Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m saying it sure got the protesters off the streets.
View Quote
Your non-answer told me all I need to know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Some interesting observations with current stats.

Outside of China, there are 129 infected people that have recovered and 5 that have died. So even using that extreme method of calculating lethality it sits at  3.7%. That is important bc that is what can be expected from a healthcare system that is not overwhelmed.

The rate at which new patients are being infected is trending downward so it seems China's measures to contain this are at least helping. It seems the rate at which patients are dying is also starting to trend down. But bc deaths lag behind infections the graph doesn't show it as clearly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I got in on the bulk ebay 120ct P100 filters before the price jumped to $300
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The rate at which new patients are being infected is trending downward so it seems China's measures to contain this are at least helping. It seems the rate at which patients are dying is also starting to trend down. But bc deaths lag behind infections the graph doesn't show it as clearly.
View Quote
I would dispute that very strongly.   They may be slowing the spread in other parts of China, but trying to hide the outbreak has made things worse elsewhere.

China's numbers are pretty obviously crap, even the MSM has started calling them out on it.   CDC is being weaselly and it's hard to tell if it's incompetence or (arguably justifiable) attempts to prevent panic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would dispute that very strongly.   They may be slowing the spread in other parts of China, but trying to hide the outbreak has made things worse elsewhere.

China's numbers are pretty obviously crap, even the MSM has started calling them out on it.   CDC is being weaselly and it's hard to tell if it's incompetence or (arguably justifiable) attempts to prevent panic.
View Quote
Dispute it if you want, but unless you have more reliable sources for numbers your dispute means little.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
First shortage that’s affected me...that I’ve noticed.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Frankly...my bigger concern is water...but I dont have a realistic solution for that yet.
View Quote
We have stored water but it pales in comparison to our amount of food. I used this (potential) crisis to address the problem of water procurement, which I've been wanting to do for some time. Got a 12V self-priming water transfer pump coming that draws ~5A & should move ~3-4gpm. It comes w/ alligator clips to connect to a car/cycle battery, but I'll probably add a lighter plug as well. Plan is to have something I can throw in any standing body of water, so I'll probably have to add a strainer/filter on the business end of the hose I throw in the water. I'll filter/purify at home. Have a Berkey planned for the near future, but until then, a sand filter + chemical/boiling treatment should work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We have stored water but it pales in comparison to our amount of food. I used this (potential) crisis to address the problem of water procurement, which I've been wanting to do for some time. Got a 12V self-priming water transfer pump coming that draws ~5A & should move ~3-4gpm. It comes w/ alligator clips to connect to a car/cycle battery, but I'll probably add a lighter plug as well. Plan is to have something I can throw in any standing body of water, so I'll probably have to add a strainer/filter on the business end of the hose I throw in the water. I'll filter/purify at home. Have a Berkey planned for the near future, but until then, a sand filter + chemical/boiling treatment should work.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly...my bigger concern is water...but I dont have a realistic solution for that yet.
What makes you think the municipal water supply will stop or be contaminated ?

Some of us are obviously thinking of different events ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need to guess or rationalize what may or may not cause issues w/ supply. If the municipal water system is GTG, then I have no problem. If it's not - and there's standing water nearby - then I still have no problem. Not just for pandemic situations, but for any situation.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Put a $60 booster pump on your water line, run through a $110 75gpd membrane @65 psi, then use UV on the output for pure water (5 minutes of submersible 11 Watt, 15 minutes to be absolutely sure for about everything, though 5 is already overkill).  UVC doesn't go far in non-clear water, but RO output is crystal clear, bugs may make it through system.

To make 10 gallons of pure RO 0ppm water, you need to dump 20, so for every 30 gallons in, you'll have 20 gallons of sediment/carbon filtered water that was used for membrane flush, that can be used as grey-water for toilets and such (Could uV it as well).  Use RO for drinking/cooking.  They're still cheap, even the booster pumps, if you want a low cost fast way to at least get some known pure water.
View Quote
I appreciate the advice! I was more concerned about sourcing from nearby water bodies if for any reason water service failed in our area. I assume you're discussing purifying a functional but contaminated municipal water supply?

