BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy realestate with a 30 year low interest rate loan.
Pay it back with inflated dollars.
View Quote

Real estate has literally doubled in some markets in the last 2 years.  Remember 2008. Being underwater on a loan is not a good inflation hedge.  

That said if you already own property you could leverage it. Issue would be what to do with the cash.  

I’m just buying inventory for my business.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Plywood and 2x4s
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I had a compression fracture of L1 30 years ago.  Periodically I get a reminder that I was young and stupid.  You don't realize how debilitating back issues are until they hit.

Also, another answer to OP's question - a nicotine patch.  Seriously, if you smoke, kick the habit because between inflation and tax increases it's about to become a lot more expensive.  Almost every state is hurting financially and raising taxes on tobacco products is an easy, politically safe way to raise revenue.  MD yesterday just voted to increase the cig tax from $2 per pack to $3.75 per pack.  WV is looking at phasing out our income tax and increasing taxes on energy, alcohol, tobacco, and a potential new soda/sugary drink tax will replace it.
View Quote

for a few years, until it is needed to be reinstated with no reduction of the new taxes that "took it's place".
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

for a few years, until it is needed to be reinstated with no reduction of the new taxes that "took it's place".
View Quote

Exactly.

Politicians are devious.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL I know well how that game is played, but short term, using MD as an example, a one pack per day smoking habit will cost you about $1,370 just in state excise tax alone, that's not the total hit to your wallet.  That can offset a lot of inflation in the price of fuel or food.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Tools and the ability to provide for yourself.

Tools and the ability to provide for others, perhaps for barter or for building your community and network.

There is no real avoiding inflation, it'll hit us all sooner or later unless you're in the top couple percentage points and having your money's buying power halved is of no real concern.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the machine shop concept but you also need skill in using those machines.
View Quote

Yeah, not everyone is born knowing how to use tools like a mill
I've been doing electrical since I was born, never had to learn or anything .
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Consumables besides food.

Toilet paper, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, women sanitary products, face masks, laundry soap, dish soap, rubber gloves (to do dishes), spare medicine, aspirin, alcohol (especially small shot bottles for barter), tobacco (ever read a book about post WW II Germany?  Tobacco was their currency for a while), comestics (a lipstick can get you favors from a clerk if you need something done at townhall), heirloom seeds, etc.

Air filters (for furnace), oil filters and air filters (for car), motor oil, wiper blades.

Got pets?  Extra food for cat/dog.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Bringing this back up again since everyone can see prices are rising.  Stimulus spending causes prices to rise....who would have thought?  

Another part of the rising costs is nearly every business is hurting for employees...so the public has more money to spend but can't spend it on certain things because supply is way down.  

Good time to again consider what to buy now to avoid having to buy later when prices are a lot higher.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
don't forget basic home repair supplies. What kind of piping do you have in your home?? Do you have spare pipe, connectors, shark bites or whatever to make a repair? Spare faucet and shower cartridges?? Supply lines for sinks and toilets? A few tubes of silicone, caulk? A couple extra light switches, outlets, a spare GFCI?? Drywall repair, joint compound, tape, patches?? Bolts, nuts, nails, screws and adhesives?

Tools to make all of these repairs??

How about manual tools like sledgehammers, axes, hatchets, pick axes, wedges, mauls ect....
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Seeds
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
hehehehe! I hear ya. I once did surgery on myself. It didn't go well. Ended up in ER anyways!
-snip-
View Quote

@boerseun

Details?  Pics?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I like hard assets.
I buy 1oz of silver every weekend last week the guy was out of quarters .
I rolled 100 bux in quarters got 4 oz and last week he needed times.
I roed enough for 2 oz of silver.

Most times I just put up the cash but that was a excellent way to add to the Viking hoard without putting out of pocket direct.

Also a lot of the posts above are great.

Mad skillz & angry toolz will make a lot of money even now.

