Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have had my ar15 freeze up even though i had it winterized.
View Quote
and what is that?

@akcaribouhunter
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The M1 Garand successfully operated in the sub-zero temps of Western Europe and Korea. It's a durable, battle-proven action under the harshest conditions you can put a rifle through ...

Sure, the type of lubrication matters, but given the right lube for the right environment, the ol' M1 and the M1A/M14 (which is just a Garand-derivative platform) can still get the job done.

No need to believe the AR-platform is the only solution.
View Quote
I remember reading a Marine’s medal citation where his machine gun crew held out against repeated banzai charges and silent night infiltration raids.  He least all his crews eventually and during the fight he went through three Garands that were “hopelessly” jammed with sand and iirc he went to his pistol and possible some melee weapons like an E tool or bayonet.  Come morning he slipped out to another platoon to get some replacements and went back all covered in blood.

I thought it strikingly odd that three Garands choked on sand. Not impossible and sand does suck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I remember reading a Marine’s medal citation where his machine gun crew held out against repeated banzai charges and silent night infiltration raids.  He least all his crews eventually and during the fight he went through three Garands that were “hopelessly” jammed with sand and iirc he went to his pistol and possible some melee weapons like an E tool or bayonet.  Come morning he slipped out to another platoon to get some replacements and went back all covered in blood.  
I thought it strikingly odd that three Garands choked on sand. Not impossible and sand does suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M1 Garand successfully operated in the sub-zero temps of Western Europe and Korea. It's a durable, battle-proven action under the harshest conditions you can put a rifle through ...

Sure, the type of lubrication matters, but given the right lube for the right environment, the ol' M1 and the M1A/M14 (which is just a Garand-derivative platform) can still get the job done.

Yes, ... and there are any number of accounts of M16s choking up in the sandbox - first Gulf War, or the more recent one. Sand will clog actions, no question.

Since we're talking about frigid-weather functioning, there's also the famous story of Korean War MOH recipient, Hector Cafferata, using multiple Garands (loaded and handed to him by wounded buddies) to keep hundreds of Chinese attackers from over-running the right flank of the Marine line at the Chosin Reservoir. Although his MOH citation says he killed something like 50 enemy soldiers,  the Marines who policed the area after the battle think Cafferata killed closer to 200.

He was fighting them off all night in knee-high snow and sub-zero temps.

Again, as far as functioning under frigid conditions, the M1, and the Garand-derivative M14/M1A, have a well-deserved and hard-earned reputation for reliability.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bolt actions easily fail in the cold.  I've seen several fail on elk hunting trips at near 0 degrees.  You have to clean EVERYTHING off the firing pin, spring and bolt interior or they will not work!  
View Quote
Yes, ... but A LOT depends on what model of bolt actions we're talking about.

Those rifles with mil-pedigrees (1917s, 1903/03A3s, German Mausers, Mosins, etc) that have been properly lubed with the right compounds will continue to cycle and operate in harsh, frigid temps while those built on commercial actions, with their tight tolerances, have a higher chance of seizing up. And you definitely want a mil-derivative bolt action with the Mauser "claw" for certainty of extraction.

Remember too that cold-weather wartime experience isn't restricted to U.S.-made arms. German Mausers and Soviet Mosins faced off against each other during WW2 in some really frigid temps and deep snow all along the Eastern Front, not just at Stalingrad.

The Brit .303 Lee-Enfield Mk IIIs and Mk IVs saw some pretty dicey wartime weather conditions, but I've never seen any accounts of how those rifles fared in sub-zero/Arctic temps, ... although the Canadians could probably tell us since they still use those rifles quite a bit up there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe that the LSA-T was what I was taught in the Marines to use on are machine guns. Might be wrong that was 13 years ago.

Just know getting our hands on it was rare. When I worked as a police officer in North Dakota I used Frog Lube and never had a problem with my pistol locking up and I worked night that dropped down to -60 degrees with the wind chill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess the expert writers of that article were not aware the military has special lubricant for Arctic conditions.

It's called Lubricant, Arctic Weapons.
I believe that the LSA-T was what I was taught in the Marines to use on are machine guns. Might be wrong that was 13 years ago.

Just know getting our hands on it was rare. When I worked as a police officer in North Dakota I used Frog Lube and never had a problem with my pistol locking up and I worked night that dropped down to -60 degrees with the wind chill.
LSA and LAW are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess the expert writers of that article were not aware the military has special lubricant for Arctic conditions.

Circa 1987 I vaguely recall in machine gunnery school they did say LSA for cold weather instead of CLP.   I don’t recall Lubricant, Arctic Weather.   And I was issued skis, snow shoes, and pulled a MFn akio sled.

Then again my first winter fx gear up for cold weather training and  They sent us out in standard field jackets and black leather boots.   It was -30 at night and of course I was in a night ambush that didn’t get sprung til 0130.   Our special issue was the field jacket liner and the leather gloves with liners.   The next year we got lots more including mickeys and CW parkas and extreme CW bags.   The third year we got the whole shebang with over whites and large Alice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember reading somewhere that the Marines in Korea used hair tonic to lubricate Garands.