Is the booster pump's purpose to get the 65psi to run through the membrane? We've got ridiculous water pressure here most times. It's been a while since I measured it, but if I remember it was probably in the 65-70 range, at least during non-peak hours. Water hammer is no joke in nuestra casa
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Put a $60 booster pump on your water line, run through a $110 75gpd membrane @65 psi, then use UV on the output for pure water (5 minutes of submersible 11 Watt, 15 minutes to be absolutely sure for about everything, though 5 is already overkill).  UVC doesn't go far in non-clear water, but RO output is crystal clear, bugs may make it through system.

To make 10 gallons of pure RO 0ppm water, you need to dump 20, so for every 30 gallons in, you'll have 20 gallons of sediment/carbon filtered water that was used for membrane flush, that can be used as grey-water for toilets and such (Could uV it as well).  Use RO for drinking/cooking.  They're still cheap, even the booster pumps, if you want a low cost fast way to at least get some known pure water.
View Quote
Don't forget, you can run that bypass water back thru your RO system, possibly a number of times.

Like we do!

And we bypass about 1 to 1 ratio. This is for utility water we transport to the mountain.

TDS is about 280 in and 5 out. UVC sterilizer. Everything  operates on solar.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, re: RO membrane differential pressure...

If you DO NOT use the accumulator tank that often comes with an under counter setup...

And instead fill a container like a 5 gallon water fountain bottle, then the RO membrane sees no back pressure and production is way faster.

Again, how we've done it with multiple systems, in some cases for almost 14 years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
EXPY, Brass... thanks very much for the info
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

walmart sells 5 gallon thick plastic empty water jugs with handles meant for a water cooler for $7 and they have screw on caps

they are much easier to move than 50 gallon drums and  10 are about the same price as a new 50 gallon drum
View Quote
I am a long time fan of the 5 gallon water bottles...always had those on hand for cooking / cleaning / and of course to supplement potable water.
I think in terms of water and food, for at least the short-haul, I am good to go. if we are talking months...a truly protracted event...the dynamics of societal breakdown would make any game plan null and void anyway. If we were a month into a scenario where the grocery stores were effectively gone, how many people in suburbia....realistically...haven't totally lost their shit? In the short run, security and safety will be the highest priority...and at some point that will level off and it would become a game of resources.

In truth, I seriously doubt that will happen...not now, and probably not in my lifetime. But...I've game-planned it, and I (think I) understand what that operating environment might look like. For now, I'll keep watching the data...as I have...and see where the numbers go.

Been trying to keep a positive spin on this the whole thread. In my mind, even if all utilities were gone, and we were truly in the 'after time'...I'll catch up on my reading list, and practice with my acoustic guitar more than I do currently
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Some more data points...

Been thinking less about the raw numbers and more about the rate of spread of this thing. Lets assume for a moment that the data being reported is accurate enough to draw conclusions. (that is a BIG assumption) Lets also assume (for reality's sake) that the data from China is less reliable than that being reported by the free world (western, industrialized nations)

Now, lets define the operational definition for 'Rate of Growth' as the percent of confirmed cases today, relative to the number of confirmed cases we knew about yesterday. [for example, if yesterday we knew we had 100 cases, and today we know we have 200 cases, the rate of growth is 200%...double the cases overnight]

Here is a breakdown of 'Rate of Growth' for China, and for 'Not-China'. The point of this is to normalize the growth curve for volume, so we are looking purely at the percent of increase in the number of cases over time, by population...

Observations...if we look to the right of graph, we see the lowest rates of growth for both measured populations.

That said, the lowest rate of growth suggests a continued growth in the number of cases every 24 hours. Keep in mind that we allowed the assumption that the data is trustworthy and reflects reality. With that in mind, draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
In the case of a protracted power outage, being on well water has me concerned.

