Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not bet a lot of money on ozone being as effective as time and proper humidity, especially if you can supplement that with sunlight or the correct sort of UV.

-
View Quote
Please explain the basis for your belief...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I see a lot of PPE discussion, but not as much discussion on potential disruptions of supply for consumer goods.  *If* the situation with manufacturing is as dire as some suggest, there could be some serious impacts as suppliers begin to run out of stock.

Electronics, batteries, plastic products, various soaps/cleaners, etc.

Are you all stocking up on consumer goods?  I mean, worst case, it gets used eventually anyway.

This situation finally spurred me to invest in a small solar set-up/battery bank for powering devices and recharging batteries.  I also picked up more 18650s and more rechargable AA/AAAs for powering lights, etc.  Been on my list for a while, but I figured this was a good time.
View Quote
Way ahead of the pack flock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ordered food 2 weeks ago.
Still hasn't shipped.

Debating about buying locally.

Is sams club out?
View Quote
Might help if you mentioned what you ordered....
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ordered food 2 weeks ago.

Still hasn't shipped.

Debating about buying locally.

Is sams club out?
View Quote
The 2 Sam's clubs in my city are business as usual. I've been a couple times in the past 2 weeks to top off reserves. I paid attention to people's carts and they are buying the usual junk food, etc. Doesn't look like anyone is concerned yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably a laughably stupid question, but I don't know so I thought I'd ask.

I have a 3m half mask with p100 cartridges. I was wondering last night about fixing a small blower fan by hose to the inlet of a filter to force air through the filter and into the mask.  If there was enough flow it might make the mask positive pressure which I would think would be advantageous. By connecting the fan before the filter, if anything fails I could just breathe normally with no compromise to the filter.

I work with jet engines so the answer is always more airflow

Edit: I was inspired by This, but I'm suggesting leaving the filter connected to the mask and putting the blower before the filter. Just not sure how well it will push air through vs pulling it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a 3m half mask with p100 cartridges. I was wondering last night about fixing a small blower fan by hose to the inlet of a filter to force air through the filter and into the mask.  If there was enough flow it might make the mask positive pressure which I would think would be advantageous. By connecting the fan before the filter, if anything fails I could just breathe normally with no compromise to the filter.

Edit: I was inspired by This, but I'm suggesting leaving the filter connected to the mask and putting the blower before the filter. Just not sure how well it will push air through vs pulling it.
View Quote
I don’t know how you’d get it to work with a pancake filter. A cartridge might work? Looks like you need a 3D printer to make the connections.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don’t know how you’d get it to work with a pancake filter. A cartridge might work? Looks like you need a 3D printer to make the connections.
View Quote
I have cartidge filters.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd be careful how much positive pressure you throw at your lungs.

I'd be more concerned with getting full face respirators with extra filters and a decon routine worked out.
View Quote
I agree it's not a high priority, just thought it might be useful if it wasn't too much trouble to print an adapter. Good point about positive pressure, I don't know anything about that.

Oh well just a thought. Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Regular soap will kill this virus should it be on the mask?
View Quote
you dont want soap on the mask when you are done washing.
but yes, that is the standard way to clean and disinfect a mask.
you can use detergent too, they make several specifically for masks, but they get spendy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I see a lot of PPE discussion, but not as much discussion on potential disruptions of supply for consumer goods.  *If* the situation with manufacturing is as dire as some suggest, there could be some serious impacts as suppliers begin to run out of stock.

Are you all stocking up on consumer goods?  I mean, worst case, it gets used eventually anyway.

This situation finally spurred me to invest in a small solar set-up/battery bank for powering devices and recharging batteries.  I also picked up more 18650s and more rechargable AA/AAAs for powering lights, etc.  Been on my list for a while, but I figured this was a good time.
View Quote
I would guess most people in this forum are already stocked up and have accounted for not needing outside resupply for some time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
more important to make sure you have a good seal
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay, putting this out for input from others more knowledgeable than I:

Q: Would ozone/O3 be effective for disinfecting N95 masks w/o seriously degrading the mask itself? I ask 'cause the wife has a SoClean for her CPAP machine and I was thinking it might make a good make-shift cleaner for our masks/goggles each day. If not I'll resort to open-bagging them aside from the clean zone for a couple of weeks and let nature take care of it while we use spares during that time.

