Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
a good old ar-15.  its my go to rifle. iv been using them for 30+ years, carried them for months on end everyday, trained with them, qualified with them, stripped and assembled them thousands of times. they are plenty accurate, plenty powerful, ammo is easy to find, parts are easy to get, its light weight, reliable, and carries lots of ammo. my main rifle is a sig sauer m400 sbr, but I have 16 inch rifles handy as well.  If I was going to be dropped in the wilderness of north America / Africa 1000 years ago, of Jurassic park id probably pick something a lot different, but for dealing with man sized animals and smaller its ideal. IMHO.

my perfect version would probably be collapsible stocked, 14.5" barrel,  flat top receiver, front sight tower / bayonet lug, with a ACOG on it and a buis, and a simple lightweight light. simple, and rugged and versatile.

adding a suppressor, pvs-14 and ir laser to the mix would make it about as perfect as possible. much quieter, and allows you to engage targets at night. which is a huge advantage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The trusty rugged tool you'd grab when forced to flee your home, the one rifle you'd have to defend yourself against the bad guys and acquire food for you and your family.
View Quote
My 22 LR AR pistol would work well enough for that.  Can carry lots of ammo, kill anything in this area, it's reliable, and it's quiet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The trusty rugged tool you'd grab when forced to flee your home, the one rifle you'd have to defend yourself against the bad guys and acquire food for you and your family.
View Quote
Probably an 1895 Winchester in .30-06 though I prefer that gun in .30-40 caliber.

Second choice would be a Winchester 94AE with on board ammo and a light.

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my perfect version would probably be collapsible stocked, 14.5" barrel,  flat top receiver, front sight tower / bayonet lug, with a ACOG on it and a buis, and a simple lightweight light. simple, and rugged and versatile.

adding a suppressor, pvs-14 and ir laser to the mix would make it about as perfect as possible. much quieter, and allows you to engage targets at night. which is a huge advantage.
View Quote
This right here. I have what is essentially an M4, 14.5" (Pin and welded with suppressor mount) BCM chrome-lined government profiled upper, Fail-Zero BCG, Geisele SSA trigger, TA31 ACOS (has Docter Optic on top of ACOG), KAC RAS rail, Magpul CTR stock, grip, and ladder rails, and Elzetta light. If it was a worst case scenario I'd pull my ATPIAL from another and mount it for night capability.

Really hard to beat the simplicity, ruggedness, and effectiveness of this combo. There are lighter options now, but I can't chase all the rainbows.

If it did't get to the absolute worse case my 300 Blackout SBR would get the nod. Its an Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced version, 8" nitride barrel, AAC 7.62 SDN-6 suppressor, NiB BCG, Gissele SSA-E trigger, Aimpoint Pro, ATPIAL, etc. I use it more than any other gun because I hunt hogs year round to control their numbers on our and brothers hay fields. It is better suited for Man vs Nature due to ammo constraints and range though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
My kiss 14.5" BCM carbine with an A2 and Trijicon MRO.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Daaaamn! Is that a 16"? It looks great. What stock cuff do you have there?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
AR15

I can take large game with it.  I know it's "too small" to "ethically take game" and "not legal to use in a licensed hunt" in most states.

That being said, if I'm hunting for survival.....I'm not going to give a single crap about it being "too small."

Ammo is light, it's better in a fight than a bolt gun, and ammo is more likely to be found for it than pretty much any other caliber in existence on the NA continent.  (I also have a shit-ton of it).

Shot placement will get the game down, and in that scenario, it being "quieter" than the larger rounds will also be of benefit.  Really need to build a .300bo upper and suppress it.....but that's next year's project.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AR15

I can take large game with it.  I know it's "too small" to "ethically take game" and "not legal to use in a licensed hunt" in most states.

That being said, if I'm hunting for survival.....I'm not going to give a single crap about it being "too small."

Ammo is light, it's better in a fight than a bolt gun, and ammo is more likely to be found for it than pretty much any other caliber in existence on the NA continent.  (I also have a shit-ton of it).

