Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember people FREAKING OUT a few years ago over swine flu and bird flu. Guess what? Nothing.
View Quote
Things change and intelligent folks stay abreast of issues.

Do some research.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, we did some HUGE grocery shopping to stockpile all sorts of foods that will last.   We realize we can't hide out forever, but the less contact with the general public, the less chance we will contract something.  Plus, the stores where we shop now allow us to order online, and drive up to pick up our order.  We don't even have to go in the store.  Both our local Fred Meyer, and Safeway offer this service.

I will admit that I like to select my produce so I get the best looking stuff.  To get that, while wife unit is waiting for the on line order, I do a fast run through the produce and fresh meat department to get things.  I was really happy to find fresh Dungeness crab for $5.99 per pound.  I grabbed four of those as I'm the only person in the house that eats crab.

My little 16 year old, 10 pound, damned near toothless dog really likes crab because it is a "meat" that he can chew..(gum actually, but it gives him the feeling that he is actually chewing meat)...so I yield to spoiling him by giving him crab.   Hopefully, good karma will follow me when I get really old and toothless, and someone will bring me a cigar, drink of liquor, or some tasty food that the dietician says I shouldn't eat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are supposedly no packs of N95 masks greater than 3 masks within 200 miles of my location at home depot or Lowes - assuming you trust their inventory systems. And Amazon is out.
View Quote
Try McMaster-Carr
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Went to home depot to get shop vac bags and bought some n95 masks that I use at work, there was plenty left.
I'm in southwest WI, no panic here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a couple of these last fall. They also have an ozone version. Maybe I'll pick one up and make a decon room.
www.amazon.com/dp/B07YCM12XV
View Quote
The ballast is in the base of the lamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you were technical ---just kiddin....

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went to home depot to get shop vac bags and bought some n95 masks that I use at work, there was plenty left.
I'm in southwest WI, no panic here.
View Quote
Might want to pick up some HEPA shop vac filters to make a positive/negative pressure room.

Also a small blower of some sort, like one from a microwave that forces air to an outside vent.

Then take the microwave transformer and make an ozone generator to dishinfect the mail.

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Today, a co worker told me of the Hong Kong flu he remembered in 1968.  He thinks this is worse.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Might want to pick up some HEPA shop vac filters to make a positive/negative pressure room.

Also a small blower of some sort, like one from a microwave that forces air to an outside vent.

Then take the microwave transformer and make an ozone generator to dishinfect the mail.

View Quote
Haha, I'll get on that project tomorrow!
There was a meme earlier about how corona has no power over WI, it was quite funny, can't find it now of course.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Did 4 flights around the country today.

I saw 2 people with surgical masks

One had it on, one was carrying it

I saw one person with an N95 mask around his neck eating dinner at an airport restaurant

Nobody cares yet
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try McMaster-Carr
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are supposedly no packs of N95 masks greater than 3 masks within 200 miles of my location at home depot or Lowes - assuming you trust their inventory systems. And Amazon is out.
Try McMaster-Carr
Granger would be another option.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did 4 flights around the country today.

I saw 2 people with surgical masks

One had it on, one was carrying it

I saw one person with an N95 mask around his neck eating dinner at an airport restaurant

Nobody cares yet
View Quote
Patience...

Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Haha, I'll get on that project tomorrow!
There was a meme earlier about how corona has no power over WI, it was quite funny, can't find it now of course.
View Quote
I'll take a look at my Chinese ozone genny. The solid ceramic double sided PC board material is the critical part that is connected to the high voltage. Mine's just components, no housing. Should be no issue to make a substitute for the ceramic PCB. I have some Rogers ceramic [Teflon loaded ceramic] high dielectric low-loss microwave PCB in 12" x 12" sheets. Actually a case of it.

The potential across the edges of the sheet [it's about 4" square, ionizes the O2 in the air and disassociates it. O is very unstable and is anxious to bind with another O molecule ASAP.

I bought it to de-mold some shoes my SO ordered.

From China...

I think we got a refund when they wouldn't advance the postage [~$68 with tracking] to ship them back, love eBay's policies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:56:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The UVC light in the air handler of a building worked great stopping allergies from a carpet that got wet.

Took months for me to figure what was going on.

I still have it because I removed it when I sold the building.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#16]
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

live map, 107 dead

63 survivors,   4700 infected world wide.

This has a R naught or scientific term for reproduction among populations of 1.8-3.2 which means it can sustain itself within a modern culture without killing off all its hosts prematurely before spreading more unless sever quarantine and travel restrictions are in place until a vaccine which will take atleast one year to manufacture and test and finally distribute.

what does this really mean? end game for civilization. Not for humanity, just the way we have it setup now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw one person at church on Sunday wearing a mask.