As far as bolt guns:  1917s are used on Greenland, and the Canadians were using SMLEs until very recently, which makes me wonder if cock-on-closing operation is an advantage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:* * *
As far as bolt guns:  1917s are used on Greenland, and the Canadians were using SMLEs until very recently, which makes me wonder if cock-on-closing operation is an advantage.
View Quote
That's a good point about the action mechanism of the .303 SMLEs. I'd forgotten about that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Below I copied the text I found of a test that was done by a State Trooper in Alaska. I once did an informal test of my AR. I left it out in the shed overnight when it got down to 0 degrees F. Next morning, I charged the rifle and it fired a half dozen rounds fine. But that really does not prove anything. A real test is when the rifle is subject to field carry and abuse over the course of a few days in freezing weather. The Alaska test below was thorough and tough.

I think the AR is the best overall rifle available for the money. But if I thought I was going to be dumped into the wilderness in the middle of winter, I'd want an AK type rifle.

A few years ago, before Saiga rifles were banned from importation, I thought a Saiga 223, converted to use AR magazines, would be a super choice. But the Saiga's got banned, the market for adapting them to take AR mags dried up, and ARs themselves have become ridiculously inexpensive and so widely available. The AR is such a good rifle for so many reasons, but based on the testing below, I'd still prefer an AK for the most brutal winter conditions.

SWAT Magazine April 1986

EXTREME COLD WEATHER TESTING

Treacherous Weather, Dangerous Killers And Lonely Roads Dictate That Alaska State Troopers Be Equipped With The Finest Cold Weather Rifles Available

By Jeffery Hall

Nationwide, law enforcement agencies are encountering criminals armed with sophisticated weapons. Assault rifles, shotguns, quality handguns, and automatic weapons are common. The traditional service revolver and pump shotgun are often outclassed in a firefight.

This situation is especially hazardous to the state trooper or highway patrol officer. These officers work lonely stretches of roadway, far from back-up and support facilities. A rifle can make all the differences, as encounters often take place at ranges beyond the effective range of shotguns or revolvers. This was dramatically shown in the Norco, California, bank robbery.

Several state police agencies have adopted a service rifle to be carried in the patrol car to augment the shotgun and revolver. Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi, Kansas, Idaho and others have selected and adopted a service rifle for general issue. In some cases, this program started after a specific incident in which officers were injured or killed due to a lack of effective firepower.

In February of 1984, I was authorized by the Alaska State Troopers to conduct an evaluation of existing rifles for consideration as a service rifle. Due to the climate of Alaska, certain specific requirements had to be met.

We began by listing the basic requirements we felt necessary. These were:

1. 100% reliability after prolonged cold exposure
2. Night sights, if available
3. Large trigger guard for use with gloved hands
4. Folding stock
5. .223 or .308 calibers
6. Detachable box magazine, 20 to 30 round capacity
7. Must have a flash suppressor and sling mounts
8. Require minimum maintenance

The major firearms importers and manufacturers were contacted and asked to submit a sample weapon for testing. A clear understanding was reached with each supplier that the weapons would probably be damaged during testing.

Upon receipt, each weapon was inspected and field stripped. Each received a thorough cleaning to remove all oil and grease. The weapons were not lubricated at all following the cleaning.

All of the test samples were taken to the range by our special weapons team marksman. He fired each for familiarity, using different firing positions and ranges. We were not concerned with match accuracy, only with a consistent shot group in the four-inch range. All were fired using the same lot of military ball ammo, and the same lots of Federal FMJ ammunition in .223 and .308, respectively.

All of the rifles fired, showed acceptable accuracy, with none being exceptional. The HK-91 showed the tightest groups, averaging about two inches. Approximately 200 rounds were fired through each rifle, and they were not cleaned after shooting.

We then loaded guns and gear into a four-wheel drive vehicle and drove 400 miles north of Fairbanks to Coldfoot, Alaska: The average daily high temperature was -20° F, with lows at night in the -40° F range. These were good working temperatures and would be consistent with much of the state during the winter months.

The first test consisted of leaving the weapons outside for several hours, then bringing them into a warm room for thirty minutes. This allows moisture to condense on the weapons, which then freezes when they are put back outside. This often occurs when a firearm is brought into a warm room then put back into a cold car trunk. This warming/ cooling cycle was repeated six times with each weapon. No malfunctions resulted, with all of the rifles being capable of fire.

Next, one pint of warm water was poured into the bolt and trigger group of each weapon. It was then allowed to stand outside in -20° F weather for three hours. After three additional hours inside we experienced a 60% failure to function in the weapons. Either the hammer would not fall at all, or the hammer fall was too weak to detonate the round. The only weapons that experienced no malfunction were the two Galils, the Valmet and the FNC.

