Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a machine shop so I have a source of income outside of my job so I can make a living if Biden destroys my job. It wasn't a popular thread. Lol!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@CheeseBeast

You'll like how easy it is to use. When it arrives, set it up and run some water through it so you know how it all works. Get a handful of buckets. You need one to haul the dirty water, one with the filter system hooked to it and at least one for the clean filtered water. A couple extra don't hurt. And label the buckets so you don't mix up the potable water buckets with dirty water buckets.

I also bought a couple of the Sawyer Mini filters. Nice to have drinkable water when you're traveling in a shtf world.

I knew a guy once that lived in this neck of the woods who had a totally off-grid solar powered home. Even on cloudy days it would at least trickle charge the batteries. But without outside power you have to be really careful about what you're running. Completely off-grid is a completely different lifestyle.
View Quote

Thanks Coop.
It really fills a need that I have overlooked for an egregiously long time.  I have a Bison hand pump with threaded drop pipes ready to go to draw water out of my well in the worst of SHTF conditions, but nothing to treat a hand-dug well that I have begun that started as a seasonal spring I found on my property.  Water really is life.

I will buy a bunch more food-safe buckets to keep on hand.

My buddy in Arizona has been telling me interesting things about a 48v solar system with lithium batteries.  The lithium batteries are !!expensive!! but he was telling me about the deep discharge capabilities of lithium batteries that would make conventional lead/acid batteries into expensive bricks.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sounds like the particular cans were the problem not the fact that they were metal. I dislike the original wide mouth US jerry cans but the actual NATO cans are awesome. You’ll never have condensation in a NATO can.

NATO doesn’t standardize everything. Ammo and fuel....mostly yes. NATO countries have different weapons and vehicles and aircraft than we do so it’s not unusual they use different fuel cans than the US does.

You will still find some old metal cans floating around in US military motor pools and still being used but the current can for the US is the plastic Scepter can.

That said, I’m sure the VP cans are good too. I’ve never owned any but I have heard plenty of good stuff about them.  I stored gas and diesel for a long time in plastic Scepter cans. I just think gas is a little safer when stored in metal cans vs plastic which is part of the reason I switched to metal NATO cans.

View Quote

Perhaps.  Army cans were the only small ones also used 55 gal drums and a 500 gal tank.

You’re incorrect on seeing them kicking around now days.  The adapter for the plastic Army fuel can doesn’t fit on the metal one. I’ve haven’t seen a metal can in a motorpool and with my job I’m fairly familiar with motorpools We did have them for arctic heaters in ‘99-01 but even then chances were your tent had hardware for the plastic can not the metal one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Perhaps.  Army cans were the only small ones also used 55 gal drums and a 500 gal tank.

You’re incorrect on seeing them kicking around now days.  The adapter for the plastic Army fuel can doesn’t fit on the metal one. I’ve haven’t seen a metal can in a motorpool and with my job I’m fairly familiar with motorpools We did have them for arctic heaters in ‘99-01 but even then chances were your tent had hardware for the plastic can not the metal one.
View Quote

I spent 20 years in the USMC. Retired a few years ago. I’ve seen a few metal cans still being used for fuel during my career.

Comparing 55 gallon drums and 500 gallon tanks to 20L Jerry cans is like comparing apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I spent 20 years in the USMC. Retired a few years ago. I’ve seen a few metal cans still being used for fuel during my career.

Comparing 55 gallon drums and 500 gallon tanks to 20L Jerry cans is like comparing apples to oranges.
View Quote

I’d say thanks for your service...but your always a Marine or some such I hit 24 years in May, Army.

And I’m still not emotionally involved in plastic vs steel it’s just my opinion...and opinions are like Marines, they’re pain in the arse.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top