Today, two people in the same building as my office wearing masks.  North Houston...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I go to a university in the midwest with a TON of Chinese students.  Several masks on today, only Chinese students. Some joking about corona and lime, but no serious discussion.

I know several of my Chinese colleagues went home for the Christmas break, came back around the 12th.  I think they'd be sick by now if they had it.

CVS by my house still sold out of surgical masks, Home depot sold out of N95.

Wife is taking this seriously, which is a good surprise.  Usually rolls her eyes at any prepping stuff I talk about.

The general atmosphere at school was on edge- people seemed to all be thinking about it, but nobody wanted to talk about it in a serious way for fear of being judged.

Many people fiendishly using little hand sanitizer bottles (good!).
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember people FREAKING OUT a few years ago over swine flu and bird flu. Guess what? Nothing.
View Quote
It's always hype... until it happens.

Any fool can prepare for things you know are going to happen.  The essence of "preparedness" is being ready for those you don't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]
My observation from this last Saturday until today.  Saturday all the stores that carried masks near by were fully stocked, come today they are all empty.

Saturday I went to a few local business and ran into many people i know and none we’re talking about the virus.  Today I made the same run and everyone was talking about it. Many were complaining that there wasn’t any masks to be found.

So the general public around here is starting to become aware.  No where near a panic. Most still didn’t even understand how the virus was effecting China.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Was at Costco a couple of days ago, saw one masked person.
No shortage of anything, usual prep stuff or otherwise.

On a jobsite (small business remodel) yesterday and one of the electricians was wearing nitrile gloves, a black surgical mask and full coverage eyepro.
Uncommon to see PPE on a jobsite like that, especially when doing trim work (he was just installing receptacles and wiring light fixtures). I was going to strike up a conversation with him and ask about it but didn't.
He didn't interact with anybody, did his job and left without saying a word.

Lowes had no bulk pack N95 masks by me. A couple of 3 packs (that I grabbed) and a couple of 1/2 face respirators.
Harbor Freight was fully stocked with masks, gloves and respirators. I don't trust their masks to do much of anything so I passed but I did grab a couple of extra boxes of their 6 mil nitrile gloves (I used them when working on cars).

ETA: Once Impeachment is over, I suspect the media is going to pivot to this as a wall to wall story and the herd is going to go bonkers. Hopefully everybody took advantage of that golden hour to make ready.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's always hype... until it happens.

Any fool can prepare for things you know are going to happen.  The essence of "preparedness" is being ready for those you don't.
View Quote
Right, and being able to improvise and innovate can make a big difference.

Look at the guy whose arm was trapped in some rocks and had to consider his options.

I'd say he had a rather open mind to a difficult situation.

Being able to face reality objectively, ---without fooling yourself, makes a BIG difference in life.

We'll see the entire human spectrum in these forums. An interesting study in human psychology.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Now it's reported that WHO has declared this situation a worldwide EMERGENCY!

"CASES SPIKE TENFOLD"

First H2H transmission in US.

No big deal, right????

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Well fuck.

I am sick, probably just a head cold.

sinuses locked up, headache, chilled, dizzy / off balance ( probably from my congested head and ears ).  both ears ache ( probably the congestion, temp 97.1 is usually 98.6

I can breath through my nose just fine but my sinus are blocked above and below my eyes
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I remember people FREAKING7 OUT a few years ago over swine flu and bird flu. Guess what? Nothing.
View Quote
Except people did die from those. A gal i know caught swine flu in 2009 here in the U.S. and died. She was in her late 20s and healthy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]
While in college in 2009 my daughter caught swine flu and was fine, my wife on the other hand FREAKED OUT!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#29]
There are 12 True Value Hardware District warehouses in the US to stock the small local stores.  They are all backordered on all disposable n95 masks.  No more getting shipped to the local stores in the immediate future.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
According to sources in China, you will get this virus through any mucus membrane, such as your eyes. Also, viruses in this family with like that.

Dust and surgical masks are to prevent you from SPREADING disease, not from contacting them.

You can buy all the dust masks you want if it makes you feel better, but they provide minimal protection for you at best.

Prepare to bug in. Stockpile energy and food and water.

UV light kills SARS virus, which is closely related to this one, as does 60c for 15 minutes.
View Quote
Going to have to dig out the kids swimming goggles that I picked up last year !!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Added to my long term lock down preps.

Food for 3 months,plentiful water supply.Gonna need some more fuel which i will get next week

Nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away.

Will continue to top off supplies until this either drops off or increases,then its lock down time for me
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Added to my long term lock down preps.

Food for 3 months,plentiful water supply.Gonna need some more fuel which i will get next week

Nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away.