All of the weapons were then brought into a heated room (+70° F) and warmed for thirty minutes. After heating, all of the rifles functioned properly. Unfortunately, heated shelter may not be available when needed.

Finally, all of the weapons were cleaned of ice and lubricated heavily with Break-free. The lubricant was sprayed into the bolts and trigger groups and the weapons were cold soaked for fourteen hours at -40° F. The test showed the true colors of the weapons involved, for all but four failed to function after this test. Again, only the Galils, the Valmet, and the FNC were able to function and fire. The other weapons showed bolts frozen shut, selectors and safeties frozen, and hammers that would not fall. All of the rifles but the Galils, Valmet, and FNC were then eliminated for consideration. These, not surprisingly, share a Kalashnikov ancestry. The weapons performed as follows:

7.62 Galil No Malfunction

5.56 Galil No Malfunction

HK-91 A round was chambered and would not fire. Round was manually extracted, another was chambered which did fire. The weapon cycled and the third round would not fire. Manually operated, fourth round would not fire. Charging handle broke off.

HK-93 Fire rounds manually cycled, none fired.

HK-93A3 Same as above.

Valmet No Malfunction.

Ruger Mini-14 Five rounds manually cycled, none fired, hammer frozen, safety frozen.

M1-A Bolt would not draw far enough to the rear to chamber a round. Unable to fire.

Colt M-16 Forward assist had to be used to close the bolt. Selector frozen, could not be moved. Five rounds cycled manually, none fired.

Colt AR-15 Magazine release frozen, selector frozen.

FN-FAL Five rounds manually cycled, none fired.

FN-FNC Five rounds fired with no malfunctions. Last casing stovepiped in ejection port. Gas regulator moved to "adverse conditions" setting and five rounds fired with no malfunctions.

We later spoke with a factory representative of one of the companies involved, who was very disturbed at our results. He called his engineering department, who assured him that if the weapon was cleaned, then lightly lubricated with a synthetic lubricant, it would function properly. The entire purpose of the evaluation was to see if any of the weapons could stand up to the neglect and direct abuse we gave it. If all had failed, we would have felt that our test was unrealistic. The fact that four of the weapons performed 100% of the time shows that some are suited and some are unsuited to a cold climate. In addition, police officers are notorious for neglecting their equipment, even though their lives depend on it.

There were many other features considered in deciding which weapon we preferred. Weight, balance, trigger pull, sights, ease of operation, cost, availability of options, ease of maintenance, etc. were all considered.

The clear winner and our first choice was the Galil .223. It was 100% reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. It has the best night sights available and an excellent folding stock. It has a reciprocating bolt handle, which can be drawn to the rear then pushed forward to lock a round in the chamber. This is a very desirable feature when the weapon is frozen or very dirty. The bolt and safety can be manipulated with either hand. It is very easy to field strip, without tools, and parts are easily replaced.

The Galil and its accessories are expensive, but not out of reach. If you are with a police department or an individual that works in a cold climate, it is the best weapon you can get.

For information on the Galil, contact: Douglas Evans, Magnum Research, 2825 Anthony Lane S., Minneapolis, MN 55418.

NOTE: The Alaska State Troopers have not yet adopted a service rifle, due to budgetary limitations and other factors. This article expresses the opinions of the author. The Department of Public Safety does not endorse any product.

The author: Jeffrey Hall is a veteran of the 173rd Airborne and 75th Infantry (Ranger). An Alaska State Trooper for seven years, he has been a member of the Department's Special Weapons Team for four years, and is presently assistant team leader. He holds a black belt in karate and is two time state IPSC Pistol Champion.

Troy L. Duncan, Alaska State Trooper, was the co-author of this project. A former Marine captain, Duncan had spent two years testing and evaluating cold weather equipment for the U.S.M.C. Trooper Duncan was a member of the Department's Special Weapons Team and was killed in action while arresting a multiple homicide Suspect.
View Quote
The author has more recently stated that he uses an aR in Alaska and the report reflects an incomplete knowledge of the facts.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]

As far south as I am, I'll be good to stick with the M4. If I did have to go to another platform, it'd likely be a battle rifle in 7.62 like the FAL or PTR91.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The author has more recently stated that he uses an aR in Alaska and the report reflects an incomplete knowledge of the facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Below I copied the text I found of a test that was done by a State Trooper in Alaska. I once did an informal test of my AR. I left it out in the shed overnight when it got down to 0 degrees F. Next morning, I charged the rifle and it fired a half dozen rounds fine. But that really does not prove anything. A real test is when the rifle is subject to field carry and abuse over the course of a few days in freezing weather. The Alaska test below was thorough and tough.

I think the AR is the best overall rifle available for the money. But if I thought I was going to be dumped into the wilderness in the middle of winter, I'd want an AK type rifle.

A few years ago, before Saiga rifles were banned from importation, I thought a Saiga 223, converted to use AR magazines, would be a super choice. But the Saiga's got banned, the market for adapting them to take AR mags dried up, and ARs themselves have become ridiculously inexpensive and so widely available. The AR is such a good rifle for so many reasons, but based on the testing below, I'd still prefer an AK for the most brutal winter conditions.