A few good running vehicle's if you can afford them without payments.
We do 3 when one breaks im at my leisure to fix it while i drive another. All  are paid for but one is still under warranty.
Last time it took me 6 weeks to get around to replacing a bad starter and i had the spare right there.
So many drive one car and when it dies are left in a panic.

Even though i live in town my place is like living in its own supply warehouse.
Wife has even suggested putting up yet a 3rd building in the back yard for more stuff to store away and have on hand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#15]
IMHO, Bitcoin is the best answer to this.  If the dollar is worth less through inflation, Bitcoin will increase in terms of dollars and it’s an easy and liquid store of value.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I still struggle with the concept of bit coin & other digital "currency".  While I understand how it works, I also continue to believe the Federal reserve will not give up it's monopoly of it's ability to create and issue federal reserve notes.  I fully expect the US Government to support the Federal Reserve.  I don't know how it will be addressed, but I am concerned.  Perhaps I am just an old guy, but I can not see how any of the digital currency's have any more intrinsic value over the federal reserve notes currently in use.  I understand there are only so many bitcoins possible.  However I do not understand what intrinsic value they actually have.  With a federal reserve note I can at least pay my taxes.

I am surprised that other governments (in particular China, but also the US and other first world countries) have not made these currency's illegal for use within their countries.  If companies within the countries were penalized for accepting these currency's what would their inherent value be?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm about to pay off the last of my debt, besides mortgage.  No more car payments or credit card.

I'm thinking of buying things that will get even scarcer or may be targeted by the administration.  Like night vision or suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
staples:   TP, soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, etc.   all this stuff never goes bad, you always need it and it only gets more expensive.  

backups:  light bulbs, batteries, oil, etc.  sooner or later whatever you have will break, it won't be repairable cuz progress (/sarc) and you'll need a spare.  that spare may not be available or may be to function reliably.  you may have noticed we are rapidly becoming a 3rd world nation.  

I’m going with this.... consumables. The stuff you use and will need today are what you will need tomorrow

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#19]
2 ways to look at this.  

New stuffs I need like some of the plumbing repair stuff and some basic stuff from the hardware store and yeah it is expensive now if you can even find it.

Used stuff that does not wear out if cared for.  Some older folks are getting out of reloading due to time, wrist problems, or lack of interest.  Some piece it out on here or elsewhere and some will just take a "buy it all" offer sometimes.

Back when dealerships were being closed and mechanics were getting laid off a decade or so ago a whole lot of expensive spiffy brand tool sets were up for sale.  Yeah even at 1/3 the price it was still expensive and the same time I can show you some differences between a snap-on ratchet vs. a generic craftsman ratchet.  

As some of the electronic tools for yardwork come out, ask around for old fuel using stuff.  May just need a carb rebuild or something.  I am looking at some of the electronic stuff for short jobs.  Right now I don't see them replacing the big stuff for all day jobs.

Whole lot of mechanics now only use electric tools, I used air tools and like an air compressor around for airing up tires and what not.  No telling what you might find if you start asking around and watching for sale ads.  Part of yard sales is looking at what they got and asking about other stuff.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm loading up on debt, going to buy a new tractor for the farm.  Should help keep my farm running reliably for another 20 years, current tractors are a little over 20.  Most of my land will be paid off in 12 years or so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, you can thank Californians for that.

View Quote

Damn straight.  They are driving up property taxes in most urban areas to the point people won't be able to afford owning a house.

As for buying here in case we secede, I hope we take Oklahoma with us...because that is where we bought affordable land.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#22]
In three weeks we are moving to the country on a small plot (3+ acres).  It has a huge unfinished basement for my wife’s business (with storm shelter), a large propane tank, and a 32x32 detached garage/shop.  I plan to add a generator at some point and chickens/goats.  Haven’t decided on garden plan, yet.

Paying off all of the credit cards and wife’s van.  I’ll have a truck payment still and I’m grabbing a compact tractor for 0% interest.  Those seem like things I’ll need and use for quite a while.

