Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My budgetary limitations are a stick for now. I'll buy a multi process machine later with mig and tig. Right now I can get a decent stick for $279 and spend the next year learning or I can wait until I can afford the better machine.

35% of all money printed in US history was printed in the last 10 months. I don't want to wait to see how much it will cost next year.
View Quote

I didn't realize there was such a price disparity. For that price I would do just as you are as well. Heck, I have a really nice inverter tig but that price on the stick is tempting me to go get one just so I don't have to switch the cables over on my tig, haha!
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I didn't realize there was such a price disparity. For that price I would do just as you are as well. Heck, I have a really nice inverter tig but that price on the stick is tempting me to go get one just so I don't have to switch the cables over on my tig, haha!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My budgetary limitations are a stick for now. I'll buy a multi process machine later with mig and tig. Right now I can get a decent stick for $279 and spend the next year learning or I can wait until I can afford the better machine.

35% of all money printed in US history was printed in the last 10 months. I don't want to wait to see how much it will cost next year.

Nice and small so it can be grab and go too!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Welding in the cold is not so easy. Everything went great until the hood fogged up completely opaque.  

Lol! I'm liking the 6013 rod so far.  My last of 5 welds started out sweet until I couldn't see anymore. Then I long arc'd and the weld stopped building so nice.

I could barely see both tries with 6011. I had to back off the amps from 90 to around 80 but I'm new.... you can't feel out the whip stitch thing when you're blowing a big keyhole ahead of your weld. Add in blindness....

Sorry. No pics of my embarrassing first stick welds in 22 years
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I sold a Hultafors Classic Hunting Axe on Ebay for $153. That bought a 10 pack of 3/8" 4 flute carbide endmills. I can't take those endmills to the woods and do cool stuff with them. I can't take pictures to show off to my friends. I won't impress anyone with my "Book of Eli" survival skills.

What I can do is turn hundreds of pounds of steel into chips with them. I'll order a 10 pack of 2 flute cobalt on my next pay for aluminum. Then I'll order one pack of 1/2" in 2 and 4 flute. Once I have my stock I'll be able to take on jobs without ordering anything standard. That will put me in a good position later on. It will just take time and significant investment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My ceiling will be insulated tomorrow. I'll pick up the drywall next week.  Then I'll start working on the outside walls, then the inside.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My ceiling will be insulated tomorrow. I'll pick up the drywall next week.  Then I'll start working on the outside walls, then the inside.
View Quote

Good deal! Keep us updated!

BTW, I'm seriously considering the HF Titaniun stick welder you got to supplement my nice TIG. It's on sale right now for $239 for club members which means even if you aren't a member you can still save $10 by joining...and what's not to like about that? A 16 lb, dual input voltage 225A stick welder is something everyone should have. It does have a really low duty cycle but that's not too critical unless you're running a lot of beads on heavy metal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BTW, I'm seriously considering the HF Titaniun stick welder you got to supplement my nice TIG. It's on sale right now for $239 for club members which means even if you aren't a member you can still save $10 by joining...and what's not to like about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, I'm seriously considering the HF Titaniun stick welder you got to supplement my nice TIG. It's on sale right now for $239 for club members which means even if you aren't a member you can still save $10 by joining...and what's not to like about that?

That's what I did but I also used the 15% coupon on another purchase
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hold up, are you saying a coupon works on that too?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Stocking up on various sizes and shapes of O1 tool steel isn't a terrible idea.  I like O1 because it is so cheap it is almost free, and it has a low austenitizing temperature for hardening.

I like heat treating small parts in molten salt.  The power consumption is low for a small salt pot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the nicer welding gloves for 15% off. Lol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stocking up on various sizes and shapes of O1 tool steel isn't a terrible idea.  I like O1 because it is so cheap it is almost free, and it has a low austenitizing temperature for hardening.

I like heat treating small parts in molten salt.  The power consumption is low for a small salt pot.
View Quote

All the steel i see is expensive as hell..... where are you getting cheap O1?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In time. Lumber is extremely expensive right now. I can wait until it comes down.
View Quote

I did my whole garage (26 x 30) for under 1200 bucks(including 7 LED shop lights, compressor hose reel, and reel extension cord in the middle of ceiling (just danm handy, saves 1 minute every single time I use it, never tangles, I love it). I only had to buy insulation, drywall, screws("sue oyu can get by with only 5 lbs... LOL I should have gotten 8) , mud , tape and knife.  This was back in march too during the initial "lock it down" phase. The hardware store agreed to drive it ot my house and unload it if i bought over 1000 bucks.