Shot placement will get the game down, and in that scenario, it being "quieter" than the larger rounds will also be of benefit.  Really need to build a .300bo upper and suppress it.....but that's next year's project.  
View Quote
I think it's legal in most states now. From personal experience, a good .223 will knock pretty much anything in the South East over. Now with bullets like the Barnes TSX...you can really hunt just about anything with it. And yes, I agree - if I have to hunt to survive, it's way past giving a crap about laws. I have take Kudu, impala, warthog and a few other critters with .223 - one shot kills, all of them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think it's legal in most states now. From personal experience, a good .223 will knock pretty much anything in the South East over. Now with bullets like the Barnes TSX...you can really hunt just about anything with it. And yes, I agree - if I have to hunt to survive, it's way past giving a crap about laws. I have take Kudu, impala, warthog and a few other critters with .223 - one shot kills, all of them.
View Quote
Legal on deer here, not on elk.  I don't hunt deer, I hunt elk.  I'm comfortable putting an elk down with one, but law here is .24 caliber or larger.  Also FMJ is not legal, has to be hollowpoint or plastic tipped (I'm ok with this).  So, basically it's .243 and above.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Legal on deer here, not on elk.  I don't hunt deer, I hunt elk.  I'm comfortable putting an elk down with one, but law here is .24 caliber or larger.  Also FMJ is not legal, has to be hollowpoint or plastic tipped (I'm ok with this).  So, basically it's .243 and above.  
View Quote
Yeah, never hunted elk. A bit bigger than a Kudu, but with proper shot placement, can be done I'm sure. I know of some guys that have taken Eland with .223 - but that's really pushing it. Sorry, 99% of my hunting experience is in South Africa - only ever hunted Deer, dogs and possums here. haha.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, never hunted elk. A bit bigger than a Kudu, but with proper shot placement, can be done I'm sure. I know of some guys that have taken Eland with .223 - but that's really pushing it. Sorry, 99% of my hunting experience is in South Africa - only ever hunted Deer, dogs and possums here. haha.
View Quote
No worries.  Your point about shot placement is right, as long as the round has enough penetration to hit what you are trying to destroy.

I'm of the mindset that the only reason to go up in caliber is if you are forced by terrain to take longer shots.  But where I hunt, all of my shots have been within 50m and I had a selection of about 10 cow elk (I always drew cow tags).  I just looked for the youngest legal with a good shot.  Never had a problem.  I used a .30-06 on those hunts because that's the gun I had.  But I didn't need it, could have put those elk down with a .243 and if I can do it with a .243 I can do it with 5.56 and modern ammo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No worries.  Your point about shot placement is right, as long as the round has enough penetration to hit what you are trying to destroy.

I'm of the mindset that the only reason to go up in caliber is if you are forced by terrain to take longer shots.  But where I hunt, all of my shots have been within 50m and I had a selection of about 10 cow elk (I always drew cow tags).  I just looked for the youngest legal with a good shot.  Never had a problem.  I used a .30-06 on those hunts because that's the gun I had.  But I didn't need it, could have put those elk down with a .243 and if I can do it with a .243 I can do it with 5.56 and modern ammo.
View Quote
Very good point. I agree completely. With shots at those ranges, a .223 will take down just about any antelope. We had a bit longer ranges - about 150 to 200m and .223 worked good. This was usually out of a BRNO with a looooong barrel. If I had to guess, about 24".
I can get behind a .243 - probably one of the most underrated calibers out there. That thing has some legs! I've read of people using it on larger critters.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Daaaamn! Is that a 16"? It looks great. What stock cuff do you have there?
View Quote
Yes, 16" Trapper. Hill People Gear makes the stock cuff as well as the light mount.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, 16" Trapper. Hill People Gear makes the stock cuff as well as the light mount.
View Quote
Thanks! I'll be keeping my eyes open for a trapper. That looks sharp. I couldn't find any ballistics info on 30-30 out of a 16". I'd assume something around 2300fps for the 150gr stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR15

I've seen Barnes take down some impressive, angry pigs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've seen Barnes take down some impressive, angry pigs.
View Quote
That bullet allows a 223 to punch way above its weight!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Scar 16, Aimpoint, night vision, etc

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
What species of deer and elk do they have in Tunisia?  Were they transplanted there?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AR15

View Quote
I disagree. I think the 5.56mm / .223 Remington is plenty powerful to kill deer sized game ( say 300lbs and below). its a great round for woman and kids due to the super low recoil as well, and fast follow up shots. I have used mine plenty of times to kill deer and its a devastating round.  its a GREAT hunting round as long as you play to its strengths, and avoid shooting thru shoulders, hams, etc. I generally use Hornady TAP ammo, and it makes a super nasty wound channel. looks like a .410 shotgun was pressed against the animals side and shot. where I hunt at my longest shot is  200 yards, and usually a lot less than that.

5.56mm wound.

that's a ENTRY wound, not a exit wound. the bullet hit the rib and exploded, turning it into a shotgun shell basically. the larger chunks of bullet passed thru the vitals, and came to rest under the hide on the far side. shredded the heart, and lungs. deer make it 30 feet after the shot. its also why I use 5.56mm ballistic tip ammo as my go to ammo. its super, super nasty. I did a few tests years ago, and shot a recently killed deer in the neck with 5.56mm ammo. I used xm193 fmj, and ballistic tip. the fmj punched thru leaving a entry and exit hole almost the same size, while the ballistic tip blew out a fist sized exit hole. im sure the fmj did some decent internal damage, but there was no doubt the ballistic tip did way more. I stock both bullet types, and have way more fmj, basically cause its a lot cheaper, but I have quite a bit of the ballistic tip, mainly TAP, and TRU ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Probably an 1895 Winchester in .30-06 though I prefer that gun in .30-40 caliber.

https://i.imgur.com/QLypAgP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SnIkCKM.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/QLypAgP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SnIkCKM.jpg
I love those 16" trappers.  I have a marlin 20" .44 mag im probably going to take to Guncat and have him shorten it to 16.5" and thread the barrel. I want to make this.