We have a small utility room w/washer & dryer to pass through from the garage to the rest of the house. It occurred to me it might be converted to an impromptu decon station.
Specifically, block off the floor vent, leave the exhaust fan on 24/7 to achieve a constant slight negative pressure in the room. Remove everything from the room not used for decon.
When coming home (gloves, mask, goggles), leave coat in the garage. Remove shoes & spray soles w/70% alcohol. Leave shoes in garage.
Enter utility room, everything but gloves, mask, goggles goes into washer w/detergent & Lysol Disinfectant additive.
Mask/goggles go into SoClean?
Spray gloves w/70% alcohol or wipe down w/Lysol Disinfectant wipes, carefully discard into covered bucket. Clean hands w/hand sanitizer.
Thorough shower.

In the morning, garage would be entered from the garage door via the keypad (after donning fresh gloves, mask, goggles), shoes & coat retrieved w/o entering the utility room.
This is just a rough plan, I welcome any constructive input on how this might be improved. I have no illusions that this setup would eliminate all possibility of contamination but am hoping to reduce the odds of such.
Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first thought is if in the increased rate/pressure of flow through the filter would reduce the filter efficiency.

A filter designed to handle X negative pressure from the interior may not perform the same when exposed to Y positive pressure from the exterior.

Not a maskologisurgionaut.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would guess most people in this forum are already stocked up and have accounted for not needing outside resupply for some time.
View Quote
This thread is for prep discussions redirected here from the GD thread, no?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what got me thinking about this. If the airflow is high enough, filtered air would leak OUT of any gaps instead of letting any outside air out.

Just a random shower thought lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My first thought is if in the increased rate/pressure of flow through the filter would reduce the filter efficiency.

A filter designed to handle X negative pressure from the interior may not perform the same when exposed to Y positive pressure from the exterior.

View Quote
This is the kind of thing I'm wondering! I can fan up a blower easily enough, and it may filter smoke smell fine when I test it, but is the filter compromised and I don't know it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thank you for testing, and the report!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I 'autoclaved' a 3M 8210 N95 mask in my instant pot for 15 minutes. 1/2 cup water in the bottom, mask sitting on a stainless steel thing out of the water. On high pressure which by the specs should be about 240F and 11 psi.

It was a used mask that I did a project with a few days ago. It has been hanging outside since I am a slob and never threw it away.

The mask came out of the instant pot surprisingly dry. It was not water soaked at all. very slightly damp in some places but mostly completely dry.

The yellow rubber bands which are glued to the mask ( not stapled) actually got restored / contracted and are like a brand new mask never worn.

It maintained the shape just fine,  the elastic acts like elastic should . I put it on and it seals around my face just like others have  and can breath through it without any noticeable difference.
Thank you for testing, and the report!
Just recalled from microbiology class that the autoclave temperatures and pressure are to ensure all living microorganisms are killed off.  This includes spores and those microorganisms with thick capsules.

So, while the Instapot method may not be quite up to to autoclaving standards, if it's the virion particles that we want to deactivate, the Instapot may be enough for just that purpose.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]
As mentioned in the other thread, Bubba's Autoclave. Also makes and cans food (my primary use).

Amazon Product
  • 22 quart polished aluminum stovetop canner and pressure cooker with a deluxe pressure gauge dial
  • Selective pressure control with 3 cooking pressure options: 5, 10 or 15 PSI; overpressure steam release safety components
  • Heavy gauge, rustproof aluminum construction; sure locking lid system; pressure monitoring device built into handle

ETA- up to 15psi/250F.

Should work plenty well on this beastie. I actually suspect that this virus is nowhere near as difficult to kill as tough bacteria like spore formers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
See other threads here somewhere, working on it now with good results.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking at the Home-D website...

The 6 qt Instapot draws 1000 watts

The 6 qt Zavor draws 110 watts

Seems like the Zavor would be a lot easier on a genny or solar, or is the spec for the Zavor incorrect?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Seems like the Zavor would be a lot easier on a genny or solar, or is the spec for the Zavor incorrect?
View Quote
My search showed 1000 watts
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My search showed 1000 watts
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Okay, putting this out for input from others more knowledgeable than I:

Q: Would ozone/O3 be effective for disinfecting N95 masks w/o seriously degrading the mask itself? I ask 'cause the wife has a SoClean for her CPAP machine and I was thinking it might make a good make-shift cleaner for our masks/goggles each day. If not I'll resort to open-bagging them aside from the clean zone for a couple of weeks and let nature take care of it while we use spares during that time.