Will continue to top off supplies until this either drops off or increases,then its lock down time for me
View Quote
This is more general rambling that a specific reply to FlyLeaf's post, but it seemed like a good jumping-off point...

It's a little outside the scope of the current event, but something to think about when considering true long-term preps is the ability to produce, not just store food.  If you don't have a garden, put one in this spring and start figuring it out (believe me, it's a lot more involved than just poking some seeds into the ground).  Even a few Homer buckets on a patio or balcony can produce a considerable amount of food if you know how.  If location allows, build a simple chicken coop and pick up a few laying hens... even some suburban areas are getting more relaxed about this as long as you don't have a noisy-ass rooster going off at 4:00 AM every morning (though if you can swing it, a rooster makes the flock self-replenishing).

Even right now, in the dead of winter, you can sprout some wheat berries in a plastic planter on a windowsill.  The resulting wheat grass is highly nutritious, if not exactly culinary Nirvana.  With a few 4' LED shop lights, it's pretty simple to set up a small indoor greens garden that can provide useful quantities of leaf lettuce, spinach, even radishes and a few other easy-to-grow crops. I've got a few setups like this that we use to produce some fresh greens in winter, then switch to starting bedding plants for the garden in spring:

Having even a little bit of fresh stuff goes a long way in breaking up the monotony of the stuff most folks put back for emergencies, but the real value lies in picking up the skills to be truly self-sufficient if it ever comes to it.  Real "preparedness" is more a permanent mindset than a one-off burst of activity in answer to a specific event, and it's not a bad way to live.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well fuck.

sinuses locked up, headache, chilled, dizzy / off balance ( probably from my congested head and ears ).  both ears ache ( probably the congestion, temp 97.1 is usually 98.6

I can breath through my nose just fine but my sinus are blocked above and below my eyes
View Quote
After the Swine Flu went thru about 2009, me, my SO, and friends we were working with, all had our temps reset to about 97.7 F, even while we had the flu and we really didn't have symptoms too badly.

Since then we all have basal temps about the same. Only time it goes to 98.6F is when we get sick.

Months after the flu, the CDC mentioned sub-normal temps were observed and I beat those HI_IQ folks by posting it here when it happened.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
After the Swine Flu went thru about 2009, me, my SO, and friends we were working with, all had our temps reset to about 97.7 F, even while we had the flu and we really didn't have symptoms too badly.

Since then we all have basal temps about the same. Only time it goes to 98.6F is when we get sick.

Months after the flu, the CDC mentioned sub-normal temps were observed and I beat those HI_IQ folks by posting it here when it happened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well fuck.

Never heard that before.

My wife has it now too, I feel better except for the fatigue part, still really tired.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife just flew in from Seattle last night and she said there were about 50 Asians with masks on that she saw while waiting at her gate.
View Quote
Regarding the N95's, if you do not cover your eyes and someone sneezes in your direction, you will get whatever they have!

Very common to see Asians wearing masks at JFK for many years!

Bill
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#36]
LAX to MIA flight on 02/01/2020, 5 passengers left the aircraft prior to departure because majority of the passengers were Asian!
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I shopped at BJs today.

3 people were obviously prepping ( not including me )

everybody else, not so much.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:33:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Last night, I made a run to Walmart. I observed a young couple, cart loaded with ramien rice, instant potatoes, tinned meats, cases of water, bleach, Pedialyte (smart), etc. I could tell they were stressed, hushed tones, glancing around frequently, they had a list they kept referring to.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Last night, I made a run to Walmart. I observed a young couple, cart loaded with ramien rice, instant potatoes, tinned meats, cases of water, bleach, Pedialyte (smart), etc. I could tell they were stressed, hushed tones, glancing around frequently, they had a list they kept referring to.
View Quote
There are no dust masks locally nor at Lowes/HD for 50 mile radius. I buy a little at a time. Mostly water & canned goods.

Last I checked Sam's Club & Bj's had no large bottles of hand sanitizer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
a temporal decrease in mean human body temperature has been under study for some time, with one of the more recent publications as follows...

https://elifesciences.org/articles/49555

Myroslava Protsiv, Catherine Ley, Joanna Lankester, Trevor Hastie, Julie Parsonnet  
Stanford University, School of Medicine, United States; Stanford University, United States

Abstract

In the US, the normal, oral temperature of adults is, on average, lower than the canonical 37°C established in the 19th century. We postulated that body temperature has decreased over time. Using measurements from three cohorts—the Union Army Veterans of the Civil War (N = 23,710; measurement years 1860–1940), the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey I (N = 15,301; 1971–1975), and the Stanford Translational Research Integrated Database Environment (N = 150,280; 2007–2017) — we determined that mean body temperature in men and women, after adjusting for age, height, weight and, in some models date and time of day, has decreased monotonically by 0.03°C per birth decade. A similar decline within the Union Army cohort as between cohorts, makes measurement error an unlikely explanation. This substantive and continuing shift in body temperature—a marker for metabolic rate—provides a framework for understanding changes in human health and longevity over 157 years.