I have a well that goes down something like 175 feet.  I'm wondering about the efficacy of pulling the well pump and using a 3 or 4 foot  piece of 3 inch PVC pipe (capped on the bottom) and cable to dip the well repeatedly and would be something worth considering.
Erecting a gibbet and pulley over the well head would make it easier to haul up.
It wouldn't be 'easy' doing it a few dozen times a day, but it'd sure be better than going thirsty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bailer bucket. It's a thing.

It works, but you have to pull your well pump to use them.

Better off with a generator and reserving 10 gallons of gas for just getting water.
View Quote
I didn't think I was inventing something, but I had no idea it was a thing.

I appreciate the heads up and info, Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Better off with a generator and reserving 10 gallons of gas for just getting water.
View Quote
There is nothing wrong with plan B & plan C etc, but this ^^^ 1000% should be plan A.

In the grand scheme of things generators plus a good amount of stored fuel are a cheap thing to have around...
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh for sure. Especially when it comes to water. I'd so much rather pull clean, drinkable water out of our well than have to haul lake water 300 yards uphill and then filter it...

I may or may not have a bailer bucket with 500' of paracord tucked away myself.

Of course, after I went to inspect my pitless adapter, I learned it has seized in place (old style), so one of my projects for this summer is to dig out around it, cut the well head off, install new steel well head and modernize the pitless adapter and throw in a new well pump while I'm in there.

Should be fun
View Quote
Haha,  not to continue the thread-jack, but my water plans are like this...

Plan A: 2500 gallon underground storage tank tied into my domestic plumbing through a pump, resupplied by the well if needed, powered by a generator fueled by 500 gallons of stored fuel
Plan B: 2500 gallon underground storage tank tied into my domestic plumbing through a pump, resupplied by the well if needed, powered by a 2nd redundant generator fueled by 500 gallons of stored fuel
Plan C: 2500 gallon underground storage tank tied into my domestic plumbing through a pump, resupplied by the well if needed, powered by a 3rd, double-redundant generator fueled by 500 gallons of stored fuel
Plan D/E: Bailer bucket on a rope or tap into the 8,000 gallons underground rainwater collection system (that would need run through a RO & UV filter/sterilizer system to be potable)

Plans D/E would be interchangeable depending on which one I felt was a better use of my remaining resources that deep into the problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some more data points...

Been thinking less about the raw numbers and more about the rate of spread of this thing. Lets assume for a moment that the data being reported is accurate enough to draw conclusions. (that is a BIG assumption) Lets also assume (for reality's sake) that the data from China is less reliable than that being reported by the free world (western, industrialized nations)

Now, lets define the operational definition for 'Rate of Growth' as the percent of confirmed cases today, relative to the number of confirmed cases we knew about yesterday. [for example, if yesterday we knew we had 100 cases, and today we know we have 200 cases, the rate of growth is 200%...double the cases overnight]

Here is a breakdown of 'Rate of Growth' for China, and for 'Not-China'. The point of this is to normalize the growth curve for volume, so we are looking purely at the percent of increase in the number of cases over time, by population...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38917/Growth_in_Case_Rate_GIF-1282885.gif

Observations...if we look to the right of graph, we see the lowest rates of growth for both measured populations.

That said, the lowest rate of growth suggests a continued growth in the number of cases every 24 hours. Keep in mind that we allowed the assumption that the data is trustworthy and reflects reality. With that in mind, draw your own conclusions.
View Quote
If I'm understanding your chart correctly, correct me if I'm not, then it looks like the number of infected will double every 5ish days, which is the number that's been published.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In the case of a protracted power outage, being on well water has me concerned.

I have a well that goes down something like 175 feet.  I'm wondering about the efficacy of pulling the well pump and using a 3 or 4 foot  piece of 3 inch PVC pipe (capped on the bottom) and cable to dip the well repeatedly and would be something worth considering.
Erecting a gibbet and pulley over the well head would make it easier to haul up.
It wouldn't be 'easy' doing it a few dozen times a day, but it'd sure be better than going thirsty.
View Quote
Don't forget to add weight the bottom or your piece of pipe will just float on top.