I need thermals, now....
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Fridge. Get a second one, or get a new primary one and make your old one the basement or garage fridge.
Chemical shortages means tough time spray foam insulating fridge cabinet, and all the plastic in them. Raw materials sky rocketing. Computer chips hard to get, and basically every nice residential fridge runs on one.
I suspect there will be a fridge shortage in the near future (there already kind of is one), and it's the one thing most take for granted that can break at the most inopportune time, and you don't want to be without one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I already have enough "stuff."  I have more do it yourself skills and ability's than most.  I am going to try and focus on saving some more money vs spending it.

Firewood is something I can put back without spending a bunch of money so I am going to focus on that.

Also going to focus on spending time with my wife and doing what we enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I sorted my metric bolts and cap screws today. I am going to fill in my gaps so I don't have to rely on local hardwares and big box stores to have what I need, and a basic cap screw can cost $1 or more each.

I didn't go so far as to inventory them but I did record the sizes and lengths I need to cover my bases.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think we all know inflation is a never ending issue but with the rapid expansion of the money supply I don’t see any way prices won’t rise in the near future.

So......what stuff would you buy NOW to head off future possible price rises?

I know food is always a concern but realistically, we are all going to pay the price when we go to buy food. I’m thinking more like durable goods, tools, home repair, appliances....things like that.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Not the answer you want to hear, but you need a freeze drier. You can by chicken on sale cheaper today than you will be able to in the future. That's a given.

I understand that the cost is a barrier-it was for me, I'm borrowing the one I'm using-but I'll purchase one as soon as my friend decides he needs it back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bitcoin. It cannot be manipulated like a centralized banking note and is expressly designed to be deflationary rather than inflationary. Diversify your assets.
View Quote

We live in a country where pulling $10k out of the bank or putting it in requires your bank to rat you out for potential criminal behavior.. Crypto is being tolerated because it is serving someone's needs *at this moment*. Once it no longer does, you will no longer be allowed to trade with it, Period. This country can't run without a way to tax you, if a day came where the Dollar's primacy were ever threatened, you'd see IRS agents burning peopleEconomic Terrorists in their homes during raids to convince people to forget about the idea of anything to do with crypto.

Personally, I think it's being used to launder ill-gotten gains by the elite and when they are done the people holding the bag will be well and truly fucked.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I posted in Buckdelta19s thread buy postal stamps if you use them
They are bound to increase in cost
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In all honesty? Debt. I'm not buying a damn thing...just nuking debt where I can.
Debt nearly killed me after shit went sideways in SA. You can live off very little if you don't have a mortgage or car nite. Now you add utilities and food on top of debt and you are hosed when your money is near worthless.
So finding ways to minimize your dependence on utility companies and no debt gets my vote.
Well, solar power, large propane tank...those kind of things.
View Quote

Fixed debt/fixed costs vs variable costs.

I'm not in a hurry to pay off my car or house at 1% and 2% respectively, but I sure as shit am doing my best reducing any variable costs in the short term, and putting that new found capital towards other things (water storage, home genny, etc.).

The rest is going into commodities, companies with earnings that will increase in an inflationary setting, crypto, and cash/silver/gold to take advantage of whatever deals come up.

There are alot of opportunities that are about to come up. Just keep your powder dry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If that is a concern, buy 1/2, 1/4 or 1/10 eagles and add silver.
View Quote

Store indefinitely, easy to convert to cash or other valuable items in trade:  bottles of whiskey, vodka, etc.

They take up more volume and weight than PM's, but are much more easily convertible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I built a machine shop so I can make money while you guys are all selling off your preps because shtf was a slow, grinding depression instead of a instant collapse.....

Buy tools that will allow you to market your skills directly to the community instead of going through a business that may cease to exist.

Having staples and clothing and durable goods is great. Homesteading is a very worthy goal. Once you eat the food and wear the clothes there must be a plan to live on.