SWAT Magazine April 1986

Treacherous Weather, Dangerous Killers And Lonely Roads Dictate That Alaska State Troopers Be Equipped With The Finest Cold Weather Rifles Available

By Jeffery Hall

Nationwide, law enforcement agencies are encountering criminals armed with sophisticated weapons. Assault rifles, shotguns, quality handguns, and automatic weapons are common. The traditional service revolver and pump shotgun are often outclassed in a firefight.

This situation is especially hazardous to the state trooper or highway patrol officer. These officers work lonely stretches of roadway, far from back-up and support facilities. A rifle can make all the differences, as encounters often take place at ranges beyond the effective range of shotguns or revolvers. This was dramatically shown in the Norco, California, bank robbery.

Several state police agencies have adopted a service rifle to be carried in the patrol car to augment the shotgun and revolver. Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi, Kansas, Idaho and others have selected and adopted a service rifle for general issue. In some cases, this program started after a specific incident in which officers were injured or killed due to a lack of effective firepower.

In February of 1984, I was authorized by the Alaska State Troopers to conduct an evaluation of existing rifles for consideration as a service rifle. Due to the climate of Alaska, certain specific requirements had to be met.

4. Folding stock
5. .223 or .308 calibers

The major firearms importers and manufacturers were contacted and asked to submit a sample weapon for testing. A clear understanding was reached with each supplier that the weapons would probably be damaged during testing.

Upon receipt, each weapon was inspected and field stripped. Each received a thorough cleaning to remove all oil and grease. The weapons were not lubricated at all following the cleaning.

All of the test samples were taken to the range by our special weapons team marksman. He fired each for familiarity, using different firing positions and ranges. We were not concerned with match accuracy, only with a consistent shot group in the four-inch range. All were fired using the same lot of military ball ammo, and the same lots of Federal FMJ ammunition in .223 and .308, respectively.

All of the rifles fired, showed acceptable accuracy, with none being exceptional. The HK-91 showed the tightest groups, averaging about two inches. Approximately 200 rounds were fired through each rifle, and they were not cleaned after shooting.

We then loaded guns and gear into a four-wheel drive vehicle and drove 400 miles north of Fairbanks to Coldfoot, Alaska: The average daily high temperature was -20° F, with lows at night in the -40° F range. These were good working temperatures and would be consistent with much of the state during the winter months.

The first test consisted of leaving the weapons outside for several hours, then bringing them into a warm room for thirty minutes. This allows moisture to condense on the weapons, which then freezes when they are put back outside. This often occurs when a firearm is brought into a warm room then put back into a cold car trunk. This warming/ cooling cycle was repeated six times with each weapon. No malfunctions resulted, with all of the rifles being capable of fire.

Next, one pint of warm water was poured into the bolt and trigger group of each weapon. It was then allowed to stand outside in -20° F weather for three hours. After three additional hours inside we experienced a 60% failure to function in the weapons. Either the hammer would not fall at all, or the hammer fall was too weak to detonate the round. The only weapons that experienced no malfunction were the two Galils, the Valmet and the FNC.

All of the weapons were then brought into a heated room (+70° F) and warmed for thirty minutes. After heating, all of the rifles functioned properly. Unfortunately, heated shelter may not be available when needed.

Finally, all of the weapons were cleaned of ice and lubricated heavily with Break-free. The lubricant was sprayed into the bolts and trigger groups and the weapons were cold soaked for fourteen hours at -40° F. The test showed the true colors of the weapons involved, for all but four failed to function after this test. Again, only the Galils, the Valmet, and the FNC were able to function and fire. The other weapons showed bolts frozen shut, selectors and safeties frozen, and hammers that would not fall. All of the rifles but the Galils, Valmet, and FNC were then eliminated for consideration. These, not surprisingly, share a Kalashnikov ancestry. The weapons performed as follows:

HK-91 A round was chambered and would not fire. Round was manually extracted, another was chambered which did fire. The weapon cycled and the third round would not fire. Manually operated, fourth round would not fire. Charging handle broke off.

HK-93A3 Same as above.

Valmet No Malfunction.

Ruger Mini-14 Five rounds manually cycled, none fired, hammer frozen, safety frozen.

M1-A Bolt would not draw far enough to the rear to chamber a round. Unable to fire.

Colt M-16 Forward assist had to be used to close the bolt. Selector frozen, could not be moved. Five rounds cycled manually, none fired.

FN-FNC Five rounds fired with no malfunctions. Last casing stovepiped in ejection port. Gas regulator moved to "adverse conditions" setting and five rounds fired with no malfunctions.

We later spoke with a factory representative of one of the companies involved, who was very disturbed at our results. He called his engineering department, who assured him that if the weapon was cleaned, then lightly lubricated with a synthetic lubricant, it would function properly. The entire purpose of the evaluation was to see if any of the weapons could stand up to the neglect and direct abuse we gave it. If all had failed, we would have felt that our test was unrealistic. The fact that four of the weapons performed 100% of the time shows that some are suited and some are unsuited to a cold climate. In addition, police officers are notorious for neglecting their equipment, even though their lives depend on it.