Introduction

In 1851, the German physician Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich obtained millions of axillary temperatures from 25,000 patients in Leipzig, thereby establishing the standard for normal human body temperature of 37°C or 98.6 °F (range: 36.2–37.5°C [97.2- 99.5 °F]) (Mackowiak, 1997; Wunderlich and Sequin, 1871). A compilation of 27 modern studies, however (Sund-Levander et al., 2002), reported mean temperature to be uniformly lower than Wunderlich’s estimate. Recently, an analysis of more than 35,000 British patients with almost 250,000 temperature measurements, found mean oral temperature to be 36.6°C, confirming this lower value (Obermeyer et al., 2017). Remaining unanswered is whether the observed difference between Wunderlich’s and modern averages represents true change or bias from either the method of obtaining temperature (axillary by Wunderlich vs. oral today) or the quality of thermometers and their calibration (Mackowiak, 1997). Wunderlich obtained his measurements in an era when life expectancy was 38 years and untreated chronic infections such as tuberculosis, syphilis, and periodontitis afflicted large proportions of the population (Murray et al., 2015; Tampa et al., 2014; Richmond, 2014). These infectious diseases and other causes of chronic inflammation may well have influenced the ‘normal’ body temperature of that era.

The question of whether mean body temperature is changing over time is not merely a matter of idle curiosity. Human body temperature is a crude surrogate for basal metabolic rate which, in turn, has been linked to both longevity (higher metabolic rate, shorter life span) and body size (lower metabolism, greater body mass). We speculated that the differences observed in temperature between the 19th century and today are real and that the change over time provides important physiologic clues to alterations in human health and longevity since the Industrial Revolution.

... continues at link...
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#41]
My body temp is back to normal so I think it is obvious that I had a virus that lowed my body temp to 97.1
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:55:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Over the weekend -

Saw only one person at the big box warehouse with an unusual cart loadout.   Saw a couple of people with masks on - younger people, not the usual old asian couples.

Saw several people, some couples, bucket shopping at the big box home improvement store.   Gamma lids were sold out.

Later saw some of the same people at the nearby restaurant wholesaler eyeing up bulk dry foods.

Buckets and lids virtually gone at the ag store.

Hand sanitizer nearly gone at any of the pharmacies; large displays in stock at Walmart.

Edit, 2/8 -

Hand sanitizer non-existent at Walmart.   People wandering around hacking and sneezing all over the place, though.

A few more people with masks in public.   Big displays of cases of N95 3M stuff in the big box home improvement stores.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#43]
In the Walmart in Williston N.D and the employees running the check out lines were all wearing surgical gloves/masks and safety glasses.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My body temp is back to normal so I think it is obvious that I had a virus that lowed my body temp to 97.1
View Quote
Lowering temps happened to us in the H1N1 flu of 2009.

CDC later reported on this.

We never reset to what we once considered 'normal'.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The problem with this bug is its hitting at the height of the cold and flu season.  That means its potential to spread undetected is very high.  
Tj
View Quote
Pandemic potential or not, things are going to start sucking if the factories and exports don't resume.

Actual shortages will be supplemented by people panicking if - probably more like when - more cases pop up in the West.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pandemic potential or not, things are going to start sucking if the factories and exports don't resume.

Actual shortages will be supplemented by people panicking if - probably more like when - more cases pop up in the West.
View Quote
Ordered a set of tires...

Will keep the old ones.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Only 'real world' impact I've seen so far was that at work yesterday we found out that equipment we ordered isn't coming...was sourced from China...we were told a minimum 8-12 week back order

At Home Depot, they have all their cleaning supplies out by the registers. Which seems weird for February.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Saw a guy picking up a big-ass shopping cart full of #10 cans of mountain house from walmart.  Probably 40 cans.  Also went to harbour freight to see if they had any n95 masks; they told me no, and also that a man had attempted to place an order for almost $100k worth of them (which they denied).
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I work for an international IT consulting company, and got a letter from the main office last week saying they're restricting all travel to/from China.  Also had several paragraphs on paying attention to flu symptoms and what to do if there's a possibility you're infected.

Never seent that befo'.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I was out buying some things to fill out my food stores since they had gotten a little low, plus some extra meds and cleaning supplies and it's business as usual for everyone here.  No one seemed to be prepping at all.  People aren't even talking about it that I've noticed. Lowes still had N95 masks in stock, even some bulk packs.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top