Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Few people fell for the "self sufficent / self preservation" BS more than I did.
How many of you can say you've ...
Spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a farm;
Renovated the house on the farm to be self-sufficient (another $53,000);
Built a full storm shelter in the basement;
Had your wife resign from her profession (which cut the household income 40%) to stay home and "run the family and homestead";
Spent $12,000 on: fences, non-treated cedar posts for your organic vineyard, built mobile chicken tractor coups, rainwater collection and filtration systems, 10,000 linear feet of Sheep & Goat fence plus electric;
Drove 84 miles a day (42 each way) to work so you could "live the survivalist dream";
Bought 2,000 BALL jars to can the food that came from your 1/3 acre (that is 14375 square feet) vegetable garden;
Had the house rewired for a generator, bought a generator;
Had an extra 1000 gallon propane tank brought in to the property for the new canning kitchen;
Planted 32 fruit trees, 40 brambles (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, currants), 20 grape vines;
Had 35 laying hens;
Cut 5 chords of wood a year (off your property without mechanical assistance short of the chain saw);
Attempted to heat and cook on a wood stove exclusively for an entire winter;
Intentionally elected to forego replacing the A/C condenser when it died in July (100F with 90% humidity) ... lasted until fall just to see what it would be like without power.
Not many were as committed as we were.
Yet, here we are back in suburbia liking the fact that we can be at a grocery store in 7 minutes ... and not having needed any of those things we thought we needed.
That period of "extreme homestead prepping" is the single biggest mistake I've made in my life.
My advice: live your your lives and stop fantasizing about "being prepared".
View Quote
Nothing wrong with being honest with yourself that it wasn't for you. For my wife and I, we will never go back to suburbia or a city. We aren't to the scale you described, but pretty much check the boxes you listed. We aren't moving until our kids put us in a home. I think the key is don't let it get beyond the "hobby" in hobby farm.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Prior to Y2K we stockpiled food we knew we could eat
Some of the best advise given on the survival sites was to
try before you buy in quantity

One of those little can hams we bought on sale was GROSS
Even the dog wouldn’t eat it

Another item was a little tray on the shelf with roast beef and mash
potato’s with brown gravy. Gave the wife and I the trots.
Packaged in Chile or Argentina

Took us 24months to eat what we had stockpiled after y2k
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A lot of people don't get that now a days....  Just like why you see so many pull tops now on canned soups, etc. Really? Can't use a frickin can opener?
View Quote
Of all the things to rant about, that's a strange one to choose here.

Not needing a can opener is a good thing, Why wouldn't you want that?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people don't get that now a days....  Just like why you see so many pull tops now on canned soups, etc. Really? Can't use a frickin can opener?

Because the cans have a much shorter lifespan before they lose their seal due to the scoring and the thinner metal.

Several decent crank openers and a handful of P-38's and P-51's will last until the end of times. P-38's cost 2 for a buck.

FWIW, I still have my Dad's P-38 from the mid 1940's, he carried it everyday on his key chain until his early 80's, I have it now and it still works perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because the cans have a much shorter lifespan before they lose their seal due to the scoring and the thinner metal.

Several decent crank openers and a handful of P-38's and P-51's will last until the end of times. P-38's cost 2 for a buck.

FWIW, I still have my Dad's P-38 from the mid 1940's, he carried it everyday on his key chain until his early 80's, I have it now and it still works perfectly fine.
View Quote
OK, how much shorter? I've had 10 year old pull tab tins of beef that were still fine, and with proper rotation not very many folks are getting anywhere close to that.

I've had the key chain worn P-51 fall apart and have had crank can openers fail. While I wouldn't throw a dozen pull tab cans in a sack, for long term, properly rotated storage I have no issue with them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, how much shorter? I've had 10 year old pull tab tins of beef that were still fine, and with proper rotation not very many folks are getting anywhere close to that.