There were many other features considered in deciding which weapon we preferred. Weight, balance, trigger pull, sights, ease of operation, cost, availability of options, ease of maintenance, etc. were all considered.

The clear winner and our first choice was the Galil .223. It was 100% reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. It has the best night sights available and an excellent folding stock. It has a reciprocating bolt handle, which can be drawn to the rear then pushed forward to lock a round in the chamber. This is a very desirable feature when the weapon is frozen or very dirty. The bolt and safety can be manipulated with either hand. It is very easy to field strip, without tools, and parts are easily replaced.

The Galil and its accessories are expensive, but not out of reach. If you are with a police department or an individual that works in a cold climate, it is the best weapon you can get.

For information on the Galil, contact: Douglas Evans, Magnum Research, 2825 Anthony Lane S., Minneapolis, MN 55418.

NOTE: The Alaska State Troopers have not yet adopted a service rifle, due to budgetary limitations and other factors. This article expresses the opinions of the author. The Department of Public Safety does not endorse any product.

The author: Jeffrey Hall is a veteran of the 173rd Airborne and 75th Infantry (Ranger). An Alaska State Trooper for seven years, he has been a member of the Department's Special Weapons Team for four years, and is presently assistant team leader. He holds a black belt in karate and is two time state IPSC Pistol Champion.

Troy L. Duncan, Alaska State Trooper, was the co-author of this project. A former Marine captain, Duncan had spent two years testing and evaluating cold weather equipment for the U.S.M.C. Trooper Duncan was a member of the Department's Special Weapons Team and was killed in action while arresting a multiple homicide Suspect.
Yeah, not only that, ... I'm skeptical of an unimpressive SWAT magazine piece from 1986 being a comprehensive source of information for making critical choices regarding "cold weather rifles" in 2018.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCpbXejJfg

As far south as I am, I'll be good to stick with the M4. If I did have to go to another platform, it'd likely be a battle rifle in 7.62 like the FAL or PTR91.
View Quote
Gawwd, I love that guy! Thanks for that vid link!

No doubt on Texas climate ...   I've got relatives in the Fla Panhandle (Pensacola), where it's all about a 5.56 world. No snowflakes on the Redneck Rivera.

Short of a Mini-Ice Age there or in the U.S., southwest, yeah,  it's an AR.  In Alaska, or even if I lived up in Michigan's U.P., it would be something chambered in 7.62 or 30.06.

Now, after watching that Thunder Ranch vid, you've got me seriously thinking about taking a couple of my Garands with a shitload of clips and 1K rounds of M2 ball ammo over to Oregon next December for his Winter Combat Rifle Course, or whatever it was he called it. Dang!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Come on people no one is going to be out committing crimes if it’s that cold
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Come on people no one is going to be out committing crimes if it’s that cold
View Quote
That wasn't the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, ... and there are any number of accounts of M16s choking up in the sandbox - first Gulf War, or the more recent one. Sand will clog actions, no question.

Since we're talking about frigid-weather functioning, there's also the famous story of Korean War MOH recipient, Hector Cafferata, using multiple Garands (loaded and handed to him by wounded buddies) to keep hundreds of Chinese attackers from over-running the right flank of the Marine line at the Chosin Reservoir. Although his MOH citation says he killed something like 50 enemy soldiers,  the Marines who policed the area after the battle think Cafferata killed closer to 200.

Again, as far as functioning under frigid conditions, the M1, and the Garand-derivative M14/M1A, have a well-deserved and hard-earned reputation for reliability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does not mirror my deployment or competitive experience with the M14.

Extremely sensitive to sand ingestion when we had it even near beach sand.  After cleaning out the action and shooting on a sanitized range the next day, it was still malfunctioning.

The reliability reputation of the Garand and M14 is not deserved because they don't do well at all in high debris ingestion environments.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, not only that, ... I'm skeptical of an unimpressive SWAT magazine piece from 1986 being a comprehensive source of information for making critical choices regarding "cold weather rifles" in 2018.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SWAT Magazine April 1986

By Jeffery Hall

4. Folding stock
5. .223 or .308 calibers

HK-93A3 Same as above.

Valmet No Malfunction.

Funny thing I noticed with AKs and ARs next to each other in the actual arctic over several years was that AKs seemed to have way more frequent problems in the cold.  Lots of failures to fire, lots of failures to feed, FTExtract even.

Even 11.5" ARs with good parts ran like champs.  We're talking conditions over 3 days of continuous shooting where you never can see the ground because of the snow pack, and temps never get warmer than -22°C (-7.6°F), with the norm being -22°F.