I want to turn this.
Attachment Attached File

into this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#21]
If we are running out the door?

AR and a 10/22
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I love those 16" trappers.  I have a marlin 20" .44 mag im probably going to take to Guncat and have him shorten it to 16.5" and thread the barrel. I want to make this.

I want to turn this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92687/14910406_10207148624745945_8695138996665319516_n_zpsts3ofukd_jpg-702410.JPG

into this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92687/marlin-1894-1_jpg-702411.JPG
View Quote
The trappers are very handle little guns!

All three of these is considered a carbine by Winchester but the little '92 in .45 Colt is a great compact companion.

Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I disagree. I think the 5.56mm / .223 Remington is plenty powerful to kill deer sized game ( say 300lbs and below). its a great round for woman and kids due to the super low recoil as well, and fast follow up shots. I have used mine plenty of times to kill deer and its a devastating round.  its a GREAT hunting round as long as you play to its strengths, and avoid shooting thru shoulders, hams, etc. I generally use Hornady TAP ammo, and it makes a super nasty wound channel. looks like a .410 shotgun was pressed against the animals side and shot. where I hunt at my longest shot is  200 yards, and usually a lot less than that.

5.56mm wound.

that's a ENTRY wound, not a exit wound. the bullet hit the rib and exploded, turning it into a shotgun shell basically. the larger chunks of bullet passed thru the vitals, and came to rest under the hide on the far side. shredded the heart, and lungs. deer make it 30 feet after the shot. its also why I use 5.56mm ballistic tip ammo as my go to ammo. its super, super nasty. I did a few tests years ago, and shot a recently killed deer in the neck with 5.56mm ammo. I used xm193 fmj, and ballistic tip. the fmj punched thru leaving a entry and exit hole almost the same size, while the ballistic tip blew out a fist sized exit hole. im sure the fmj did some decent internal damage, but there was no doubt the ballistic tip did way more. I stock both bullet types, and have way more fmj, basically cause its a lot cheaper, but I have quite a bit of the ballistic tip, mainly TAP, and TRU ammo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92687/deerballistics_jpg-702400.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AR15

5.56mm wound.

Objective post.  Nicely done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

5.56mm wound.

View Quote
That's why I think it's an ok round for shooting deer. Not for hunting.

The difference is that if you can pick your shot, have all the time in the world, pass on less then perfect shots.

For hunting, where I'm still hunting and may take a less then perfect shot, moving, etc I want something heavier. I want to be able puch through ribs and shoulders.

I've shot several dozen deer with 556, including m193 and feel fine with the shots I took, but those were perfect shots with crop damage permits.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is currently an 8" 300BO SBR that I just ordered a can for. Small, light, fast shooting and good to 200 yards. If it plays out well I think I'll swap a 1-4 over to it to replace the red dot and run it with the can full time. I like the option of quiet to not draw attention or bump up to supers if you need better ballistics. I never feel undergunned with a 45 so I don't think I"ll worry about 220gn subs in a rifle. Especially with 30 round mags...
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
It really depends on the scenario.  At this point you have to recognize that a quality ar15 type platform is the most vetted and versatile rifle you could grab.  Probably for me it would be my 5.56 LMT MRP.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It really depends on the scenario.  At this point you have to recognize that a quality ar15 type platform is the most vetted and versatile rifle you could grab.  Probably for me it would be my 5.56 LMT MRP.
View Quote
Yep.
I shot about 1,000 rounds through my Colt M4 last week (300 rounds first day and 700 rounds day after). It ran like a champ. Zero issues and very accurate. I was amazed at how clean the rifle was after that many rounds. It could easily last 5,000+ more rounds without cleaning. The barrel is chromed and had very little dirt in it. BCM was surprisingly clean too.
I shot my Arsenal AK and it was filthy dirty after 300 rounds. The M4 was just warm after rapidly firing 100 rounds. The AK was much hotter after 100 rounds. I could barely hold it without getting burns on my hands.
Colt AR rules!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#28]
M4 carbine with TA31 RCO, IR laser and 30-40 rd mags.
I've hunted with it, competed with it, and trained with it.

Day or Night.