We actually had a great depression and Biden whole heartedly wants another one.
View Quote

Yes, yes....    

We think alike.  

Preps are important, but being able to provide services that people will need in those conditions will be a hugely valuable source of income.  (even if it is bartered items and not cash)
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, yes....    

We think alike.  

Preps are important, but being able to provide services that people will need in those conditions will be a hugely valuable source of income.  (even if it is bartered items and not cash)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I built a machine shop so I can make money while you guys are all selling off your preps because shtf was a slow, grinding depression instead of a instant collapse.....

Buy tools that will allow you to market your skills directly to the community instead of going through a business that may cease to exist.

Having staples and clothing and durable goods is great. Homesteading is a very worthy goal. Once you eat the food and wear the clothes there must be a plan to live on.

We actually had a great depression and Biden whole heartedly wants another one.

Yes, yes....    

We think alike.  

I've already started doing odd jobs in my spare time fixing things for my Amish neighbors. When I fixed a feed cart dolly it was wonderful to grab the bolts that I replaced off the shelf and do the job. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to afford buying a bunch of stock in steel of various sizes to make replacement parts without needing to constantly drive to get stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think we all know inflation is a never ending issue but with the rapid expansion of the money supply I don’t see any way prices won’t rise in the near future.

So......what stuff would you buy NOW to head off future possible price rises?

I know food is always a concern but realistically, we are all going to pay the price when we go to buy food. I’m thinking more like durable goods, tools, home repair, appliances....things like that.
View Quote

Land ... because they ain't making anymore of it.

And specifically clean, clear, undeveloped land. I'd say a minimum tract of 12 acres.

Even if you never built on it, down the road some rich guy looking for a rural homestead, or maybe a developer looking to piece together some 3-4 acre parcels,  will want to throw cash at you to get it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Damn straight.  They are driving up property taxes in most urban areas to the point people won't be able to afford owning a house.

As for buying here in case we secede, I hope we take Oklahoma with us...because that is where we bought affordable land.
View Quote

My feeling is that if Texas secedes, quite a few of the nearby states will enthusiastically join them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The rest is going into commodities, companies with earnings that will increase in an inflationary setting, crypto, and cash/silver/gold to take advantage of whatever deals come up.

There are alot of opportunities that are about to come up. Just keep your powder dry.
View Quote

@Curdmugeon45

What companies do you expect will have good earnings in an inflationary setting?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Invest in preventive maintenance for your own health.  Are you up to date on vaccines for tetanus, chicken pox, shingles, etc?  Are you due for an overall wellness exam or other screenings (e.g. colonoscopy) you should get as you age?  Between the typical inflation we'll be seeing due to the devaluation of the dollar plus all of the illegals being let into the country, you know that the price of health care is going to climb faster than the overall inflation rate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@Curdmugeon45

What companies do you expect will have good earnings in an inflationary setting?
View Quote

not the person tagged but I would imagine stuff that is non-discretionary. So if a recession hits hard people won't be going out to eat or ordering door dash, but eating Kraft mac and cheese, shopping more at grocery stores, oil will keep pace with prices, that kind of thing.

Also some banks will profit it's just a matter of picking which.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#39]
In this thread we have everything from pay off all debt, to leverage as much as you can and repay the debt in the future with inflated money.  Thread also reads like a SHTF.  I assume we are talking about accelerated inflation and not economic collapse.  

Other countries have gone through massive inflation in the recent past.  I wonder what actually worked for those people, the middle class in those situations.  

I do not know how to get that information.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In this thread we have everything from pay off all debt, to leverage as much as you can and repay the debt in the future with inflated money.  Thread also reads like a SHTF.  I assume we are talking about accelerated inflation and not economic collapse.  

Other countries have gone through massive inflation in the recent past.  I wonder what actually worked for those people, the middle class in those situations.  