I also intentionally run a mountain winter DM course at 6600ft ASL here in Utah with sleet and snow.  Interesting to see what corrodes on the guns, especially steel fasteners.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I use slip2000. Warm and cold. Frequently hunt in -0 temps. Slip is good to -59 I think? Either way I’ve never had an issue. Either in an AR or AR10. Sat in snow storms more times than I’d like to admit waiting for it to clear for deer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interesting to see what corrodes on the guns, especially steel fasteners.
View Quote
Elaborate? It makes sense to me to use aluminum for a lot of things that used to be steel, like takedown pins.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is a clip from DSA arms showing a FAL caked in ice. It wasn't perfect but it was very good considering the amount of ice on the weapon and that MAC had his AK jam with less abuse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fA_YHrNyDQ
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is a clip from DSA arms showing a FAL caked in ice. It wasn't perfect but it was very good considering the amount of ice on the weapon and that MAC had his AK jam with less abuse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fA_YHrNyDQ
View Quote
Wow, looks like Im breaking the FAL out of my armory
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wow, looks like Im breaking the FAL out of my armory
View Quote
The FAL comes with its own problems.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Extremely sensitive to sand ingestion when we had it even near beach sand.  After cleaning out the action and shooting on a sanitized range the next day, it was still malfunctioning.
The reliability reputation of the Garand and M14 is not deserved because they don't do well at all in high debris ingestion environments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you didn't read through this thread ... It's about performance in cold weather/below zero environs, not the sand box.

Everyone seems to agree that sand will jam up actions, whether it's the M1/M14 kind, or the M16/M4/AR kind.

The question is: what rifles  -  whether bolt or autoloader  -  work best with proper lube in sub-zero temperatures over the long term?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dude, he has ran shit in Alaska and Finland.
View Quote
Okay, good to know then.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That does not mirror my deployment or competitive experience with the M14. * * * The reliability reputation of the Garand and M14 is not deserved because they don't do well at all in high debris ingestion environments.
View Quote
Okay, serious ('learning') question on the reliability of the M14 action ...  Apparently, quite a number of M14s were/are being fielded among our troops in Afghanistan.

Most of that country sure looks to be qualify as a "high-debris  ingesting environment"  -  lots of dirt and sand, and in some places snow, along with strong arid winds to move it all around and into weapons, no?

So, if you  - or any 'Stan vets here know  - how have/how did our M14s fare in that environment?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So do we have any kind of consensus on what an arctic lubricant is?  Maybe a 0W-X synthetic motor oil?  Trans fluid?

Also, pic of the Sirius Sledge Patrol with 1917s:

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10460556_757615300980449_8184311324152153234_o.jpg?oh=2aeb83f049b265d50902489dcf2f4be5&oe=5AF5FE5B
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Chip's wife seems to make some pretty remarkable shots using the Finnish Mosins.  Can't tell if she's shooting M-39's or M-28's, but I think the Finns ought to know cold weather shooting, along with the native Alaskans.
View Quote
M/39 would be my choice too.

Excellent caliber, modified from a simple but robust action by a people who know a thing or two about arctic conditions.

Plus, having a 90° bolt makes it simple to operate when it is frozen shut, regardless of if it is because of sticky bolt or just iced up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Okay, serious ('learning') question on the reliability of the M14 action ...  Apparently, quite a number of M14s were/are being fielded among our troops in Afghanistan.

Most of that country sure looks to be qualify as a "high-debris  ingesting environment"  -  lots of dirt and sand, and in some places snow, along with strong arid winds to move it all around and into weapons, no?

So, if you  - or any 'Stan vets here know  - how have/how did our M14s fare in that environment?
View Quote
They did very well but they are very heavy once you put an optic, bipod and rail on them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Thule Air Base, Greenland USAF Security Forces use M-14's when there are Polar Bears around.  This from my visit in late 2004 in support of the GMD program.

I *assume* the reason they use it is because it's issued to them (and it works) vs. having some sort of choice in the matter (personal owned firearms are not allowed at TAB, at least if you're an American, not sure about the Greenlander natives).  FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They did very well but they are very heavy once you put an optic, bipod and rail on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I never did read anything bad (beyond LRRPF52's posts) about their performance.

I did know that this platform can get real weighty real fast once you start converting them into long range "snipers" by adding mounts, optics, and bipods. I've got an old SM M1A, so I've been down that road before.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thule Air Base, Greenland USAF Security Forces use M-14's when there are Polar Bears around.  This from my visit in late 2004 in support of the GMD program.
I *assume* the reason they use it is because it's issued to them (and it works) vs. having some sort of choice in the matter (personal owned firearms are not allowed at TAB, at least if you're an American, not sure about the Greenlander natives).  FWIW.
View Quote
Thanks! Good to know.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, if it is another mini-ice age, or a full blown gut busting mother humping ice-age down here in Mississippi, there will be other things to worry about, but I will have all the bases covered for the south bound polar bears looking for easy meals around here, Mosin-Nagants M91/30's, Sako .338WM, and G20's, I am GTG...
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"Lubricant, Arctic Weather"

It's actually Lubricant, Aircraft Weapons.