We have a small utility room w/washer & dryer to pass through from the garage to the rest of the house. It occurred to me it might be converted to an impromptu decon station.
Specifically, block off the floor vent, leave the exhaust fan on 24/7 to achieve a constant slight negative pressure in the room. Remove everything from the room not used for decon.
When coming home (gloves, mask, goggles), leave coat in the garage. Remove shoes & spray soles w/70% alcohol. Leave shoes in garage.
Enter utility room, everything but gloves, mask, goggles goes into washer w/detergent & Lysol Disinfectant additive.
Mask/goggles go into SoClean?
Spray gloves w/70% alcohol or wipe down w/Lysol Disinfectant wipes, carefully discard into covered bucket. Clean hands w/hand sanitizer.
Thorough shower.

In the morning, garage would be entered from the garage door via the keypad (after donning fresh gloves, mask, goggles), shoes & coat retrieved w/o entering the utility room.
This is just a rough plan, I welcome any constructive input on how this might be improved. I have no illusions that this setup would eliminate all possibility of contamination but am hoping to reduce the odds of such.
Thx!...

Tomac
View Quote
Anyone know what material the masks are made out of?  Ozone degrades a lot of things.

Edit to make it readable.

Material    Rating
ABS Plastic B
LDPE B
Acetal (Delrin®) C
Magnesium D
Acrylic (Perspex®) B
Monel C
Aluminum C (wet ozone) / B (dry ozone)
Natural Rubber D
Brass B
Neoprene C
Bronze B
Nylon D
Buna-N (Nitrile) D
PEEK A
Butyl A
Polyacrylate B
Cast Iron C
Polyamide (PA) C
Chemraz A
Polycarbonate A
Copper B
Polyethelyne B
CPVC A (does get brittle)
Polypropylene C
Cross-Linked Polyethylene (PEX) A
Polypropylene (glass-filled) (GFPP) C
Durachlor-51 A
Polysulfide B
EPDM C (wet ozone) / B (dry ozone)
Polyurethane, Millable A
EPR A
PVC A (wet ozone) / B (dry ozone) - does get brittle
Ethylene-Propylene A
PVDF (Kynar) A
Fiber Reinforced Plastics (FRD) D
Santoprene A
Flexelene B
Silicone A
Fluorosilicone A
Stainless Steel - 304/316 A
Galvanized Steel C
Stainless Steel - Other Grades B
Glass A
Steel (Mild) D
Hastelloy- C
APTFE A
HDPE A
Titanium A
Hypalon® C
Tygon B
Hytrel® C
Vamac A
Inconel A
Viton A
Kalrez A
Zinc D
Kel-F (PCTFE) A
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Anyone know what material the masks are made out of?  Ozone degrades a lot of things.

Material    Rating
ABS Plastic B
LDPE B
Acetal (Delrin®) C
Magnesium D
Acrylic (Perspex®) B
Monel C
Natural Rubber D
Brass B
Neoprene C
Bronze B
Nylon D
Buna-N (Nitrile) D
PEEK A
Butyl A
Polyacrylate B
Cast Iron C
Polyamide (PA) C
Chemraz A
Polycarbonate A
Copper B
Polyethelyne B
Polypropylene C
Durachlor-51 A
Polysulfide B
Polyurethane, Millable A
EPR A
Ethylene-Propylene A
PVDF (Kynar) A
Santoprene A
Flexelene B
Silicone A
Fluorosilicone A
Galvanized Steel C
Glass A
Steel (Mild) D
Hastelloy- C
APTFE A
HDPE A
Titanium A
Hypalon® C
Tygon B
Hytrel® C
Vamac A
Inconel A
Viton A
Kalrez A
Zinc D
Kel-F (PCTFE) A
View Quote
I can't find anything relating to the mask's composition on the 3M packaging or documentation. Shucks and other comments.
I know ozone degrades quite a number of things but am hoping it's safe for mask use since it's safe for constant CPAP sanitation.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can't find anything relating to the mask's composition on the 3M packaging or documentation. Shucks and other comments.
I know ozone degrades quite a number of things but am hoping it's safe for mask use since it's safe for constant CPAP sanitation.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Material    Rating
ABS Plastic B
LDPE B
Acetal (Delrin®) C
Magnesium D
Acrylic (Perspex®) B
Monel C
Natural Rubber D
Brass B
Neoprene C
Bronze B
Nylon D
Buna-N (Nitrile) D
PEEK A
Butyl A
Polyacrylate B
Cast Iron C
Polyamide (PA) C
Chemraz A
Polycarbonate A
Copper B
Polyethelyne B
Polypropylene C
Durachlor-51 A
Polysulfide B
Polyurethane, Millable A
EPR A
Ethylene-Propylene A
PVDF (Kynar) A
Santoprene A
Flexelene B
Silicone A
Fluorosilicone A
Galvanized Steel C
Glass A
Steel (Mild) D
Hastelloy- C
APTFE A
HDPE A
Titanium A
Hypalon® C
Tygon B
Hytrel® C
Vamac A
Inconel A
Viton A
Kalrez A
Zinc D
Kel-F (PCTFE) A