View Quote

The successful people in other countries used USD or PMs to buy essentials and GTFO as soon as they could. There isn't anywhere better to leave.

Maybe Texas?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

What "works" (if anything can be considered working) for the middle class is to have the limited ability to keep up with inflation.  Either by having the ability to get by without purchasing goods and services at the new increased prices, or by having knowledge and skills that are tradable for labor, goods, or services at the new inflated prices.  In time, all stored supplies will run out, spoil, or be stolen.  Having the knowledge and skills are therefor the better option, but it is foolish to ignore the wisdom of stocking up on items that are in common use in you area for bartering, for personal use, or usable by you for value added processing for yourself or others.  This is particularly true if such items are available now but you expect prices to  increase greatly later.

As far as getting the education, you can look at modern day Venezuela, or historical records / books.  Such as Adam Fergusson's "Death of Money" some stories, lots of financial information Germany 1920's & 30's.  Benjamin Roth's "the Great Depression - a diary" more stories from a first hand record than financial information.  Blockade - the diary of an Austrian middle class woman is available as a free PDF online.  There are many other worthwhile books as well.  

You know your own situation better than anyone else, what items, skills, or abilities do you have to offer your neighbors if your money had limited to no value? - Because that is how you will survive better than some others.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We live in a country where pulling $10k out of the bank or putting it in requires your bank to rat you out for potential criminal behavior.. Crypto is being tolerated because it is serving someone's needs *at this moment*. Once it no longer does, you will no longer be allowed to trade with it, Period. This country can't run without a way to tax you, if a day came where the Dollar's primacy were ever threatened, you'd see IRS agents burning peopleEconomic Terrorists in their homes during raids to convince people to forget about the idea of anything to do with crypto.

Personally, I think it's being used to launder ill-gotten gains by the elite and when they are done the people holding the bag will be well and truly fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bitcoin. It cannot be manipulated like a centralized banking note and is expressly designed to be deflationary rather than inflationary. Diversify your assets.

My 15 y/o son is adamant that the .gov will never be able to regulate/tax cryptos.  I've tried explaining to him that the .gov will never allow people the freedom to make money w/out getting a piece of the action.  He says cryptos are untraceable, I said the .gov will find a way to regulate them same as the dollar.

He asked me to open an account at Binance.com so he could trade DOGE.  I made sure he understood he could lose his money if it goes down.  He understands the risks and is willing to take them so I opened an account.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My 15 y/o son is adamant that the .gov will never be able to regulate/tax cryptos.  I've tried explaining to him that the .gov will never allow people the freedom to make money w/out getting a piece of the action.  He says cryptos are untraceable, I said the .gov will find a way to regulate them same as the dollar.

He asked me to open an account at Binance.com so he could trade DOGE.  I made sure he understood he could lose his money if it goes down.  He understands the risks and is willing to take them so I opened an account.
View Quote

I do not understand this well, but I thought the entire blockchain that makes up the individual crypto currency also provides / proves the traceability of that individual bitcoin from the time of inception through every transaction, until the current time.  I still do not believe that the government will allow indefinitely the use of this alternative money.  While it it's self may not be regulated, the use of it will be.  No authoritarian government can allow it's citizens freedom from control.  This is what cripto currency promotes.  A few people will become extremely rich using cripto.  Many will loose their investment.

As far as taxing the cripto, perhaps he should look at a 1040 form.  In particular just under the identifying information on page one: "At any time in 2020 did you receive, sell, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency.   Yes   NO

Before deciding how to answer that, remember that Crypto is designed to be traceable through every transaction, and answer one question.  What crime was Al Capone convicted of?

My 18 year old son is also investing in this.  I expect him to loose money, and gain an education.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Staples and basics. reduced expenses will help you survive
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#45]
When we move this month, I’m paying off unsecured debt, and then buying a tractor, a few tools, welder (again), .etc which will help with my gardens and ability to repair my own stuff.  I’ll also be buying things that’ll help my wife’s business grow.