Developed so guns at high altitude wouldn't freeze.

My understanding is it is a plasticizer based lube like the original G-96.

Make sure you get ALL of the conventional oils out of a weapon before applying either of those or it will turn to gum.
View Quote
Actually, it's Lubricating Oil, Weapons, Low Temperature.

Ground guys refer to it as Lubricant Arctic Weapons.  I haven't spent any time in air units but i can only assume they refer to it as Lubricant Aircraft Weapons.  From the information below, it appears to me LAW was originally developed for small arms and was adopted by air units....although the older link below indicates LAW didn't do as well as other lubricants.

USMC OCS Lubricant Arctic Weapons

From this link:

(3)Extreme cold/artic.
 Clean and lubricate the rifle in a warm room with the rifle at room temperature, if possible.  Lubricating Oil, Arctic Weapons (LAW) can be used below a temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit and must be used below -35 degrees Fahrenheit.

(a)  Keep the rifle covered when moving from a warm to cold environment to allow gradual cooling of the rifle.  This prevents the condensation of moisture and freezing.

(b)  Always try to keep the rifle dry.

(c)  Unload and perform a function check every 30 minutes to help prevent freezing of functioning parts.

(d)  Do not lay a warm rifle in the snow or ice.

(e)  Condensation will form on the rifle when it is moved from outdoors to indoors.  If possible, leave the rifle in a protected but cold area outdoors.  When bringing the rifle inside to
a warm place, it should be disassembled and wiped down several times as it warms.

(f)  Keep the inside of the magazine and ammunition dry.  Moisture will freeze and cause malfunctions.

Tech specs for LAW

From the link:

6.1 Intended use.
The lubricating oil covered by this specification is intended primarily for the lubrication of aircraft and ground weapons to ensure efficient firing at low temperatures. The oil covered by this specification is considered military unique because it must perform at temperatures between 0F to - 70F (-17.8 to - 56.6C)

Link for testing of cold weather lubricants for aircraft weapons, LAW didn't so as well as other lubes in this test
From the link:
Lubricant MIL-L-14107B(LAW) is a fluid and is the authorized arctic preservative lubricant for small-arms weapons under cold-weather conditions (0' to -65'•F)

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Based upon the tests conducted, MIL-L-14137B lubricant cannot be recommended for use at any temperature on the 7.62MM Automatic Gun GAU-2B/A, known as the Minigun. MIL-L-46150(LSA-T) can be used from ambient temperature to -30*F. Lubricant AWC #1 or AWC #6 can be used satisfactorily from 0* to -65*F on this weapon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it's probably just how they are made. Ar15s are made to tighter tolerances and typically have aluminum recievers which shrinks a little in the cold.
And AKs are sloppy steel whores that usually run no matter what.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#37]
(3)Extreme cold/arctic.

Clean and lubricate the rifle in a warm room with the rifle at room temperature, if possible. Lubricating Oil, Arctic Weapons (LAW) can be used below a temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit and must be used below -35 degrees Fahrenheit.

(a)  Keep the rifle covered when moving from a warm to cold environment to allow gradual cooling of the rifle.  This prevents the condensation of moisture and freezing.

(b)  Always try to keep the rifle dry.

(c)  Unload and perform a function check every 30 minutes to help prevent freezing of functioning parts.

(d)  Do not lay a warm rifle in the snow or ice.

(e)  Condensation will form on the rifle when it is moved from outdoors to indoors.  If possible, leave the rifle in a protected but cold area outdoors.
View Quote
Everything here sounds good, ... except for (c), like when you're being shot at, or chased by a hungry bruin of some variant (i.e., Brown, Griz, or Polar).
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#38]
FWIW, I lubed up an old sloppy Sig 226 with my usual White Lithium, and stuck it in my freezer for a day or so.

It works, but the slide is very slow to return to battery.
Idk how well it would work with live ammo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#39]
An AUG.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Right and complete answer to the thread:

Based on military training in northern Finland - this how you do it way above the arctic circle:

If you are dumb, any gun will be frozen solid within a few days.
Being dumb in this context means taking in to the tent (warm, gun gets moisture) and then out to freeze again multiple times. Tent has warm air, which contains a lot of moisture. It can be like a steam bath when you full squad coming in with wet clothes...

Being smart, most modern guns should work. That means clean it, lube it (even regular motoroil will do), and once you take it out to subzero temps, keep it out until job is jobbed.

If you shoot, gun warms up. Not a biggie outside, since its cold and cold air not contain that moisture.

No need for fancy magic oils. My longest exposure is over 2 weeks with really cold weather and non-stop infantry stuff. Gun was SAKO RK95 which is AK-pattern.

Note: Operating with vehicles can problematic. This applies to for example IFVs, APCs etc. For the reasons mentioned above. This is why skiing is nice.

Being dumb gets you killed. Being dumb in arctic conditions gets you killed quicker. And if you think you drank enough fluids - guess again and hydrate.