Somebody mentioned having to pull your well-pump to make it work.  This depends on your specific situation.  When I had a well, the casing was wide enough and the pump was low enough, compared to the water height, that I could do what you're talking about w/o pulling the pump.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't forget to add weight the bottom or your piece of pipe will just float on top.

Somebody mentioned having to pull your well-pump to make it work.  This depends on your specific situation.  When I had a well, the casing was wide enough and the pump was low enough, compared to the water height, that I could do what you're talking about w/o pulling the pump.
View Quote
Torque arresters would be in the way if you have them...
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Torque arresters would be in the way if you have them...
View Quote
My setup was pretty ancient, I didn't have anything that looked like it could've been a torque arrestor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My setup was pretty ancient, I didn't have anything that looked like it could've been a torque arrestor.
View Quote
I know I have one... had to pull the pump last year bc it quit. Turned out the wires were worn & broken from rubbing on the limestone borehole for 28 years. At 200 feet the well pump may as well be hanging on a rope, 200 ft of poly water pipe doesn't stop the motor from twisting every time it kicks on. Put new wire on and sent it back down with a torque arrester to prevent that problem in the future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Good statistical charts here re the virus.

One chart, in particular, is not good, well, none are good, but the link below (I failed at attaching the chart).  It shows the outside of China infection rates.  They're not slowing down.

This
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think if you use a 2 inch PVC pipe ( in a 4 inch well ), you may not need to pull the well pump, but I have not tried it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. My well is 350 feet so so I installed a solar pump that my Honda 2000 can run. At 11 gallons a minute a few gallons of gas is a lot of water. I was able to fill a 3500 gallon storage tank and still had fuel in the generator.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#32]
#WSJ #Coronavirus
Why Coronavirus Estimates Are Higher Than China's Official Tally | WSJ

Why Coronavirus Estimates Are Higher Than China's Official Tally | WSJ
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]
So as a 1st responder, the latest update includes:

1) Mortality rate estimates vary greatly, anywhere from .1% to 3%
2) estimated to be 2 to 3 times the infection rate of the flu, possibly as high as 6 times.
3) 80% of those infected have very minor symptoms.
4) Many new cases have no visible trace to China
5) Expected to be a world wide pandemic within 3 to 6 weeks.
6) N95 or higher masks is the PPE, expect supplies to be unavailable.
7) No vaccine for at least 1 year
8) Do not count on seasonality endpoint.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think if you use a 2 inch PVC pipe ( in a 4 inch well ), you may not need to pull the well pump, but I have not tried it.
View Quote
no, not if there is a torque arrestor or two on the way down.  
in my AO, with deep (100-300ft) wells there will typically be one or more torque arrestors mounted with the drop pipe.
in addition to preventing pump twist, they prevent the drop pipe (these days, typically 200psi black poly) from "slapping" the well casing when the pump turns on and off, which in turn can reduce pump wire breakage.

below, some googled images ...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#35]
British Columbia is reporting a person with the virus who had no contact with China.  She had traveled to Iran, but not the city of Qom where the outbreak is occurring.  link  Qom's outbreak is believed to have been transmitted by a Chinese construction worker.

ETA:  South Korea's infection rate is disturbing.

87 new cases in South Korea bringing the total to 433. Last few days progression of total cases in South Korea:
Feb. 22: 433 cases (current day, still in progress)

Feb. 21: 209 cases

Feb. 20: 111 cases

Feb. 19:  58 cases

Feb. 18:   31 cases

Source
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
British Columbia is reporting a person with the virus who had no contact with China.  She had traveled to Iran, but not the city of Qom where the outbreak is occurring.  link  Qom's outbreak is believed to have been transmitted by a Chinese construction worker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Considering it is infectious before symptoms are observed and it has such a long incubation period, it's not surprising to me that some cases can't establish a link to specific infected persons. It's difficult for me to recall every place I've been and every person I've had contact with over the last week, let alone 3 weeks...

That's not to mention the unknown contacts. Did that Chinese construction worker passes through an airport prior to travelling to Qom and leave a small amount of infectious bodily fluid behind and some unlucky person from another region pick it up on their way through?
Quoted:
ETA:  South Korea's infection rate is disturbing.