That set up looks expensive and prone to getting rusty if it gets moist, id imagine that an unheated space would be less than ideal for long term storeage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I did my whole garage (26 x 30) for under 1200 bucks(including 7 LED shop lights, compressor hose reel, and reel extension cord in the middle of ceiling (just danm handy, saves 1 minute every single time I use it, never tangles, I love it). I only had to buy insulation, drywall, screws("sue oyu can get by with only 5 lbs... LOL I should have gotten 8) , mud , tape and knife.  This was back in march too during the initial "lock it down" phase. The hardware store agreed to drive it ot my house and unload it if i bought over 1000 bucks.

That set up looks expensive and prone to getting rusty if it gets moist, id imagine that an unheated space would be less than ideal for long term storeage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In time. Lumber is extremely expensive right now. I can wait until it comes down.

I've had machines in unheated spaces for 25 years. It is really not a huge deal that most folks think it is. Oil is your friend.  A patina on a cast iron surface is no crime.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Not too bad for a sick guy with his wife using a push broom to help. Lots of stretching and twisting to get around the machines. It ain't perfect but I'm happy.

An Amish friend has a brother who has a drywall jack. I made him a pump shaft on my lathe a while back and now he is going to see if he can borrow it and help me get the 5 sheets of drywall hung on the ceiling. I may see if I can pay his brother to do it. 5 sheets with minimal cuts. Should take an hour.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]
This wall and the stuff to do one more 8 ft section cost $200. Crazy expensive. 11 - 2x4x10s and 4 - 2x4x8s, one bundle of insulation and 5 lbs of screws.

I should have the 20 ft wall up the day after Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This wall and the stuff to do one more 8 ft section cost $200. Crazy expensive. 11 - 2x4x10s and 4 - 2x4x8s, one bundle of insulation and 5 lbs of screws.

View Quote

Dang! I insulated my entire 30x30 shop (4 walls & roof) for $1200 3 years ago. That was R22.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dang! I insulated my entire 30x30 shop (4 walls & roof) for $1200 3 years ago. That was R22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just did the math. It will be another $250 to build and insulate the 20 ft wall and buy drywall for the back wall and ceiling.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
a mini mill and mini lathe are on my want list, as is a mig welder.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
a mini mill and mini lathe are on my want list, as is a mig welder.
View Quote

Don't look at the Proxxon mini lathe.....not the smallest one but the 250 model.....

I went and bought enough lumber to build the two new walls. I'll have to build the door myself because I want a 4 ft door. I've got enough insulation to finish the project or close to it. I'm hoping to have use of the drywall jack on Saturday morning. My nephew will help me frame the walls on Saturday afternoon.  

It will take a while to finish framing the steel sided walls and insulate and drywall. At least it will be quite a bit warmer as I finish out the project. My next machining project will be much nicer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I now have 4 walls. The new walls are insulated and drywalled inside. I should have the outside steel walls studded and insulated tomorrow. I'll have to decide if I can afford the rest of the drywall. I need another 10 sheets at $10 each.

I have a tarp for a door until I can spend the $80 it will cost to build it. Everything is extremely expensive right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Getting closer. 3 more 10 ft sheets of drywall to wrestle and some electrical. Then build a door.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#22]
My drywall skills are terrible.... but it's done on the inside. I have a bit left to do outside. Still needs a door too. I might build that tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#23]

It is weather sealed and I bought a heater that has an anti freeze setting. I'll see how it works out when I go out in the morning.  After 6 days of hard work I actually have some machining to do tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#24]
The shop project is done. History. It is now simply one of many assets. It has been 25 years in the making.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The shop project is done. History. It is now simply one of many assets. It has been 25 years in the making.
View Quote

Looks great!  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Today I went to my favorite bolts by the pound place and bought some more nuts and washers for $1.50 lb. I am lacking in fine thread nuts so I started buying those. I'll spread out my purchases over a few visits.

I also bought a bunch of used split thread cutting dies for $5 lb. Those are a huge deal when repairing slightly damaged threads. I have wanted to buy dies for over a year and now I'm a big part of the way there.  I even bought a nice die handle too.

I just keep improving my capability to thrive long term.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top