Tomac
The sun degrades plastics also.
I have been using ozone for years in our medical practice and have never had someone bring me a broken plastic device.
Use it in my home also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Stumbled onto this as a possible sterilization tool:
Amazon Product
  • ULTIMATE CLEANER - A powerful cleaner that kills 99.9% of germs in seconds, our UV sterilizer light is your solution to preventing mold, deodorizing, and sanitizing your home and belongings with convenience and ease.
  • VERSATILE & PORTABLE - Use our UV cleaning light in various areas: as a toothbrush sanitizer, phone cleaner, jewelry cleaner, makeup brush cleaner, shoe odor eliminator or UV shoe deodorizer, UV sanitizer of your pillow, gym bag, locker, yoga mat, toy box, bathroom cabinet, toilet, and other small enclosed spaces.
  • INNOVATIVE & SAFE DESIGN - For your safety, our UV light sanitizer has a sensor that detects human and pet presence and will delay the light coming on or will temporarily turn off until you, your family members, or pets are safely out of range. Do NOT expose your eyes and skin to UV light as this would be dangerous to your health.

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
man... where did you find the wattage of the 6qt Zavor?... I even looked through the PDF manual and could not find the specs...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
man... where did you find the wattage of the 6qt Zavor?... I even looked through the PDF manual and could not find the specs...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typo, should be 110 VOLTS instead of watts?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I am prepping to BUG IN. hunker down with the fam, with my Bug out SUV ready to go if anything goes south near me.

I am most worried about food to last until "a vaccine" is made and produced...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Thx!

And shucks, the Polypropylene filter material is on the "ozone eats this" list.
I have to wonder, how much ozone exposure to cause significant degradation. Hmmm, maybe a test is in order...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Searching for med preps to have on hand in case of infection.    Any list made up yet?

everyone's p100 or n95 and mask cleaning concerned as far as it goes it seems.  I want to acquire oc drugs for potential infection if its the smart thing...  I mean, if the pneumonia or drastically worse conditions set in IDK but this is where I'm lacking mostly.

fever reducer
anti-diarrheal
cough
hydration

....?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Searching for med preps to have on hand in case of infection.    Any list made up yet?

everyone's p100 or n95 and mask cleaning concerned as far as it goes it seems.  I want to acquire oc drugs for potential infection if its the smart thing...  I mean, if the pneumonia or drastically worse conditions set in IDK but this is where I'm lacking mostly.

fever reducer
anti-diarrheal
cough
hydration

....?
View Quote
Phenergan?
Is throwing up going to be a issue? I keep some in my preps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, and a fair question from that perspective.

Any and everything's fair game as far as being prepared goes.  Assuming good health, all we really need to survive are air, water, food, and protection from the elements.  Everything beyond that is just a matter of what degree of comfort you want to maintain during an event, and for how long.  So if it's something you use in your everyday life, it's worth considering how long you'd want to go without it and how feasible it is to build and store a stockpile.

A lot of people overlook the fact that it can actually be more efficient and economical to operate from a stockpile of everyday items instead of adopting a "just-in-time" (JIT) attitude in your own shopping.  As a simple example, take everyday canned corn.  Around here it usually runs about $1 can.  Say your family uses three cans a week.  If you just pick up three cans a week on the way home from work or whatever, that's about $12/mo on corn, or $144/year.