87 new cases in South Korea bringing the total to 433. Last few days progression of total cases in South Korea:
Feb. 22: 433 cases (current day, still in progress)

Feb. 21: 209 cases

Feb. 20: 111 cases

Feb. 19:  58 cases

Feb. 18:   31 cases

Source
If I'm not mistaken a significant portion of the S Korean cases are all people that attended a church service in a church that had been visited by a person who later became ill. In that case it's extremely difficult to trace contacts. I have no idea what the customs are in S Korea but I know in many Catholic & Lutheran churches there is a communion service where wine is shipped from a chalice, wiped with a rag, and passed to the next. If such thing occurred at that church it's no wonder there is a large number of cases associated with that 1 individual that contracted it then passed it around his congregation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Considering it is infectious before symptoms are observed and it has such a long incubation period, it's not surprising to me that some cases can't establish a link to specific infected persons. It's difficult for me to recall every place I've been and every person I've had contact with over the last week, let alone 3 weeks...

That's not to mention the unknown contacts. Did that Chinese construction worker passes through an airport prior to travelling to Qom and leave a small amount of infectious bodily fluid behind and some unlucky person from another region pick it up on their way through?

If I'm not mistaken a significant portion of the S Korean cases are all people that attended a church service in a church that had been visited by a person who later became ill. In that case it's extremely difficult to trace contacts. I have no idea what the customs are in S Korea but I know in many Catholic & Lutheran churches there is a communion service where wine is shipped from a chalice, wiped with a rag, and passed to the next. If such thing occurred at that church it's no wonder there is a large number of cases associated with that 1 individual that contracted it then passed it around his congregation.
View Quote
Its not surprising at all that it continues to be transmitted unabated based on the latency and asymptomatic spreading.  The BC gal, shows that despite all the Chinese lockdowns, it's already out there and it shows how bad of a recommendation the WHO made to continue traveling.

RE: S. Korea, I believe a lot of those cases are indeed from the one church, but I haven't seen any numbers breaking it down sufficiently. I assume the churchgoers got infected, then went on infected other people in their daily lives.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
in my AO, with deep (100-300ft) wells there will typically be one or more torque arrestors mounted with the drop pipe.
in addition to preventing pump twist, they prevent the drop pipe (these days, typically 200psi black poly) from "slapping" the well casing when the pump turns on and off, which in turn can reduce pump wire breakage.

ar-jedi

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/arrestor-1.JPG

https://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/arrestor-2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/arrestor-1.JPG

https://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/arrestor-2.jpg
Thanks, good info.

What would I have to do to pull the pump out myself?

On the diagram there is a pipe that comes out of the casing to the side. How do I pull the pump and wire out with that there?

ETA: nevermind I was able to find the answers online.

My pump is about 18 years old, I am going to try to get it replaced next week.

I will also buy a spare and make a T handle in case I have to pull it or swap it myself.

I had no idea there was a torque arrestor. My well is only 60 feet so it might not have one, but I will obviously find out when it gets replaced.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks, good info.

What would I have to do to pull the pump out myself?

On the diagram there is a pipe that comes out of the casing to the side. How do I pull the pump and wire out with that there?

My pump is about 18 years old, I am going to try to get it replaced next week.

I will also buy a spare and make a T handle in case I have to pull it or swap it myself.

I had no idea there was a torque arrestor. My well is only 60 feet so it might not have one, but I will obviously find out when it gets replaced.
View Quote
Just curious but why are you replacing it? Pumps can last several decades. Assuming it's working ok now, it seems silly to replace a pump that has proven itself for 18 yrs.

Mine has been down the hole for 28 yrs or so. I had it pulled for a broken wire. Well guy said he couldn't make a recommendation either way, but he said we can put the old pump back and it could fail next week or it could fail 30 yrs from now. He said pumps aren't made like they used to be and a new one might fail the next week as well. An old pump that's been in the ground for a couple decades has proven that it definitely didn't have any manufacturing defects. The same can't be said for a new one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just curious but why are you replacing it? Pumps can last several decades. Assuming it's working ok now, it seems silly to replace a pump that has proven itself for 18 yrs.

