nothing.  No reaction.  We RTB'ed.  

We later found out from the park rangers that the hikers didn't know what "distress" meant.  They had all gotten wet crossing a stream and activated the beacon intentionally.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
NATO buzzsaw. Works with IR or regular Chem lights.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Independence Day sparklers are bright and you can start a fire even with wet wood.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Smoke and Flares do get attention if someone is in the area... with that in mind a dual purpose device similar to the Mk124 would be good to have in some scenarios. The closest civilian thing I can find is made by IKAROS, they call it Day & Night Signal Article 343200.

Orange smoke and red flare with a limited burn time but it is small and you would be more likely to carry it somehow.

Found it for anywhere between $100 and $150 a piece.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NATO buzzsaw. Works with IR or regular Chem lights.
View Quote

Do you know if that's a fairly recognizable distress signal outside military circles?

Kind of like the other posters story about a guy giving the "I m ok" wave off. ID hate for someone to show little interest because they didn't recognize I needed help.

I LOVE the idea of the buzz saw though and its easy to circumstantially carry all the parts (string and a chem light) you'd need for one. So I like that aspect too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
A big SOS and PLB are your best bets.  The large X is also well recognized.  

The buzz saw is more of an attention getter.

Again, there are two essential parts to this--1. Attracting attention 2. Getting the message across.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Smoke
Flares
Strobe
PLB
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
2. Smoke
3. Flares
4. Strobe
1. PLB
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2. Smoke
3. Flares
4. Strobe
1. PLB

^^^ This.   PLB every time.   It's like having a big billboard that says, "I need help right here".
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For my outdoor activities I tend to have a lot of variety in signalling gear. Glow sticks, mirrors, orange vest, etc. If I'm lost I'd like to be found.

I've thought of a couple of orange, light rip stop panels or, for lack of a better word, for ground to air signals. The type you see in all the survival books.

Only I just want a couple to more or less make an X.

I figure I can use active signalling to get attention and an X to pinpoint me.

How big should ground to air signals be? I know bigger is better, but what would be a good overall size for the panels?

Instead of mil type panels I'm thinking more a couple of long, light weight streamers that can be jammed in the corner of a pack until needed.

Thanks
View Quote

Kinda relevant to my last Friday/Saturday.  Missing subject located.  We treated for hypothermia.  Doc bedded down on one side of subject and I did on other.  At 0515 we got up at started clearing out a space for the helicopter lift point.

Helicopter had our coordinates but were unable to get a visual and requested smoke, which I don’t carry.  It took perhaps 10 minutes for them to locate us for lift.

Now I’m not going to carry a smoke to signal but even with my radio  directions it took a while for aircrew to locate us.

I was wearing a red jacket along with the rest of the team.

Maybe smoke in future.  Idk.

Fuel in helicopter is critical and limits loitering.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive got one of those McMurdos on my list but also thinking about some smoke myself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
If you’re in the SAR business, why wouldn’t you carry smoke?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]
For those interested in the relative effectiveness of various signals, check out appendix h of the Coast Guard addendum to the IAMSAR Manual. Someone from the USAF can probably chime in with an Air Force reference.

Edit to add:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/CG-5R/manuals/COMDTINST%20M16130.2F.pdf

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
746 pages.

Ill have to get comfortable and tuck in this eve.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Or you could just look at appendix h as I mentioned. Start with table h-20.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Or you could just look at appendix h as I mentioned. Start with table h-20.
View Quote

Interesting info. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#24]
you would do better to tie a glow stick to some 550 cord and twirl it around.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^^^ This.   PLB every time.   It's like having a big billboard that says, "I need help right here".
View Quote

And having that billboard fedexed to local agencies.  Worth its weight in gold if you need it, but I wouldn't carry one for the kind of stuff I usually do now (just not that far out).
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
A burning tire is the best signal I've ever seen from the air.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Day time signal mirror, smoke.

night a laser.
View Quote

I came to post this.

ETA if you use a laser, don’t aim or keep it steady on the cockpit. The pilot or crew will go eyes in the plane for protection.  You can rope, or draw a circle around the aircraft to get their attention, then lase a circle or symbol on the ground to highlight your location.  This would show your trying to draw attention, as oppose to just maliciously lasing an aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for that. I appreciate everyone's input. Getting some great info here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I came to post this.

ETA if you use a laser, don’t aim or keep it steady on the cockpit. The pilot or crew will go eyes in the plane for protection.  You can rope, or draw a circle around the aircraft to get their attention, then lase a circle or symbol on the ground to highlight your location.  This would show your trying to draw attention, as oppose to just maliciously lasing an aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Day time signal mirror, smoke.

night a laser.

I came to post this.

It's still a felony, and for good reason.   There are lots of better ways to signal that aren't felonies.

ETA: I just learned that there is an exception to the law for distress signalling.  Smarter every day...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/39A
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Garmin In-reach, it has texting as well.  No, I don't have one although I've thought about it since I'm usually alone.  In my pack I carry a small signal mirror, my headlamp has a strobe setting, I have fire making equipment and I use ranger bands on my stuff so I can make a smoky fire while burn some stuff down if I need to.  

In my truck I have a strobe (the one that clips to my kayaking pfd), road flares, and when I'm on the road I throw the marine signaling kit in there with the cheapy 12g flare gun, smoke signal and signal flag.  The truck has mirrors as well and I can always set a tire or five on fire if I need to.  The 12ga flares suck so make sure that you don't use it until the aircraft is nearby and be aware that you may attract a lot more attention than you want and have to run for your life if the stupid thing starts a forest fire, IOW, maybe not a great idea out west during the dry season.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top