Otherwise, I’m not wasting money on nonsense anymore.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have more do it yourself skills and ability's than most.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ditto!

Just a few items:
Today I repaired a Little Wonder Cultivator and a Sears Tiller for a friend.  
Prior to that I refinished a beautiful Solid oak dining room table that was found in the trash.
Getting ready to plant the garden for some canning later on.
Recently rebuilt and aligned the front end of a Chevy truck to include upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, brake pads/rotors, booster/master cylinder and new brake lines then an alignment all in my driveway.

Quoted:
I am going to try and focus on saving some more money vs spending it.

That is important!

We have become a buy it new society instead of using what we have.  It is too easy to buy stuff today without leaving the house.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ditto!

Just a few items:
Prior to that I refinished a beautiful Solid oak dining room table that was found in the trash.
Recently rebuilt and aligned the front end of a Chevy truck to include upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, brake pads/rotors, booster/master cylinder and new brake lines then an alignment all in my driveway.

That is important!

We have become a buy it new society instead of using what we have.  It is too easy to buy stuff today without leaving the house.

Bill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto!

Just a few items:

Quoted:
I am going to try and focus on saving some more money vs spending it.

That is important!

Bill

So true!

I just repaired a co-workers generator and was gifted a little cash for my work.  Its a good feeling that's for sure.  I have been doing good on the spending front and only getting a few things I need vs random crap I want.  Just need to keep it up for the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I still struggle with the concept of bit coin & other digital "currency".  While I understand how it works, I also continue to believe the Federal reserve will not give up it's monopoly of it's ability to create and issue federal reserve notes.  I fully expect the US Government to support the Federal Reserve.  I don't know how it will be addressed, but I am concerned.  Perhaps I am just an old guy, but I can not see how any of the digital currency's have any more intrinsic value over the federal reserve notes currently in use.  I understand there are only so many bitcoins possible.  However I do not understand what intrinsic value they actually have.  With a federal reserve note I can at least pay my taxes.

I am surprised that other governments (in particular China, but also the US and other first world countries) have not made these currency's illegal for use within their countries.  If companies within the countries were penalized for accepting these currency's what would their inherent value be?
View Quote

I don't struggle at all-I know it's a bad deal for me. Sure, some people who took risk and got in early have made significant amounts of money on paper-but I think the relative difficulty in getting out with cash is something of a barrier that keeps people in the game.

Great idea on paper, but IMHO, Crypto is being Tolerated for the time being while people launder their ill-gotten gains and the deep state moves large amounts of money to fund wars and funds the drug trade. If you brush off or ignore everything else in this post, as ASK YOURSELF why Crypto is allowed in a society where the government forces banks to rat you out when you withdraw or deposit more than $10k at a time and will criminally charge your ass if you Structure the withdrawals and deposits to avoid those reporting requirements? How does that work?

When the merry-go-round stops, a whole lot of people are going to be ass-out. It has to. Eventually EVERYONE will move to Crypto if it continues as it has and then the .gov is starved for taxes-that shit won't fly, and you WILL catch a felony for trying to evade those taxes. I don't see any form of untraceable money moving lasting very long. At it's core, aside from providing for a Common Defense, the role of government is purely to take money from some and give to others. That's it. When they can't do that anymore, they will act and won't give a shit if you lose a fortune.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm loading up on debt, going to buy a new tractor for the farm.  Should help keep my farm running reliably for another 20 years, current tractors are a little over 20.  Most of my land will be paid off in 12 years or so.
View Quote

I think a lot of us would do well to look at our homes. I know I could use a new roof, but my finishing out my cabin and getting a well has priority.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like I just double-posted on myself, lol. I've been having this conversation a lot lately with people, forgive me!

Ask him how "untraceable" it is if he had to have an adult open an account for him. There's a reason he had to have someone do it and I'm betting your name is associated with the transactions he makes from here out.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top