Mine has been down the hole for 28 yrs or so. I had it pulled for a broken wire. Well guy said he couldn't make a recommendation either way, but he said we can put the old pump back and it could fail next week or it could fail 30 yrs from now. He said pumps aren't made like they used to be and a new one might fail the next week as well. An old pump that's been in the ground for a couple decades has proven that it definitely didn't have any manufacturing defects. The same can't be said for a new one.
View Quote
Agree, early failure is a real thing, and keeping a spare with the required install components might be desirable.

This said if you are going to have a spare anyhow, then I'd go ahead and replace it. I'd do it myself so I wasn't dependent on others.

60 feet is a piece of cake. Lay a line out 60 feet on the floor.  Amazingly short.

Keep the old one as a spare too, maybe store it in deionized/RO/distilled water.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agree, early failure is a real thing, and keeping a spare with the required install components might be desirable.

This said if you are going to have a spare anyhow, then I'd go ahead and replace it. I'd do it myself so I wasn't dependent on others.

60 feet is a piece of cake. Lay a line out 60 feet on the floor.  Amazingly short.

Keep the old one as a spare too, maybe store it in deionized/RO/distilled water.
View Quote
Recommendation on replacing your own pump:
When you drag the pump tubing out of the well - make sure you lay it down on clean tarp, not the lawn.

A lot of people around here ended up with bacterial contamination because a local plumber was dragging the tubing out onto the lawn, and it picked up contaminated deer poop on the way out/into the hole.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
note:
in areas where the temperature drops below 32'F, a modern method is used to prevent the well head from freezing up.

the well casing comes to the surface, of course, but the actual pipe carrying water up from the pump does not.
instead, it terminates about 3-6 feet down from grade, using a special well coupling called a "pitless adapter".
that's an obtuse term for a device which allows the well pump and pipe string to "hang" from the inside of the well casing.
and where it hangs the water is diverted horizontally though a gasketed coupling.
the horizontal water pipe (sometimes referred to as the "lateral") continues underground (and below the frost line) until it enters the dwelling through a basement wall or from under the slab.
this way, ALL water stays below the frost line and in liquid form, no matter how cold it gets and for how long.

here is a related youtube video that has an important feature...
the pump is in a giant 2' diameter casing under a windmill, so you can actually see what the hell is going on with respect to the pitless adapter:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqdsIxcWrbw

in my AO, the frost line is (by code) at 42" below grade; most well installers will trench 4-5 feet (48-60") for running the lateral in.
you can get a pretty good idea of how deep the lateral is run by measuring from the inside foundation wall pipe penetration up to the outside grade.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
note:
in areas where the temperature drops below 32'F, a modern method is used to prevent the well head from freezing up.

the well casing comes to the surface, of course, but the actual pipe carrying water up from the pump does not.
instead, it terminates about 3-6 feet down from grade, using a special well coupling called a "pitless adapter".
that's an obtuse term for a device which allows the well pump and pipe string to "hang" from the inside of the well casing.
and where it hangs the water is diverted horizontally though a gasketed coupling.
the horizontal water pipe (sometimes referred to as the "lateral") continues underground (and below the frost line) until it enters the dwelling through a basement wall or from under the slab.
this way, ALL water stays below the frost line and in liquid form, no matter how cold it gets and for how long.

the pump is in a giant 2' diameter casing under a windmill, so you can actually see what the hell is going on with respect to the pitless adapter:  

in my AO, the frost line is (by code) at 42" below grade; most well installers will trench 4-5 feet (48-60") for running the lateral in.
you can get a pretty good idea of how deep the lateral is run by measuring from the inside foundation wall pipe penetration up to the outside grade.

ar-jedi

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0203/4616/products/IMG_2024_1024x1024.jpg

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/pitless.JPG

http://www.agr.gc.ca/resources/prod/img/water-eau/wells_grndwtr_fig1-eng.jpg

http://twoicefloes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Pitless-Adapter.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
note:

ar-jedi

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0203/4616/products/IMG_2024_1024x1024.jpg

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/pitless.JPG

http://www.agr.gc.ca/resources/prod/img/water-eau/wells_grndwtr_fig1-eng.jpg

http://twoicefloes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Pitless-Adapter.jpg
Thanks.

