User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt anyone is going to take OP's advice.

Some serious fantasy going on with OP.

My present concern is how cold it's been in my AO.  Would be tough to dig up gear in this freezing weather.  I don't want to exert the energy to doing so, and if I wait til it gets warmer, my family may starve to death.  What would OP do?

ETA:  Are you trying to set the world record for 10,000 posts in a month?
View Quote
It’s been brutal this past week. My home is where I have my what I need in the event of an emergency for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep some supplies in the detached garage as a backup and to make it easy and discreet to load up.

There, my contribution.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I do keep the long term storage survival food, spare water filter bucket setup, and data backups in the root cellar in case of fire. Now that I have a second house on the property, a lot of extras and gear will be in the old house to keep the new house decluttered. No power in the old house, and only limited in the future, limits fire chances.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So you're saying to rent a storage unit and then dig a hole and bury your stuff away from your storage unit?* * *
View Quote
Well, history teaches that the Alamo was cozy and safe ... for a while.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gunkid -- is that you?
View Quote
never mind
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Between this and your other post I am not sure if you understand the forums
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
How would this have helped the Branch Davidians?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Between this and your other post I am not sure if you understand the forums
View Quote
I'm reasonably sure he doesn't care.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope nope nope. The only thing more commonly burglarized then a car is a storage unit. They are hit something like 3x more then homes and twice that of cars.

Two things the go for is PII and camping equipment.

If you put your stores in a storage unit it won't last a week in the bad/ cheap ones and maybe a few months in the more expensive ones.

They either cut and switch locks and unload at their convenience  or the roll through and hit several units in a night. Either way your shit is gone.
View Quote
The basic concepts you use for security in your home apply when choosing a storage unit.

If your house has motion detection lights out front, but your neighbor's doesn't, which home do you thing burglars are going for?

Knock on wood, but I haven't had a single problem with security at the complex I own, and it's pretty rural.

No on site management, but security cameras and automatic locking gates go a long way in being a harder target than the next guy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

the only one that makes sense, in the US, for shtf. An M4.
View Quote
I'm trying to take you seriously, I mean this sincerely, but with a comment like that...
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm trying to take you seriously, I mean this sincerely, but with a comment like that...
View Quote
ETA: Jokes on me, OP was a troll.  I'm actually rather relieved about that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The basic concepts you use for security in your home apply when choosing a storage unit.

If your house has motion detection lights out front, but your neighbor's doesn't, which home do you thing burglars are going for?

Knock on wood, but I haven't had a single problem with security at the complex I own, and it's pretty rural.

No on site management, but security cameras and automatic locking gates go a long way in being a harder target than the next guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope nope nope. The only thing more commonly burglarized then a car is a storage unit. They are hit something like 3x more then homes and twice that of cars.

Two things the go for is PII and camping equipment.

If you put your stores in a storage unit it won't last a week in the bad/ cheap ones and maybe a few months in the more expensive ones.

They either cut and switch locks and unload at their convenience  or the roll through and hit several units in a night. Either way your shit is gone.

Problem is insider theft.

Only storage unit break-in I’ve ever suffered was in the most expensive, 24 hour security, cameras, etc. place in town.

Conveniently, nothing suspicious was on any cameras. Funny, that.

Problem with cameras and manning, it gives workers there more chances to watch what you take in and take out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys are shitbirds.

Thread never got to describing spider holes, suppressed 22's etc. Lol.

Some of you newer guys need to go Google this guy. Him and his clones show up at least once a year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You guys are shitbirds.

Thread never got to describing spider holes, suppressed 22's etc. Lol.

Some of you newer guys need to go Google this guy. Him and his clones show up at least once a year.
View Quote
lol i forgot about the spider holes
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#15]
it's not that hard to make a hidden root cellar, or store or bury stuff in the crawlspace under your house, or bury a barrel behind the house, or in your grandma's back 40.. A buried 55 gallon barrel will hold a LOT of food, and ammo.  What would it cost to bury a barrel with 50lbs rice, 50 lbs beans,  spare pistol , ammo, and water filters  and a few other useful things?   Under $300 if you use a cheap handgun ?  Vac sealed it would be good for 30 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#16]
20 plus years ago storage unit with key code knew full well if you entered and never left.  So drive in and stay, they know it.  May not do much about it, or they might.  I rented a big one for a spare car I could not keep in the parent's driveway and a place to work on said car.  They knew I was there for a lot of hours, kinda became a hangout with some friends I had at the time.  But they also knew I left.  Came up in a discussion when I was paying rent one day cause someone was living in unit and they knew it and I knew it and we both sorta wanted to see if the other knew it.  And they knew I worked on my vehicle there, I left door up when working on it and they stopped and chatted now and then.

It had a power outlet and I asked because using it much cause I am that sort.  They had a few folks who would try to pull too much power and pop the circuit.  Amazingly enough, some folks never got the circuit reset and since it was not in the rental agreement there was not much that person could do.  In each and every instance, if it popped rarely they reset.  You make a habit out of abusing it and don't learn from it popping then they let time teach you a lesson.

Another unit had lights on a timer.  Kinda cool but loud sucker.

I have had stuff stolen out of a storage unit, they too advantage of a corner of the fence and got the closest units to where they came over.  Only took stuff they could easily toss over fence.  I stopped in cause I saw the police there.  I never got a call about it and was on way to work when I saw police vehicle and swung in just to see what was up.

In looking at design of most units, anyone who rents one unit can probably dismantle a panel or wall and get into adjoining units.  Your call on how secure you consider that.

Not sure what else I think on this, don't keep everything in one basket but do keep in mind a basket you don't check on may not be there when you need it.  Youtube has more than one fella going to check on his "y2k stash" or whatever shtf stash and it is no longer there.  Or they just can't find it.  As far as putting stuff in the ground, something like a 55 gallon drum is going to want to raise up out of the ground depending on ground water and what not.  Drainage and all that can be important.  Does depend on your ground.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#17]
bored, thought this was locked.

-I've used the old gen 1 tube $200 stuff. It's been addressed in previous threads...it's a waste of money. You have to upgrade to get any usable value. You will spend your time holding a crappy viewer, that shines light on your face, with IR light on, to see a whole 20 yards. It's junk and the tube has a short life.

Perhaps the latest IR iphone stuff could be useful, but it will shine back at you and illuminate like a beacon.

Don't buy garbage and you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
You do whatever you want op, the only thing im burying is poop and dead things.  only as a last resort would i bury any thing of real value
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top