User Frozenny got it right on the previous page.

Common sense and all laws of physics apply.

Any questions?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Shooters Choice faired well in the freezer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

I did alright in -20 with mobile 1.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Based on military training in northern Finland - this how you do it way above the arctic circle:

Being dumb in this context means taking in to the tent (warm, gun gets moisture) and then out to freeze again multiple times. Tent has warm air, which contains a lot of moisture. It can be like a steam bath when you full squad coming in with wet clothes...

Being smart, most modern guns should work. That means clean it, lube it (even regular motoroil will do), and once you take it out to subzero temps, keep it out until job is jobbed.

If you shoot, gun warms up. Not a biggie outside, since its cold and cold air not contain that moisture.

No need for fancy magic oils. My longest exposure is over 2 weeks with really cold weather and non-stop infantry stuff. Gun was SAKO RK95 which is AK-pattern.

Note: Operating with vehicles can problematic. This applies to for example IFVs, APCs etc. For the reasons mentioned above. This is why skiing is nice.

Being dumb gets you killed. Being dumb in arctic conditions gets you killed quicker. And if you think you drank enough fluids - guess again and hydrate.

Any questions?
View Quote
Lots of good info in this post.

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#44]
What a great thread. I have learned quite a bit reading through this. Thanks to all who have posted, especially those who have personal experience with the subject matter...
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Any questions?
View Quote
Also - rifle is best stored against the cold ground under tent sleeve next to where you sleep.. Place it there from outside. Ground is cold enough and rifle will not be full of snow if it rains during night. And you can also reach for it if you need it in a hurry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's hardly a test, and it doesn't even look that cold
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not personally a MAC fan but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVe7d7xJdAo
That's hardly a test, and it doesn't even look that cold
Yeah, what he’s wearing makes me think it’s maybe 0-10F at the coldest. Lightweight gloves, fleece, no hat, you know he’s either outside for no more than s few minutes or it’s not really cold.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Circa 1987 I vaguely recall in machine gunnery school they did say LSA for cold weather instead of CLP.   I don’t recall Lubricant, Arctic Weather.   And I was issued skis, snow shoes, and pulled a MFn akio sled.

Then again my first winter fx gear up for cold weather training and  They sent us out in standard field jackets and black leather boots.   It was -30 at night and of course I was in a night ambush that didn’t get sprung til 0130.   Our special issue was the field jacket liner and the leather gloves with liners.   The next year we got lots more including mickeys and CW parkas and extreme CW bags.   The third year we got the whole shebang with over whites and large Alice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAW comes in a 1-quart metal can, like paint thinner just smaller, and is reddish in color. Very low viscosity, obviously, it looks like ATF cut with kerosene or something like that. It’s been decades since I had some so I can’t tell you what it smelled like.

LSA is very thick, the consistency of white glue. You don’t want to use it in extreme cold.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Moisture is the enemy. Once cold, the rifle needs to stay cold. If you get in a vehicle, keep it in the trunk or bed, and if it’s in the cab with you then keep the windows down and heater off. As has been said, when you bring it inside, wipe moisture off as it melts and keep it lubed. Better to leave it outside. It’s a lot like working on a truck air brakes, bring it in a nice warm shop and you’re just asking for problems if you don’t let it stay in till it's completely thawed. This can take days with our fuel trucks, 5000 gallons of Jet-A is a nice cold sink. I do most of the work on ours outside just for that reason, both the brakes and the fueling module are controlled by air and it doesn’t take much ice in a shuttle valve or interlock to stop things up. Replacing a starter at -20F isn’t fun, but I dress warmly enough to go without gloves for about 20 minutes without being frostbitten. It’s much better than dealing with ice in the air lines for the next 3 days. Or all winter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Frozen Chosin vet describes the weather...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6uupAEKIU

Or this one, ... Old film footage, but skip to the 1:04 mark for weather-related scenes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtfxYt3PfWY
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Moisture is the enemy. Once cold, the rifle needs to stay cold. If you get in a vehicle, keep it in the trunk or bed, and if it's in the cab with you then keep the windows down and heater off. As has been said, when you bring it inside, wipe moisture off as it melts and keep it lubed. Better to leave it outside. It's a lot like working on a truck air brakes, bring it in a nice warm shop and you're just asking for problems if you don't let it stay in till it's completely thawed. This can take days with our fuel trucks, 5000 gallons of Jet-A is a nice cold sink. I do most of the work on ours outside just for that reason, both the brakes and the fueling module are controlled by air and it doesn't take much ice in a shuttle valve or interlock to stop things up. Replacing a starter at -20F isn't fun, but I dress warmly enough to go without gloves for about 20 minutes without being frostbitten. It's much better than dealing with ice in the air lines for the next 3 days. Or all winter.
View Quote
Yea, that's right up there with going to prison on my "Fuck That!" list.  

Someone mentioned ATF (or ATF-like viscosity):  Is ATF, especially synthetic ATF a good cold weather lubricant?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top