I am going to make my own 2 handle pull from 1 inch black pipe in case I need to pull the pump to use a well bucket.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When you drag the pump tubing out of the well - make sure you lay it down on clean tarp, not the lawn.

A lot of people around here ended up with bacterial contamination because a local plumber was dragging the tubing out onto the lawn, and it picked up contaminated deer poop on the way out/into the hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW good to know... 400 feet of 160 psi 1.25 inch poly pipe does not lay down on a tarp....... I guess the next time I work on my pipe I need to sterilize it going back in.
All the commercial guys around here toss it on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

WOW good to know... 400 feet of 160 psi 1.25 inch poly pipe does not lay down on a tarp....... I guess the next time I work on my pipe I need to sterilize it going back in.
View Quote
This^^^

We hooked a tractor to mine and pulled it out across the ground. Well guy said to dump some bleach down the well when we were done. I didn't, I'm still here...
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine was the rigid white PVC pipe.  My well was about 15' from part of my house, so when we pulled it, 180' of pipe, I had two friends at the well and I got up on the roof and walked the pipe up and over the house to my son who was on the ground and he walked it out across the grass.  Going up over the house kept it from breaking.  We never sanitized anything when we put it back down the well.  Never got sick.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Italy had a cluster outbreak and has locked down 11 cities including police roadblocks at all roads in and out of the cities.

Total case progression in Italy:

Feb. 24: 229 cases (day still in progress)

Feb. 23: 157 cases

Feb. 22:   79 cases

Feb. 21:   21 cases

Feb. 20:   4 cases
View Quote
They have not been able to track down patient zero in Italy, so they are not aware of where the virus was imported from.

Friday, the City of Costa Mesa, California sued a litany of defendants, including the US Government, Air Force, HHS, DHS, etc., to prevent the transfer of infected to the city.  Evidently the city received notice Thursday at 5:20 pm that the Defendants planned to relocate between 30 and 50 patients infected with the Coronavirus from Travis AFB to an old dilapidated hospital previously used for the disabled in Costa Mesa.  As of last Friday, the US was only showing around 15 infected (not including the infected from the cruise ship).  The lawsuit questioned the CDC numbers alleging that there were low.

We know that the people from the princess cruise ship were flown to Travis AFB and also into a TX AFB.  From those locations, the infected were flown to a hospital in NE.  I'm not sure whether the remaining "not infected" passengers remained quarantined or were released.  Either way, Travis AFB has 30-50 infected that don't appear to show up in official numbers.

Saturday, a federal judge prevented the transfer of the infected patients to Costa Mesa.  link
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Either way, Travis AFB has 30-50 infected that don't appear to show up in official numbers.
View Quote
Tracker I'm watching (previously linked in this thread) has US cases up 18 today for a total of 53 so it's plausible that the news with the data and statistics just isn't coming as fast as the proactive measures of those trying to get ahead of this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#49]
China Re-Quarantines 'Cured' Coronavirus Patients

Authorities in the Chinese city of Wuhan introduced a 14-day mandatory quarantine this weekend for patients who had supposedly recovered from the coronavirus after some discharged patients again tested positive for the disease.

Saturday afternoon, all patients who had recovered and been discharged were forced to return to quarantine, the city's coronavirus treatment and control command center announced on the Chinese social media site Weibo.

The new arrangements were announced after disease control experts warned that those who had supposedly made a recovery from the virus may have not done so after all and may still carry the virus and present a consequent contagion risk.

Wuhan and the wider Hubei province continue to account for the vast majority of coronavirus cases across China where around 78,000 people have been infected and nearly 2,500 have died. Many have questioned these official figures from the Communist Party.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Italy’s death rate are almost 1% higher than average. That’s interesting.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top