Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:11:43 PM EDT
You ever get something in your eye or scratch it?
Wear contacts too?
Try to sleep with the scraping...can be very rough.

Keep an eye antibiotic for healing the abrasion.
Find a numbing agent for sanity.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I was cutting an exhaust off a car once with a cutting wheel and a metal sliver bounced under my safety glasses.

I left it for a few days, thought I had it out, hurt like hell.

Went into eye doctor and he said the sliver was screwed into my eye and had a rust spore around it.

Removed sliver and scraped the rust spore off.

I felt like I had a fork stuck in my eye for a few days.

The eye heals fast, but not fast enough as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here, I got a few metal shavings (dust particle sized) in an eye once and not only did it hurt, but it hurt worse and made my eye water in bright light. I drove east to work in the morning and west on the way home, I was miserable for a few days. A couple days later I broke my glasses at work and while getting an exam for a new pair the eye doc asked if I'd gotten metal in my eyes recently. There were still rust stains on the cornea. She told me the corneacheals very quickly, but like you said it's not quickly enough.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I work at airport jet went around corner,  he decided he wanted to do a burn out one of the guys got a piece of metal in his eye,  started rubbing it as most folks would do

turned out he scratched up his lens pretty good,  workmans comp paid him to be out for a min.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was cutting an exhaust off a car once with a cutting wheel and a metal sliver bounced under my safety glasses.

I left it for a few days, thought I had it out, hurt like hell.

Went into eye doctor and he said the sliver was screwed into my eye and had a rust spore around it.

Removed sliver and scraped the rust spore off.

I felt like I had a fork stuck in my eye for a few days.

The eye heals fast, but not fast enough as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote
Had the same thing happen under one of my old Land Cruisers; it's one of the reasons I like the newer wrap around style safety glasses better than the older boxy style I had been using.  I went to the ER that night and the doc was able to get it out with a fine needle otherwise they were going to have an ophthalmologist drill it out.

Always best not to mess around with your eyes and hope that you got it out- you only have one set of eyes and despite their ability to heal they can still be quite fragile.  I keep an inexpensive pair of clear safety glasses in my truck bag and I've always got a couple pairs in the garage to wear while using tools.  On a related note- if you ever take a SAR class one of the items they require is a pair of safety glasses that you are required to wear during night searches.  

Be very careful if using any anesthetic in the eye and follow your physician's advice to the letter- do not use them for more than the prescribed duration as damage can occur (corneal thinning).
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
...any emergency numbing agents?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Ironically this happened to me a week ago.  

I always keep B&L allergy eye meds on hand too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're very difficult to get without Rx.  Proparacaine is what my OD uses.

Honestly, quality eye pro is about all that most people can do.  Otherwise, stock up on gauze, and try to track down some antibiotic eyedrops if you are preparing to that level.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad lost vision in one eye in the 1970s from a finishing nails. Miracle of modern medicine restored the vision in that eye after decades. Always wear PPE. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Honestly, quality eye pro is about all that most people can do.  Otherwise, stock up on gauze, and try to track down some antibiotic eyedrops if you are preparing to that level.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My opthamologist uses cocaine eye drops.
They now have a clear soft contact that they put over the eye with a cornea injury, to keep the eyelid from aggravating it.
This works better than patching the eye shut.

Bandage contact lenses
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My opthamologist uses cocaine eye drops.
They now have a clear soft contact that they put over the eye with a cornea injury, to keep the eyelid from aggravating it.
This works better than patching the eye shut.

Bandage contact lenses
View Quote
Bandage CLs are only useful if you can remove the foreign body from the cornea.  If it's a metallic object, then that includes the rust ring.

In a survival situation, you'll be pretty limited if you don't have the training and resources to perform these procedures.  And at least 2 people (1 casualty, 1 provider)
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a magnifying mirror and can look around the area and actually see the spot that the particle is embedded, you may be able to remove it with a clean paper match stick soaked in a sterile eyewash like visine or whatever is on hand. put the softened paper match in your eye as close to the embedded area as possible, roll your eyeball around and rinse your eye right away so loosened particle does not stick again. I have had probably ten successes doing this. The sooner the better, once your eye is sore and irritated, it is harder and takes longer to get done.

WSS
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Sterile cotton applicator is better and cheap, but wet paper match would be field expedient.

Typically, metal is embedded in the corneal tissue (to varying depths), so you may need an actual scraping tool or tweezers.  Both of which are painful without local anesthetics.  

ETA:  I forgot to add sterile eyewash to the list.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sterile cotton applicator is better and cheap, but wet paper match would be field expedient.

Typically, metal is embedded in the corneal tissue (to varying depths), so you may need an actual scraping tool or tweezers.  Both of which are painful without local anesthetics.  

ETA:  I forgot to add sterile eyewash to the list.
View Quote
First time I tried it was in the field. I have tried the cotton applicator like the Dr. uses with too much poking around and probing. The soaked match seems to cover a wider area and is a little more "scraping" than cotton,when laid in long ways. I can get results usually in the first try if I can locate it first visually. Of course this is alone self fixing. With help, it would be another story.

WSS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top