So now you're Joe and Jane prepper.  Rather than picking up a few cans here and there to meet the demand, you wait for a big sale and spend fifty bucks on corn when it's 3 cans/$1.  That's 150 cans - your entire year's supply at a fraction over one-third the normal cost ($48), and you even have six cans left over.  So your stockpile is gradually growing, and you've also got $94 left over to spend on other stuff!  Pretty sweet, eh?

Multiply that by bars of soap, toothbrushes, toilet paper, ketchup, paper plates, deodorant...  the savings add up fast - fast enough to justify retrofitting and extra room or basement or garage into a storage area (storage space is something you do have to think about with this model).  But if you've got the space, it really doesn't make sense not to do this.

Oh, and then, of course... you've already got damn near everything you need already onhand should a situation arise where you can't make it to the store for an extended period.  Ice storm, blizzard, localized flooding, tornado - COVID-19 - you get the picture.  But even without a catastrophe, it's just nice not to ever run out of anything.  

Prepping isn't stupid, it's smart.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#37]
NBC news just had a segment on about the wu-flu...

Expert said masks are mostly feel good as they do nothing to stop the spread.

Said the virus can go straight thru the masks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Finally found the formula for Oral Rehydration Fluid I was looking for:

1 quart of water
2 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of table salt
¼ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute

In any case, the general idea is to enhance the water with sodium, potassium, and natural sugar, which will help your body to absorb water more quickly.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#39]
This is a slightly edited version of my mask update from the main thread:

My MSA gear just arrived and it all looks good. Everything was new in the box. I did a fit test that seemed to be 100%. I’ll know for sure in a month or two.

I got everything from ebay & it all shipped quickly. The gear listed below seems to be the selection of choice for ARFCOMers that want a quality full face respirator with the cheapest filters at the lowest overall price.

MSA Advantage 4000 series mask # 10083782 (Size Medium - should fit most people unless very small or large head/jawline) - $40 plus shipping

MSA lowrider P100 canisters # 815177 - 120ct for $100 shipped

MSA adapters # 809999 - $10/pair shipped

Also just bought inlet covers to use one filter at a time (conserve filters/rifle use) - MSA bayonet inlet cap # 813341 - $10/pair

If you want to run 40mm canisters you’ll need this MSA p/n 10012413 (spendy at ~ $44) you only need one

Anyone who is interested IM for links if you can’t find anything.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, it’s droplet protection & prevention from touching your face. Though to be any serious help for droplets you need goggles.

Not sure if you knew this, but figured I’d post incase anyone else doesn’t.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1 quart of water
2 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of table salt
¼ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute

In any case, the general idea is to enhance the water with sodium, potassium, and natural sugar, which will help your body to absorb water more quickly.

View Quote
Thanks, I use a liquid sea salt solution that’s high in magnesium. I’ll just add a little of each of those to it with some water.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
The virus can, but typically the virus suspends itself in much larger molecules of H2O (which the masks DO stop).
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you very much for this. Just want to comment on the part in red. I'm no expert, but I believe it's important to adhere pretty close to proven formulas. From the OSR Oley Meeting link someone re-posted above (thank you for that!), there are potential issues with hypernatremia, exacerbation of diarrhea, etc if you go all willy nilly with salts. Not saying that's what you were suggesting, but I'm afraid someone might read that last line & assume the quantities / concentrations were unimportant.

One other note: The ORS formulas I've tasted could DEFINITELY use some flavoring. I've added sugar/salt-free flavoring to my our collection of ORS supplies. Makes them far more palatable.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Question for medical professionals only, please. Or those who have asked this same question to medical professionals & received an unambiguous answer. Or for those who know medical professionals personally & would kindly pass this question on the them :

If you were in a situation where access to medical care / testing was impossible (like if this overloads our medical facilities), had oral (only) antibiotics on hand, and you had a loved one likely infected by NCoV (ill, in the area of a known breakout), at what point would you initiate antibiotic therapy as a prophylaxis against secondary infection? Or would you initiate it at all? I'm thinking the drugs that are normally utilized for CAP (community acquired pneumonia): doxycycline, amoxycillin, etc. This is assuming an otherwise healthy individual.