Its easier to hunt with a fighting rifle than fight with a hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:42:13 AM EDT
[#29]
henry's version of the charter arms takedown 22 is pretty nice. That and a 38/357 revolver should be all you need.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#30]
If I could only have one give me a 6920 with Aimpoint and 6P.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#31]
My SBR with Lmt CQBR upper and nt4, scout light, and t-1.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
My Heckler & Koch 91A2 w/ Springfield Armory 6 X 40 scope.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I could only have one give me a 6920 with Aimpoint and 6P.
View Quote
This ^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#34]
AR15 12" SBR, w/ ACOG mini, white light, PEQ15, silencer and NODs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#35]
6920 with a TA-11 and a SF MiniScout

I suppose there would be scenarios I’d rather grab my 10/22 and probably a scenario or two that I’d grab my LMT MWS, although it currently has no optic.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Noveske Afghan with Elcan Specter DR, and Geissele SSA-E.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#37]
One of my SBR's. Concealed carry would be top priority in a shtf bug out scenario.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not leaving.

Standard M-1 Garand.  If they get in, plenty of assorted mayhem with whatever is at hand.
View Quote
This.

I've got plenty of ARs if bugging-out is the decision ... Staying put and standing ground?  I'll first grab my loaded M1 (.308/7.62). I've shot Garands for 25-years, and if you know how to run them, they're still an accurate and effective weapon.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#40]
colt 6520. simple,light,handy as fuck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#41]
My sbr. I built it for that very reason.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#42]
It really depends on the situation. An invasion would get a different response than a catastrophe (massive volcanic eruption or meteor strike, etc).Not knowing what the reason for leaving makes choosing difficult.

I’m going to cheat ...

Colt 6720 with DD A1.5 rear sight and Aimpoint T-1 in a LaRue Mount.

PLUS ...

Ruger 10/22 stainless takedown with Tech Sight TRS-200 in my backpack.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#43]
My other choice would be a LMT MRP 16” with TA31.  I think I could drive over it and it wouldn’t be any worse for the wear.

Still need a 22LR in the pack.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#44]
If I’m out and about Currently my home built 5.56 18” SPR with PST 1-6x, on the left. If things work out like I think they will, that would be replaced by this new build a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel pistol build, on the right, with either an Aimpoint or the PST. The light weight and ballistics make the Grendel a better all around gun.
[img]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51066/62098F33-8A64-45CC-8A1B-A161445D5C41_jpeg-783120.JPG[/

If I’m sticking close to home my AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor with 22” barrel and either the PST 1-6 or 5-25. Living in farm country being able to see for 2000 plus yards in any direction is not uncommon. I can see for 1000 plus yards in two directions from my home and 500 plus the other two. So the big rifle makes sens as long as you don’t have to carry it very far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Suppressed Beretta model 70 in .22 cal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of AR's mentioned... so I'll be the red headed step child.  Defend against bad guys...?  Acquire food? I can do both in a much more realistic way (IMO) with my suppressed 10/22.  16' ss bbl, BC folding stock, 2x7 nikon.   And I can do it with a lot more ammo for the same weight.  YMMV

ETA missed the other pages on the first read,,,others also in the .22 rimfire boat with me
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Lots of AR's mentioned... so I'll be the red headed step child.  Defend against bad guys...?  Acquire food? I can do both in a much more realistic way (IMO) with my suppressed 10/22.  16' ss bbl, BC folding stock, 2x7 nikon.   And I can do it with a lot more ammo for the same weight.  YMMV

ETA missed the other pages on the first read,,,others also in the .22 rimfire boat with me
View Quote
GUNKID?

Much depends on what you're trying to survive.  I've always found it interesting that SERE/survival instructors from USRSOG have always advocated for a semi-auto .22LR pistol with RDS (a suppressor would add even far more versatility).  From a defensive standpoint, the .22LR isn't ideal, but I think most would likely have a more reasonable CCW; if anything .22LR could at least provide suppressive fire enough to break contact.  There's no denying that the .22LR is an extremely capable small-medium game/fowl round...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Right this minute? Probably my mossberg 500.
If I knew I had to leave? AR15 - soon to have 13.7" pinned barrel and TA33 (it's a 16" with Aimpoint now). CMMG .22 conversion for small game if needed, but it will do just about everything I need it to do in the South East.
View Quote
Correct answer
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Right this minute? Probably my mossberg 500.
If I knew I had to leave? AR15 - soon to have 13.7" pinned barrel and TA33 (it's a 16" with Aimpoint now). CMMG .22 conversion for small game if needed, but it will do just about everything I need it to do in the South East.
View Quote
Correct answer (with variations)
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Survival and hunting?  10/22 with Silencerco Sparow.  Defense?  Any of my M4geries or Franken AR SBR with a YHM 5.56 Phantom and Aimpoint PRO with BUIS.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top