I've had the key chain worn P-51 fall apart and have had crank can openers fail. While I wouldn't throw a dozen pull tab cans in a sack, for long term, properly rotated storage I have no issue with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much shorter I don't know but I've had several start to leak at that score, the cans were from around 2012-13.  None of my standard cans have leaked.

Just had some corn from 2011 best by date, regular can, was perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How much shorter I don't know but I've had several start to leak at that score, the cans were from around 2012-13.  None of my standard cans have leaked.

Just had some corn from 2011 best by date, regular can, was perfectly fine.
View Quote
Even at 7-8 years, in the theme of this thread, I don't really see an issue.  If you're storing food you'll eat and FIFO, you'll need a hell of a lot of food to have it be an issue.  For 10+ years worth of food, you're probably taking some pretty serious storage precautions regardless of the top style.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you use lots of tomato sauce check the cans regularly,  canned peaches, pineapple have gone bad on me
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#12]
just before the financial collapse of 2007-2008, we went in with a few other families and bought 6000 lbs of food, mostly wheat kernels, rice, beans etc from wheat montana.  i nitrogen packed it in #10 cans and we ate on it for years (bread making machines are awesome).   our share of it was only 2000 lbs and i figure it would have lasted us a long time if that's all we had to eat.
it was a fair amount of $, but the $/lb or $/calorie was super super cheap, and it was quality, tasty stuff.

we got tired of a lot of it and still had most of it 10 years later.  we gave most of it away a couple years ago.   even so, i'd definitely recommend it if your diet is big on grains.

it was nice insurance knowing we wouldn't starve if we had economic hardship or something.  not just TEOTWAWKI stuff.

I keep a lot of FD meal packs in the camper.  i use them when camping, but it's there if i need to bug out.   good to go are pretty tasty.  i wouldn't touch mountain house or MREs unless i was starving lol.   FD and DH are definitely too expensive to stockpile.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unless you use lots of tomato sauce check the cans regularly,  canned peaches, pineapple have gone bad on me
View Quote
Canned pineapple has exploded on me due to the heat.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are different tiers of food storage.

Short, medium, long, very long, etc...

Don't completely disregard one because you prefer another.
View Quote
Balance is key.
Many " preppers" over look this.
Many jumped in head 1st spending more and creating costly mistakes.
Going the homestead route in the same fashion can be a recipe for disaster.

Me....
I started slow,bulked up when it allowed, and added as time went by.
I moved 40 miles from " town" to a small population town( under 2k) .
Wife started a business...
Gardens,livestock, alternate water, power ,defense etc etc etc.

Key thing, i did and am doing it baby steps wise. Learning, adapting and changing plans as need be.

I dont ever expect to be finished...as it's a constantly evolving plan.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baby white potatoes...hormel canned beef ( product of Argentina..). They woulda gave Steve1989 a run for his money.

Lotta fruits i gave up on keeping for failures.
So into the ground went, pineapples, peaches,grapes,avocados,blueberries citrus..
Better to produce it anyway imho.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Baby white potatoes...hormel canned beef ( product of Argentina..). They woulda gave Steve1989 a run for his money.

Lotta fruits i gave up on keeping for failures.
So into the ground went, pineapples, peaches,grapes,avocados,blueberries citrus..
Better to produce it anyway imho.
View Quote
That's one of the only reasons that I would like to live in Florida, being able to grow pineapples, citrus and avocados....  but that's offset by PALMETTO BUGS!! GIANT FLYING COCKROACHES!! YYYEECCHH!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never buy tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce in cans for longer term use, always buy in glass jars. As a plus, they can also be reused after being properly cleaned out and sanitized.

Local store just had a sale on spaghetti sauce and spaghetti/pasta products. $1 a jar for the sauce and 2 1 lb boxes of pasta for $1. Pasta lasts a hell of a long time, glass jar sauce does also.

Refill jars with pasta product, would probably outlast most people.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top