Just to underscore: I am NOT considering playing doctor unless that's my only option. And I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what to do or give me medical advice - I'm asking what YOU would do, with the full understanding that what you would do as a professional is probably not what I should do as someone who's not one
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1 quart of water
2 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of table salt

View Quote
Hydration is a big deal. I have IVs available to me (medical clinic) but people might want to have an old style enema kit as rectal hydration and nutrition is effective. Slow drip....
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My MSA gear just arrived and it all looks good. Everything was new in the box. I did a fit test that seemed to be 100%. I’ll know for sure in a month or two.

I got everything from ebay & it all shipped quickly. The gear listed below seems to be the selection of choice for ARFCOMers that want a quality full face respirator with the cheapest filters at the lowest overall price.

MSA Advantage 4000 series mask # 10083782 (Size Medium - should fit most people unless very small or large head/jawline) - $40 plus shipping

Also just bought inlet covers to use one filter at a time (conserve filters/rifle use) - MSA bayonet inlet cap # 813341 - $10/pair

If you want to run 40mm canisters you’ll need this MSA p/n 10012413 (spendy at ~ $44) you only need one

View Quote
Why not just post the links....
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mods, hopefully this is ok, if not, I apologize. Feel free to delete if necessary.

DISCLAIMER: none of these listings are mine & I receive no revenue from sales. I’m not an expert & you should do your own research on correct PPE usage, etc.

BUYING INFO:

To run the cheap P100 filters listed with the Mask below you need one set of adapters. For each mask you buy purchase one set of adapters.

LINKS:

MSA Advantage 4000 Series Full Face Respirator - size medium (he has small & large also - small should fit some kids & small females, LARGE for huge melons/jawlines most average males & females should fit the medium fine - I couldn’t find any specific fit info on MSA’s website) - $40+shipping

This mask uses MSA bayonet Comfo filters so you’ll need this Adapter # 809999 (you’ll need these to use the cheap MSA P100 filters) - $10 for a pair of adapters.

120 MSA P100 Low Rider filters for $100 shipped

If you want to run one filter to conserve filters or use a rifle you’ll need these MSA Inlet Caps - one pair - $10+shipping (one pair will allow you to run two masks with one filter each, no singles I’ve seen)

@BUCK1911
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Mods, hopefully this is ok, if not, I apologize. Feel free to delete if necessary.

DISCLAIMER: none of these listings are mine & I receive no revenue from sales. I’m not an expert & you should do your own research on correct PPE usage, etc.

BUYING INFO:

To run the cheap P100 filters listed with the Mask below you need one set of adapters. For each mask you buy purchase one set of adapters.

LINKS:

MSA Advantage 4000 Series Full Face Respirator - size medium (he has small & large also - small should fit some kids & small females, LARGE for huge melons/jawlines most average males & females should fit the medium fine - I couldn’t find any specific fit info on MSA’s website) - $40+shipping

This mask uses MSA bayonet Comfo filters so you’ll need this Adapter # 809999 (you’ll need these to use the cheap MSA P100 filters) - $10 for a pair of adapters.

120 MSA P100 Low Rider filters for $100 shipped

If you want to run one filter to conserve filters or use a rifle you’ll need these MSA Inlet Caps - one pair - $10+shipping (one pair will allow you to run two masks with one filter each, no singles I’ve seen)

@BUCK1911
View Quote
Thanks! Do you know if these work with glasses?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Material    Rating
ABS Plastic B
LDPE B
Acetal (Delrin®) C
Magnesium D
Acrylic (Perspex®) B
Monel C
Natural Rubber D
Brass B
Neoprene C
Bronze B
Nylon D
Buna-N (Nitrile) D
PEEK A
Butyl A
Polyacrylate B
Cast Iron C
Polyamide (PA) C
Chemraz A
Polycarbonate A
Copper B
Polyethelyne B
Polypropylene C
Durachlor-51 A
Polysulfide B
Polyurethane, Millable A
EPR A
Ethylene-Propylene A
PVDF (Kynar) A
Santoprene A
Flexelene B
Silicone A
Fluorosilicone A
Galvanized Steel C
Glass A
Steel (Mild) D
Hastelloy- C
APTFE A
HDPE A
Titanium A
Hypalon® C
Tygon B
Hytrel® C
Vamac A
Inconel A
Viton A
Kalrez A
Zinc D
Kel-F (PCTFE) A
View Quote
Sure it does...

OVER TIME...

In the 'short term', most of above will last through any pandemic  --that WE survive.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look on the H-D site for ref to 110 watts, that seems ridiculously low.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top